ADVERTISEMENT

Bringing back the FB

They're not recruiting traditional fullback types so I would assume this would be a role played by TE's.

They're not recruiting traditional fullback types so I would assume this would be a role played by TE's.
Traditional fullback types aren’t often getting offers as fullbacks these days. Satterfield used a TE at his last stop. There are some some studs playing a hybrid role in the NFL and maybe the best one played at Harvard in college. We’ve got a couple of guys who could maybe do that. No doubt they have a plan after watching practice videos and meeting the players.

Reactions: Redblood23
Traditional fullback types aren’t often getting offers as fullbacks these days. Satterfield used a TE at his last stop. There are some some studs playing a hybrid role in the NFL and maybe the best one played at Harvard in college. We’ve got a couple of guys who could maybe do that. No doubt they have a plan after watching practice videos and meeting the players.
They will hopefully sign that 6' 8" 340 lb guy from GA today. Imagine putting him in at FB on 1st and goal from the 4.

They will hopefully sign that 6' 8" 340 lb guy from GA today. Imagine putting him in at FB on 1st and goal from the 4.
Piper or Nouilli might be better options. That said I believe the goal is to have a pass catching run threat at fullback. I guarantee we’ll see fullback traps and play action passes to a wide open fullback in the flat. Think Niners fullback Kyle Jusczyzk. I’m hoping Satterfield incorporates at least some of Shanahans offense

• Love
Reactions: BleedRed78
Carpenter's kid is a walk on still here and came in under Frost. He played RB and a lot of FB in HS

Reactions: BleedRed78
Schuster isn’t listed as being very big on the roster but that can change. Goodwin is probably the ideal size but I have no idea if he could do the job
Schuster's old man was a FB on two of NU's title teams in the 90s, but the kid is small historically for NU at this psn. I would imagine they will recruit to the psn and use a TE as an H-back as they transition. It's kind of a bummer that the Brewington kid is out of eligibility, as they way he played was tailor made for the position. he tried to cleat every defender he made contact with and was athletic enough to be effective in leaking out in the passing game.

Schuster's old man was a FB on two of NU's title teams in the 90s, but the kid is small historically for NU at this psn. I would imagine they will recruit to the psn and use a TE as an H-back as they transition. It's kind of a bummer that the Brewington kid is out of eligibility, as they way he played was tailor made for the position. he tried to cleat every defender he made contact with and was athletic enough to be effective in leaking out in the passing game.
I think we have some good options already on the team but a guy in the physical mold of Yant would be ideal IMO. Experience toting the rock would help. Could we see Ervin line up at times as an up back in front of Allen? I think he’s around 220 which was what Roger Craig was when he lined up in front of Rozier.

I think we have some good options already on the team but a guy in the physical mold of Yant would be ideal IMO. Experience toting the rock would help. Could we see Ervin line up at times as an up back in front of Allen? I think he’s around 220 which was what Roger Craig was when he lined up in front of Rozier.
I was thinking Ervin. He can do the running and pass catching, but is he an effective blocker?

I was thinking Ervin. He can do the running and pass catching, but is he an effective blocker?
He attacks every job he’s given. I’m sure he wouldn’t want to line up at FB every down and I wouldn’t want him to. Give him a package of 6-8 plays there that include a fullback trap and a couple of play action pass plays where he’s the first option and he would probably go for it. When he’s healthy he runs with the right attitude. I think most of the time we’re going to see one of our TEs used that way.

Reactions: WHCSC and inWV
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT