ADVERTISEMENT

Breakdown of Jim Thorpe's (Thorson's) Big Runs

wxman42

Oct 8, 2012
When I watched the game live, initially I thought NU just had some major breakdowns which led to those two big plays and 10 points for Northwestern. However after I rewatched the game today some obvious non calls by the officiating crew certainly helped as well.

Here is the first big run. Notice there was clear Holding (Penalty #1) by a NWRN lineman on a NU Defensive lineman. However the official is looking at Thorson and not the lineman.

Play1.PNG

Penalty #1

On the same play one of the LB's is chasing the QB and gets blocked in the back (Penalty #2) by a different NWRN lineman.

Play1A.PNG

Penalty #2

It's amazing neither of these were called but that's nothing unusual for the Big Ten Crews.

The 2nd big run by Thorson was even worse as there were 4 different penalties on the same play. There was obvious holding on one of the NU Defensive Lineman with two of the officials looking right at for Penalty #1.

Play2.PNG

Penalty #1

Penalty #2 includes another hold on another NU Defensive Lineman with another official looking right at it.

Play2A.PNG

Penalty #2

Next as Jim Thorpe (I mean Thorson) is galloping down the field DB's favorite Safety whiffs on a tackle.

Play2B.PNG

Safety Whiffs

Meanwhile Penalty #3 occurs near NU's 32 yards line as a NWRN player clearly makes a block in the back on some NU player.

Play2C.PNG

Penalty #3

And finally Penalty #4 occurs further down the field as another NWRN player makes another block in the back on another NU player as Thorson eventually goes out of bounds.

Play2D.PNG

Penalty #4

These is no freaking excuse for an Officiating Crew to miss "4" penalties on one play but they pulled it off. I know officiating shouldn't be used as an excuse for a loss but these two plays led to 10 points for NWRN and clearly affected the outcome of the game.

In my opinion this officiating crew should be suspended as they were completely clueless not only on these two plays but others as well involving both teams. I know officiating can be difficult at times but good grief how can so many calls be missed.

Last edited:
Someone not using the officiating as an excuse, you sure are digging deep IMO... There is holding on about every play. How about the stupid 15 yd sideline interference call against NW??? How about the dumb pick six Turnover Tommy threw??? That was probably the refs fault too... ;)

Someone not using the officiating as an excuse, you sure are digging deep IMO... There is holding on about every play. How about the stupid 15 yd sideline interference call against NW??? How about the dumb pick six Turnover Tommy threw??? That was probably the refs fault too... ;)

Agreed. You can't blame the referees. Also on these plays you will see a ton of players that didn't make plays which caused the open running lanes.

I can see blaming the refs when it's a particular call that is pivotal in a game, but this wasn't the case here. The refs haven't been very good this year, I agree, but you can't blame the season or game performance on the refs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT