ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl chances

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Yes, I know we have 2 wins. Who is thinking of a bowl? But lets just assume we win out and get to that 5 wins. We have a rabid fan base who follows this team religiously. Bowls want teams that will generate crowds and bring in money. Especially if we finish strong, get to that 5 wins. We could be an exciting team many across the country want to see.
I believe I saw somewhere there are 40 bowls so 80 spots available. As of right now there are 51 teams who are already bowl eligible. Leaving 29 spots left. There are 29 teams that have 5 wins and 18 that have 4 wins. 10 That have 3. Obviously not all of those 5 win teams will get to 6 and probably a few 4 win and 3 win teams will.
I know it is a long shot we make it, but if we finish strong. A 5 win Nebraska team is much more enticing to Bowls than most others. If they are short and need a 5 win team. I think we have a chance.

Yes, I know we have 2 wins. Who is thinking of a bowl? But lets just assume we win out and get to that 5 wins. We have a rabid fan base who follows this team religiously. Bowls want teams that will generate crowds and bring in money. Especially if we finish strong, get to that 5 wins. We could be an exciting team many across the country want to see.
I believe I saw somewhere there are 40 bowls so 80 spots available. As of right now there are 51 teams who are already bowl eligible. Leaving 29 spots left. There are 29 teams that have 5 wins and 18 that have 4 wins. 10 That have 3. Obviously not all of those 5 win teams will get to 6 and probably a few 4 win and 3 win teams will.
I know it is a long shot we make it, but if we finish strong. A 5 win Nebraska team is much more enticing to Bowls than most others. If they are short and need a 5 win team. I think we have a chance.
All about apr, so look at apr rankings and where Nebraska falls in line with possible 5-7 teams.

Reactions: husker2612
I just don’t like the idea that a team can have a losing record go to a bowl even if it’s Dear Old Nebraska U..

If we win out I’ll just enjoy that Iowa win all winter and spring more.

I just don’t like the idea that a team can have a losing record go to a bowl even if it’s Dear Old Nebraska U..

I’m not fine with it if it’s A coaches 3rd year.

But in a year you started 0-6, if you have a chance at 6-7, that’s a monumental stepping stone.

I get that, but I think it would be huge for our program to get the extra month of practice and gain some momentum by winning a Bowl Game on TV.

Reactions: Hoosker Du

I can agree with that, I think the extra practice, and momentum would be beneficial at this point.

We are tied at#28 in APR. I'd say we're sitting pretty good IF we WIN out. Lot of moving parts

Someone needs to cue up Jim Mora, “Playoffs? Playoffs!?!?!”

All about apr, so look at apr rankings and where Nebraska falls in line with possible 5-7 teams.
Looks like we are tied for 28th. From by quick figuring. It looks like there would be about 10 teams that would get in ahead of us based on APR at a 5-7 record.

Too many things have to go NU’s way in order for them to make a bowl game - so I think the odds are lonnggggggg.

And that’s unfortunate - especially for a young team that could benefit tremendously from the bowl practice and bowl game. Not to mention the nice reward for Seniors on the team - their last chance at a bowl.

If NU can finish 5-7 (a BIG ‘if’); we will all focus on the 5-1 finish to the season and brighter days ahead. But if you’re being honest, you will be watching bowl games over the holidays and will at various points lament NU letting the CU game get away; failing to show up against Troy; then the worst of all - blowing the NW game.

I can agree with that, I think the extra practice, and momentum would be beneficial at this point.

Of a course it would and I’m not saying different but we let a Colorado team convert on 3&24 with a lame pass interference call let a Troy team beat us on special teams and we didn’t have 2AM that day and blowing the NW game whether it was because of stupid penalties or not making a few plays on offense..

We should have 5 wins going in this week but we don’t so we’ll have earn that in the strength and conditioning over the winter and learn from our mishaps this season..

Of a course it would and I’m not saying different but we let a Colorado team convert on 3&24 with a lame pass interference call let a Troy team beat us on special teams and we didn’t have 2AM that day and blowing the NW game whether it was because of stupid penalties or not making a few plays on offense..

We should have 5 wins going in this week but we don’t so we’ll have earn that in the strength and conditioning over the winter and learn from our mishaps this season..
This is a complete different team from then to now.

Looks like we are tied for 28th. From by quick figuring. It looks like there would be about 10 teams that would get in ahead of us based on APR at a 5-7 record.
So I went through the list. Here goes.
Of the teams that we are tied with or above us, there are 15 that are already bowl eligible. 7 are at 5 wins but higher ranked than us and I expect 6 of them to get atleast one more win leaving 1 current 5 win team ahead of us. There are 2 ranked higher than us that have no mathematical possibility of getting to 5 wins. 3 that will probably get to 5 wins and 5 teams that probably won't get to 5 wins.

In conclusion, the way I see it right now, I think Air Force, Vanderbilt, Kansas State, and Maryland will be in front of us in the group of 5 win eligible for bowls if we run the table. A lot needs to happen over the next 3 weeks for it to be possible but that's my best guess right now

I’m not fine with it if it’s A coaches 3rd year.

But in a year you started 0-6, if you have a chance at 6-7, that’s a monumental stepping stone.
With a loss to Ohio State that we competed our ass off as the L. I hope that some of the people that were ripping this staff early are starting to see the plan unfold. I believe in this staff and would love to see them get a bowl for extra practices and development over the winter. The thing that was really encouraging is that you can see the kids starting to expect to win and not accepting moral victory. The future is as good as it has been here in a long, long time.

I know the extra practice time always bodes well for the team but personally I'd like to see AM finish this season unscathed, rest/heal up (is it me or does he seem half a gear slower than before that injury to his knee?) and come back next year all the way 100. Always a chance your marquee guys can go down on any given play but come on, how shitty would we all feel if we lost him just so we could play some bs bowl?

Are we allowed to start winter conditioning in December? I know we can’t practice “football”, but could we get an extra month in the strength and conditioning arena. We have quite a few kids that we have said “with another year in the S&C program....”

If we don't go to a bowl game, fellas can do work without being at official or sanctioned practices or conditioning, and coaches can hit the road without concern about preparing for a bowl game. Coaches can focus on the 5-1 finish and the game against tOSU in making their pitch to recruits.

Besides, if I am Morgan and a couple of seniors, I probably bow out of playing in a low-level bowl game and risking injury that keeps me out of combines or workouts for NFL teams -- or worse. So, we would go into the game without some key players, and we all know how thin we are at some of those spots. You risk losing the momentum gained over the last month of the season to what, go play in Boise, NYC or Detroit and possibly taking a loss. I think I'd be happy at 5-7 at that point and focus on recruiting and getting read to get a better start next year.

Nothing is preventing the players from getting better. Yes, the kids lose the instruction that comes with the bowl practices, but the weight room and other facilities are still there.

If we don't go to a bowl game, fellas can do work without being at official or sanctioned practices or conditioning, and coaches can hit the road without concern about preparing for a bowl game. Coaches can focus on the 5-1 finish and the game against tOSU in making their pitch to recruits.

Besides, if I am Morgan and a couple of seniors, I probably bow out of playing in a low-level bowl game and risking injury that keeps me out of combines or workouts for NFL teams -- or worse. So, we would go into the game without some key players, and we all know how thin we are at some of those spots. You risk losing the momentum gained over the last month of the season to what, go play in Boise, NYC or Detroit and possibly taking a loss. I think I'd be happy at 5-7 at that point and focus on recruiting and getting read to get a better start next year.
Yeah never thought of that. Hitting the recruiting trail hard, might out weight the extra practices.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
So I went through the list. Here goes.
Of the teams that we are tied with or above us, there are 15 that are already bowl eligible. 7 are at 5 wins but higher ranked than us and I expect 6 of them to get atleast one more win leaving 1 current 5 win team ahead of us. There are 2 ranked higher than us that have no mathematical possibility of getting to 5 wins. 3 that will probably get to 5 wins and 5 teams that probably won't get to 5 wins.

In conclusion, the way I see it right now, I think Air Force, Vanderbilt, Kansas State, and Maryland will be in front of us in the group of 5 win eligible for bowls if we run the table. A lot needs to happen over the next 3 weeks for it to be possible but that's my best guess right now
It's probably a longshot, but it's still too early to tell right now. First of all, we don't know how many spots will be open. There were 3 spots open in 2015, and Missouri was eligible based on APR, but declined an invitation, so the 4th highest eligible team got to go. So if that situation presented itself again, the chances don't look quite as daunting, because looking at those 4 teams' future schedules, I don't think all 4 end up with 5 wins(Maryland already has 5 wins and has a good shot to get its 6th this week). Of course it's far from a sure thing that we get to 5-7 too. There are way too many variables right now to know just how good our chances are-we will know more in a couple of weeks.

Eff that. If a player skips a game because they want to prepare for the NFL, I'd never invite them back. Being so afraid of getting injured that you don't even play is pathetic. Don't even know how you can call yourself a football player with that kind of attitude.

Well if we win out and Iowa loses 2 of their last 3 as I think they will definitely beat Illinois, the will tie with us at 4-5 which means they will finish behind us in conference standing as we'd have the win over them. so there's that! LOL

Last edited:
If Herky loses all 3, they most definitely finish behind us and if we don't get a bowl game, I think Seniors would find that a very satisfying way to go out!

Eff that. If a player skips a game because they want to prepare for the NFL, I'd never invite them back. Being so afraid of getting injured that you don't even play is pathetic. Don't even know how you can call yourself a football player with that kind of attitude.

I think Christian McCaffrey can call himself a football player......

Easy to say sitting at your computer. For guys like #8 who could cash a large check next summer, it isn't so cut and dry. And I guarantee you if the HCSF or UNL took that attitude it will be used against us on the recruiting trail. The 4 and 5 star guys are looking for a path to the NFL, not a Motor City Bowl Game. Caveat: I would feel a whole lot different about a guy choosing to sit out of a Playoff or Championship game.

There’s probably a better chance that Mike Riley will one day be our head coach than us going to a bowl game. The APR is not on our side like it was in 2015.
I was thinking that Jim Carrey would have a better chance of suddenly becoming a somewhat normal sane human being than NU going to a bowl after losing to OSU.

Win out and beat iowegia convincingly I tink yes

I was thinking that Jim Carrey would have a better chance of suddenly becoming a somewhat normal sane human being than NU going to a bowl after losing to OSU.
That guys has always been a bit nuts, but wow is to the point he should probably be locked up somewhere for his and others safety.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT