ADVERTISEMENT

Boom!

“Husker redshirt freshman safety Myles Farmer, had given him the inside scoop about the type of program he'd be joining.

"They have a lot of tradition that I've been hearing about," said Williams, who took particular stock in what Farmer told him. "They always tell me how they have each other's back, and how it's about family. It was a good second home for him, and he said I would like it. I really get that from Myles Farmer and just talking to Coach Frost a lot."

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...1_140751_NebraskaCornhuskers&utm_content=Link

I know people want to say Frost runs people the wrong way, but then I read things like this as well. Myles Farmer doesn’t hold back, praising the atmosphere at NU.

It gives me hope.

Welcome aboard Malik Williams and I love this. Buford is a solid Georgia High School that produces some decent to good power 5 talent and this could potentially open the doors for more recruits there. GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean Pope
Let's keep those Buford, Georgia kids coming in! This class is really stacking up to be a good group with high upside.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Let's keep those Buford, Georgia kids coming in! This class is really stacking up to be a good group with high upside.

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about this. We're landing plenty of talent that is in that mid-to-high 3 star range, with only a couple of stand-out 4 stars so far. I'm thinking, ok, that sounds like we'd maybe be under-powered against Ohio State, but I think that that might not be the point.

When I was at TD, I worked with a lot of stat guys who loved Nebraska football. I remember one guy who loved to crunch data on games and teams basically telling me "You're never going to beat Ohio State at recruiting. They sit on the most fertile 500-mile radius in the country, and they have boat-loads of trophies. What you want to do is recruit more specialized players for the system you want to run, because it's only through playing to your "system" advantages that you're ever going to beat a team like that."

I'm sincerely hoping that is what these coaches are doing. It looks that way, but you know, one always wonders.

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about this. We're landing plenty of talent that is in that mid-to-high 3 star range, with only a couple of stand-out 4 stars so far. I'm thinking, ok, that sounds like we'd maybe be under-powered against Ohio State, but I think that that might not be the point.

When I was at TD, I worked with a lot of stat guys who loved Nebraska football. I remember one guy who loved to crunch data on games and teams basically telling me "You're never going to beat Ohio State at recruiting. They sit on the most fertile 500-mile radius in the country, and they have boat-loads of trophies. What you want to do is recruit more specialized players for the system you want to run, because it's only through playing to your "system" advantages that you're ever going to beat a team like that."

I'm sincerely hoping that is what these coaches are doing. It looks that way, but you know, one always wonders.

So, to elaborate, I think for us that means big-bodied blockers, extremely fast runners, and coverage guys with long-ass arms and fast legs. The scheme should take care of the rest.

Kind of surprised many out of state kids would commit this early given what’s going on in the world, but I realize they may feel pressured to at least establish a “placeholder” commitment lest they miss out on their best offers.

This is the approach Frost is taking, following the Wisconsin model of redshirting freshman and building a roster that will stay old. To get it to where you want to be it takes 4-5 years which is what we’re going through right now.

Kind of surprised many out of state kids would commit this early given what’s going on in the world, but I realize they may feel pressured to at least establish a “placeholder” commitment lest they miss out on their best offers.
You think nebraska is a placeholder for this kid? I guess I disagree, considering his best friend is already a husker and another teammate is committed to Nebraska.

I kinda like This approach I hope. I mean 4 star kids and Nebraska has been a struggle. Ur right we are not going to out recruit Ohio st. Gotta recruit on par to better than division and recruit to scheme. My first hope is to win the division. Can’t do anything bigger than that until u can do that. 2 years in frost is 4-8 vs those teams.

I kinda like This approach I hope. I mean 4 star kids and Nebraska has been a struggle. Ur right we are not going to out recruit Ohio st. Gotta recruit on par to better than division and recruit to scheme. My first hope is to win the division. Can’t do anything bigger than that until u can do that. 2 years in frost is 4-8 vs those teams.

Yeah. Totally true. And I like what was said about the "Wisconsin Model." Which, in reality, is our old Nebraska model. Basically, unless you are a freakishly good kicker, you are not really on the field until you are at least a 3rd year Sophomore or Junior.

Also also, Wisconsin regularly makes it to the Big Ten Championship and sometimes wins it, though admittedly, their shortcomings start to become more obvious against Ohio State, which can go toe to toe with them physically but score points faster than they can. Then they head to a New Years 6 bowl and beat the snot out of whomever they play by grinding them into the ground.

Totally agree with the timeline, too. We are in year 3 of a 4-5 year rebuild. First, win the division and get to a New Years 6 bowl. Win a few of those over the years, so you can start attracting maybe 20% more of that 4 star talent you need to take down Ohio State in a championship if you play very, very well.

Yeah. Totally true. And I like what was said about the "Wisconsin Model." Which, in reality, is our old Nebraska model. Basically, unless you are a freakishly good kicker, you are not really on the field until you are at least a 3rd year Sophomore or Junior.

Some kids are too good to sit as freshman. You sit pretty much every lineman and linebacker, but skilled position guys often arrive on campus looking the part (ahem, Marvin Scott). It's a case by case decision. The key is for most of them is to understand the process they'll need to go through to add the size and physicality to play. They do well in 7 on 7 and other camps and think they're ready for prime time. Nope! Whole different animal.

Some kids are too good to sit as freshman. You sit pretty much every lineman and linebacker, but skilled position guys often arrive on campus looking the part (ahem, Marvin Scott). It's a case by case decision. The key is for most of them is to understand the process they'll need to go through to add the size and physicality to play. They do well in 7 on 7 and other camps and think they're ready for prime time. Nope! Whole different animal.

Yeah, fair point. That's what I meant by the kicker thing. A position that is skill-based and doesn't require you to basically be a fully grown man at the height of your muscle development can work if you are already most of the way there already, just, in general, your team should skew heavily towards older, more developed players. But if a WR or RB shows up ready to rock and roll, and absorbs the playbook quickly? Sure, have at it. Wandale Robinson is that kind of skill player.

ADVERTISEMENT