ADVERTISEMENT

Brett McMurphy tweet

Garbage take.

Michigan State was a confident team headed by a guy named NICK SABAN

Arizona State had enough talent on that squad to NEARLY WIN THE NATIONAL TITLE the next season, not to mention shut out Scott Frost in the desert snapping NU's two year unbeaten streak.

Washington State was talking trash in the week leading up to that game because they thought they could win...and then they actually did play NU closer than any other team that year

What a god awful take. The other bad memory issues were covered by other posters.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nebraska was a confident team before the 2019 season. Michigan State finished 6-5-1. Yeah, Saban had them literally on the edge of the natty.

We scored 77 on ASU. ASU finished 6-5 and 5 of the 6 wins could have gone either way.

Washington State finished 3-8.

And you have the nerve to tell me that my take was god awful?!

Reactions: TheBeav815
STOP IT with this REVISIONIST HISTORY! I swear some of y'all are fake Husker fans at best always trying degrade our last accomplishments just to placate the silly foolishness you back today. Basically cut your own nose off to spite your own face!

The 1995 Husker football, THE GREATEST TEAM OFF ALL TIME, played and beat 4 teams ranked in the Top 10 at the TIME WE PLAYED THEM! This included Colorado, Florida, K-State and Kansas and each one got beat by 23 points OR BETTER!!

As far as non conference games go they are scheduled sometimes 10-15 years in advance. The same way we perceive Oklahoma to be good next year they could just as easily been BAD. The point is you schedule non-conf games against Power 5 teams like we used to do 2-3 times EVERY year and see where you measure up at that time. Plus if we didn't suck our schedule wouldn't look so daunting!

Is this the insight you get when pay for membership? If that's the case we don't need the reprogramming. Now scurry on back to the pay board with all the other informed geniuses...
What the hell is wrong with you?

Nebraska was the best team in the country in 1995. It can be argued that they might have been the best team of all time. That's totally fair.

Saying that the schedule we have to play in 2021 is likely tougher then the one we played in 1995 has nothing to do with how good the 1995 Husker team was. If the Kansas City Chiefs substituted for Kearney State's football team, they would be playing a weaker schedule than any D-1 team, but they would still be the best team in College Football.

SOS involves the number of ranked teams you play, but it also involves how good the other teams are and how many games you have to play.

In 1995, we played 4 NC games. In 2021, we only play 3. None of the 1995 NC opponents were ranked during the season. In 2021, we have to play OU on the road, a team that is a frequent visitor to the NC playoffs. Buffalo is a solid opponent.

In 1995 we had to play 7 conference games against 3 ranked opponents. In 2021 we have to play 9 conference games (10 to win the championship), and if we make it to the championship game, we'll probably have to play a usual playoff team twice, plus likely 3 other ranked teams (Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern).
If we played a ranked team in a bowl, then that's 7 out of 14 against ranked opponents, with 4 of them being teams that are likely top 7.

Also, It's hard to argue that 1995 Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Missouri are as tough as 2021 Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan State, and Michigan.

Maybe you should try to understand what people are saying before you spout off.

You're still up here? All day, every day. Go post on your own board.

Sorry to hurt your feelings.

The Huskers are great and Frost has done an amazing job navigating the worst possible situation any college football coach has ever faced in the history of the sport.

Feel better?

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
What the hell is wrong with you?

Nebraska was the best team in the country in 1995. It can be argued that they might have been the best team of all time. That's totally fair.

Saying that the schedule we have to play in 2021 is likely tougher then the one we played in 1995 has nothing to do with how good the 1995 Husker team was. If the Kansas City Chiefs substituted for Kearney State's football team, they would be playing a weaker schedule than any D-1 team, but they would still be the best team in College Football.

SOS involves the number of ranked teams you play, but it also involves how good the other teams are and how many games you have to play.

In 1995, we played 4 NC games. In 2021, we only play 3. None of the 1995 NC opponents were ranked during the season. In 2021, we have to play OU on the road, a team that is a frequent visitor to the NC playoffs. Buffalo is a solid opponent.

In 1995 we had to play 7 conference games against 3 ranked opponents. In 2021 we have to play 9 conference games (10 to win the championship), and if we make it to the championship game, we'll probably have to play a usual playoff team twice, plus likely 3 other ranked teams (Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern).
If we played a ranked team in a bowl, then that's 7 out of 14 against ranked opponents, with 4 of them being teams that are likely top 7.

Also, It's hard to argue that 1995 Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Missouri are as tough as 2021 Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan State, and Michigan.

Maybe you should try to understand what people are saying before you spout off.

You lost me at Buffalo is a solid opponent.
68316071.jpg

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nebraska was a confident team before the 2019 season. Michigan State finished 6-5-1. Yeah, Saban had them literally on the edge of the natty.

We scored 77 on ASU. ASU finished 6-5 and 5 of the 6 wins could have gone either way.

Washington State finished 3-8.

And you have the nerve to tell me that my take was god awful?!

I just reread it...find one person anywhere that agrees with your take lol. I'll wait...for a very long time.

I'm just waiting for you to tell us that Ohio State and Michigan are running scared next. And that Husker Power with Oregon speed is on the way. And that we weren't doing squats under Riley.

Nebraska fans don’t want to do what it takes to win.. hard work and patience...

Instead we just hope to keep firing coaches and ADs hoping we accidentally stumble into greatness...

The Husker brand is zero right now so bailing out on OU has zero negative impact except for those small %&$!ed fools that still think it is 1997... same thinking got Solich fired.. but now we want to fire the next guy so we can say, what again? Wait another 5, then another 5... as so many say here, seems like the wussification of America has really taken over the Husker fan base as we can’t stick it out...

Also, doesn’t seem like anyone gives a damn about the Lincoln economy for another home game either. After all the whining on here about the impact to the economy from Covid, we can at least say that concern was bullshit...

more important to thump the chest..

You lost me at Buffalo is a solid opponent.
68316071.jpg
Buffalo has had a very good team for the past several years. They won 10 in 2018, 8 in 2019, and 6 (out of 7) last season. Probably a lot better than Pacific 1995.

But you now seem too lame to figure things out.

I just reread it...find one person anywhere that agrees with your take lol. I'll wait...for a very long time.

I'm just waiting for you to tell us that Ohio State and Michigan are running scared next. And that Husker Power with Oregon speed is on the way. And that we weren't doing squats under Riley.
This reply^^^ is probably one of the dumbest and least to the point posts I have ever read here. Nothing above is even cogent.

Bottom line is that to win the National Championship in 1995, Nebraska had to play one game, a single game, against a team that would today be a legitimate playoff team (Florida).

In 2021, Nebraska has to play five of these games to win the natty (Ohio State, either Ohio State again or a team that beats Ohio State, Oklahoma, and the 2 teams they would see in the playoffs).

Nebraska 1995 may have been able to pull this one off, but in 1995, they didn't have to.

This reply^^^ is probably one of the dumbest and least to the point posts I have ever read here. Nothing above is even cogent.

Bottom line is that to win the National Championship in 1995, Nebraska had to play one game, a single game, against a team that would today be a legitimate playoff team (Florida).

In 2021, Nebraska has to play five of these games to win the natty (Ohio State, either Ohio State again or a team that beats Ohio State, Oklahoma, and the 2 teams they would see in the playoffs).

Nebraska 1995 may have been able to pull this one off, but in 1995, they didn't have to.

Go away you buffoon...

Final rankings
3) Florida
4) Colorado
6) Kansas St
10) Kansas

Reactions: Gonzo3705
I love all of you guys who do this macho crap. We'll play anyone, anywhere! Yeah, that really helps us now doesn't it.

Maybe I need to get testosterone shot, but I learned a long time ago that you shouldn't put your team in a position that sets them up for failure, because that's just what you're going to get.

Currently we are scheduled to play a schedule that includes Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin. We and the rest of the B10 teams have to play one more conference game than the ACC, SEC, or PAC-12. There is literally no room for a monster non-conference opponent under the current circumstances.

You can afford to have a killer NC game when you have 4 NC games. You can also afford to do it if you only have 3 but you're Ohio State. But you can't do it if you're Nebraska 2021.

Answer a serious question, what would be worse, the mocking of Nebraska after another blowout to a team like OU, or mocking because they altered their schedule to match where the program is right now and to have some additional revenue? The former is on our record forever. The latter is forgotten in a month. Even without OU, no one is going to be able to mock our SOS.

In 1995, the year we were supposedly the best team of all time, we played in the NC:

A horrible Michigan State team
An even worse Arizona State team
Pacific
Washington State

Then we played the power houses:

Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
A horrible and disjointed OU team
The worst Iowa State team in 20 years
A bad Missouri team
Colorado

For God's sake, Colorado was the only good team we played all season that year until we saw Florida.

Yeah, we beat Florida bad in the bowl game and were we were the best team in the country, but our schedule was absolutely pathetic, but no one talks about that.

It's a needed move, IMO.

Nebraska beat 4 teams that FINISHED in the top 10 in 1995.

CU, KSU, KU and Florida

Now get really mad and reply with a wall of text.

Go away you buffoon...

Final rankings
3) Florida
4) Colorado
6) Kansas St
10) Kansas
Nebraska has to win 5 games in 2021 against a 1995 Florida level opponent to win the NC.

Dude, you're calling me a buffoon, but you're literally saying 1+1=5 when I'm saying 1+1=2. You counter having to play 5 1995 Florida level teams with listing 4 top 10 teams in 1995.

Is your position really that Nebraska's 1995 schedule was as tough or tougher then what we'll face in 2021? You really think this?

Ohio State (possibly twice)
Oklahoma
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

Then if we made the playoff, 2 playoff level teams.

Are you really that lame?

Nebraska has to win 5 games in 2021 against a 1995 Florida level opponent to win the NC.

Dude, you're calling me a buffoon, but you're literally saying 1+1=5 when I'm saying 1+1=2. You counter having to play 5 1995 Florida level teams with listing 4 top 10 teams in 1995.

Is your position really that Nebraska's 1995 schedule was as tough or tougher then what we'll face in 2021? You really think this?

Oklahoma
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

Okay Mr Lame Ohh, You’re the one that was quoted Nebraska only played one tough game..

Besides OU and tOSU the rest you mentioned I’ll bet will have more than 2 losses and not finish in the Top 10 like 4 of the 1995 opponents...

Reactions: Gonzo3705

Oklahoma
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

How many of the teams on that list will finish the season in the top 10?

I bet two.

But it's not apples to apples because that doesn't include the post season we are almost certain not to participate in again this year.

How many of the teams on that list will finish the season in the top 10?

I bet two.

But it's not apples to apples because that doesn't include the post season we are almost certain not to participate in again this year.
Apples to apples is comparing teams competing for an NC. There would be at least 5 teams we have to play this year that will finish in the top 10.

OU and tOSU twice = 3
2 playoff games = 2

likely 4 of these 5 are in the Top 4.

But if we assume neither the 1995 or 2001 team played for the NC.

1995 - 3-4 (including a bowl) top 10 opponents and no one else in that Universe (no other top 25 teams). 12 games.

2021 - 2-3 top 4 teams, probably 1-2 others in the top 10, then 2-3 others (including a bowl game) in the top 25. 13-14 games.

You're digging a deeper hole with every reply.

Another thing, the "bad" teams you play today are better than the "bad" teams you played in 1995, because sophisticated athletic training and good facilities are ubiquitous (hope this word isn't too big for you) now.

Last edited:
Apples to apples is comparing teams competing for an NC. There would be at least 5 teams we have to play this year that will finish in the top 10.

OU and tOSU twice = 3
2 playoff games = 2

likely 4 of these 5 are in the Top 4.

But if we assume neither the 1995 or 2001 team played for the NC.

1995 - 3-4 (including a bowl) top 10 opponents and no one else in that Universe (no other top 25 teams). 12 games.

2021 - 2-3 top 4 teams, probably 1-2 others in the top 10, then 2-3 others (including a bowl game) in the top 25. 13-14 games.

You're digging a deeper hole with every reply.

Another thing, the "bad" teams you play today are better than the "bad" teams you played in 1995, because sophisticated athletic training and good facilities are ubiquitous (hope this word isn't too big for you) now.

1) It's highly unlikely we play tOSU twice next season. We will play them once.
2) There is zero chance we will play one, let alone two, playoff games next season. I will bet any sum of money on that if someone would like to take me up on it.
3) Zero people in this thread have argued that next season's schedule is easy.

1) It's highly unlikely we play tOSU twice next season. We will play them once.
2) There is zero chance we will play one, let alone two, playoff games next season. I will bet any sum of money on that if someone would like to take me up on it.
3) Zero people in this thread have argued that next season's schedule is easy.
That's why I mentioned the scenario where neither team competes for the NC.

It's impossible to compare SOS between 1995 and 2021 without assuming each team's path to the NC. That path is WAY WAY harder now.

That's why I mentioned the scenario where neither team competes for the NC.

It's impossible to compare SOS between 1995 and 2021 without assuming each team's path to the NC. That path is WAY WAY harder now.
You’re making up fabrications on both accounts..

Oklahoma
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

Outside of OU & Oklahoma, the others are probably pretty beatable...

You said neither team plays for the national championship... 1995 did..
WOW! Apples to apples is comparing us in 2021 playing for the NC and 1995 playing for the NC, or, us in 2021 not playing for the NC and 1995 NOT playing for the NC.

I'm done here, you can't think straight.

Oklahoma
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern

So we're playing Ohio State possibly twice? Only twice? What if the COVID cancels a game and Nebraska and Ohio State are both open? Why not three times? And then what if we both make the playoff? We could play Ohio State possibly FOUR TIMES!

Hardest schedule in NCAA history give Frost and Moos another raise and another 4 years.

So we're playing Ohio State possibly twice? Only twice? What if the COVID cancels a game and Nebraska and Ohio State are both open? Why not three times? And then what if we both make the playoff? We could play Ohio State possibly FOUR TIMES!

Hardest schedule in NCAA history give Frost and Moos another raise and another 4 years.
It won't be the hardest in history but you could make a case that relative to the level of team NU has it's the most daunting schedule they've faced since what, the days of black & white TV? Probably the guy before Devaney is the last time NU was going to be so overmatched so often. What was that, 70 years ago?

There is ONE game on there you look at and go, "Nebraska will definitely win that game." I would call OU and OSU guaranteed losses. I expect a loss to UW and Iowa given recent history of finding ways to lose to them.

Even conference doormats like Illinois and Purdue we're forced to look at recent contests and say it's a coin flip at best.

I've certainly never looked at a NUFB schedule and thought, "It's not insanely impossible that we're still looking for win number one in mid-November." And if that sounds nuts answer me this:

Which sounds more likely, that NU is winless going into their Nov 13 game or that NU is undefeated?

God that was dumb!

It won't be the hardest in history but you could make a case that relative to the level of team NU has it's the most daunting schedule they've faced since what, the days of black & white TV? Probably the guy before Devaney is the last time NU was going to be so overmatched so often. What was that, 70 years ago?

There is ONE game on there you look at and go, "Nebraska will definitely win that game." I would call OU and OSU guaranteed losses. I expect a loss to UW and Iowa given recent history of finding ways to lose to them.

Even conference doormats like Illinois and Purdue we're forced to look at recent contests and say it's a coin flip at best.

I've certainly never looked at a NUFB schedule and thought, "It's not insanely impossible that we're still looking for win number one in mid-November." And if that sounds nuts answer me this:

Which sounds more likely, that NU is winless going into their Nov 13 game or that NU is undefeated?
Back on topic, IMO, Moos was smart to at least look at replacing OU on the schedule for a couple of million dollar increase in revenue and a MUCH more likely W. The toe stubber was the OU AD leaking this information. I still want them to pull out of the game with OU. It only makes sense for us to go down there from a nostalgia perspective. It's a money loser versus a home game and IF Moos wasn't at least considering that he would be a piss poor AD.

Back on topic, IMO, Moos was smart to at least look at replacing OU on the schedule for a couple of million dollar increase in revenue and a MUCH more likely W. The toe stubber was the OU AD leaking this information. I still want them to pull out of the game with OU. It only makes sense for us to go down there from a nostalgia perspective. It's a money loser versus a home game and IF Moos wasn't at least considering that he would be a piss poor AD.

what makes him a piss poor AD, or at least this a poorly managed situation, is that we knew this was happening a year ago. In fact a year ago the chances of playing any games at all for 2020 was small. He already knew that he was going to have an economic revenue shortfall. The prudent move would’ve been to contact Joe Castiglione last September and say “we need to postpone our game next year because we do another home game. Rather than Castiglione finding out about it because Mac teams and Old Dominion are being contacted.

Weak take.

What I am more upset about than anything is this is a canary in the coal mine. Shedding light on the fact Frost and Moos dont think things are going to go well next season. Quit feeding us this BS about helping the local economy. They tried to save themselves from getting embarassed, fumbled and now got embarassed twice.

what makes him a piss poor AD, or at least this a poorly managed situation, is that we knew this was happening a year ago. In fact a year ago the chances of playing any games at all for 2020 was small. He already knew that he was going to have an economic revenue shortfall. The prudent move would’ve been to contact Joe Castiglione last September and say “we need to postpone our game next year because we do another home game. Rather than Castiglione finding out about it because Mac teams and Old Dominion are being contacted.
Bingo. They're mediocre communicators and they lack foresight. It's this constant pattern of them seeming only to learn any lessons by embarrassing themselves in grand fashion first.

I think it's absolutely the right move to not play OU, we can't beat em. But it wasn't handled well at all. They can't figure the shit out of "If you start trying to schedule people for games, it's going to get out."

Same thing they did with negotiate-first-ask-second with the B1G last year when they tried to bring in whoever it was, bumblef*** tech. Maybe run it by a couple people who know two things combined about optics so they can tell you when your execution is bad.

ADVERTISEMENT