ADVERTISEMENT

Boilers open up a 3 point favorite

Just had a Sidetracks flashback. :D
latest

I think this game is very important for the rest of our season. It will also tell us a lot about the character of this team. This is a winnable game. And it is a must win game if we are to have any hope of turning this thing around and getting bowl eligible.

Win this game and it might just be the boost we need to get out of our funk.
Lose this game and we may only win two games this year.

I think this game is very important for the rest of our season. It will also tell us a lot about the character of this team. This is a winnable game. And it is a must win game if we are to have any hope of turning this thing around and getting bowl eligible.

Yep, a crossroads for sure. This could be the start of turning it around and gaining some confidence, or a continuation of the snowball. Big game for this season.

Lose this game and we may not win ANY games this year. Bethune Cookman is no joke.:oops:

Yep, a crossroads for sure. This could be the start of turning it around and gaining some confidence, or a continuation of the snowball. Big game for this season.
Given how this wretched season has started, this game is absolutely pivotal.
It all depends on what is going on in that locker room. While I love coach Frost and I am one million percent certain he will eventually turn us around, nevertheless, he may never have faced as a coach a situation where he is losing the team. Even if he is a great coach (and I think he is), he may not have faced this particular challenge before. You could hear the exasperation in his voice during his presser and he clearly expressed his belief that for some of these players, effort is lacking.

Personally, I have a bad feeling about our next game and about the rest of this season. I think many of the upperclassman aren’t willing to give the effort required. Most know they aren’t going pro. And most now know that this season isn’t going to be anything special after all. So they will just mail it in from here on out.

I hope I am wrong. Obviously. But I think the time has come to really start building for next year.

I agree, this is the turning point moment. However, I just don't see it turning around. Mentality is a very hard thing to overcome. Especially in 1 week. This has been a 3 year process to get to this point. It can't be fixed in a week. I think if we could have got that first W against Akron things would be way different. The players are already in the mode of last years quitter mentality. I don't know if they believe they can win any more.

I agree, this is the turning point moment. However, I just don't see it turning around. Mentality is a very hard thing to overcome. Especially in 1 week. This has been a 3 year process to get to this point. It can't be fixed in a week. I think if we could have got that first W against Akron things would be way different. The players are already in the mode of last years quitter mentality. I don't know if they believe they can win any more.
Agree

Given how this wretched season has started, this game is absolutely pivotal.
It all depends on what is going on in that locker room. While I love coach Frost and I am one million percent certain he will eventually turn us around, nevertheless, he may never have faced as a coach a situation where he is losing the team. Even if he is a great coach (and I think he is), he may not have faced this particular challenge before. You could hear the exasperation in his voice during his presser and he clearly expressed his belief that for some of these players, effort is lacking.

Personally, I have a bad feeling about our next game and about the rest of this season. I think many of the upperclassman aren’t willing to give the effort required. Most know they aren’t going pro. And most now know that this season isn’t going to be anything special after all. So they will just mail it in from here on out.

I hope I am wrong. Obviously. But I think the time has come to really start building for next year.

Pennsy, I have to completely disagree with some of the adjectives you used.

First, I cannot anoint Frost a "great coach." He has been a HC for only two going on three years. One doesn't gain "greatness" in that period of time even with the accolades he has obtained.

Second, I posted in another thread that building for next year has many of its own pitfalls. If you think this team is lost now, go and divide it between upper and lower class based on "we are building for next year." You send a signal that is hard to recover from going forward. What happened to everyone's battle cry of competition for each position and let the best man win?

Third, I know this is not popular and I have debated whether to even say this but I will now, and let the chips fall where they may. It is, after all, only MY opinion after reading some things and hearing some talk. Some things were said by Frost from the beginning that had not set well with some players and that includes some coaches they were very close to. It would appear to me that some relationships have been strained in this new regime change. Any way you slice this, Frost has to own it.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
feels like there are so many emotional and mental midgets on this team. I have little confidence in them. I want to see a team that looks like it is prepared.

Reactions: red scowl

First, I cannot anoint Frost a "great coach." He has been a HC for only two going on three years. One doesn't gain "greatness" in that period of time even with the accolades he has obtained.

Second, I posted in another thread that building for next year has many of its own pitfalls. If you think this team is lost now, go and divide it between upper and lower class based on "we are building for next year." You send a signal that is hard to recover from going forward. What happened to everyone's battle cry of competition for each position and let the best man win?

Third, I know this is not popular and I have debated whether to even say this but I will now, and let the chips fall where they may. It is, after all, only MY opinion after reading some things and hearing some talk. Some things were said by Frost from the beginning that had not set well with some players and that includes some coaches they were very close to. It would appear to me that some relationships have been strained in this new regime change. Any way you slice this, Frost has to own it.
If there are players who are disgruntled with Frost and are therefore giving less than their full effort, they should be benched. Period.
As for Frost making comments about previous coaches.... those coaches really sucked. They were awful. They were the worst coaching staff at NU in damn near 60 years. So while it may not have sat well with some players, whatever Frost said about those coaches was richly deserved.

It’s simple really. If you are such an emotional snowflake that you quit playing hard for your team, your program, and your university because the new coach dared to criticize your previous coaches, then you should be benched. Or better... you should have the balls to quit.

I think Frost is a great coach. You think the verdict is still out. Fine. Let’s have this debate again in three years.
Edit: Any player who is giving less than 100% because Frost criticized a previous coach, is obviously more emotionally attached to the previous coaches than the current ones. And you wonder why I think they should be benched? Addition by subtraction.

Last edited:

Your first point, I concur. Tou are a great coach after multiple seasons of championships.

Your second point doesn't matter. We evidently have a team divided. Frost needs to divide the wheat from the chaff. If peoples feelings are hurt, I say great. They are pussies. The world is a hard place. This season was already lost.

Your second and third points are similar. We don't need kids that wont work and don't care about winning. Our teams have had too many feelz. I don't care if Frost hurts some feelings. Good lord, be a man.

If there are players who are disgruntled with Frost and are therefore giving less than their full effort, they should be benched. Period.
As for Frost making comments about previous coaches.... those coaches really sucked. They were awful. They were the worst coaching staff at NU in damn near 60 years. So while it may not have sat well with some players, whatever Frost said about those coaches was richly deserved.

It’s simple really. If you are such an emotional snowflake that you quit playing hard for your team, your program, and your university because the new coach dared to criticize your previous coaches, then you should be benched. Or better... you should have the balls to quit.

I think Frost is a great coach. You think the verdict is still out. Fine. Let’s have this debate again in three years.
Edit: Any player who is giving less than 100% because Frost criticized a previous coach, is obviously more emotionally attached to the previous coaches than the current ones. And you wonder why I think they should be benched? Addition by subtraction.

You really need to stop with the man crush you have on Frost right now. A coach NEVER talks down on the previous staff anytime. Not only is it petty, it also gives the team a built in excuse for failure. That's a massive blunder by him, I don't care how great or pathetic the staff was, you worry about what you and your staff are doing. He needs to look in the mirror and man up, take the blame and move on.

Fine, it is easy to be holier than thou and show people the door, many up, what ever you want to call it. It doesn't matter to me. I read the crap on here and people dance ll around things and want it to be the way they think they see it. Reality is always perfect in our own heads.

The team has turned over at a major rate, probably faster than anyone could have imagined. So did that help? Ask yourself that? Is it better because of it?

The snowflake syndrome (your words not mine) was most likely gone in the purging that took place in the program. The other argument is that "we have the talent" to win. Well, if that is the case, then why aren't we winning? So it is easy to throw this all on the players while I don't hear anyone saying some coaches have some skin in the game. It is always the players quit, never had the buy in, weren't mentally strong, etc, etc. Isn't some of that the responsibility of the coaches?

There are some reasons for this pathetic display of football we have seen. I don't claim to know all of them, the dynamics in a situation like this are not usually simple and myopic. One thing seems hard to dodge, this team my actually be worse than last year's team. You know, the one you said was coached by the coaches who "really sucked." Certainly they weren't all stars, but they were men that had relationships with players as men.

I stand by my statement that Frost has not attained "great" status. That is reserved for the Osbornes, Sabans, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, and others. He is young and has plenty of time to earn the credentials that go along with the acclaim. I am not down on Frost at all, it would be interesting to hear him 20 years from now talk about this year of struggles that he and the program are not accustomed to.

You really need to stop with the man crush you have on Frost right now. A coach NEVER talks down on the previous staff anytime. Not only is it petty, it also gives the team a built in excuse for failure. That's a massive blunder by him, I don't care how great or pathetic the staff was, you worry about what you and your staff are doing. He needs to look in the mirror and man up, take the blame and move on.
This a billion times. Every word of it.

How is he not "taking the blame"?

If we lose to Purdue, I really am going to begin to worry about only winning 1 or 2 games this season. I've watched them play a couple times and they are not good. Outside of the freshman that is a stud, I was not impressed at all. I know they did beat BC this weekend, so maybe they have improved, but I just didn't see it in the games I saw.

Meh, Alphas talk shit. We need more Alphas and less feelings.

If we lose to Purdue, I really am going to begin to worry about only winning 1 or 2 games this season. I've watched them play a couple times and they are not good. Outside of the freshman that is a stud, I was not impressed at all. I know they did beat BC this weekend, so maybe they have improved, but I just didn't see it in the games I saw.

Do they still have the massive DT that gave us trouble the past few years? Hopefully that guy graduated.

Purdue is a better team than Minnesota. For the Huskers to be bowl eligible is razor thin.

The Huskers won't be bowl eligible this season.

Do they still have the massive DT that gave us trouble the past few years? Hopefully that guy graduated.
Neal still there. Wilson is gone. Robinson also gone. Pass rush been #1 weakness this yr due to youth. Hard to read the vast turnaround against BC just yet. They were a tailor made offense for our D at this pt. Our D coord pretty legit and appears to be making some adjustments including a more aggressive approach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT