ADVERTISEMENT

BTN and the Baseball tournment

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
What is the sence in have a conference network and not carring all the games on TV?

Instead they replay some tOSU football game.

What is the sence in have a conference network and not carring all the games on TV?

Instead they replay some tOSU football game.
Ratings. Very few people care about college baseball, especially fans in the big ten, other than NU fans.

Ratings. Very few people care about college baseball, especially fans in the big ten, other than NU fans.
Chicken vs. egg. Big Ten baseball will grow faster if the conference effectively uses its network to promote it. And it most certainly blew the opportunity to showcase 2015 as the best season in conference history.

That said, it isn't only about ratings. If BTN's programming were based solely on ratings, it would only ever cover football and men's basketball. There needs to be a balance. It does seem silly, though, to have a 13-15 game tournament and put four of the games on BTN Plus. If live baseball can be on BTN at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday (more valuable TV real estate) it seems it could be on at 9:00 a.m. on a Wednesday (less valuable).

Reactions: k9_r and scarletred
Chicken vs. egg. Big Ten baseball will grow faster if the conference effectively uses its network to promote it. And it most certainly blew the opportunity to showcase 2015 as the best season in conference history.

That said, it isn't only about ratings. If BTN's programming were based solely on ratings, it would only ever cover football and men's basketball. There needs to be a balance. It does seem silly, though, to have a 13-15 game tournament and put four of the games on BTN Plus. If live baseball can be on BTN at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday (more valuable TV real estate) it seems it could be on at 9:00 a.m. on a Wednesday (less valuable).
+1

Chris Webb has an explanation (<--- link) from BTN...

"We were always scheduled to air two games live each on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. As was the case last year, our agreement with the conference does not contemplate the new tournament and the agreement was not re-opened to renegotiate that point. That said, we are now able to stream any game that is not televised on BTN Plus.

Once we see the bracket, we will determine which two games will be televised Wednesday and then stream the other two. We also will televise the winner’s bracket on Thursday as well as a potential third game, but we won’t know for certain until after the regular season is complete. Then, beginning on Friday, we will televise all remaining games.

We did explore whether and how we could cost-effectively televise all the games, given the increased interest in Big Ten baseball. On Wednesday and Thursday, the games are scheduled for 9 a.m., 1 p.m., 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. To produce all four games, our crew(s) would need to work from 4 a.m. until about 1 a.m. (assuming the 4th game is a 3-hour game). And then be back at work three hours later for the next day’s games. The good news is that we are now able to stream any game that will not be on TV."

I continue to believe that BTN content is approved and contracted for by B1G high mucky mucks. The conference has baseball on low priority by my eyes.

Thanks K9_r, Why would a crew need to start at 4:00am in the morning 5 hours before the first pitch?
Second why not have 2 crews so you don't have to be back so early.

The purpose of having a TV network like this is to carry all your congerence games in a tournament on TV like basketball unless another station like ESPN or CBS or ABC carry it which isn't the case for Baseball.

Thanks K9_r, Why would a crew need to start at 4:00am in the morning 5 hours before the first pitch?
Second why not have 2 crews so you don't have to be back so early.

The purpose of having a TV network like this is to carry all your congerence games in a tournament on TV like basketball unless another station like ESPN or CBS or ABC carry it which isn't the case for Baseball.

All SEC tournament games will be aired. But, in fairness to BTN, some SEC games will be broadcast by other networks lifting the burden a bit off SEC Network's shoulders.

Donno why a 4 AM start is needed. No clue.

What I meant was his statement implied that the only way to air all the games would be to have people work almost around the clock. Which of course is ridiculous.

What I meant was his statement implied that the only way to air all the games would be to have people work almost around the clock. Which of course is ridiculous.

I have no idea why BTN can't assign a second crew for full coverage. They seem to be restricted somehow from doing that. No clue why.

I only meant that the BTN Plus crew is their student effort and not done by regular crew. Much lower production level and not up to broadcast standards.

ESPNU also has a student production effort for some online streaming. Used to be able to access those via pirate operations out of Europe but something happened over there and shut it down.

Student level production streaming is also common with several universities. Some of that can be accessed with a subscription. Every student production I've seen is substandard production.

http://www.collegesportslive.com/?popup=true

BTW, I find that SEC Network will broadcast every tournament game but the championship. That goes to ESPN2.

And that's a lot of games. Twelve of their 14 teams get in. Bottom eight have a single elimination play-in round. Top four draw a bye.

I have no idea why BTN can't assign a second crew for full coverage. They seem to be restricted somehow from doing that. No clue why.

I only meant that the BTN Plus crew is their student effort and not done by regular crew. Much lower production level and not up to broadcast standards.

ESPNU also has a student production effort for some online streaming. Used to be able to access those via pirate operations out of Europe but something happened over there and shut it down.

Student level production streaming is also common with several universities. Some of that can be accessed with a subscription. Every student production I've seen is substandard production.

http://www.collegesportslive.com/?popup=true

BTW, I find that SEC Network will broadcast every tournament game but the championship. That goes to ESPN2.

And that's a lot of games. Twelve of their 14 teams get in. Bottom eight have a single elimination play-in round. Top four draw a bye.

As an Indiana fan I can attest that BIG baseball is increasing in popularity. Having gone to the CWS two years ago there is a significant increase in interest in baseball by IU fans. I'm sure with the seasons Illinois and Iowa are having those fan bases will increase their following as well. Conference tournaments are the culmination of someone's successful season. It doesn't make sense to me for the BTN not to cover every aspect of all the tournaments live and on the main channel. Who gives a &$@$ about a two year old OSU football game except OSU fans, but don't make the rest of us suffer. (If they wanted to watch it you can't tell me they didn't DVR it and already watched it 20 times. (( Unless it was against Florida)). I agree with the chicken or the egg theory. A sport will increase in popularity if the public is exposed to it.

Lets face it, if you put money in a program and win then they (fans) will come. Nebraska and Indiana saw it during their respective rises. Iowa several days of 2K-2.5K (which is a sell out) at our field. Illinois is drawing good.

The B1G and BTN need to realize that this conference is a sleeping major in baseball IMO. Look at the amount of talent in B1G states. If the conference AND schools would start to put money and vest in baseball then I have no doubt we'd be a 5-6 bid league EVERY year.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT