ADVERTISEMENT

Bronco Mendenhall thinks BYU with Taysom Hill to be most prolific in BYU history

Well going by last year where he just tore them up before getting injured; one would have to agree. He butchered Texas, 41-7 was it; So they are all 4 and 5* talent overall - didn't work forTX ( send in the trolls ).
** We better get some of our leapers out on those 6'6' guys.
** 5 wide receiver formations - guess he can do progressions ? lol . Hopefully TA can get it going overall, TA's stats are similar to the guys soph year
** Will be interesting to see how they scam any suspensions from their bowl game; I believe still unannounced.
** We better bring it; teams have been coming in and gathering strength as they stay with us. The young LB's may have the most adjustments; so we may see a lot of the special D formations to get guys on the field. Will need to punish him for running. Thanks for posting the article.

More prolific than the Detmer offenses? Or when they won the MNC in 1984? OK

If BYU stays healthy, they'll have a really good offense.

They take many injuries, though, that could change in a hurry.

Taysom Hill is very, very good. Hill's coming off a really ugly-looking broken leg and the coach says to expect fewer designed runs this year. They have another QB who's likely to be also very good but he just got back from a mission trip and will need at least half a season to be ready to start. They don't have much else.

They have 5, maybe 6 good OL. Their starters look better than ours. But after that..."The first group is really good," said defensive lineman Remington Peck. "After that, there's a big drop-off, just to be frank."

Jamaal Williams is threatening to breaking BYU's career rushing record, but last November he had surgery after he tore his ACL and LCL. He says he's 100% but we'll see. His backup is good but not at his level. No obvious 3d string RB.

Their WRs do look pretty scary. Our DB's, especially smaller guys like Mosley will be challenged.

On defense I'd say the DL is talented and deep. BYU recruits Pacific Islanders exceptionally well. The defensive backfield may be neither and is certainly not deep. Their best safety is a near lock to be suspended for our game.

I think we're pretty deep and talented at DB. Hopefully those men will be up for the challenge...

BYU will be well coached and play hard. Should be a good game (& test) to open the season..

GBR

[QUOTE="
** Will be interesting to see how they scam any suspensions from their bowl game; I believe still unannounced.'
.[/QUOTE]

This is what I will be interested in seeing. Lets see how strong their honor code really is.

This game really intrigues me. Nebraska should be favored, but primarily because it's a home game. If the D isn't used to the new game plan/has some carry over from the previous coaching schemes and bad habits, this could be a nightmare. Add in the fact that Ameer is no longer there to carry the team when things stumble, this is a dangerous game. That said, if the offense picks things up quickly I expect a high scoring affair that Nebraska escapes with a win. If BYU comes out with a win, this season could be a frustrating one, but even then, I believe the team Nebraska fields by the end of the year will be markedly improved over the one that is fielded in week 1.

Seems obvious, but I've seen several Nebraska teams get worse as the season went on, because I don't think the previous coaching staff developed the team throughout the season, and I think their schemes were easier for opposing coaching staffs to gameplan around, leaving Nebraska looking pedestrian late in the season.

I think we'll learn a LOT about Armstrong in a hurry in this game.

Their DL is good enough against our inexperienced OL and backs that running, especially early will be tough. Their DBs are bad enough that I'm pretty confident we'll have WRs running open.

If Armstrong can find and hit the open receivers, we win the game and we're off to a good start on the season. If he can't, we may have to see if somebody else can.

This game really intrigues me. Nebraska should be favored, but primarily because it's a home game. If the D isn't used to the new game plan/has some carry over from the previous coaching schemes and bad habits, this could be a nightmare. Add in the fact that Ameer is no longer there to carry the team when things stumble, this is a dangerous game. That said, if the offense picks things up quickly I expect a high scoring affair that Nebraska escapes with a win. If BYU comes out with a win, this season could be a frustrating one, but even then, I believe the team Nebraska fields by the end of the year will be markedly improved over the one that is fielded in week 1.

Seems obvious, but I've seen several Nebraska teams get worse as the season went on, because I don't think the previous coaching staff developed the team throughout the season, and I think their schemes were easier for opposing coaching staffs to gameplan around, leaving Nebraska looking pedestrian late in the season.

I think the opening line is projected approx NU -6.5? If that holds true I'll be betting BYU. I hate to say it, but I think we struggle against them.

I still have my doubts whether Hill is anywhere near 100%. How many former players fully recovered from broken legs and torn ligaments?

My bookie (and lots others) have the line out...it started at NU-7...in a lot of places it dipped to NU -3.5 with an Over/Under of 71.5 (I think)

We won't lose. If we played them week 2 I would be worried but our boys have their sights set on this game and will play hard. Taysom hill will be rusty and not nearly as quick as he was. Skers by 10

[QU?OTE="WestCoastCornhusker, post: 448956, member: 7628"]I still have my doubts whether Hill is anywhere near 100%. How many former players fully recovered from broken legs and torn ligaments?[/QUOTE]

I can remember Matt Herman was just never the same. Can anyone can think of a complete rerecovEry?

[QU?OTE="WestCoastCornhusker, post: 448956, member: 7628"]I still have my doubts whether Hill is anywhere near 100%. How many former players fully recovered from broken legs and torn ligaments?

I can remember Matt Herman was just never the same. Can anyone can think of a complete rerecovEry?[/QUOTE]
I was thinking, "who's Matt Herman?"

Then it hit me, "Herian..." Correct? He was totally different after his injury. Good call...

I can remember Matt Herman was just never the same. Can anyone can think of a complete rerecovEry?
I was thinking, "who's Matt Herman?"

Then it hit me, "Herian..." Correct? He was totally different after his injury. Good call...[/QUOTE]

Stupid Samsung phone. I typed Herian but was overwritten.

Although I am feeling a level of optimism that I haven't felt in a LONG time regarding the program, I think we COULD get our heads handed to us in this game. Just hope it doesn't get ugly. BYU played very very well before this kid gets hurt last year....

ADVERTISEMENT