ADVERTISEMENT

Braxton Miller-Wide Receiver

I actually met the daughter of one of Ohio State's coaches. I tried to tell her that he was odd man out. She insisted that he would go into the fall as the #1. I was about to retort when I just told her to have a good day. We all have our opinions. Just that some prove right and others don't. Would love to have Braxton on our team.

Last edited:
He's not going to disappear with the athletic talent he possesses.

We will probably see some gnarly formations and plays involving Miller.
Plenty of talented wide receivers on that team and throughout D1 college football. He will be another good athlete playing a position that he hasnt mastered. Miller will make some plays because he is just a better athlete than most college football players, but if he wanted to be a Heisman candidate and lead a team, he shouldve transferred.

Interesting, as it would appear this could seriously derail his NFL potential as a QB.

I'm guessing he hasn't transferred from Ohio State because his throwing mechanics have been affected by the injuries. To me that seems the most likely reason why he wouldn't transfer, and would willingly shift to wide receiver. It isn't logical at all that a fully capable Braxton Miller wouldn't be a heavy lean to start at quarterback - that would be a total waste of experience and skill.

Plenty of talented wide receivers on that team and throughout D1 college football. He will be another good athlete playing a position that he hasnt mastered. Miller will make some plays because he is just a better athlete than most college football players, but if he wanted to be a Heisman candidate and lead a team, he shouldve transferred.
By all accounts, he hasn't even thrown a football yet. Torn labrum takes nearly a full year of healing/rehab before he could even start throwing. Nobody would have taken him as a QB.

I'm guessing he hasn't transferred from Ohio State because his throwing mechanics have been affected by the injuries. To me that seems the most likely reason why he wouldn't transfer, and would willingly shift to wide receiver. It isn't logical at all that a fully capable Braxton Miller wouldn't be a heavy lean to start at quarterback - that would be a total waste of experience and skill.
Wow. Hope he bought insurance before the injury...

Wow. Hope he bought insurance before the injury...
He was never ever an NFL caliber QB. His strength was putting pressure on defenses with his legs and then being able to sometimes hit a wide open guy because of that. Somebody might have taken him in the late rounds as a QB, but his upside is much greater as a wideout/pass catching tight end. He's a big dude with incredible athleticism. IMO, the wideout thing may have something to do with his shoulder. Otherwise he could be an incredible H-Back/tight end.

None of this is a surprise. I said way back (and it was just my opinion, not because of inside knowledge or even greater than average knowledge of football), that given his injury, given the delayed timeline of his decision making if he wanted to be healthy when he made the decision about switching schools or positions, given his relationship with the coaches, knowledge of the offense, and the surrounding players on the Buckeyes, the following would unfold:

He wouldn't be ready to start at QB in August and September. His athletic ability and speed would enable him to play other positions.

Later in the season Meyer won't make him the starter but would give him snaps at QB.

The H-back of receiver position would give NFL teams the chance draft him as an athlete. Regardless of whether miller started at QB or not, he wouldn't be a top 3 round draft pick as a QB. So this coming season it's not so important that he start every game as a QB, but has "moments" which can entice the pro's with his potential.

With the combination of receiving plays on film, plus the ability for him to serve as a back up QB who could play himself into something more, there is now a chance for him to be a top 3 round pick with QB still in the discussion.

Man, that offense was already stacked, now they find a way to get him on the field in addition to a potential All American QB.

I know in part due to loyalty from Meyer to Miller that he'll get touches. But it's not like there are a lot of touches to give. Ignoring that if Barrett is playin anytime at QB he will get some runs, and that Elliott will get his carries... You have 2 returning starters at H-Back in Jalin Marshall and Dontre Wilson (who got injured in the MSU game as the starter) last year's 2nd string freshman RB in Curtis Samuel,who Meyer moved to H-Back because he was too talented to not be on the field, and two redshirt freshman H-Backs who based on 40 yard times are faster than any of the H-Backs listed ahead of them.

A returning starter and expected big time star in Michael Thomas, and several receivers, such as Corrie Smith and Johnie Dixon, who as top recruits and freshman showed glimpses of big potential, a 6'5" transfer from Georgia Tech who had 25 catches there and 11 for OSU last year. THe goal for the coaches this year is to use him more in goal line situations. And finally a TE who is an All-Conference contender.

So yes, the Buckeyes are loaded, and many of the guys I mentioned are expected to play to some degree. THe flip side to that is a single player who is listed as receiver or H-Back, may have limited touches and thus limited opportunity to consistently impact the game.

As a team, it looks like a great problem to have, but it could potentially still be a problem.

If it was his choice to switch positions, I applaud him for not transferring and going after individual accomplishments. Nothing wrong with wanting to contribute to a potential national champion and putting the team ahead of himself.

Looks like I was spot on about Miller. He is an absolute non-factor in this game. :)

Kudos to you jteten for referring to your earlier post. There's nothing wrong with being incorrect in a prediction, as long as you hold yourself accountable for it.

Kudos to you jteten for referring to your earlier post. There's nothing wrong with being incorrect in a prediction, as long as you hold yourself accountable for it.
Hey, even Mike Trout strikes out from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT