ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Schiano (back) to Rutgers

Larry Hagman's Liver

Defensive Coordinator
Nov 18, 2004
In Transit
Rutgers, Greg Schiano reach agreement for former Scarlet Knights coach to return, per reports
Schiano went 68-67 in his first tenure with Rutgers, posting winning records In six his final seven seasons

After negotiations appeared to have stalled last week, Rutgers is indeed going back to Greg Schiano to pull the Scarlet Knights football program out of the basement and turn it around. Again. Rutgers and Schiano have agreed in principle to a reunion, according to NJ.com and Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel.

The Scarlet Knights have brought back Schiano to lead the program two months after firing Chris Ash. Schiano previously coached Rutgers from 2001-11, compiling a 68-67 record. The Scarlet Knights are 2-10 and winless in the Big Ten play this season with their only wins over UMass and Liberty. The program endured its fifth straight losing season.

Reports of a Schiano-Rutgers reunion have been circulating for weeks -- basically ever since Ash was fired. The delays in the inevitable were, reportedly, numerous demands made by Schiano that included a new indoor practice facility, other upgrades, a hefty increase in salaries for assistant coaches and use of a private jet for recruiting and other purposes. Many of those requests required high-level university authorization, but the school was apparently willing to meet Schiano on them until it suddenly was not last week.

At its peak in Schiano's first tenure, Rutgers was a player in the now-defunct Big East conference, posting winning records in six of Schiano's final seven seasons. That included an 11-win season in 2006, tying the school record for most wins in a season with the 1976 undefeated team. That year, the Scarlet Knights were ranked as high as No. 7 in the AP Top 25. In all, Schiano is responsible for five of Rutgers' 11 best seasons ever.

Reactions: headcard
This article really paints the local story. They finally got their guy, but only thanks to an unprecedented uprising/revolt by their fans and boosters. Damn near stormed the AD's office with torches and pitchforks.

Didn't know Rutgers "Nation" had it in 'em, but gotta give props. Right or wrong, they got that shit done.

THIS TIME IT’S REAL! Greg Schiano returns as Rutgers coach after miraculous reversal

Greg Schiano is coming home.

And this time, that will not change.

The Wyckoff native will return as Rutgers’ football coach, a person with knowledge of the deal told NJ Advance Media, bringing a conclusion few believed would be possible as recently as six days ago to the wildest week in program history.

The news was first reported on Rutgers Sports Insider, NJ.com’s subscription-based text messaging service.

Introducing Rutgers Sports Insider: Sign up for exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text message directly with beat writers

Schiano will be the Scarlet Knights’ coach once again after a deal thought dead was saved following an unprecedented uprising of pressure from boosters, fans and lawmakers against the university, as well as Schiano’s willingness to return to the table and find a path to getting his old job back.

NJ Advance Media first reported Wednesday the growing belief Rutgers and Schiano would salvage the deal after nearly three weeks of negotiations had collapsed last Sunday.

Rutgers and Schiano broke off talks in controversial fashion after Rutgers balked at some of the coach’s requests in his final counter-offer. That decision sparked a firestorm. Since then, Rutgers athletics director Pat Hobbs, university president Robert Barchi, athletics committee chairman Greg Brown and the 14-person Board of Governors became the targets of exasperated fans.

Prominent boosters publicly have called for Hobbs’ firing. Other top donors have threatened to withhold planned and future pledges. Many season-ticket holders and rank-and-file fans also have called for Hobbs’ firing and Schiano’s return, blaming Hobbs - who many believe didn’t want Schiano in the first place, had to be convinced to interview him and them sabotaged the negotiations by painting Schiano as greedy.

The initial failed courtship also sparked intense interest in Trenton, with Gov. Phil Murphy intervening while two former governors, Chris Christie and Richard Codey, publicly sparred over Schiano.

It all amounted to an immense pressure campaign unlike anything Rutgers had ever seen. And, for those who wanted Schiano hired back, it worked.

Schiano, 53, built the Rutgers football program into a frequent bowl participant before leaving for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in early 2012 following an 11-year run from 2001-11. He spent three seasons as Ohio State’s defensive coordinator and then had a brief stint in the same role with the New England Patriots earlier this year before electing to take the season off.

Rutgers went 68-67 under Schiano, but that record is deceiving. The Ramapo High product inherited arguably the nation’s worst program when he was hired. The Scarlet Knights had four straight losing seasons to begin his tenure but broke through to appear in the program’s second-ever bowl game in 2005, his fifth year.

Rutgers then had a breakthrough 2006, going 11-2 and finishing the year ranked No. 12 in the nation after an iconic home upset of Louisville during the regular season and the school’s first-ever postseason win in the Texas Bowl.

Schiano took Rutgers to six bowl games in his final seven seasons, winning five of them, with a record of 56-33 during that span.

Lovely. Now that they've got a coaching advantage over us I don't think we can chalk that game up as a W next year. More of a toss-up now. Woof

They had no other choice. Neither did Schiano. He played poker to get what he wanted knowing they were desperate and it nearly backfired, but in the end he won.

Rutgers, Greg Schiano reach agreement for former Scarlet Knights coach to return, per reports
Schiano went 68-67 in his first tenure with Rutgers, posting winning records In six his final seven seasons

After negotiations appeared to have stalled last week, Rutgers is indeed going back to Greg Schiano to pull the Scarlet Knights football program out of the basement and turn it around. Again. Rutgers and Schiano have agreed in principle to a reunion, according to NJ.com and Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel.

The Scarlet Knights have brought back Schiano to lead the program two months after firing Chris Ash. Schiano previously coached Rutgers from 2001-11, compiling a 68-67 record. The Scarlet Knights are 2-10 and winless in the Big Ten play this season with their only wins over UMass and Liberty. The program endured its fifth straight losing season.

Reports of a Schiano-Rutgers reunion have been circulating for weeks -- basically ever since Ash was fired. The delays in the inevitable were, reportedly, numerous demands made by Schiano that included a new indoor practice facility, other upgrades, a hefty increase in salaries for assistant coaches and use of a private jet for recruiting and other purposes. Many of those requests required high-level university authorization, but the school was apparently willing to meet Schiano on them until it suddenly was not last week.

At its peak in Schiano's first tenure, Rutgers was a player in the now-defunct Big East conference, posting winning records in six of Schiano's final seven seasons. That included an 11-win season in 2006, tying the school record for most wins in a season with the 1976 undefeated team. That year, the Scarlet Knights were ranked as high as No. 7 in the AP Top 25. In all, Schiano is responsible for five of Rutgers' 11 best seasons ever.
Not one bit surprised. The on and off is just a negotiations dance.

Lovely. Now that they've got a coaching advantage over us I don't think we can chalk that game up as a W next year. More of a toss-up now. Woof
Oh c'mon man. He was a .500 coach at Rutgers playing in the Big East.

Reactions: WHCSC
Oh c'mon man. He was a .500 coach at Rutgers playing in the Big East.

So basically you are saying that he did better at Rutgers than Frost has at Nebraska? Frost hasn't come close to Schiano-level success here.

So basically you are saying that he did better at Rutgers than Frost has at Nebraska? Frost hasn't come close to Schiano-level success here.
Go back and look at Schiano's record in that sh##ty conference. He's a good coach but c'mon man. All of the piling on Frost is just stupid.

Reactions: WHCSC
Go back and look at Schiano's record in that sh##ty conference. He's a good coach but c'mon man. All of the piling on Frost is just stupid.

Right now, the numbers say he's a better coach. He brought bottom-dwelling Rutgers to a somewhat respectable level. All Frost has done is chase players away, throw them under the bus, and find ways to lose ballgames.

G
Right now, the numbers say he's a better coach. He brought bottom-dwelling Rutgers to a somewhat respectable level. All Frost has done is chase players away, throw them under the bus, and find ways to lose ballgames.
Good God man. What's your goal with this non-stop sh##? Are you really a Husker fan? Do you care about recruiting? Do you realize that recruits lurk on board? Do you understand that you and your buddies could potentially sway a kid who might have come to NU otherwise. I know some of the guys spouting the same mantra are not Husker fans. What is your excuse? We've got less than 2 weeks until the early signing date. SCHIANO was at Rutgers for TEN FREAKING years and he was a .500 coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard and WHCSC
G

Good God man. What's your goal with this non-stop sh##? Are you really a Husker fan? Do you care about recruting? Do you realize that recruits lurk on board? Do understand that you and your buddies could potentially sway a kid who might have come to NU otherwise. I know some of the guys spouting the same mantra are not Husker fans. What is your excuse? We've got less than 2 weeks until the early signing date. SCHIANO was at Rutgers for TEN FREAKING years and he was a .500 coach.

Recruits see the shitshow on the field. That's a million times worse than some random on a message board that thinks Frost has been complete shyte so far.

Nice attempt at spinning our floundering recruiting as a message board problem tho. Real cute.

Nice attempt at spinning our floundering recruiting as a message board problem tho. Real cute.
I've been lurking and then posting on this board for about a dozen years. I know for a fact from my time on the RSS and since that this one of the places that recruits and parents sometimes come to gauge the attitude of our fans. The bizarre bashing I see here is not a good thing for our program and will be used against us. You're naive if you think message boards can't influence a kid. One thread in particular today was started by a couple of Minnesota trolls. You do realize that we are recruiting against Minnesota for several guys right? You do realize that the early signing day is just a few days away right? Would it be possible to tone down the hate for just a few days?

I've been lurking and then posting on this board for about a dozen years. I know for a fact from my time on the RSS and since that this one of the places that recruits and parents sometimes come to gauge the attitude of our fans. The bizarre bashing I see here is not a good thing for our program and will be used against us. You're naive if you think message boards can't influence a kid. One thread in particular today was started by a couple of Minnesota trolls. You do realize that we are recruiting against Minnesota for several guys right? You do realize that the early signing day is just a few days away right? Would it be possible to tone down the hate for just a few days?

Bizarre bashing? It's all warranted! Did you just get out of a coma having missed the last two seasons? Holy shit, man.

Bizarre bashing? It's all warranted! Did you just get out of a coma having missed the last two seasons? Holy shit, man.
So if you tear a fingernail do you take out a hammer and repeatedly beat on that finger with your hammer? What do you hope to accomplish by thread after thread, post after post continuing to tear down our staff? Why do it? Does it make you feel better?

So if you tear a fingernail do you take out a hammer and repeatedly beat on that finger with your hammer? What do you hope to accomplish by thread after thread, post after post continuing to tear down our staff? Why do it? Does it make you feel better?

Back to back losing seasons and running a clown show at a Blueblood is not "tearing a fingernail". Frost has not failed small, he's failed bigly.

Back to back losing seasons and running a clown show at a Blueblood is not "tearing a fingernail". Frost has not failed small, he's failed bigly.
So far he's failed. Are you going to do what you can to help him succeed or are you going to continue to use your keyboard to hurt recruiting?

So far he's failed. Are you going to do what you can to help him succeed or are you going to continue to use your keyboard to hurt recruiting?

Don't be such a dummy. I'm not posting to hurt recruiting, and even if I was, it wouldn't have any effect. On the flip side, I could sit here and lie and pretend that everything is just peachy like the Cletii do. But guess what? That wouldn't help Frost or recruiting.

If we want to be open and honest about what, if anything, might hurt recruiting on message boards, it's probably all the MAGAmen that get political on here. The Lincoln guy was just one of the recent ones to invoke dear leader in some bizarre Frost defense post.

Don't be such a dummy. I'm not posting to hurt recruiting, and even if I was, it wouldn't have any effect.
If you don't think constant negativity on social media or message boards by very active posters affects recruiting we'll just have to disagree. At least please consider the possibility for the next few days.:Cool:

If you don't think constant negativity on social media or message boards by very active posters affects recruiting we'll just have to disagree. At least please consider the possibility for the next few days.:Cool:

I'm not out here tweeting at recruits like your hero, uberism. Just stop it.

I'm not out here tweeting at recruits like your hero, uberism. Just stop it.
I pretty much ignore uberism and IF he's who I think he is, he's been banned under multiple usernames previously. I smoked him out once a year or so ago. He's off the charts. It's cool man. Just consider what I'm saying. I understand your frustration.

I pretty much ignore uberism and IF he's who I think he is, he's been banned under multiple usernames previously. I smoked him out once a year or so ago. He's off the charts. It's cool man. Just consider what I'm saying. I understand your frustration.

Ok, cool.

Sometimes you have to tear down an old house to build a new one.

G

Good God man. What's your goal with this non-stop sh##? Are you really a Husker fan? Do you care about recruiting? Do you realize that recruits lurk on board? Do you understand that you and your buddies could potentially sway a kid who might have come to NU otherwise. I know some of the guys spouting the same mantra are not Husker fans. What is your excuse? We've got less than 2 weeks until the early signing date. SCHIANO was at Rutgers for TEN FREAKING years and he was a .500 coach.
I bet this board isn't much different than the boards for other teams.

Nebraska shouldn't want a kid that uses an internet message board in making his decisions.

Schiano was .500 for the time he was there (11 seasons). However, in his last 7 seasons, he was .636...at Rutgers, with 5 bowl wins out of 6, for a bowl win percentage of .833.

Frost is 28-22, for a .560 clip. He is .500 in bowls.

I hope you don't honestly think Nebraska in 2018 was more downtrodden than Rutgers in 2001....

Maybe wait to see if Frost actually cracks .575 or .600 before you start trashing someone else that was able to have some success at a school that generally hasn't had as much as other programs (under .500 all-time).

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNewNU
It must be truly soul crushing to live in Nebraska, to know deep down Rutgers right now is likely better than Nebraska, and given the recruiting grounds Rutgers will forever always be better than nebraska until football stops in 15 years or so

It must be truly soul crushing to live in Nebraska, to know deep down Rutgers right now is likely better than Nebraska, and given the recruiting grounds Rutgers will forever always be better than nebraska until football stops in 15 years or so
Rutgers is the laughing stock of college football. Schiano had to write football facilities into his contract to get your admin to look into facilities. We are building a $155mm facility. Good try though, luckily for you Schiano is coming in to save your asses.

Wow the audacity here. We've had 3 wins in 2 years and been everyone's b*tch in the B10 and you have the nerve to go to other fans forums and talk shit?

So its not Riley's fault our talent level is down? It's our fault because of all the Riley bashing here!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT