ADVERTISEMENT

Boe Wilson to announce soon....

Yea! You are dead wrong. It's not even close to a Pelini class.

Just wait and see.

Yea! You are dead wrong. It's not even close to a Pelini class.

Just wait and see.

First you resolutely typed "You are dead wrong. It's not even close to a Pelini class," then you type "Just wait and see."

You suggest that Riley's class is currently far superior to a Pelini class, but yet you tell me to "Just wait and see."

It made for a good laugh. I'm hopeful things pick up with the overall talent level of the recruits...and soon.

Reactions: LBremser
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
First you resolutely typed "You are dead wrong. It's not even close to a Pelini class," then you type "Just wait and see."

You suggest that Riley's class is currently far superior to a Pelini class, but yet you tell me to "Just wait and see."

It made for a good laugh. I'm hopeful things pick up with the overall talent level of the recruits...and soon.
Which Pelini class had 4 ESPN top 300 players committed halfway through the recruiting season? Yeah, this is just like that... :rolleyes:

Your post made for a good laugh as well.

I believe he's implying for you to wait and see our current commits getting bumps in their rivals rankings.

Reactions: TheBeav815
The level of idiocracy in this very good topic, is mind blowing.

NU is in a good spot with Wilson. NU was his first big offer and NU wants him to play center. I think NU will get his verbal.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Which Pelini class had 4 ESPN top 300 players committed halfway through the recruiting season? Yeah, this is just like that... :rolleyes:

Your post made for a good laugh as well.

Remind me again when we've given ESPN props for being such outstanding recruiting analysts. That's what I thought. Regardless, I'll bet if you go back and check the numbers, you will most certainly find similar numbers for Pelini's classes.

Fact is...the first 12 commits are decent, but we still need to see better recruiting classes than Pelini had, and this class is looking eerily similar.

Remind me again when we've given ESPN props for being such outstanding recruiting analysts. That's what I thought. Regardless, I'll bet if you go back and check the numbers, you will most certainly find similar numbers for Pelini's classes.

Fact is...the first 12 commits are decent, but we still need to see better recruiting classes than Pelini had, and this class is looking eerily similar.
I get it… Rather than answering my question, cast doubt on ESPN. Nice!

The fact of the matter is, you will not find four top 300 recruits in a Pelini class. You may not like ESPN, but comparing apples to apples strictly using ESPN recruiting, Riley's class is already far better than any Pelini ever had after 12 recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815
It's one thing to say we need to recruit better. It's completely different to say this looks like a Pelini class. There is no comparison so far! You may make the case that we need to recruit even better than we are now, but you can't say this is looking like it's one thing to say we need to recruit better. It's completely different to say this looks like a Palini class. There is no comparison so far! You may make the case that we need to recruit even better than we are now, but you can't say this is looking like a Pelini class.

Reactions: HuskerO
Other than one of the QBs being a Pro Style QB, the offer lists look very similar to what we would see in a Pelini class. Actually Pelini's recruits may have overall had better offers. We need to improve in recruiting vs what Bo and his staff brought in, or our margin for error is going to be razor thin. Especially when going up against the East teams.

I'm tired of 9-win seasons. I do think Riley has a better collection of coaches overall, but I'm still not sold on Banker taking our defense to the next level. Actually I'm fairly concerned about that side of the ball.

I get it… Rather than answering my question, cast doubt on ESPN. Nice!

The fact of the matter is, you will not find four top 300 recruits in a Pelini class. You may not like ESPN, but comparing apples to apples strictly using ESPN recruiting, Riley's class is already far better than any Pelini ever had after 12 recruits.

ESPN doesn't need my help casting doubt on their analysis. They've proven over time that they aren't the best recruiting service. Again, since when did we make ESPN the authority?

I bet you would find many of Pelinis' recruits in Top 300 lists of the different services. This isn't meant to defend Pelini, because I think he and his staff should have done better at recruiting too. I just want to see better offer lists with our commits.

Other than one of the QBs being a Pro Style QB, the offer lists look very similar to what we would see in a Pelini class. Actually Pelini's recruits may have overall had better offers. We need to improve in recruiting vs what Bo and his staff brought in, or our margin for error is going to be razor thin. Especially when going up against the East teams.

I'm tired of 9-win seasons. I do think Riley has a better collection of coaches overall, but I'm still not sold on Banker taking our defense to the next level. Actually I'm fairly concerned about that side of the ball.
An offer list between the two coaches doesn't really tell us jack. What does tell us something is how interested those who have been offered really are. And in this stage of game with only 8 months in Riley is gauging much more interest to those 'highly rated' recruits than Bo ever was after 7 years.

An offer list between the two coaches doesn't really tell us jack. What does tell us something is how interested those who have been offered really are. And in this stage of game with only 8 months in Riley is gauging much more interest to those 'highly rated' recruits than Bo ever was after 7 years.

I'm saying the offers of the current committed players are similar to Pelini committed recruits. We'll see how things go during the 2nd half of the class, but I hope coach Riley and his staff aren't selling our program short.

I'm saying the offers of the current committed players are similar to Pelini committed recruits. We'll see how things go during the 2nd half of the class, but I hope coach Riley and his staff aren't selling our program short.

So within the last 48 hours or so, two recruiting analysts have been on 1620 saying that Riley has taken the opposite approach of Pelini in approaching big time talent...

and you want to say Riley is expressly aiming otherwise and selling us short?

We might do one better, wasn't it also this week that Riley was quoted something to the effect of "when I got here we were the 30th ranked class, we need to do better than that. and the championship teams usually have the good recruiting classes".

Reactions: Husk10
I'm with the whole 4 in the Top 300 train (anyone's 300, Pelini didn't make it in anyone's). That didn't happen under Pelini. Kids didn't flip from Miami to Nebraska in the span of 30 days, kids didn't turn down UT with the excitement of a Charlie Strong.

When you look at that number 1 class that BC had, there were a few head turners in there, Suh was a big get, Lucky was a big get with a lot of hype, so was Beck. But you had a lot of guys that were "run of the mill" three and four star players. Nebraska isn't about to go Daniel Snyder and field a team of HS Parade All Americans.

Arguably we were close enough. If Pelini had been a better coach, we were close at least twice to winning a conference title. And his most important recruits were some of the least heralded. Abdullah a three star, Maliek Collins was unrated and moved to a three star at the lastminute I believe, and Leroy Alexander was a two star with an offer from like Toledo.

I'm not saying we don't need talent, we need lots of it, but we're not going to be filling the two deeps with 5* players on the other extreme.

Last edited:
Gonna be a little long, but here goes...

Alexander - ASU, Miami, Michigan, ND, Ole Miss, Pitt, VaTech, Wiscy
Brokop - ASU, Auburn, Cal
Dismuke - ASU, Cal, Michigan, Mississippi State
Domann - ASU, Cal, K State, Virginia
Johnson - Juco, no impressive offers
O'Brien - Colorado, CSU, Elite 11 Candidate who continues to climb the board
Raridon - Oregon, OU, Arkansas, K State, Wiscy, Mizzou, Stanford
Simmons - Cincy, L'ville, Maryland, Miami, NC State
Stille - Iowa, ISU
Stoll - Colorado, CSU, Texas
Thomas - CSU, Kansas
Wilson - ASU, Colorado, Oregon, Texas Tech, Houston, Arkansas

In this group there are some with very light offers. Stille is a nebraska kid, Thomas will be a first year starter, and Johnson is a Juco coming in to provide immediate help in a position of need.

The rest of them have some big name schools offering them. So what is the problem? Upset that none of them have Alabama or Ohio State offering them? What's wrong with the list of schools that have offered these players? And is your alter ego on those sites lamenting the lack of perceived big name schools offered to their recruits? I guess I don't see what's wrong with the programs who have offered the players we have offered, and I don't consider them to be lightweights.

And to your point about the defense, there is no possible way Banker is not a major improvement over Bo. Not saying you would rather have Bo, I get it that you don't think Banker is the guy, but until McBride recruited speed, he wasn't the guy either. Give Banker a chance... You might be surprised.

Reactions: baseball31ne
When was the last time Pelini had this many recruits committed before school started?

So within the last 48 hours or so, two recruiting analysts have been on 1620 saying that Riley has taken the opposite approach of Pelini in approaching big time talent...

and you want to say Riley is expressly aiming otherwise and selling us short?

No, I'm saying the level of talent that we have committed is very similar to what Pelini brought in. It would appear that Riley and his staff are setting us better for the long-term. Just not seeing the kind of results I would like to see in the short term. Does that mean that Riley isn't aiming high enough? I don't know, but we all know that we need better talent infused into this program than what we had under Pelini. Just haven't seen a dramatic difference yet. Hopefully we will.

When was the last time Pelini had this many recruits committed before school started?

Who gives a crap about "numbers" early in the recruiting year? I want to see better talent lined up to sign in February.

Our best selling point has always been game days in Lincoln. I hope that Riley isn't signing so many early that we aren't using our best asset in the fall.

I'm not panicking. I just want to see better classes come signing day.

These two QBs alone put it ahead of most Pelini classes IMO.

Hoosker Du, everybody, and I mean everybody, else in this thread can see a tremendous difference between Riley and Pelini. Why can't you see this? You are resolutely holding to your original statement in spite of overwhelming support and evidence that suggests Riley is nothing like Pelini, in a good way, I might add.

I feel sorry for you.

Who gives a crap about "numbers" early in the recruiting year? I want to see better talent lined up to sign in February.

Our best selling point has always been game days in Lincoln. I hope that Riley isn't signing so many early that we aren't using our best asset in the fall.

I'm not panicking. I just want to see better classes come signing day.

Riley hasn't signed anyone yet. My guess is you will see higher rated players in on visits this fall. The question as far as this class vs. Bo's will play out as ratings get shuffled around.

To a large degree, I agree with you. Hopefully the difference shows in the fall when visits get going. Bo's big problem was fizzling out around this time every year. The bases of the clases are similar in talent, but we havent been devoid of talent under Bo (not as talented as Bama, tOSU).

The fall is huge, can Riley build on the solid base with the next 10 to 16 commits? We will see. Hopefully superior organization pays off.

"Gosh I hate always being right." -Jeff Goldblum

I don't see a significant difference in quality of offers from those players below vs our current class. Maybe a few here and there, but generally we're talking about the same quality of players. Actually, in terms of a number value, Bo had better ranked players onboard than Riley after the first 12 Commitments. That doesn't necessarily guarantee that Riley and his staff will end up with a lower rated class than Bo's first class, but what started this whole uproar was that I said I didn't see much difference in the offers of Pelini's recruits vs Riley's. And that IS pretty much the case.

What IS particularly surprising to me is that Pelini ended up with 9 4-star players in his first class (mostly assembled by Callahan's staff). If Bo and his staff could keep those players committed after the train wreck that was the 2007 season, we should expect 8-10 4-star players in each class.

I think some of you think that I'm a Bo supporter, which couldn't be any further from being the case. I don't hate Bo Pelini, but I hatred having him as our coach the last 2 1/2 years of his tenure. That's why I am expecting better things from Riley in terms of recruiting and W-L record.

Here are the first 12 commits by Bo in his 2nd signing class, which would be the equivalent class to the current class Riley and staff are working on...

Baker Steinkuhler - ***** - 9-3-06 - Won't count him. Committed to Callahan, but Bo and his staff kept him committed for about a year and a half.

Collins Okafor - *** (5.7). Won't count. Also committed to Callahan. Bo and staff kept his commitment for app. 16 months.
------------------
David Whittimore - **** (5.8) - First actual commitment to 2008 class to Pelini. K-State, Missouri, Okie State

Sean Fischer - *** (5.7) - Arizona St., Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Iowa St., Oklahoma, Wisconsin

John Leverson - *** (5.5) - Ohio, Wyoming

Tyson Hetzer - *** (5.6) - Arizona St., K-State, Louisville, Utah St.

Ricky Henry - *** (5.5) - Colorado, Houston

Cameron Meredith - *** (5.7) - Arizona, Arizona St., Boise St., Colorado, Oklahoma, Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, Washington St.

Kyler Reed - *** (5.6) - Colorado, Colorado St., Iowa St., Kansas, K-State, Missouri, Northwestern

Brandon Thompson - *** (5.5) - Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma St., Purdue, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Virginia

Ben Cotton - *** (5.7) - Iowa, Iowa St., Kansas, Louisville, Wisconsin

Will Compton - **** (5.8) - Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St., Missouri, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt

Kody Spano - *** (5.7) - #9 Dual-Threat QB in the nation. Okie St, TCU, Tulsa

Josh Williams - *** (5.7) - Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Totals - First 12 Commitments (2008 Class)
*** (5.7) - 5
*** (5.6) - 2
*** (5.5) - 3
** NONE

Totals - First 12 Commitments (2016 Class)
*** (5.7) - 3
*** (5.6) - 4
*** (5.5) - 2

Last edited:
Riley hasn't signed anyone yet. My guess is you will see higher rated players in on visits this fall. The question as far as this class vs. Bo's will play out as ratings get shuffled around.

To a large degree, I agree with you. Hopefully the difference shows in the fall when visits get going. Bo's big problem was fizzling out around this time every year. The bases of the clases are similar in talent, but we havent been devoid of talent under Bo (not as talented as Bama, tOSU).

The fall is huge, can Riley build on the solid base with the next 10 to 16 commits? We will see. Hopefully superior organization pays off.

Spot on. I'm hopeful Riley's approach will pay bigger dividends on signing day, as will his staff's continued work during the summer, which is where the last staff chose to lounge around the pool and work on their golf game. I'm also much more hopeful that his staff's approach will pay off much more in future classes. We just haven't seen the difference between the two staff's committed players' quality yet.

So the main difference, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that I kind of think Riley will continue to recruit and have an upward trajectory moving forward, and you worry that this might be as good as it gets, and we need better than this to compete with the big dogs... Is that fair enough?

My apologies now for previous comments. We obviously are looking at this from different sides, but both want the same thing. I see the recruiting and am energized by it... I suppose not everyone feels the same way. I'm generally optimistic and so it's hard for me to understand why others aren't feeling the same way I do. We will find out soon enough...

Spot on. I'm hopeful Riley's approach will pay bigger dividends on signing day, as will his staff's continued work during the summer, which is where the last staff chose to lounge around the pool and work on their golf game. I'm also much more hopeful that his staff's approach will pay off much more in future classes. We just haven't seen the difference between the two staff's committed players' quality yet.

The critical area for improvement is signing full classes of quality talent top to bottom. Hopefully the top gets a little higher in terms of the quality of player.

Reactions: Hoosker Du

I don't see a significant difference in quality of offers from those players below vs our current class. Maybe a few here and there, but generally we're talking about the same quality of players. Actually, in terms of a number value, Bo had better ranked players onboard than Riley after the first 12 Commitments. That doesn't necessarily guarantee that Riley and his staff will end up with a lower rated class than Bo's first class, but what started this whole uproar was that I said I didn't see much difference in the offers of Pelini's recruits vs Riley's. And that IS pretty much the case.

What IS particularly surprising to me is that Pelini ended up with 9 4-star players in his first class (mostly assembled by Callahan's staff). If Bo and his staff could keep those players committed after the train wreck that was the 2007 season, we should expect 8-10 4-star players in each class.

I think some of you think that I'm a Bo supporter, which couldn't be any further from being the case. I don't hate Bo Pelini, but I hatred having him as our coach the last 2 1/2 years of his tenure. That's why I am expecting better things from Riley in terms of recruiting and W-L record.

Here are the first 12 commits by Bo in his 2nd signing class, which would be the equivalent class to the current class Riley and staff are working on...

Baker Steinkuhler - ***** - 9-3-06 - Won't count him. Committed to Callahan, but Bo and his staff kept him committed for about a year and a half.

Collins Okafor - *** (5.7). Won't count. Also committed to Callahan. Bo and staff kept his commitment for app. 16 months.
------------------
David Whittimore - **** (5.8) - First actual commitment to 2008 class to Pelini. K-State, Missouri, Okie State

Sean Fischer - *** (5.7) - Arizona St., Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Iowa St., Oklahoma, Wisconsin

Cameron Meredith - *** (5.7) - Arizona, Arizona St., Boise St., Colorado, Oklahoma, Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, Washington St.

Kyler Reed - *** (5.6) - Colorado, Colorado St., Iowa St., Kansas, K-State, Missouri, Northwestern

Brandon Thompson - *** (5.5) - Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma St., Purdue, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Virginia

Will Compton - **** (5.8) - Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St., Missouri, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt

Josh Williams - *** (5.7) - Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

*** (5.7) - 5
*** (5.6) - 2
*** (5.5) - 3
** NONE

*** (5.7) - 3
*** (5.6) - 4
*** (5.5) - 2
Recruiting classes most likely will rise as Riley proves he can do a better job of coaching the players than Bo did. Bo recruited just well enough talent wise for us to have won the Big West the last couple years but he was out-coached. So IMO we need to focus on the coaching first a bit more and the recruiting improvements will folllow. I fully didnt expect at all for Rileys first couple of classes to look much different than Bo's last couple on paper. Improved coaching and roster management should at least get us on a Michigan State level imo, and like them, more recruiting doors will open. We are a blueblood, but still fighting national perception of a paper tiger after years of big game blow out losses. It'll come. At least this is a ride you can enjoy if you let yourself.

Du's post seems to hint that the order of commitment matters. If Riley had three 5 stars committed now vs signing day, then his comparison of the first 12 would be laughably bad. But we don't really control the order in which kids commit, that #1 LB may yet choose us, but it might be a signing day thing. So who knows what we end up. Me personally, I think its foolish to compare June lists, February ones are the ones that matter.

I have to stand by my assertion above, we're probably not going to be filling the two deeps with super high end, 5 star across the board talent. I think the things that are positive are to this point we have 4 in someone notable's top 300, which hasn't happened around here in awhile (and in BC's stellar class is the total that we had I believe over 28 ish recruits, not 12) so we may yet pile more on. We're making in roads with high visibility talent (Keyshawn Jr and posse, the #1LB etc) which didn't really seem to be happening, and we're finding guys first who are now making their way up the charts (the QB's, the RB, etc).

All are positive signs that this staff knows how to find and woo talent.

------------------

*** (5.7) - 5
*** (5.6) - 2
*** (5.5) - 3
** NONE

*** (5.7) - 3
*** (5.6) - 4
*** (5.5) - 2

Cant accurately compare the first 12 in June to Pelinis in February after all the rankings were updated. We know POB will move to 4*, I dont think Rivals will move Wilson to a 4* but possibly 5.7-3*. Thomas will climb after a big sr. Year...I hope anyway.... but as far as just stars go I would say it's similar to a pelini class, but has the potential to be a lot better. Pelini didnt make thefinal cuts on as many big time players like Riley n Co. Are. We may strike out though and end up eerily similar to pelini class. That will be worrisome but entirely to early to tell

Reactions: HuskerO
So the main difference, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that I kind of think Riley will continue to recruit and have an upward trajectory moving forward, and you worry that this might be as good as it gets, and we need better than this to compete with the big dogs... Is that fair enough?

My apologies now for previous comments. We obviously are looking at this from different sides, but both want the same thing. I see the recruiting and am energized by it... I suppose not everyone feels the same way. I'm generally optimistic and so it's hard for me to understand why others aren't feeling the same way I do. We will find out soon enough...

How about I use the phrase "Not getting out of the gate as well as I would have liked." I would have liked to see us get more players with numerous high profile schools offering. I'm not questioning how Riley and staff are going about recruiting as much as I am the early results. That's why I wonder if we aren't maybe being selective enough with the players we are offering. Tons of offers have gone out.

I think any coach at this school should be able to get 8-10 4-star type kids in the fray by February. That would include multiple offers from high profile programs. They don't have to be 4-stars, but have a 4-star level of offers. You know the type of player I am talking about. The player where you look at his offer list and say "Wow, this kid is a player. We got a good one here."

I don't think any reasonable person could have asked for much more than what's happening right now in regards to recruiting. Is it Alabama's class? No, is it better than a Pelini class so far? Sure feels like it to me. What will the future hold? IDK, but I sure feel like we are in much better hands on every level going forward.

Cant accurately compare the first 12 in June to Pelinis in February after all the rankings were updated. We know POB will move to 4*, I dont think Rivals will move Wilson to a 4* but possibly 5.7-3*. Thomas will climb after a big sr. Year...I hope anyway.... but as far as just stars go I would say it's similar to a pelini class, but has the potential to be a lot better. Pelini didnt make thefinal cuts on as many big time players like Riley n Co. Are. We may strike out though and end up eerily similar to pelini class. That will be worrisome but entirely to early to tell

Sure you can compare the two. Player rankings can go down as easily as up. The number of players in the Top 100 and Top 250 will always remain the same. If some players move up, others have to move down and vice-versa. If Riley and staff are good evaluators of talent, then we will benefit. We will see.

Recruiting classes most likely will rise as Riley proves he can do a better job of coaching the players than Bo did. Bo recruited just well enough talent wise for us to have won the Big West the last couple years but he was out-coached. So IMO we need to focus on the coaching first a bit more and the recruiting improvements will folllow. I fully didnt expect at all for Rileys first couple of classes to look much different than Bo's last couple on paper. Improved coaching and roster management should at least get us on a Michigan State level imo, and like them, more recruiting doors will open. We are a blueblood, but still fighting national perception of a paper tiger after years of big game blow out losses. It'll come. At least this is a ride you can enjoy if you let yourself.

This ^^. One million times, this ^^. No one can convince me Melvin Gordon (who just scored, again) and Wisconsin had a superior talent level last year to Nebraska. Those offensive play calls weren't reinventions of the wheel. Disparage Bo's recruiting all you want, but talent isn't what made us lose the West Division last year.

ADVERTISEMENT