ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened to Holt? That dude was annoying.
He was let go/left. No one is 100% for sure. I know he was bad at Nebraska, but seems to have been good everywhere else. Is it ok to be cautiously optimistic?

As long as he doesn't give 15 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 vs Wisconsin, it will be ok. Right? Dline should be good next year.

He was let go/left. No one is 100% for sure. I know he was bad at Nebraska, but seems to have been good everywhere else. Is it ok to be cautiously optimistic?

As long as he doesn't give 15 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 vs Wisconsin, it will be ok. Right? Dline should be good next year.

he did as a Husker DC, I don’t see him suddenly changing now. There was a reason our defense was absolutely horrible that year...he complete control of our defense and everything about.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/defense/season/2017/group/5

here, this is how Diaco did in the BIG 10 West while a DC...worst defense in the BIG 10 giving up almost 440 yards per game and allowed 37 points per game as well...

Reactions: Gerard10
The guy is a walking cliché and I feel like it would be easy to negatively recruit against him because he's a journeyman - Purdue will be the 12th school he's been a paid coach in some capacity for in the last 20 years.

That being said, I hope Nebraska doesn't need to use negative recruiting and I felt like he was a good hire when the Huskers brought him in. Out of respect, I wish him the same amount of success he had at Nebraska everywhere he coaches.

Diaco was not going to be successful at NU with only 1 year.

One things for sure, our Huskers should be able to move the ball and score pretty easily on Purdue next year. I’m glad we catch them game 1 now. They will be learning a brand new defense. If I remember right Diaco was taking our previously ran 4-3 defense and turning it into a 3-4 defense that 2017 season. The exact same thing will be happening with Purdue next season.

Reactions: scarletred
I swear to God this guy is a cat with 9 lives. How many chances does this guy get in college football?

He does realize that he is going to have to go against the same Big 10 offenses that booted him out of L-town, right?

This guy is going to have a lot of stories for his grandkids.

What little I watched of the Miami bowl game, his D was very good. They were constantly switching fronts, moving guys from hand on the ground to standing up and they were aggressive. His team D stats as stated above are good, I am sure we would be happy with those. They were 10-3. Appears to be a good hire, despite his single less than stellar year at Nebraska, but it remains to be seen how long he stays.

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
What little I watched of the Miami bowl game, his D was very good. They were constantly switching fronts, moving guys from hand on the ground to standing up and they were aggressive. His team D stats as stated above are good, I am sure we would be happy with those. They were 10-3. Appears to be a good hire, despite his single less than stellar year at Nebraska, but it remains to be seen how long he stays.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...up/1/table/passing/sort/yardsPerGame/dir/desc

Some of that could be because Miami’s offense is horrible. 3rds worst offense in the ACC, and have the 99th rank offense in yards in college football.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/mmi/stats

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I didn’t see the game, but doesn’t sound anything like what we saw at Nebraska. I wonder why he was he able to have success year 1 at La Tech? Were they already playing a similar system before he got there.

I didn’t see the game, but doesn’t sound anything like what we saw at Nebraska. I wonder why he was he able to have success year 1 at La Tech? Were they already playing a similar system before he got there.

what I’m finding he didn’t do that well at La Tech either...take a look for yourself. His La Tech defense had 10 the best defense on yards allowed in the C-USA, 2nd worst defense in C-USA in passing yards allowed, and 7th best rushing defense in yards allowed in the C-USA.... he bombed in all areas but points allowed. They must of done well in the red zone at the least I guess.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/defense/group/12

in all honestly, I like Purdue and respect them and Coach Brohm and what’s he’s doing there. I hope this works out for them...

Last edited:
Reactions: snowsquirrel11
10-3 at La Tech this year, but the combined record for the teams he's been on staff for prior to this season since 1996 is 125-125 (record does not include vacated victories at Notre Dame). That's a Riley-esque .500 sample size.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Bob Diaco obviously didn't work at Nebraska, and he is a bit of a strange guy. That aside, he's coached and played more football than all of us put together. I won't be surprised if he improves Purdue's defense. Brohm is not a moron.

Reactions: Boilpotato

He did a nice job against Miami-FL with his Group of 5 team in his bowl game. Welcome back Bobby Diaco, another former Hayden Fry player coaching in the college ranks at a P5 school.

Miami had an awful offense that got shut down by the likes of FIU, Central Michigan, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Pitt.

Diaco inherited a defense at LA Tech that was ranked 27th nationally last year, and finished this year ranked 52nd, so I'm not sure how much credit you can give him this year since they actually got worse statistically. He'll be taking over a Purdue defense ranked 99th. He doesn't have a track record of turning around bad defenses, the places he succeeded were when he inherited good defenses. He was a disaster here and at UConn.

Miami had an awful offense that got shut down by the likes of FIU, Central Michigan, Duke, Georgia Tech, and Pitt.

Diaco inherited a defense at LA Tech that was ranked 27th nationally last year, and finished this year ranked 52nd, so I'm not sure how much credit you can give him this year since they actually got worse statistically. He'll be taking over a Purdue defense ranked 99th. He doesn't have a track record of turning around bad defenses, the places he succeeded were when he inherited good defenses. He was a disaster here and at UConn.

his defense is ranked 99th in the country, not 52nd. Well guess it depends on what category you’re looking up. Yards given up he’s 99th ranked. His scoring allowed defense was reasonable but he’s giving up tons of yards.

I mean he joined a bad situation with Riley at Nebraska. What head coaches have been successful at UConn lol?

One things for sure, our Huskers should be able to move the ball and score pretty easily on Purdue next year. I’m glad we catch them game 1 now. They will be learning a brand new defense. If I remember right Diaco was taking our previously ran 4-3 defense and turning it into a 3-4 defense that 2017 season. The exact same thing will be happening with Purdue next season.
Hope so

hope so??? If not he pulled off the fastest transition in college football. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 and being ready by game 1 of the year?...if their defense come out and shuts us down...something is worse then wrong for our offense.
Hope so as in I hope you're right. I think this definitely helps us for sure. Not thrilled about starting season off with this Purdue game. We need all the breaks we can get

Yes they'll be learning a new system but I think Purdue probably has more to work with than diaco did here

Reactions: headcard
hope so??? If not he pulled off the fastest transition in college football. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 and being ready by game 1 of the year?...if their defense come out and shuts us down...something is worse then wrong for our offense.
Diaco/Purdue success or failure will be determined by how good their DL is.

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT