ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking down Scott Frost's offense from a coaching perspective

This is a helpful video! I also like these guys and their thick-ass Billy Bob Bubba accents. I almost want to her a SQUEEP BEEP BEE DAH DEE DOOOOO at the end of every major segment.

We are breaking down most of the new hires in college football. We've broke down Taggart and Morris so far. Frost is the real deal. Congrats on the hire, seems like as good as a person as he is a coach.

We think and hope (some think they know) so too. I really think Frost will kill it here at Nebraska. He has a top notch offense and has great assistants to help him along and there all jelling. Since we are a blue blood football team, Frost should be able get his share of elite talent here to run his offense and even defense. Between Gebbia and Martinez, one of the QBs (if not both of them) should kill it in Frosts offense with those WRs and RBs we have. I think in 2-3 years we will be owning the the west and competing with the top east teams ever year. Now how long will it take for us to be the top BIG10 team or one of the tops?? We shall see.

We think and hope (some think they know) so too. I really think Frost will kill it here at Nebraska. He has a top notch offense and has great assistants to help him along and there all jelling. Since we are a blue blood football team, Frost should be able get his share of elite talent here to run his offense and even defense. Between Gebbia and Martinez, one of the QBs (if not both of them) should kill it in Frosts offense with those WRs and RBs we have. I think in 2-3 years we will be owning the the west and competing with the top east teams ever year. Now how long will it take for us to be the top BIG10 team or one of the tops?? We shall see.

I'd say we will soon be "one of the top" teams. Those guys in the video even say, the Big Ten has become probably the most competitive conference in college football. I think Ohio State will pretty much always be good, Michigan and Michigan State usually will, and Penn State as well. I think if we can beat Wisconsin 3 out of every 5 years on average and make it to the championship game at about the same ratio, and win it every now and then, we'll be back at the top. I think with all of the parity in CFB now, that's what Nebraska looks like when it makes a comeback.

In all seriousness though, good stuff. I always enjoy a coaching breakdown. I know more than most casual fans, but definitely less than coaches so this sort of thing is cool to watch.

Frost definitely learned the value from Osborne of being able to make a play look like it's the same old thing and then murder you with the variation after he put your LBs or your Safeties to sleep and got them biting.

It will be a tough learning curve this year, it's going to look very ugly at times. But I'm excited for what Gebbia's accuracy could bring to a "vanilla" version of this offense where they're not polished enough yet to triple off every little thing.

How slick is that play where Milton fakes the give, fakes the pitch and then pitches it way downfield for the TD? You don't get tired of watching that.

Last edited:
I'd say we will soon be "one of the top" teams. Those guys in the video even say, the Big Ten has become probably the most competitive conference in college football. I think Ohio State will pretty much always be good, Michigan and Michigan State usually will, and Penn State as well. I think if we can beat Wisconsin 3 out of every 5 years on average and make it to the championship game at about the same ratio, and win it every now and then, we'll be back at the top. I think with all of the parity in CFB now, that's what Nebraska looks like when it makes a comeback.

Please, define good for Michigan, based on Jim Harbaugh?

Thanks for posting. The funny thing is that to my knowledge, Nebraska has never run a true triple option. The gives to the fullback were pre-planned and weren't reads by the QB. So we just had the option of pitching or keeping between the QB and IB.

From what I've gathered so far, Frost has taken the Oregon offense, and where Chip Kelly would run a play with no RPO, Frost realized that it would be much more difficult to both scout and to stop that offense if he added RPO to a number of those plays that Oregon ran that didn't have RPO. He also uses shifts just prior to the snap to not allow the defense to adjust. Not to mention counters to the formations that always keep the defense guessing. Essentially he scouted himself and wanted to make it much more difficult to predict where a play was going.

I still believe that it isn't going to be nearly as easy for Nebraska to move the ball in the B1G as it was for UCF to move the ball in the AAC. At least for a few years. Think about it. In the AAC, UCF had talent that was at the top of the league, or at least similar to the top of the league. They could get people in space and win those one-on-one matchups. Sure, UCF beat Auburn, but they struggled mightily on offense for a large portion of that game, and ultimately turnovers made the difference. Plus... It's still just a one game sampling. It's great they won, and I was very happy to see it, but the jury is still out against very talented teams for an entire season.

At Nebraska, we are way behind the talent level of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State right now, and probably a little bit behind Michigan State and possibly Wisconsin. And the coaches are going to be more accomplished in the B1G vs many staffs in the AAC. It will be much more difficult to win those one-on-ones vs the upper echelon teams in the B1G. It's going to be much tougher sledding in the B1G for Frost's offense, simply because of more athletes in the B1G. It may take us a while to get all the athletes needed to complete with the B1G's best on both sides of the ball.

All that being said, here's a pretty cool article on the differences that Frost employs vs the Kelly spread, that defeats many of the presnap reads the defense can make against Kelly's offense..

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/...olved-chip-kelly-s-offense-at-central-florida

Last edited:
Appreciate it. Thanks for the nice comments.

Comments from the paid board:

1. Sounds like if Frost ran for Governor down south he'd have these two fellas votes.

Well worth the time/listen.

GBR!

2. Damn, glad I spent 40 minutes of my night to watch that.

Could you imagine being a defensive coordinator and trying to come up with a plan to stop that offense?

3. That is a good idea on their part to turn all of the lights off in the Room before recording.

4. That team had the perfect athletes to run that offense. I can’t wait to see this offense run fluently like that when we get it all installed and with the right pieces. Urban isn’t going to be the only flashy spread offense in the big ten anymore.

Comments from the paid board:

1. Sounds like if Frost ran for Governor down south he'd have these two fellas votes.

Well worth the time/listen.

GBR!

2. Damn, glad I spent 40 minutes of my night to watch that.

Could you imagine being a defensive coordinator and trying to come up with a plan to stop that offense?

3. That is a good idea on their part to turn all of the lights off in the Room before recording.

4. That team had the perfect athletes to run that offense. I can’t wait to see this offense run fluently like that when we get it all installed and with the right pieces. Urban isn’t going to be the only flashy spread offense in the big ten anymore.

It appears the Biggest Key to running this offense is a QB to fit the system and that can quickly choose the right option both before and after the ball is snapped. Milton is real good, especially for just a 2 star recruit no other major wanted to even look at. Of course, Tuco would rather have a randomly selected 4 star QB.

Reactions: oldjar07
No concerns about Frost's innovative offensive schemes. The questions are more about the team's ability to be a bully again.

It appears the Biggest Key to running this offense is a QB to fit the system and that can quickly choose the right option both before and after the ball is snapped. Milton is real good, especially for just a 2 star recruit no other major wanted to even look at. Of course, Tuco would rather have a randomly selected 4 star QB.
As I recall, Frost wanted to recruit Milton back when he was at Oregon but he got vetoed by the Oregon head coach who had no interest. So when Frost became UCF head coach he went back to recruiting Milton.

Little question that Frost has an eye for the QB talent required to run his offense. That probably more than anything is what excites me most about Martinez - it was Frost's undeniable enthusiasm for recruiting him that stood out.

As I recall, Frost wanted to recruit Milton back when he was at Oregon but he got vetoed by the Oregon head coach who had no interest. So when Frost became UCF head coach he went back to recruiting Milton.

Little question that Frost has an eye for the QB talent required to run his offense. That probably more than anything is what excites me most about Martinez - it was Frost's undeniable enthusiasm for recruiting him that stood out.

Yes, I agree. SF knows what he needs.

You mean like the 4 star Adrian Martinez? Ha ha think before you post.

Why didn’t he just let Martinez go to Tennessee and get some 2 Star no one else wanted?

Actually this is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

Hypothetically, if Martinez was a 2019 recruit but wanted to take his time on making a decision, does Frost take a random 2 star rather than wait for Martinez?

The idea that Nebraska is going to get all 4 and 5 star players wasn’t what I am talking about. That won’t happen. I am talking about exhausting all options before taking a commitment from a lower ranked player you can get later. Nothing more.

Last edited:
I agree with the parity, as dominant as Alabama has been two of their national titles recently were years win they did not even win their conference, much less their own division.

Thanks for posting. The funny thing is that to my knowledge, Nebraska has never run a true triple option. The gives to the fullback were pre-planned and weren't reads by the QB. So we just had the option of pitching or keeping between the QB and IB.

From what I've gathered so far, Frost has taken the Oregon offense, and where Chip Kelly would run a play with no RPO, Frost realized that it would be much more difficult to both scout and to stop that offense if he added RPO to a number of those plays that Oregon ran that didn't have RPO. He also uses shifts just prior to the snap to not allow the defense to adjust. Not to mention counters to the formations that always keep the defense guessing. Essentially he scouted himself and wanted to make it much more difficult to predict where a play was going.

I still believe that it isn't going to be nearly as easy for Nebraska to move the ball in the B1G as it was for UCF to move the ball in the AAC. At least for a few years. Think about it. In the AAC, UCF had talent that was at the top of the league, or at least similar to the top of the league. They could get people in space and win those one-on-one matchups. Sure, UCF beat Auburn, but they struggled mightily on offense for a large portion of that game, and ultimately turnovers made the difference. Plus... It's still just a one game sampling. It's great they won, and I was very happy to see it, but the jury is still out against very talented teams for an entire season.

At Nebraska, we are way behind the talent level of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State right now, and probably a little bit behind Michigan State and possibly Wisconsin. And the coaches are going to be more accomplished in the B1G vs many staffs in the AAC. It will be much more difficult to win those one-on-ones vs the upper echelon teams in the B1G. It's going to be much tougher sledding in the B1G for Frost's offense, simply because of more athletes in the B1G. It may take us a while to get all the athletes needed to complete with the B1G's best on both sides of the ball.

All that being said, here's a pretty cool article on the differences that Frost employs vs the Kelly spread, that defeats many of the presnap reads the defense can make against Kelly's offense..

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/...olved-chip-kelly-s-offense-at-central-florida

UCFs scheme didn't really struggle vs Auburn. Milton struggled in the 1st Half and seemed rattled. He was missing wide open throws and generally seemed a little overwhelmed by the moment. UCF left plenty of explosive plays on the field.

Frost really didn't have to make any adjustments at halftime. Milton just has to start playing better. Ultimately they put up 400+ yards on the best defense in the SEC.

Why didn’t he just let Martinez go to Tennessee and get some 2 Star no one else wanted?

Hypothetically, if Martinez was a 2019 recruit but wanted to take his time on making a decision, does Frost take a random 2 star rather than wait for Martinez?

The idea that Nebraska is going to get all 4 and 5 star players wasn’t what I am talking about. That won’t happen. I am talking about exhausting all options before taking a commitment from a lower ranked player you can get later. Nothing more.

Tuco, Frost has a board and ranks guys based on need, I think your question focuses more on taking a verbal from a lower ranked guy on Frost's board because the higher ranked guy is on the fence? And what if we eventually get the higher ranked guy to verbal?

Ideally, 2 spots would be "open" so both guys could come on board, or attrition can account for a guy, so needed at that spot, that we take his verbal regardless. In that sense we get both guys in the end. GBR

P.S. Can't financial "aid" assist in solving these problems as well? Especially on the attrition side, if we have a few players on ship that qualify, they go that route to free up a scholly?

Reactions: huskerfan66
UCFs scheme didn't really struggle vs Auburn. Milton struggled in the 1st Half and seemed rattled. He was missing wide open throws and generally seemed a little overwhelmed by the moment. UCF left plenty of explosive plays on the field.

Frost really didn't have to make any adjustments at halftime. Milton just has to start playing better. Ultimately they put up 400+ yards on the best defense in the SEC.

Killen wasn't getting much of anything on the ground at all, which is pretty atypical. Yes, Milton was struggling the first half, but I would say at least some of that was because they were going up against better athletes than they normally go up against. They still won the game because of timely turnovers. But I know, that's part of the game, and UCF put a ton of pressure on the pocket. I'm hopeful our defense can find a way to do the same.

The point is still that we are going to have more difficulty running this offense in the B1G vs what UCF had running it in the AAC. I highly doubt we are going to finish 2nd in the nation in total offense any time in the foreseeable future. If Frost can pull that off, he should receive a lifetime contract.

Last edited:
Tuco, Frost has a board and ranks guys based on need, I think your question focuses more on taking a verbal from a lower ranked guy on Frost's board because the higher ranked guy is on the fence? And what if we eventually get the higher ranked guy to verbal?

Ideally, 2 spots would be "open" so both guys could come on board, or attrition can account for a guy, so needed at that spot, that we take his verbal regardless. In that sense we get both guys in the end. GBR

P.S. Can't financial "aid" assist in solving these problems as well? Especially on the attrition side, if we have a few players on ship that qualify, they go that route to free up a scholly?

Ok a couple of things - Frost’s board ranks players. What he has said is that if the player has a “commitable offer” they can commit. Now if they only have a “need” for 2 RBs and the players ranked 7 and 8 on their board grab them, then they’re done at that position. Just like QB this year. They told McCaffery they were taking 1 and he took it. Didn’t matter if he was 1 or 5 on the list. He said yes first.

I get the concept, they evaluate players and if they are willing to accept the commitment then it doesn’t matter to them if the player is 1 or 10 on their actual board. We won’t actually know because No coach is going to say player A was 5th on our board but we took him anyway.

Yes, that was impressive as hell. As HCSF can do that with UCF's talent he surely has an excellent chance of success with NU's talent. Six weeks to go......it seems like 6,000 years to go. :eek:

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Ok a couple of things - Frost’s board ranks players. What he has said is that if the player has a “commitable offer” they can commit. Now if they only have a “need” for 2 RBs and the players ranked 7 and 8 on their board grab them, then they’re done at that position. Just like QB this year. They told McCaffery they were taking 1 and he took it. Didn’t matter if he was 1 or 5 on the list. He said yes first.

I get the concept, they evaluate players and if they are willing to accept the commitment then it doesn’t matter to them if the player is 1 or 10 on their actual board. We won’t actually know because No coach is going to say player A was 5th on our board but we took him anyway.

That seems like a pretty broad range of 1-10, but it makes sense. And there are always those guys you find a ship for, regardless. GBR

That is logical, but could SF sometimes be seeing some things ahead of other coaches or websites' analysts, and offering, accordingly, earlier, before the kid's ratings go up?

Does a 2 star rating on some sites mean a kid just hasn't been analyzed yet by a website? I think it does mean that on some sites.

I don't know, just wondering and asking.

Last edited:
That is logical, but could SF sometimes be seeing some things ahead of other coaches or websites' analysts, and offering, accordingly, earlier, before the kid's ratings go up?

Does a 2 star rating on some sites mean a kid just hasn't been analyzed yet by a website? I think it does mean that on some sites.
Yes.

I don't know, just wondering and asking.

While it is possible, it is not that likely. You said he had a 2 so someone has looked at him, they may not have seen the development yet. Later on in the year, things come together and the rating goes up. That doesn't mean the services weren't on him. In this day with video being everywhere, even parents can put video up of their kid. Are there undiscovered kids? Sure, but not many - more undeveloped than unnoticed. You would be amazed at how video a low level HS coach sends out these days. It goes everywhere

Hey guys we appreciate the feedback, it's been great. Obviously this is a new podcast we are working on and we are looking for ideas to do for the upcoming season. Right now the plan is to breakdown the bigger games Oklahoma, FSU, Nebraska and maybe UGA play this year, plus breakdown the huge games like OSU-Mich, Auburn-Bama and so forth. If ya'll have any ideas to what will make it more informative and entertaining. We are considering doing a livestream for some games and breaking the games down as the game goes along, how we typically watch games. Any ideas will be appreciated and if ya'll think the livestream would be a good idea let me know.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT