ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Nebraska target announces decision...

I honestly don't know much about the kid. I welcome him no matter what. But if he is considered a "top target" we are in a world of hurt. These type of kids are Iowas top targets. I know this sounds horrible and it is nothing against Gabe specifically. More so recruiting as a whole. Nebraska has been struggling heavily in the recruiting front as of late. The no official visits have really really hurt Nebraska in recruiting. More so than many others probably. Many recruits have said after they have visited that it really changed their perception of Nebraska not only as a program but as a location. If we are not allowed to get kids on campus asap I think we are going to be lucky to have a class in the top 50 this year.
If we are getting to the point as a program where middle of the road 3 stars are our best options we are going to have learn how to develop the hell out of these guys, an area that we have been horrible at the last 5-10 years.

I honestly don't know much about the kid. I welcome him no matter what. But if he is considered a "top target" we are in a world of hurt. These type of kids are Iowas top targets. I know this sounds horrible and it is nothing against Gabe specifically. More so recruiting as a whole. Nebraska has been struggling heavily in the recruiting front as of late. The no official visits have really really hurt Nebraska in recruiting. More so than many others probably. Many recruits have said after they have visited that it really changed their perception of Nebraska not only as a program but as a location. If we are not allowed to get kids on campus asap I think we are going to be lucky to have a class in the top 50 this year.
If we are getting to the point as a program where middle of the road 3 stars are our best options we are going to have learn how to develop the hell out of these guys, an area that we have been horrible at the last 5-10 years.
I disagree that he shouldn't be considered a top target and is more in-line with what Iowa should recruit.

Did you look at his offer list? The kid is from Georgia and has an offer to play RB at Georgia - that right there should tell you everything you need to know about this kids skill and ability.

He is our top guy at running back and I trust our coaches in evaluating talent. Don’t be surprised if he gets a star bump if football resumes in the fall. RB isn’t a position I think we need to worry about landing elite play makers. We need to build our offensive line in which we have been doing. 2021 will be the year that you will see our oline start to manhandle opponents. Without a good oline, not even the 5 star guys would thrive in.

Another 3 star guy that turned out alright was Ameer Abdullah.

I think this is a little harsh, but I understand the point you're making. At this point, it's not looking like it'll be a Top 20 class - maybe more like #35. Let's just wait and see where things end up. A lot can change between now and signing day.

I do think not having a season or having significantly reduced visits will disproportionately affect Nebraska. The plan was to show improvement on the field and couple that with an amazing gameday experience.

How long have you been around this board? Not trying to be rude so if it sounds that way I apologize, but people have been saying the same thing on this board year after year and we seem to always close strong. As others have said, look at the offers, not the stars.

I don’t follow recruiting at all, except when someone commits. I haven’t heard of this kid either, but let’s see where things stand in December...

I disagree that he shouldn't be considered a top target and is more in-line with what Iowa should recruit.

Did you look at his offer list? The kid is from Georgia and has an offer to play RB at Georgia - that right there should tell you everything you need to know about this kids skill and ability.
he's ranked as the 60th best player in the state.. and something like 34th at his position..

meanwhile, Minnesota pulls in the #6 APB...

I disagree, big time. This is a good looking prospect, with a great offer list. Morrison was ranked similar last year and ended up a 4-star. I also don't agree that we are struggling, to the degree you think. I think the staff initially struggled with the shutdown and have adjusted. We are in great shape with some really good prospects like Fidone, Neville, Ho'Ohuli, etc. And those are just guys we know about, this stuff always seems to operate under the radar. Fans had virtually no idea we were even in on guys like Francois, Greene, Flemming, Payton, Hardy, etc before they committed.

That RB Minnesota got, is also a 3-star and doesn't have as good of offers as Ervin.
that's cool.. but if it's anything like Nebraska offers, I mean we offer just about everyone, and most offers aren't really committable either.. so I'm sure it's that way for many schools out there.

he might turn out ok.. if he is really 6'1, that is a good frame, and he appears to have nice vision.. I doubt he was the top kid at that position on our board though, because we offered just about everyone.

Well I wouldn't get too excited one way or the other. These days commitments don't really mean much until signing day. Sad but that's reality right now. It's pretty fluid for all schools.

And I agree that offer lists don't mean much these days. A lot of the self-proclaimed offers from prestige schools are meant as self-promotion and are not really serious offers.

So in the end you just go by who the coaches offer and accept commitments from. After all, it's their jobs that are on the line if they screw up.

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't get too excited one way or the other. These days commitments don't really mean much until signing day. Sad but that's reality right now. It's pretty fluid for all schools.

True. This kid hasn’t actually visited Lincoln. He could stay committed, sign and then pull a Henry Gray.. We just never know. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

that's cool.. but if it's anything like Nebraska offers, I mean we offer just about everyone, and most offers aren't really committable either.. so I'm sure it's that way for many schools out there.

he might turn out ok.. if he is really 6'1, that is a good frame, and he appears to have nice vision.. I doubt he was the top kid at that position on our board though, because we offered just about everyone.

True. Hard for anyone to really know what the coaches board looks like and of course it changes all the time. A kid might be on the top today, after other kids commit elsewhere. For example, Rollins could be the top kid on the TE board, after Fidone and Helm commit elsewhere (not saying that will happen just an example).

Reactions: NikkiSixx
As Notre Dame continues to scour the country for a Class of 2021 running back, Buford (Ga.) High School standout Gabe Ervin is another name to know.

Buford High School football is synonymous with Georgia high school football. In fact, it’s one of the nation’s top overall prep programs during the past twenty years. Since the 2000 season, Buford is 221-14 with 11 state championships.

That’s not a misprint.

The Gwinnett County juggernaut is located in the northern section of the talent-rich area, and it’s a program Irish fans might remember running back Darius Walker coming from. Walker played three seasons (2004-2006) for the Irish before heading to the NFL as Notre Dame’s fourth all-time leading rusher.

Now, there’s another Buford Wolves running back to know.

It’s the same down-hill, we’re coming right at you, power football offense for Buford, and Ervin totes the football like a between-the-tackles running back should.

Ervin’s quick feet, combined with his strength, make him a high-upside prospect. Here’s a look at Ervin’s junior film.

Three traits stood out above the others. First, Ervin hits the hole right now! He’s quick enough, despite being a long-legged player, to get up to speed by his third step. That allows Ervin to accelerate into the second level quite easily. From there, few high school defensive backs are a match for him one-on-one.

Whether Ervin powers through arm tackles or jukes a defensive back with a one-cut-go move, he’s usually going to win the battle. That’s where his second attribute comes into play.

Effort.

Few running backs will run harder than Ervin. That means a lot to a team, because he sets the tone. Power and effort do make up a big part of football, regardless of position. Ervin possesses both qualities.

He gains the tough yards after contact. Offensive linemen love blocking for running backs like Ervin. He gives it his all, and he will do so game-in and game-out.

Another unique aspect of Ervin’s game to like would be his ability to make cuts in the backfield, prior to hitting the line of scrimmage. Sometimes the hole does not line up with wear the play would be originally designed to go. Ervin adjusted well during his junior campaign, and that natural skill will serve him well during the entirety of his football career. He should not be considered a finished prospect, however.

Ervin lacks top-notch second level speed. He provides good speed, but can be run down by defensive backs. Beyond that, there’s much to like about Ervin’s game. With a focus towards improving explosive movements (see below), as well as his sheer speed, Ervin does provide a high ceiling for the college program that lands him. Here’s a look at Ervin working out.

Gabe Ervin@gabe_ervin

https://twitter.com/gabe_ervin/status/1258784468627869698

Early mornin!!! @VexSportsAtl

10:42 AM - May 8, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Gabe Ervin's other Tweets

As Notre Dame continues to evaluate its running back board, Ervin is a player to watch. Right now, Notre Dame has not contacted Ervin, but that is something the staff needs to rectify.

Welcome aboard Gabe Ervin. A 5.6 3 star RB that’s 6 foot 205 pounds and has offers from Georgia and Georgia Tech, ASU, Arkansas, Colorado, FSU, Miami, Va Tech, USC, Texas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Iowa just to name a few....yeah I’m good with this guy. Makes me think of Sevion Morrison last year. A 5.6 3 star RB and ended up being a Top 250 4 star RB when it was all said and done. GBR

Last edited:
Gabe Ervin has a 79 ranking via ESPN recruiting which is borderline 4 star (80 and up is their 4 star range), i definitely see Rivals and/or 24/7 giving him a nice ratings bump at some point for sure. Even more so with that offer list and film on him. We may put out a lot of offers but not ever team on his offer list does that. So some of those offers are legit.

Last edited:
Fun video announcement. ...love the family sporting red and supporting Gabe. Stoic papa, proud and happy mama, and excited little brother... Welcome to the family, sir!
That’s a great observation... there won’t be any drama from the family wanting him close to home, should it come down to it. I’m excited to see him come to Nebraska. Sounds like a great pickup!

His stride, cuts, and body type remind me of LP. Not saying he’s LP, I’m just saying that it’s the first comp that came to mind.

How long have you been around this board? Not trying to be rude so if it sounds that way I apologize, but people have been saying the same thing on this board year after year and we seem to always close strong. As others have said, look at the offers, not the stars.

I don’t follow recruiting at all, except when someone commits. I haven’t heard of this kid either, but let’s see where things stand in December...
Been around about as long as you. No offense taken. So yes, I do know that people usually freak out about this time every year. Maybe it is just me but this time feels different and is much different as the shutdown/ covid stuff. Feels like our normal B and C plans are becoming our A plans. Again could be just me.
Just hit me the wrong way saying "Nebraskas Top offensive Target" I didn't mean anything more than that by it.

1. Objectively speaking, we are a loser program currently. So the fact we’re still mustering up decent recruits is a major positive.... an important piece to rebuild. Most top tier talent isn’t going to come to Nebraska until we prove we’re ready to compete.

2. I think we’re still in on a couple smaller, faster RBs. Hopefully, we can land one of them and bring in the proverbial thunder/lightning combo that is always appealing to me.

Frost wanted to add more power elements to his scheme, but he’ll still want to attract the speedsters that have been successful in his offense.

Been around about as long as you. No offense taken. So yes, I do know that people usually freak out about this time every year. Maybe it is just me but this time feels different and is much different as the shutdown/ covid stuff. Feels like our normal B and C plans are becoming our A plans. Again could be just me.
Just hit me the wrong way saying "Nebraskas Top offensive Target" I didn't mean anything more than that by it.
I hear ya. As I’ve said repeatedly, I am an optimist, so it’s hard for me to be objective at times.
To your point, if this is the top offensive target, that is scary to think that a 3 star (at this time at least) player would be our top target. I haven’t seen his film, but others seem pretty excited by what they’ve seen, which helps me think this is a good get...

Reactions: husker2612
ADVERTISEMENT