ADVERTISEMENT

Brutal Honesty

You can’t do a combo thing like that.

If he wanted to do that, why not keep Gebbia around and name him starter, save a year of eligibility for Martinez by redshirting him.

what you are describing is similar to what is happening at University of Houston. Redshirting starting players in the coach’s first year and hoping that the talent is better in year 2 and those redshirted players don’t transfer.
I agree with the poster who said Scott might be the reason this isn't one of the worst teams in the nation. If the NCAA did to us what we've done to ourselves in terms of missing scholarship in the upper classes, we'd call it "death penalty."

I dunno how much better I'm supposed to feel about watching some walk-ons lose like they want it more while young scholarship guys get no game experience and start thinking maybe they should transfer.

You desperately need to preserve all the redshirts you can in that 2019 class so that we're not sitting here in 2022 having this exact same conversation about how we hardly have any scholarship upperclassmen who didn't come to campus as a walk-on.

Benning is a radio/tv guy. Sure he played but there's a reason why he's not coaching.
Only problem with your assertion is that he coaches at North. But yeah guys who won multiple national titles, played in the NFL and arena ball, and coach probably don't know anything about whether football players are good at football.

Where do you coach?

Only problem with your assertion is that he coaches at North. But yeah guys who won multiple national titles, played in the NFL and arena ball, and coach probably don't know anything about whether football players are good at football.

Where do you coach?
"

I come from a family of coaches. Being a HS coach isn't necessarily anything to brag about. Point is, you probably need to take a lot of what Benning says with a grain of salt.

I agree with the poster who said Scott might be the reason this isn't one of the worst teams in the nation. If the NCAA did to us what we've done to ourselves in terms of missing scholarship in the upper classes, we'd call it "death penalty."

I dunno how much better I'm supposed to feel about watching some walk-ons lose like they want it more while young scholarship guys get no game experience and start thinking maybe they should transfer.

You desperately need to preserve all the redshirts you can in that 2019 class so that we're not sitting here in 2022 having this exact same conversation about how we hardly have any scholarship upperclassmen who didn't come to campus as a walk-on.

not sure I understand your point. We are still recruiting players and offering scholarships. I would hope the players that are we signing in 2020 2021 and 2022 are capable players and that the entire future of Nebraska’s program is not tied to the 2019 class

I dunno. Preserving redshirts sends a signal that you're not confident in your recruiting abilities. We should have confidence in being able to backfill the roster each year, and not worry about losing 1 year of eligibility.

"

I come from a family of coaches. Being a HS coach isn't necessarily anything to brag about. Point is, you probably need to take a lot of what Benning says with a grain of salt.

and take 3 grains of salt with what a Colorado fan on a Nebraska board has to say about football.

Thanks for playing, your consolation prize of a year’s supply of rice-a-roni will be delivered soon.

Fair enough,

The defense I saw at the beginning of the year is now gone from an attitude standpoint. They jumped off the ball and played much better. Minney ran a HB dive or read to the HB 70% of the plays it seemed and our defense just got owned. That's attitude and coaching.
Last 3 games the offense has managed one TD in each of those games. Two of the games they were garbage time TDs.

Count me out on blaming the defense for this team's shortcomings. It wears on you physically and mentally to constantly be trying to prop up an offense like that. I'm not saying they're an elite defense, they're not, but they're sure as shit not as bad as the offense.

They've been asked to erase SO MANY offensive f-ups that I think they finally got demoralized. They looked like a team that got in their feelings and went to, "Nothing works, what's the point?" mentality.

Scott knows it, he called out their effort in the post-game. We'll see what he's got for that in two weeks.

and take 3 grains of salt with what a Colorado fan on a Nebraska board has to say about football.

Thanks for playing, your consolation prize of a year’s supply of rice-a-roni will be delivered soon.
"I come from a family of" is code for "my dad and brother are but I'm not."

It's like how I "come from a family of medical professionals."

Our talent level isn't great, but it isn't 27 points worse than Minnesota's.

We had enough talent to compete with Ohio State, Michigan State, and Iowa at the end of last season. None of the seniors from that team got drafted into the NFL. So it's hard to blame everything on lack of talent.

There's no bigger condemnation for somebody who knows playing and coaching than to get hit with that label of "can't play."

My biggest disappointment is Farinok. I thought he was this awesome get. His foundation, drive and motor would help restore the pipeline. WRONG! Don't get me started on Jurgens...

Last 3 games the offense has managed one TD in each of those games. Two of the games they were garbage time TDs.

Count me out on blaming the defense for this team's shortcomings. It wears on you physically and mentally to constantly be trying to prop up an offense like that. I'm not saying they're an elite defense, they're not, but they're sure as shit not as bad as the offense.

They've been asked to erase SO MANY offensive f-ups that I think they finally got demoralized. They looked like a team that got in their feelings and went to, "Nothing works, what's the point?" mentality.

Scott knows it, he called out their effort in the post-game. We'll see what he's got for that in two weeks.

You certainly make a point. I believe they looked like they lost a lot of passion, especially in the Minnesota game. Even when they had a play blown up there was no finish. There was no fight to get off blocks or to want to hit the ball carrier. It was painful.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Who knows, there are a lot of reasons kids don’t develop. Some of these kids have been through multiple coaching changes, some might not fit in the new system, some might not have bought into it, some might have forgot where the weight room was for a couple years.

And who are the highest rated MR recruits still around: LJ, Lee, Anderson, McQuitty? LJ is contributing but most of his biggest recruits are gone or buried on the depth chart.

Of the 25 recruits at a 5.8 or higher from 2015-2018, 12 have left, 1 graduated, only 4 are starters and 5 have yet to make any meaningful contribution to the roster.

not sure I understand your point. We are still recruiting players and offering scholarships. I would hope the players that are we signing in 2020 2021 and 2022 are capable players and that the entire future of Nebraska’s program is not tied to the 2019 class
I'm referring to gap in guys who should be 3rd, 4th, and 5th year guys right now. I did a breakdown a couple weeks back but I counted something like 28 scholarship guys missing out of the 15, 16, and 17 classes. And that wasn't including guys who graduated in 4 like Stanley and Ozigbo because even back in 2016 we couldn't afford to redshirt enough of our freshmen.

If the NCAA walked in and took away 25 scholarships from us we'd lose our minds. But that's what they're trying to recover from right now.

The 2020 class needs to get going. I'd describe their last two commits as "fine." They need to make some hay with bigger names if they want this thing turned around sooner than later.

My biggest disappointment is Farinok. I thought he was this awesome get. His foundation, drive and motor would help restore the pipeline. WRONG! Don't get me started on Jurgens...
I hear him talked about a lot as a guard they're trying to ask to play tackle. He clearly can't do it. Sadly we don't have anyone better ready to go at tackle to let him move inside.

A lot of hopes riding on Benhart.

I think we've got some really good talent at some positions, but we've got so many roster holes from poor recruiting under Bo/Riley and attrition from the coaching changes. It really is going to take Frost years to get a solid roster with good depth. When that happens we will see results.

I bitch and moan about a lot of stuff, but I fully support Frost and hope to God he gets the time he needs.

I have a hard time buying that every player recruited to Nebraska under Riley was soft. Many of those players played for hard nosed high school coaches.

He was only here for 3 seasons and several players have left. I would venture to say close to 60% of the players on the current roster were brought in by the current staff.

That excuse is just low hanging fruit and a way to help absolve Frost from responsibility for his team.

if he is playing guys that aren’t tough enough, than replace them with one of the tough guys he brought in.
I agree totally....the Frost apologist are using the ole "they aren't his guys" line to take any of the culpability for this current dumpster fire off of him.

Frost is the head coach....this is his responsibility...that is why he is paid $5 Mil per year...if the current players can't or won't perform ...go to the next guy.

In case you all haven't noticed....MR has been gone for two freaking years.

We are 19 games in ... if some players haven’t bought in it’s because you have failed to get them to buy in.
Exactly, it's the coaches job to make sure every player is bought in. I think the vast majority of kids have the propensity to buy in to their coach, even if they weren't recruited by that coach. There's only a few bad apples that actually need to be kicked off, which should have been done already. It's also why I hate chasing off players like Ben Miles who you know is a good kid. If this team still has bad apples, it's 100% on this staff.

This so perfectly resonates with what I too have been feeling... The D was not the problem and can only do so much with a crap offense that cannot score...

Easy to say but last years offense mixed with this years defense would be so much fun to watch!

It's a FULL rebuild, we all knew it... I think many on here were prepared for hard times for a while... That said, when people look at "Year 2 UCF" and drink the offseason koolaid we all got our hopes up of what if??? only to find that we have some MAJOR holes still to fill!

If the NCAA walked in and took away 25 scholarships from us we'd lose our minds. But that's what they're trying to recover from right now.

I don’t believe Penn State suffered a single losing record despite receiving the harshest NCAA punishment ever handed out short of the death penalty. They won the Big Ten in Franklins 3rd year after the sanctions were lifted.

Last edited:
I don’t believe Penn State suffered a single losing record despite receiving the harshest NCAA punishment ever handed out short of the death penalty. They won the Big Ten in Franklins 3rd year after the sanctions were lifted.

Their recruiting really didn't suffer all that much from what I remember. They still landed top flight guys even though the #s were a little light for a year or two.

Franklin walked into a better roster situation no question. He also didn't have guys that were pissed about a previous coach being fired either. A lot easier to gain the all important buy-in in that situation.

Reactions: timnsun
I feel sick. What a crappy place we find ourselves in. I agree with just about everything anyone has said in this thread. More talent needed? Yep. Better coaching needed? YEP.

I heard some really concerning things about how "up" our team was for this game. If true, I literally just can't even speculate as to why. Why do we always seem to play teams that give us their best, and we can't seem to get off the mat from the opening whistle?

Oh - I saw Darrion Daniels yesterday. Decked out in Oklahoma State gear. Neat. This team needs some leadership.

I feel sick. What a crappy place we find ourselves in. I agree with just about everything anyone has said in this thread. More talent needed? Yep. Better coaching needed? YEP.

I heard some really concerning things about how "up" our team was for this game. If true, I literally just can't even speculate as to why. Why do we always seem to play teams that give us their best, and we can't seem to get off the mat from the opening whistle?

Oh - I saw Darrion Daniels yesterday. Decked out in Oklahoma State gear. Neat. This team needs some leadership.

But, but, but..it's freedom of expression! He should be applauded for openly sharing his feelings!

Their recruiting really didn't suffer all that much from what I remember. They still landed top flight guys even though the #s were a little light for a year or two.

Franklin walked into a better roster situation no question. He also didn't have guys that were pissed about a previous coach being fired either. A lot easier to gain the all important buy-in in that situation.

PSU bounces right back while we continue wandering in the wilderness. Ugh.

This so perfectly resonates with what I too have been feeling... The D was not the problem and can only do so much with a crap offense that cannot score...

Easy to say but last years offense mixed with this years defense would be so much fun to watch!

It's a FULL rebuild, we all knew it... I think many on here were prepared for hard times for a while... That said, when people look at "Year 2 UCF" and drink the offseason koolaid we all got our hopes up of what if??? only to find that we have some MAJOR holes still to fill!

Hard to take anybody seriously if they watched the Minnesota game and came out thinking that defense is not a problem.

2011 class rank 35 5 - 4 stars 3- 2 stars
2012 class rank 52 . 1- 4 star . 6 - 2 stars and a zero star LB
2013 class rank 43 . 4 - 4stars 4 - stars . and a zero star RB
2014 class rank 24 6 - 4 stars - 1 2 star

plus significant attrition as all players were eligible for immediate transfer without penalty

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha

plus significant attrition as all players were eligible for immediate transfer without penalty
Sure seems like Franklin was the right fit there. Would he have succeeded here?

Sure seems like Franklin was the right fit there. Would he have succeeded here?

I have posted numerous times before that the right fit at major-blue blood programs gets things turned around very quickly.
Elite season (top 10, conf championship or major bowl) within 2-3 years.

OK so first of all that was year three and we're halfway through year 2. They were 7-5, 7-6, 7-6 from O'Brien's last year to Franklin's second year. Secondly:

"Penn State had faced a cap of 65 scholarships starting in 2014, but instead will have 75 scholarships in 2014, 80 in 2015 and the full allotment of 85 in 2016."

They would have been down 20 scholarships but ended up only down 10. We've lost about 28 guys since 2015. So even if they got the full penalty, we've still "self-imposed" a worse sentence than what PSU ever got. Some of that is Scott's fault for chasing guys off, but it's a reality that prevents them from being very good right now.

Then there's this:

Penn State kept getting elite recruits that whole time and we didn't. So there's your difference.

Recruiting rankings (per 247)

2013: PSU 4th in the B1G including 5* QB Christian Hackenburg. NU was 3rd.

2014: (Franklin year one) PSU 3rd in the B1G with five 4* signees. NU was 6th with three 4* kids.

2015: PSU 2nd in the B1G with FOURTEEN 4* kids including Saquon Barkley. NU was 4th with four 4* kids. Two of those were Jalin Barnett and Jordan Stevenson.

2016: (Franklin wins conference) PSU 4th in the B1G with one 5* and seven 4* kids. NU was 5th with 5 4* kids.

It goes on like this with them getting way more 4* kids than us and the occasional 5*. Nebraska hasn't had a 5* recruit at all since Marlon Lucky. A baby born the year he signed would be in high school now.

So again, Frost is trying to do this with a worse team than any of those other coaches you want to talk about turnarounds with.

Oh so if he plays for Nebraska he's never allowed to wear any of the clothing he got from playing at OkState for 4 years or he's a weak-minded traitor? Smart take.

Don't tell my office job I'm gonna work out in my old Famous Dave's t-shirt later, what would they think of me?!?!?

I have posted numerous times before that the right fit at major-blue blood programs gets things turned around very quickly.
Elite season (top 10, conf championship or major bowl) within 2-3 years.
200.gif

Oh so if he plays for Nebraska he's never allowed to wear any of the clothing he got from playing at OkState for 4 years or he's a weak-minded traitor? Smart take.

Don't tell my office job I'm gonna work out in my old Famous Dave's t-shirt later, what would they think of me?!?!?
Believe whatever you want to believe, no skin off my ass.

But since we're talking smart takes, ask Nick Saban what he'd think of it. Or maybe Wistrom or Jason Peter. You think Urban Meyer would like it? No. Winners who are with a team wouldn't pull that trash move.

With the exception of 2012, that's still a decent amount of four stars.

OK so first of all that was year three and we're halfway through year 2. They were 7-5, 7-6, 7-6 from O'Brien's last year to Franklin's second year. Secondly:

"Penn State had faced a cap of 65 scholarships starting in 2014, but instead will have 75 scholarships in 2014, 80 in 2015 and the full allotment of 85 in 2016."

They would have been down 20 scholarships but ended up only down 10. We've lost about 28 guys since 2015. So even if they got the full penalty, we've still "self-imposed" a worse sentence than what PSU ever got. Some of that is Scott's fault for chasing guys off, but it's a reality that prevents them from being very good right now.

Then there's this:

Penn State kept getting elite recruits that whole time and we didn't. So there's your difference.

Recruiting rankings (per 247)

2013: PSU 4th in the B1G including 5* QB Christian Hackenburg. NU was 3rd.

2014: (Franklin year one) PSU 3rd in the B1G with five 4* signees. NU was 6th with three 4* kids.

2015: PSU 2nd in the B1G with FOURTEEN 4* kids including Saquon Barkley. NU was 4th with four 4* kids. Two of those were Jalin Barnett and Jordan Stevenson.

2016: (Franklin wins conference) PSU 4th in the B1G with one 5* and seven 4* kids. NU was 5th with 5 4* kids.

It goes on like this with them getting way more 4* kids than us and the occasional 5*. Nebraska hasn't had a 5* recruit at all since Marlon Lucky. A baby born the year he signed would be in high school now.

So again, Frost is trying to do this with a worse team than any of those other coaches you want to talk about turnarounds with.

in addition to the scholarship losses Penn State also had an additional 15+ guys leave the program as a result of the sanctions

the average rivals ranking of the classes you cited (2013-2016) was 25
25 4 stars and 1 5 star during this time -- that lone 5 star was Christian Hackenberg

Nebraska average ranking (2016-2019) - 20
31 4 stars

Believe whatever you want to believe, no skin off my ass.

But since we're talking smart takes, ask Nick Saban what he'd think of it. Or maybe Wistrom or Jason Peter. You think Urban Meyer would like it? No. Winners who are with a team wouldn't pull that trash move.
Yeah I bet Nick Saban and Urban Meyer spend a lot of his time worrying about what kind of sweats a kid wears on his day off.

Here we've been so focused on recruiting good players and training and developing them, and this whole time all we had to do was fashion police them! Boy somebody get Scott on the line and tell him we've found the formula!

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
Yeah I bet Nick Saban and Urban Meyer spend a lot of his time worrying about what kind of sweats a kid wears on his day off.

Here we've been so focused on recruiting good players and training and developing them, and this whole time all we had to do was fashion police them! Boy somebody get Scott on the line and tell him we've found the formula!

I seriously doubt that Jalen Hurts is walking around Norman in Alabama sweats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT