ADVERTISEMENT

Bookie officially decommits

Goes back to one of my posts "How did Riley even get hired by NU." I'm normally not at a loss for words, but I was kidding with my brother in law this morning and mentioned that if we loose this weekend to NW, Moos either comes out and says that Riley won't be retained at the end of the year or just go ahead and cut ties immediately and go get your coach whether its' Frost or not. If you hire the right coach, recruiting will take care of itself.

Shine, MR's biggest problem was/is the trajectory of the program, not so much in just wins and losses. Could he have changed that trajectory? I guess we'll never know......

IMO...we have such inconsistency between recruiting classes that we won’t see a consistent trajectory. We will have periods or even a season of success until the talent on the roster as a whole is upgraded. And that will likely take longer than anyone will want to wait. We played fairly well for a large part of last season until Armstrong went down. After that, the lack of depth hurt us via injury and just the grind of the season. This year...tons of new players. The upperclassmen on defense are on their third DC since they arrived on campus. It’s our first year truly running a pro style offense. Now if someone wants to argue the team looks poorly coached...fine. I’m not saying Riley needs to stay. But even if this team was well coached, we weren’t going to beat Wisc or Ohio state with those circumstances and talent deficiencies. I think we have some good young talent, but now with the coaching change (coupled with the tough schedules coming up)...it could be a rough few years no matter who the coach is. This will be a lost recruiting year. We had a lost recruiting year after Bo was fired as well. And if the coaching change includes offensive and defensive system changes, that will require even more time to look compentent.

Again, not here to argue we should keep Riley. But more that we can’t expect improvement every year and smooth transitions when we make two coaching changes at a program struggling to recruit at the highest level under the best of circumstances. We won’t get the top 5 recruiting classes needed to make a quick recovery like a Texas, Ohio state or even penn state. So whomever is hired should be given time and patience to really build the program, even if it isn’t pretty at times

IMO...we have such inconsistency between recruiting classes that we won’t see a consistent trajectory. We will have periods or even a season of success until the talent on the roster as a whole is upgraded. And that will likely take longer than anyone will want to wait. We played fairly well for a large part of last season until Armstrong went down. After that, the lack of depth hurt us via injury and just the grind of the season. This year...tons of new players. The upperclassmen on defense are on their third DC since they arrived on campus. It’s our first year truly running a pro style offense. Now if someone wants to argue the team looks poorly coached...fine. I’m not saying Riley needs to stay. But even if this team was well coached, we weren’t going to beat Wisc or Ohio state with those circumstances and talent deficiencies. I think we have some good young talent, but now with the coaching change (coupled with the tough schedules coming up)...it could be a rough few years no matter who the coach is. This will be a lost recruiting year. We had a lost recruiting year after Bo was fired as well. And if the coaching change includes offensive and defensive system changes, that will require even more time to look compentent.

Again, not here to argue we should keep Riley. But more that we can’t expect improvement every year and smooth transitions when we make two coaching changes at a program struggling to recruit at the highest level under the best of circumstances. We won’t get the top 5 recruiting classes needed to make a quick recovery like a Texas, Ohio state or even penn state. So whomever is hired should be given time and patience to really build the program, even if it isn’t pretty at times

Terrific post. I unliked it, just so I could like it again.

This is completely unsurprising. As things fall apart revision will be done at every turn to try and illustrate that Riley has been a failure at every step. It's what we do to our own. Scott Frost is next. We will love him until we hate him. Then we will eat him.
He hasnt been a failure at every turn just alot of them.

If so, then it better be someone with a long-term plan. Nothing about MR was long-term...age, no roots in NE, never really advancing a team/program, etc.

Goes back to one of my posts "How did Riley even get hired by NU." I'm normally not at a loss for words, but I was kidding with my brother in law this morning and mentioned that if we loose this weekend to NW, Moos either comes out and says that Riley won't be retained at the end of the year or just go ahead and cut ties immediately and go get your coach whether its' Frost or not. If you hire the right coach, recruiting will take care of itself.

How are you going to hire a coach mid-season? If you wait until the coach is done with their season, recruiting will not take care of itself. At least not this cycle.

How are you going to hire a coach mid-season? If you wait until the coach is done with their season, recruiting will not take care of itself. At least not this cycle.
Shhhhhhhhhh..... Let the children dream. If you don't it stunts their ability to learn how the real world works.

Reactions: HuskerDana
What division did we win? What championship game did we play in?

So Riley’s only chance to save his job, in your opinion, was to win the division? Even with a victory over Wisconsin, the division title was still not likely because there is no way there is enough talent on this staff and roster to beat 2 of the 3 big boys on the Big Ten schedule. We would have been hoping and wishing for Wisconsin to lose at home to Michigan. So as I said, the writing was on the wall when Eichorst was canned and the team lost to Northern Illinois. There was .0001% chance of Riley keeping his job. They should have just fired him at that point and been done.

So Riley’s only chance to save his job, in your opinion, was to win the division? Even with a victory over Wisconsin, the division title was still not likely because there is no way there is enough talent on this staff and roster to beat 2 of the 3 big boys on the Big Ten schedule. We would have been hoping and wishing for Wisconsin to lose at home to Michigan. So as I said, the writing was on the wall when Eichorst was canned and the team lost to Northern Illinois. There was .0001% chance of Riley keeping his job. They should have just fired him at that point and been done.
So are you saying that if we beat Wisconsin and win the division he doesn't keep his job?

There's nothing you can do about it. You don't control the decisions, do you? Why do you keep harping about this? What's done is done. The administration decided to keep Riley until the end of the year, and the one argument for keeping Riley in the form of having a solid recruiting class is also gone. Riley is most certainly gone after this year. Get over it.

He wasn’t going to beat Wisconsin and Penn St or Ohio St. That was the only path that guaranteed a division title. But keep using those Ivy League reading and comprehension skills.
And you knew after NIU that there is no way under God's green earth that Wisconsin would not lose another game besides ours even though, at that time, Michigan was rated ahead of them? Amazing how you are smarter than the writers and coaches.

There's nothing you can do about it. You don't control the decisions, do you? Why do you keep harping about this? What's done is done. The administration decided to keep Riley until the end of the year, and the one argument for keeping Riley in the form of having a solid recruiting class is also gone. Riley is most certainly gone after this year. Get over it.

You are making my point. The only reason to keep Riley after firing Eichorst was to maybe keep the recruiting class around long enough for the next coach to have a chance of retaining some of them. That is now out the door. So what exactly did keeping Riley accomplish, knowing he was gone at the end of the sesson? What was the benefit?

And you knew after NIU that there is no way under God's green earth that Wisconsin would not lose another game besides ours even though, at that time, Michigan was rated ahead of them? Amazing how you are smarter than the writers and coaches.

I tell you what I did know after the UNI game. I knew Nebraska wasn’t good enough to win the west.

Reactions: gw2kpro
You are making my point. The only reason to keep Riley after firing Eichorst was to maybe keep the recruiting class around long enough for the next coach to have a chance of retaining some of them. That is now out the door. So what exactly did keeping Riley accomplish, knowing he was gone at the end of the sesson? What was the benefit?
What good was firing Riley after the NIU game? It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Riley's gone, you have an assistant coach come in and there's two bad things that can happen. He pulls off a miracle run and is now gunning for the permanent position even though he's not qualified. Or the interim could turn it into an even bigger dumpster fire. There was no reason to get rid of Riley after the NIU game. I don't know why you keep arguing this. The administration made the decisions they made to keep Riley for now, and there's nothing you can do to change that.

What good was firing Riley after the NIU game? It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Riley's gone, you have an assistant coach come in and there's two bad things that can happen. He pulls off a miracle run and is now gunning for the permanent position even though he's not qualified. Or the interim could turn it into an even bigger dumpster fire. There was no reason to get rid of Riley after the NIU game. I don't know why you keep arguing this. The administration made the decisions they made to keep Riley for now, and there's nothing you can do to change that.

Because it is a topic. If you don’t want to read what I have to say use the ignore button.

You are worried about anyone on this staff turning this around? Please

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Because it is a topic. If you don’t want to read what I have to say use the ignore button.

You are worried about anyone on this staff turning this around? Please
As has been stated by Tuco Salamanca many times on this board, "There's no point in arguing about topics that you have no control over." So why is this same poster continuing to argue about a topic he has no control over?

Reactions: Bugeater
What good was firing Riley after the NIU game?

Look at Florida right now for the "good". They can openly recruit a head coach for next year, and that's what they're doing. They have served notice publicly that they have turned the page.

For example, Steve Spurrier is out there right now giving interviews that he has contacted Bob Stoops in order to gauge his interest in the position. Of course that's a pipe dream. But it's also advertisement that

1) The position is open. There is no ambiguity about it. The fans understand it. Nobody is debating any more that McElwain should be given 2 more years. Their boosters are officially on notice that they're bringing in someone new. Other college football coaches know 100% that someone new will be at UF next year.

2) They're aiming high.

If the administration has determined that we are going to have a new HC next year, it is a mistake for Riley to remain here.

What "good" is accomplished by keeping a lame duck coach here? Is it helping the present? is it building for the future? Is it helping with recruiting?

If the administration has determined that we're getting a new coach next year, I can't think of a logical reason for Riley to still be here unless they already have an agreement in principle with his replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mack In Motion
There was no reason to get rid of Riley after the NIU game.

We've had several folks argue here that firing Riley with Eichorst would give us a leg up on the Frost game.

I don't know that that's true, Frost does not appear likely to want to "wheel and deal" until he's completed his current focus coaching his team.

Me personally, it didn't bother me that they kept Riley around...an interim was not likely to do much better and it might have been possible to keep the class together until the very last second.

I think Tom's assertion is basically fool's gold. Sure if Riley would have won the division he would have saved his job, but even before the season started, most reasonable expectations across the country placed that out of reach owing to PSU/OSU on the schedule this year.

I think Tuco's point was...if the only thing that saved his job was a 0.1% chance...why bother. To which I'd generally agree.

We've had several folks argue here that firing Riley with Eichorst would give us a leg up on the Frost game.

I don't know that that's true, Frost does not appear likely to want to "wheel and deal" until he's completed his current focus coaching his team.

Me personally, it didn't bother me that they kept Riley around...an interim was not likely to do much better and it might have been possible to keep the class together until the very last second.

I think Tom's assertion is basically fool's gold. Sure if Riley would have won the division he would have saved his job, but even before the season started, most reasonable expectations across the country placed that out of reach owing to PSU/OSU on the schedule this year.

I think Tuco's point was...if the only thing that saved his job was a 0.1% chance...why bother. To which I'd generally agree.
A program that fired Solich and Pelini after winning 9 games is not going to fire a coach who won 9 games the year before in September and nor should they. What they did was the best they could do, they fired the idiot who hired him

Reactions: oldjar07
As has been stated by Tuco Salamanca many times on this board, "There's no point in arguing about topics that you have no control over." So why is this same poster continuing to argue about a topic he has no control over?
I thought that was Dubs who stated that - weird

I do think Bookie going to IMG hurt our chances, if you read his land of ten diaries, he never ever spoke of being 100% committed. I personally think being around some of his buddies worked against us. Some said he was our best peer recruiter, I think his peers recruited him way more than he recruited for us. If he was truly committed to Mike Riley, then I would think he would wait and see what happens at the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT