ADVERTISEMENT

Brett McMurphy tweet

Hate the way it looks all you want, but I promise if I opened up a betting window for you all to slap down your mortgage on NU to win that game I'd stand there alone until closing time.

People act like this isn't a team that needs to improve to get to 6 wins. The only thing wrong with NU backing out of this game is they didn't do it sooner. NU needs to go to the Bill Snyder School of Scheduling and JUCO Recruiting for a while until they can become a consistent football team.

There has been a brutal coincidence of this team being incredibly young, low on depth and talent, and having difficult schedules. Those are career killers for head coaches and Frost will be about out of house money after one more season of dismal results and looking at the 2022 season potentially being his last.

We've already seen the nose start to dip down on recruiting, this team needs wins, period.

I agree with much of what you said. We shouldn't be going into year four with the same " we are young" excuse. Why are we young? Why wasn't talent developed? Where is the portal?

As for the Snyder comparison, it falls apart because Snyder and his staff developed those guys, CC and all. We, thus far, have not shown that ability. How have our CC recruits performed the last three years?

Last edited:
About an hour ago, college football insider Brett McMurphy tweeted that Nebraska is trying to get out of the September 18 game at Oklahoma. If this is true, and if the Huskers duck out of this game (scheduled to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Game of the Century), NU will officially be the biggest wussies in the CFB universe. The flogging from the national media will be brutal and well deserved.

Is HCSF afraid of being lit up by Caleb Williams?

Reactions: Spacemon25
Hate the way it looks all you want, but I promise if I opened up a betting window for you all to slap down your mortgage on NU to win that game I'd stand there alone until closing time.

People act like this isn't a team that needs to improve to get to 6 wins. The only thing wrong with NU backing out of this game is they didn't do it sooner. NU needs to go to the Bill Snyder School of Scheduling and JUCO Recruiting for a while until they can become a consistent football team.

There has been a brutal coincidence of this team being incredibly young, low on depth and talent, and having difficult schedules. Those are career killers for head coaches and Frost will be about out of house money after one more season of dismal results and looking at the 2022 season potentially being his last.

We've already seen the nose start to dip down on recruiting, this team needs wins, period.

Short term fixes only work so long in football. Snyder's philosophy worked from 1993-2003, after that, a lot of .500 seasons. Last I checked you get better when you play better teams, no lining up a bunch of patsies and easy W. No different than practicing 1s vs 1s instead of 1s vs 3s. All playing weak teams does is hide the hickeys, it doesn't eliminate them.

How long can a team be young and inexperienced and low on depth and talent? That excuse is tired. Winning a few games against the Sisters of the Poor won't get you noticed in the polls. Everyone knows you are a paper tiger.

Short term fixes only work so long in football. Snyder's philosophy worked from 1993-2003, after that, a lot of .500 seasons. Last I checked you get better when you play better teams, no lining up a bunch of patsies and easy W. No different than practicing 1s vs 1s instead of 1s vs 3s. All playing weak teams does is hide the hickeys, it doesn't eliminate them.

How long can a team be young and inexperienced and low on depth and talent? That excuse is tired. Winning a few games against the Sisters of the Poor won't get you noticed in the polls. Everyone knows you are a paper tiger.

We're not going to be young next season.

The whole damn defense returns. We have a FOUR YEAR STARTER at QB and returning starters on the O line. Transfers at WR and RB.

That reasoning forces me to wonder where the benefits of getting destroyed by Stoops' OU teams went, or how we measure the upside of the recent drubbings against the Buckeyes.

An interesting discussion would be whether there's any such thing as "long term" any more in CFB with transfers, recruiting, and the coaching carousel moving at the speed they do.

I don't disagree that at some point you gotta beat the man to be the man. But let's bear in mind that NU does not lack access to better teams. If Nebraska was in the MAC and getting shunned from the playoff despite an elite winning % I would for sure say you gotta schedule big dogs for every non-con game.

As it is, you can make a case that around 10-12 teams in our own conference are better teams than Nebraska right now. So IMO it benefits them a lot more to beat somebody and make some money with an easier home opponent than it does to get wrecked by Oklahoma.

I think the program is in much more dire need of some notches in the W column right now than it is tilts against playoff teams. We're still in search of "beat the teams you should beat" levels of football.

Getting pummeled happens in CFB...and people move on the next week. That's the difference between the two choices. One outcome is self inflicted and far more embarrassing, and avoidable.

Not to mention it will be tough to schedule any future big time non-Conf opponents going forward. Maybe we’ll just load up on cupcakes Kstate style and call it a day.

Im ok with this. Ourconference is tough enough and we need to start building a winning culture. Getting curb stomped for a nice paycheck isn’t worth it in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
That reasoning forces me to wonder where the benefits of getting destroyed by Stoops' OU teams went, or how we measure the upside of the recent drubbings against the Buckeyes.

An interesting discussion would be whether there's any such thing as "long term" any more in CFB with transfers, recruiting, and the coaching carousel moving at the speed they do.

I don't disagree that at some point you gotta beat the man to be the man. But let's bear in mind that NU does not lack access to better teams. If Nebraska was in the MAC and getting shunned from the playoff despite an elite winning % I would for sure say you gotta schedule big dogs for every non-con game.

As it is, you can make a case that around 10-12 teams in our own conference are better teams than Nebraska right now. So IMO it benefits them a lot more to beat somebody and make some money with an easier home opponent than it does to get wrecked by Oklahoma.

I think the program is in much more dire need of some notches in the W column right now than it is tilts against playoff teams. We're still in search of "beat the teams you should beat" levels of football.

So Moos needs to come out and say we aren't going to be competitive with Oklahoma and we need wins. So we need to find a team that is more in line with our current abilities. That is the message coming out anyway.

Sigh. The program I knew, loved, and lived and died for (ok, not literally) as a youth, young man, middle aged man, is no more. Unfortunately, the fan base that at one time would have loved a slate consisting of OU, tOSU, PSU, MI, MSU -- perhaps with a FSU, Miami, ND, UT or even UA thrown in, is on life support.

Reactions: OptionHolieway
It a bad move. Husker fans will cry either way. Back out = crying, lose = crying. Since the outcome will be the same, back out and schedule an easy game.. no advantage to the program to play that game.

So Moos needs to come out and say we aren't going to be competitive with Oklahoma and we need wins. So we need to find a team that is more in line with our current abilities. That is the message coming out anyway.
It couldn't haunt him any more than such hits as:

"We refuse to let the program gravitate toward mediocrity"
"We had to look at where Iowa is as a program"
or
"I hope they'll have to adjust to us."

I didn't initially consider that this could be replaced with a home game and what a big deal that added revenue would be this year. I think it's more financial than to duck OU upon further inspection, but the sad reality is that's an added bonus.

If they play it, this game will bear only a little more resemblance to the Game of the Century than it would have to have a rematch of Ali vs Frazier this week. And I say that knowing full well they're both dead.

Not to mention it will be tough to schedule any future big time non-Conf opponents going forward. Maybe we’ll just load up on cupcakes Kstate and Iowa style and call it a day.

since 2008 - Iowa has elected to play 2 nonconf games against major conference teams 6 times

during that same time Nebraska has elected to play 2 non-conference games against teams from a major conference ZERO times

Reactions: huntered
Better to stand up to the class bully and get a bloody nose than to run away and hide.
That's not the analogy. OU isn't going to take our lunch money and pull our pants down every day until we play them.

The analogy is you've just turned pro as a boxer and need to decide if you should fight the #4 ranked guy or somebody much closer to your own skill and experience level.

Not to mention it will be tough to schedule any future big time non-Conf opponents going forward. Maybe we’ll just load up on cupcakes Kstate and Iowa style and call it a day.

since 2008 - Iowa has elected to play 2 nonconf games against major conference teams 6 times

during that same time Nebraska has never elected to play 2 non-conference games against teams from a major conference
"teams from a major conference" feels like a very carefully-chosen term

I don't understand.. There's no way we would cancel because we're going to get smoked and we're scared. If Midwestern University Community College Tech can play Alabama we should be able to play this game.

I'd be pretty much done with this weak move. Sorry but what reason would they have to back out other than fear of being boat raced,? Pure sucker move if they did this..
I love all of you guys who do this macho crap. We'll play anyone, anywhere! Yeah, that really helps us now doesn't it.

Maybe I need to get testosterone shot, but I learned a long time ago that you shouldn't put your team in a position that sets them up for failure, because that's just what you're going to get.

Currently we are scheduled to play a schedule that includes Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin. We and the rest of the B10 teams have to play one more conference game than the ACC, SEC, or PAC-12. There is literally no room for a monster non-conference opponent under the current circumstances.

You can afford to have a killer NC game when you have 4 NC games. You can also afford to do it if you only have 3 but you're Ohio State. But you can't do it if you're Nebraska 2021.

Answer a serious question, what would be worse, the mocking of Nebraska after another blowout to a team like OU, or mocking because they altered their schedule to match where the program is right now and to have some additional revenue? The former is on our record forever. The latter is forgotten in a month. Even without OU, no one is going to be able to mock our SOS.

In 1995, the year we were supposedly the best team of all time, we played in the NC:

A horrible Michigan State team
An even worse Arizona State team
Pacific
Washington State

Then we played the power houses:

Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
A horrible and disjointed OU team
The worst Iowa State team in 20 years
A bad Missouri team
Colorado

For God's sake, Colorado was the only good team we played all season that year until we saw Florida.

Yeah, we beat Florida bad in the bowl game and were we were the best team in the country, but our schedule was absolutely pathetic, but no one talks about that.

It's a needed move, IMO.

Last edited:
ACC/big 12/bigten/SEC/PAC/big east when they were a major conference prior to the power 5
Thank you, I understand which are the major conferences. It sounds like something you say when you want to make a bad team from a good conference sound more impressive than they are.

Reactions: scarletred
Things like this will hurt recruiting as well. If Nebraska backs out, I wont be angry one bit if they lose to whatever cupcake they schedule that day. Just be a man and take your beatings. Also, what does this say to your current team "sorry guys hut we dint want to get embarrassed in national TV because you guys kinda suck".

Its near embarrassing to be a Husker fan these days.

I love all of you guys who do this macho crap. We'll play anyone, anywhere! Yeah, that really helps us now doesn't it.

Maybe I need to get testosterone shot, but I learned a long time ago that you shouldn't put your team in a position that sets them up for failure, because that's just what you're going to get.

Currently we are scheduled to play a schedule that included Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin. We and the rest of the B10 teams have to play one more conference game than the ACC, SEC, or PAC-12. There is literally no room for a monster non-conference opponent under the current circumstances.

You can afford to have a killer NC game when you have 4 NC games. You can also afford to do it if you only have 3 but you're Ohio State. But you can't do it if you're Nebraska 2021.

Answer a serious question, what would be worse, the mocking of Nebraska after another blowout to a team like OU, or mocking because they altered their schedule to match where the program is right now and to have some additional revenue? The former is on our record forever. The latter is forgotten in a month. Even without OU, no one is going to be able to mock our SOS.
Thank you. People act like NU can pay for the bajillion dollar upgrades they need every decade for state-of-the-art facilities in Tough Guy Tokens by NU figureheads saying they're not scared of stuff and they wanna hit people in the mouth.

A home game is worth about $12,000,000. By several measures NU is already well behind in the facilities arms race that goes toward seeking out elite recruiting classes. They've already had to push back plans to build new facilities due to COVID and the money crunch that came with it. They need to make every financial move they can, mid-March optics be damned.

This is not about the Nebraska program. It’s a short sided and last ditch effort to save jobs. Nebraska is going the way of Minnesota - soon only the dead will honor Nebraska’s status as a blue blood.

Things like this will hurt recruiting as well. If Nebraska backs out, I wont be angry one bit if they lose to whatever cupcake they schedule that day. Just be a man and take your beatings. Also, what does this say to your current team "sorry guys hut we dint want to get embarrassed in national TV because you guys kinda suck".

Its near embarrassing to be a Husker fan these days.
Maybe if their current team doesn't like it they could try beating more than 4 teams this year. GOOD, you should feel insulted and pissed off. Do something about it besides tweet "SMH" go accomplish something on a football field on a Saturday.

That's like the kid with pencil arms demanding you put 225 on the bar when he needs help off and a spot at 135.

Not to mention it will be tough to schedule any future big time non-Conf opponents going forward. Maybe we’ll just load up on cupcakes Kstate style and call it a day.
No, if the B10 wants a 9 game schedule, then we don't play any really tough games in NC. We can do that again if we go back to 8 B10 games.

Hey, I have an idea, lets schedule Alabama, Clemson, and OU every year in the NC. We'd be real bad asses then.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Im ok with this. Ourconference is tough enough and we need to start building a winning culture. Getting curb stomped for a nice paycheck isn’t worth it in my opinion.

You must pee sitting down. This is why I strongly disagree with hormone therapy on minors.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT