ADVERTISEMENT

Boom, #14 Georgia State beats #3 Baylor

I had given up...caught that it was 56-54 in the corner of the UCLA game...switched just in time to see the Georgia State 3 to win...NO WAY! Awesome.

That was an amazing rally - what a great run late in the game.

What a great last 3 min of that game for Georgia St. How proud of a dad/coach would you be right now of the way your son finished that game. That 3 will be replayed for many years to come

A little?
wink.r191677.gif

Bizarre ending to the SMU-UCLA game, on a really dumb defensive play. I have no idea why the SMU player reached for that ball, because the shot clearly was not going in. He basically handed Alford three points, and rewarded him for taking an absolutely horrible shot.

Seeing the play live I thought SMU got hosed. But watching the replay, I think the refs got it right.

I thought Baylor was a weak 3.

ISU really surprised me - looked like their heads where not in the game including arguing on the bench. Fast Freddie let it get away from him......

Originally posted by schuele:
Bizarre ending to the SMU-UCLA game, on a really dumb defensive play. I have no idea why the SMU player reached for that ball, because the shot clearly was not going in. He basically handed Alford three points, and rewarded him for taking an absolutely horrible shot.

Seeing the play live I thought SMU got hosed. But watching the replay, I think the refs got it right.
Agree. Correct call. Tough play. The rule states that until it is clear that the shot will be no good, touching of the ball is goal tending. It appeared that the ball may contact the rim if he had left it be. It's very easy to say that the ball was off target and that it would not have gone in, but the rule of thumb is that if it might contact the rim, then you have to let it go. Only when it is CLEARLY not close to the rim or below the rim is it correct to assume that the try will be no good. I've seen balls do some crazy things after hitting the rim, and even if there is .0001% chance the try will be good, it cannot be touched after it has passed it's peak.

Anyone see that blocked dunk the Maryland player had against one of the Valpo bigs? Got called a foul, but that was NASTY.

One other thing to add to that UCLA goaltending play: when you consider the tableside Trail official had primary responsibility for goaltending and BI on that shot, and you look at the angle he had, there is no way for him to know 100% how close to the rim the ball was - as in whether it would airball or was going to enter the basket - and he had to make a decision. He could see the ball still above the rim. If you don't call GT and it is indeed goaltending, there is no going back to correct it, and vice versa, as review is not allowed to look at judgement and you can only review two types of violations and only when under two mins left: who caused the ball to go out of bounds and shot clock violations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT