ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson Williams

Bryson should be congratulated on receiving a scholarship to the University of Wisconsin. That is a tremendous accomplishment for anyone to earn an athletic scholarship to any Big 10 school. I hope his entire family savors this moment for a lifetime.

With that being said...from all reports, Nebraska was upfront and honest with him about the number of scholarships for the 2018 class and other reasons why they chose not to offer a scholarship to him. Don't poke the bear before leaving town for Madison or it might not be much fun playing Nebraska in the future.Winking

bear.jpg

I like your confidence but why on earth would anyone from Wisconsin lose a wink of sleep worrying about Nebraska? Maybe that will change going forward but it isn't the case now

I like your confidence but why on earth would anyone from Wisconsin lose a wink of sleep worrying about Nebraska? Maybe that will change going forward but it isn't the case now

It might not be as enjoyable for "him".

That's really stupid. Having an in-state player spurn us for Wisconsin would be something to be concerned about. Going there without an offer is not, unless he becomes a big star, which is far from certain.

Stupid? Stupid is wasting time being pissed about getting spurned by an 18 year old. If he had an offer and didn't want to be here. See ya.

Everyone talks about Riley being a good evaluator of qbs...and others follow his lead. I would say we should look to Wisconsin when it comes to linemen. Over the last 10 years they have produced some pretty stout line play. (Just on the "o-side" they have sent ten linemen to the NFL in ten years. They have had three different coaches but Alvarez has been the constant. If Wisky is in on someone, we should take notice.

Who are the stout defensive linemen?
I would venture to say we have had more DLinemen drafted than they have.

They have had 5 DL drafted in the past 10 years. The best one didn't have a scholarship offer from Wisconsin.

Last edited:
You can quibble about what constitutes a late offer ... But I suspect he is referring to the poaching of recruits holding offers from Wyoming and the Dakotas after we exhausted the recruits with power 5 offers on the board.

I forgot about Walker. So that makes three in two years?

I always thought the thing about keeping in-state kids in-state even if they are aren't as highly rated others was to bring in the kid that dreamed of wearing the N, and will put out that much more effort. I think, in this kid's case, that "magic" isn't there. He didn't grow up as a Husker fan, and his family aren't fans. I've heard he has compared other schools favorably to NU, to include Iowa and KSU.

If I'm this kid, and have no emotional connection to a school, Wiscy looks pretty enticing, given their constant success and track record of taking underrated guys and getting them drafted. So, I can't hate him for that.

I wish him the best, at the end of the day. We have bigger fish to catch, and we already have an in-state NT committed in an already small class.

Congrats to the kid. This 500 mile radius stuff is being looked into continually as before, but we are after big time prospects too. We have offered dang near every top kid in Missouri this year, the commit Farniok from SD, Wildeman from CO, and of course Mapieu from York. This gets blown way out of proportion every time this happens.

Reactions: jflores
Bryan Munson on Bahe today. Transcript by Red Reign

"Did Nebraska make the right decision to not offer Bryson Williams and not persue him? Change of defense from 4-3 to 3-4/size of class were big factors. The numbers are just not there. The Huskers were put into a bad situation with what they could do with the class numbers. Wisconsin also runs the 3-4. Wisconsin is in a much better situation to take a chance on a guy like Williams and figure out where he fits in a 3-4 than Nebraska is right now (Bucky is taking a chance). Body style and physical makeup are also considerations. Bottom line is Nebraska does not have the luxury this year in taking a guy like him and hoping to figure out somewhere down the road where he could fit. "

Last edited:
Sounds like sour grapes. "Bucky is taking a chance.". I am doubting Barry and the boys are talking this way.

He may be no good. But Wisky tends to know what they are doing with big bodies.

Sounds like sour grapes. "Bucky is taking a chance.". I am doubting Barry and the boys are talking this way.

He may be no good. But Wisky tends to know what they are doing with big bodies.
Or he's telling it like it is. Doesn't sound like sour grapes to me. But if that's how you want to take his words go ahead.

Nice post from SSO.

"Just looking back at Parrella's recruits his first year:

Guy Thomas - Alabama, LSU, Florida, State, Michigan, Notre Dame
Damion Daniels - Florida, LSU, Michigan, Texas, USC
Deiontae Watts - Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Texas, USC
Deontre Thomas - Michigan, Arizona State, Texas A&M
Masry Mapieu - UCLA, Iowa

If we recruit at that level... he can go after whoever he wants in my opinion. Now, the Wildeman offer was Diaco telling him what he was looking for so I didn't include him (admittedly to skew things a bit). But our final guys we are looking at to fill the final 1 to 2 spots on the DL are these guys that we are definitely top 3/5 with:

Judge Culpepper - Alabama, Gerorgia, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC
Daniel Carson - Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas
Jalen Redmond - Oklahoma, TCU, Georgia

I want to again just point out we aren't passing on local guys for Louisiana kids we are taking flyers on. We are beating out Alabama and Georgia for DL. I'll trust it until it's proven Parrella and the guys he is going after can't play."

And further comments on Mr. Williams' Landof10 comments

"1 - Not sure why we would tell him he's better than a kid slated to play a different position than what we were recruiting him for.

2 - Riley wouldn't throw a current commit under the bus like that.

3 - Parrella wouldn't throw a current commit under the bus like that.

4 - If we truly believed that, there's plenty of ways we could have got out of the Masry commitment.

5 - I don't hear one recruit calling out another very often, that's interesting."

Hard to have sour grapes on a kid you never invited to the party.
Bryan Munson has zero to do with the decision on who gets invited to the party. He's not a coach. He can have sour grapes just like a lot of fans who say, "We didn't want him anyway...he's a big risk...we have bigger fish to fry."

Bryan Munson has zero to do with the decision on who gets invited to the party. He's not a coach. He can have sour grapes just like a lot of fans who say, "We didn't want him anyway...he's a big risk...we have bigger fish to fry."

Except we actually didn't want him anyway (the kid admitted this). That's not a snide remark by a shunned fan/analyst in this case.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Ah, yes, the Tom of old. Sticking to his line even when it is clearly pointed out why that is folly to stick to that line.

Why must it be sour grapes? Why can't he be telling it like it is? There must be a reason the coaches didn't offer him... maybe it's because he was too big of a risk?

Nah, it's sour grapes, right? Has to be.

Ah, yes, the Tom of old. Sticking to his line even when it is clearly pointed out why that is folly to stick to that line.

Why must it be sour grapes? Why can't he be telling it like it is? There must be a reason the coaches didn't offer him... maybe it's because he was too big of a risk?

I'm kind of wondering when old Tom will show his face around here to fight his own battles.

it doesn't have to be sour grapes. It could be either. Furthermore, if he is such a huge risk why did the two teams in front of us in the west, who are by far more physical than us, offer him?

it doesn't have to be sour grapes. It could be either. Furthermore, if he is such a huge risk why did the two teams in front of us in the west, who are by far more physical than us, offer him?
Munson gave a rational argument why. I suggest you reread it.

Because they have more available scholarships. Additionally, even though Iowa offered, I believe they didn't have room on the DL for him after Noah Shannon committed.

For a traditionalist, you are really going out of your way to go to bat for a kid who has no real love for NU and may even be lying about things the staff told him.

How about going to bat for Mr. Nebraska in John Parella, on either:

1. His evaluation of prospects for his position group
2. Him not being satisfied with the state of DL physicality and being in prime position to correct this?

As a fellow Husker, he'd probably appreciate your support, instead of sticking up for the Badger kid and having Chryst do our evaluations for us.

For a traditionalist, you are really going out of your way to go to bat for a kid who has no real love for NU and may even be lying about things the staff told him.

How about going to bat for Mr. Nebraska in John Parella, on either:

1. His evaluation of prospects for his position group
2. Him not being satisfied with the state of DL physicality and being in prime position to correct this?

As a fellow Husker, he'd probably appreciate your support, instead of sticking up for the Badger kid and having Chryst do our evaluations for us.
How about it could be a numbers thing...which is exactly what the Williams said Parella told him. Now, the issue is whether or not we took the right Nebraska kid. This is where some fans may be having sour grapes. The outcome won't be known for about 4-5 years.

How about it could be a numbers thing...which is exactly what the Williams said Parella told him. Now, the issue is whether or not we took the right Nebraska kid. This is where some fans may be having sour grapes. The outcome won't be known for about 4-5 years.
You didn't say "sour grapes by some fans..." you applied sour grapes to Bryan Munson. That's what I took issue with... you even quoted Munson in your response.

I can agree that some fans may be experiencing sour grapes. But I don't agree that Munson was a sour grapes guy in his explanation. IMO.

You didn't say "sour grapes by some fans..." you applied sour grapes to Bryan Munson. That's what I took issue with... you even quoted Munson in your response.

I can agree that some fans may be experiencing sour grapes. But I don't agree that Munson was a sour grapes guy in his explanation. IMO.

Tom also doesn't mention the alleged conversation where JP and Riley told Williams he was better than Mapieu.

But the sour grapes are all the Nebraska fans. Ha ha

Tom also doesn't mention the alleged conversation where JP and Riley told Williams he was better than Mapieu.

But the sour grapes are all the Nebraska fans. Ha ha

Yeah, I'd take that quote with a grain of salt. I'm not saying he's lying, I'm just not entirely certain he's telling the whole truth. We don't know the context of the conversation he had, so honestly its a crapshoot.

The kid isn't ideal at all for the 3-4. I just don't see where he will fit. He would have been a much better fit at Iowa but they took a higher rated kid last week.

ADVERTISEMENT