ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have a couple good players there. Karla Fitz is a good player and Neal is back for his Sr year. He may be able to play they NT, which is vital in the 3-4.
Yep. Need a big mamba jamba at NT and build from there

So over/under on next years game will be what.....82? Diaco vs Chinander. Sick

Chin has shown progress and this will be his 3rd year here. Having constancy in systems and recruiting should start paying off. For once in over 5 years our team will have the same DC in 3 straight seasons. I think we underestimated how important and big that is. I expect to see our defense even more so improved next year, Then is been the past 4 years.

Yes they'll be learning a new system but I think Purdue probably has more to work with than diaco did here
Debatable. I'm not a fan of Banker by any means but he would have done way better with what he had to work with than Diaco did. It's one thing to change systems, its entirely different to force that change on everybody and then act like everybody is stupid because they dont get it. DW was ready to walk away by October. Players were being ignored, staff was being treated like 2nd class citizens. The dude was a total jerk and deserves every bit of criticism he receives.

Reactions: headcard
Debatable. I'm not a fan of Banker by any means but he would have done way better with what he had to work with than Diaco did. It's one thing to change systems, its entirely different to force that change on everybody and then act like everybody is stupid because they dont get it. DW was ready to walk away by October. Players were being ignored, staff was being treated like 2nd class citizens. The dude was a total jerk and deserves every bit of criticism he receives.
DW?

He’s got to be talking about Donte Williams. Dudes landed the Ducks two 5 star LBs, a 4 star LB and another high 3 star LB this year too. He’s still lights out in recruiting. Doesn’t list his name but he’s involved in their recruiting because DW is LB Coach...

Last edited:
They have a couple good players there. Karla Fitz is a good player and Neal is back for his Sr year. He may be able to play they NT, which is vital in the 3-4.
Not sure who Karla Fitz is, but the Dline will be the best part of their line. They have one of the best DE's in the big ten in George Karlaftis, who will only get better by not being a true freshman and now having played more than 2 years of football. Lorenzo Neal is back and he is really good. Anthony Watts is good at DT. Their other DE last year was a converted LB that played undersized. My guess is he moves to a LEO sort of position. They have some promising backups as well, including a freshman DT that started this past year. Redshirted a 4 star DT and a high 3 star DE and have a 4 star DE coming in.

Not sure who Karla Fitz is, but the Dline will be the best part of their line. They have one of the best DE's in the big ten in George Karlaftis, who will only get better by not being a true freshman and now having played more than 2 years of football. Lorenzo Neal is back and he is really good. Anthony Watts is good at DT. Their other DE last year was a converted LB that played undersized. My guess is he moves to a LEO sort of position. They have some promising backups as well, including a freshman DT that started this past year. Redshirted a 4 star DT and a high 3 star DE and have a 4 star DE coming in.

You will greatly enjoy each and every interview.

It was autocorrected Karlaftis. But something tells me you knew that and just chose to be a dick.

He was let go/left. No one is 100% for sure. I know he was bad at Nebraska, but seems to have been good everywhere else. Is it ok to be cautiously optimistic?

As long as he doesn't give 15 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 vs Wisconsin, it will be ok. Right? Dline should be good next year.
He is the epitome of the phrase "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"

Did Purdue run a 3-4 defense last year???

edited: found it myself. They ran a 4-3 defense. Means Purdue is going to changing their defense completely around...us Huskers know what that’s like. Will take time...
Agree. Not always an easy transition. Got to have the right personnel for 3-4. New scheme, terminology, etc. Given time Diaco could do well. Purdue has done well against us the last two years and we’re not good enough to look past anyone. Next year is just one more step in getting better.

Reactions: huskerssalts
He might end up doing fine at Purdue with time, but I gotta say I feel a whole hell of a lot better going into our game next year. I wasn’t impressed with Bobby D at all and switching to the 3-4 is not as easy as some might think.

He might end up doing fine at Purdue with time, but I gotta say I feel a whole hell of a lot better going into our game next year. I wasn’t impressed with Bobby D at all and switching to the 3-4 is not as easy as some might think.

And that’s just it. We will be playing our 3rd straight year in this offense and defensive schemes and Purdue will be breaking in a brand new scheme and catching them the very first game. That makes huge difference because usually teams have a chance to break in their systems, see how players do and who struggles and then make adjustments and see what works and doesn’t work and make more adjustments by the time they play games like this against us. I love our chances against Purdue playing them in game 1 of the season for both teams.

It was autocorrected Karlaftis. But something tells me you knew that and just chose to be a dick.
I actually didn't. Never seen that auto correct of his name. Wouldn't have guessed it either. I can see it now though. Lol

I actually didn't. Never seen that auto correct of his name. Wouldn't have guessed it either. I can see it now though. Lol

then you definitely don’t know your team very well do you? I even figured it out myself and I don’t follow Purdue football at all. And I definitely wouldn’t go as far calling him as one of the best DEs when there’s the likes of C Young OSU, AJ Epenesa Iowa, K Willekes MSU, Yueter Gross-Matos PSU and Cater Coughlin Minn in the BIG 10. Even the Husker Khalil Davis (8 sacks) has more sacks then G Karlaftis (7.5 sacks)...just saying. But could be at some point, he is a young guy now. But he’s no where near one of the best DEs at the moment.

Last edited:
then you definitely don’t know your team very well do you? I even figured it out myself and I don’t follow Purdue football at all. And I definitely wouldn’t go as far calling him as one of the best DEs when there’s the likes of C Young OSU, AJ Epenesa Iowa, K Willekes MSU, Yueter Gross-Matos PSU and Cater Coughlin Minn in the BIG 10. Even the Husker Khalil Davis (8 sacks) has more sacks then G Karlaftis (7.5 sacks)...just saying. But could be at some point, he is a young guy now. But he’s no where near one of the best DEs at the moment.
11th in sacks, 4th in tfl, 1 interception, and 2 fumble recoveries. In his 3rd season playing football as a true freshman seeing a lot of double teams because he was the best DLman on the team since Neal was out. But if you only want to look at sacks, go ahead.

Diaco was not going to be successful at NU with only 1 year.
He had the fun of switching to a 3-4. Something EC really got lucky with. I don’t get the absolute negativity toward Bob D. He was actually very great in his last interview at NU when he knew it was over. He gave high complements to our fan base and I don’t even remember “blaming others”. He actually took blame when we lost to Iowa. Said a fan base full for a team with a losing record deserved better.

The Twitter announcement listed a #2 Red Zone D and #31 scoring D. I am sure that doesn't tell the entire story and Miami isn't the Miami of yesteryear but they did shut them out, wonder how our D would have done?

I mean he joined a bad situation with Riley at Nebraska. What head coaches have been successful at UConn lol?

It was Randy Edsell pre-Maryland. His return hasn't striked oil, like when he took the program into FBS.

2003 Connecticut 9–3
Connecticut Huskies (Big East Conference) (2004–2011)
2004 Connecticut 8–4 3–3 T–5th W Motor City
2005 Connecticut 5–6 2–5 T–6th
2006 Connecticut 4–8 1–6 T–7th
2007 Connecticut 9–4 5–2 T–1st L Meineke Car Care
2008 Connecticut 8–5 3–4 5th W International
2009 Connecticut 8–5 3–4 T–4th W PapaJohns.com
2010 Connecticut 8–5 5–2 T–1st L Fiesta

It will be interesting to see how Purdue's defense goes under Bob Diaco, who had a nice rise at Notre Dame as DC, but not always successful.

Yeah, I have to give Diaco an 'Incomplete' for his time here. He didn't have enough time here to properly judge his body of work.
SE made Riley fire his buddy and hire Diaco. Diaco comes here to transition a not very talented 4-3 into a 3-4 with pretty much all of his assistants being 4-3 guys. And the one assistant who would have been a big help to him died before the season even started.
Also, every one and their dog knew Riley was getting fired after SE got fired. It's no big surprise the players checked out.
Maybe he would have sucked anyway, but he did have the #1 defense with Notre Dame and you need more than just talent to pull that off.

I'm interested in seeing how it goes for him at Purdue. He will need a few years to transition that defense. And although everyone says Brohm is a great coach, his W/L record over these three years is 7-6, 6-7 and 4-8. I know there are reasons for that, but if they continue to struggle making .500 while transitioning this defense, he may regret this move.

Remember this bad boy

17691571.png

17756866.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to give Diaco an 'Incomplete' for his time here. He didn't have enough time here to properly judge his body of work.
SE made Riley fire his buddy and hire Diaco. Diaco comes here to transition a not very talented 4-3 into a 3-4 with pretty much all of his assistants being 4-3 guys. And the one assistant who would have been a big help to him died before the season even started.
Also, every one and their dog knew Riley was getting fired after SE got fired. It's no big surprise the players checked out.
Maybe he would have sucked anyway, but he did have the #1 defense with Notre Dame and you need more than just talent to pull that off.

I'm interested in seeing how it goes for him at Purdue. He will need a few years to transition that defense. And although everyone says Brohm is a great coach, his W/L record over these three years is 7-6, 6-7 and 4-8. I know there are reasons for that, but if they continue to struggle making .500 while transitioning this defense, he may regret this move.
I don't think the struggle will be as bad as you make it sound. Purdue has some real talent on that defense, it's just young. And honestly, might be better off playing a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. They started a LB at DE this last year anyways.

I don't think the struggle will be as bad as you make it sound. Purdue has some real talent on that defense, it's just young. And honestly, might be better off playing a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3. They started a LB at DE this last year anyways.
Ha ha. Thanks for the laugh.

He was let go/left. No one is 100% for sure. I know he was bad at Nebraska, but seems to have been good everywhere else. Is it ok to be cautiously optimistic?

As long as he doesn't give 15 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 vs Wisconsin, it will be ok. Right? Dline should be good next year.
I think he's actually a bit certifiable. He really borderlines on the side of cuckoo, and you will know it soon enough. Have the office staff make some cupcakes for the defensive players for the holidays and wait to see what happens. Heck, just pull up a YouTube vid of him ranting for awhile.. sorry, but the only good thing to say about him is he will always have nice hair.

He’s got to be talking about Donte Williams. Dudes landed the Ducks two 5 star LBs, a 4 star LB and another high 3 star LB this year too. He’s still lights out in recruiting. Doesn’t list his name but he’s involved in their recruiting because DW is LB Coach...

Jeeez.....the TOP 2 LB'

Jeeez.....the TOP 2 LB's in the entire nation?! Plus 2 more LB's top 30 and #1 recruit Thibodeax last.....what kind of stuff he telling these recruits??!

He has to be the top paid non head coach/coordinator in the country...

You’ll be just fine....no really :p. TBF he walked into a shit show here. Hard to tell really over the long term. The pressers will be fun even though you’ll have no clue what he is saying.

Nebraska had some talent on the DL when he came to town and we went from #33 in total defense in 2016 under Banker, to #116 in 2017 under Diaco. Maybe you will have better luck, but you can see why Husker fans were not impressed with Diaco.

I gotta say...if we don't beat Purdue by at least 17 points in Diaco's 1st game as DC, it is an indictment of our coaches. Frost and Co. better not blow this.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Nebraska had some talent on the DL when he came to town and we went from #33 in total defense in 2016 under Banker, to #116 in 2017 under Diaco. Maybe you will have better luck, but you can see why Husker fans were not impressed with Diaco.
Oh, I am slightly worried, but that year at Nebraska seems to be more of an outlier than the norm. He has some good young pieces and Yanni Karlaftis is probably going to be his next door neighbor. Again, he can't be worse than Holt's 19 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 vs Wisconsin. Brohm got rid of Holt for not being aggressive enough.

Oh, I am slightly worried, but that year at Nebraska seems to be more of an outlier than the norm. He has some good young pieces and Yanni Karlaftis is probably going to be his next door neighbor. Again, he can't be worse than Holt's 19 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 vs Wisconsin. Brohm got rid of Holt for not being aggressive enough.

1. Are we sure his name isn’t actually Laurel Karlaftis?

2. No strain no gain! I hope Purdue hires Mike Riley next.

I gotta say...if we don't beat Purdue by at least 17 points in Diaco's 1st game as DC, it is an indictment of our coaches. Frost and Co. better not blow this.
Their offense will be very good. This was probably going to be a track meet even before they hired _iaco.

1. Are we sure his name isn’t actually Laurel Karlaftis?

2. No strain no gain! I hope Purdue hires Mike Riley next.
Honest to God don't even know if Mike Riley is an offensive or defensive coach. If he is an offensive coach, we don't need him. Purdue's offense is going to be really good next year.

Honest to God don't even know if Mike Riley is an offensive or defensive coach.

We don't know either. My assessment is a little bit of neither.

In defense of Diaco's time here, he was brought into a pretty bad situation.

Yes, he managed to help make things worse and it was apparent he was not on the same page as Riley, but he wasn't Riley's hire. He was hired by our AD.

He's done a good job elsewhere. Hopefully he does well for you guys except when we play you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT