ADVERTISEMENT

Board of Regents Voting Tomorrow

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
The regents will consider a change to board bylaws, recommended in May by the board’s executive committee, that would re-assign direction and oversight of the Huskers’ athletic department to the university system president.

If approved, the move, as of July 1, would install system president Ted Carter as the direct supervisor of athletic director Trev Alberts and hand the Nebraska seat on the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors to Carter.

Last edited:
The regents will consider a change to board bylaws, recommended in May by the board’s executive committee, that would re-assign direction and oversight of the Huskers’ athletic department to the university system president.

If approved, the move, as of July 1, would install system president Ted Carter as the direct supervisor of athletic director Trev Alberts and hand the Nebraska seat on the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors to Carter.
Who's in charge now?

Looks like an unnecessary power grab while UNL is in the process of changing chancellors. Doesn't the system president (Carter) have enough to do? Seems to me that the chancellor at the university level should continue to be in charge - "We trust you to run our flagship university, but we're taking oversight of athletics away from you". Does this also give the regents more say in athletics since Carter reports directly to them? Found this quote from the regents sponsoring the change - “It makes sense for the president of the university system, with a direct line to the Board of Regents, to have oversight of the program that serves as the front door to the university for so many Nebraskans,” Clare and Schafer said in a joint May statement.

Reactions: king_kong_

I think in part this is about the athletic department budget, which was being pilfered by the university side for non-athletic related expenses. We were #1 in the nation for giving money from our athletic department to the general university fund, while we are working on a decade of not having been to a bowl game. This puts the budget of the athletic department into the hands of someone who is going to stop that at least until we are winning again.

Reactions: V-Doub
In related news last month I was reading about the need for budget cuts at UNL -
-------------------------------------
As the University of Nebraska-Lincoln faces an approximate $23.2 million budget deficit, it has become clear that permanent cuts are necessary.

On Friday, Chancellor Ronnie Green publicly announced his recommendations to permanently lower the UNL budget by almost $10.8 million, with the remaining $12.4 million deficit expected to be recovered through future enrollment.

To make these reductions, Green has proposed eliminating 10% of administrative salary costs, cutting vacant faculty and staff positions and shifting some other staff positions from state support to alternative funding and cutting vacant faculty and staff positions. Some currently occupied staff roles will be eliminated as well. He also included a variety of operating budget cuts.

Green’s recommendations didn't include cuts to existing professor salaries. He also said that a conversation with the University of Nebraska Board of Regents about the sustainability of the current tuition freeze is anticipated, citing rapidly escalating costs.
------------------------------------------
And now today I read that outgoing Chancellor Green received a salary of $525k, and his replacement is set to receive $720k, a 37% increase. I get that you have to pay market rate, but is this what they're doing? Plus, the new chancellor will have less on his plate if they move athletic oversight to the president as discussed above. All this while they're facing budget cuts. This is part of the reason I don't pick up the phone when the U of N Foundation calls looking for $.

In related news last month I was reading about the need for budget cuts at UNL -
-------------------------------------
As the University of Nebraska-Lincoln faces an approximate $23.2 million budget deficit, it has become clear that permanent cuts are necessary.

On Friday, Chancellor Ronnie Green publicly announced his recommendations to permanently lower the UNL budget by almost $10.8 million, with the remaining $12.4 million deficit expected to be recovered through future enrollment.

To make these reductions, Green has proposed eliminating 10% of administrative salary costs, cutting vacant faculty and staff positions and shifting some other staff positions from state support to alternative funding and cutting vacant faculty and staff positions. Some currently occupied staff roles will be eliminated as well. He also included a variety of operating budget cuts.

Green’s recommendations didn't include cuts to existing professor salaries. He also said that a conversation with the University of Nebraska Board of Regents about the sustainability of the current tuition freeze is anticipated, citing rapidly escalating costs.
------------------------------------------
And now today I read that outgoing Chancellor Green received a salary of $525k, and his replacement is set to receive $720k, a 37% increase. I get that you have to pay market rate, but is this what they're doing? Plus, the new chancellor will have less on his plate if they move athletic oversight to the president as discussed above. All this while they're facing budget cuts. This is part of the reason I don't pick up the phone when the U of N Foundation calls looking for $.
My wife was an "administrative salary" person at UNL for 26 years before finally pulling the plug and going somewhere she is valued last year. It was fun being a loyal employee and getting your job threatened every 3-4 years as part of budget politics. All the while working for professors who barely showed up for work on a regular basis. This is all just 100% window dressing; they do it all the time and nothing will change. Lowering the budget by $10.8 mil is like me deciding to drop one of my streaming services. It's not like it's going to make a significant difference in anything at the end of the day other than for the people making <$60k that will be losing their jobs.

Reactions: king_kong_
My wife was an "administrative salary" person at UNL for 26 years before finally pulling the plug and going somewhere she is valued last year. It was fun being a loyal employee and getting your job threatened every 3-4 years as part of budget politics. All the while working for professors who barely showed up for work on a regular basis. This is all just 100% window dressing; they do it all the time and nothing will change. Lowering the budget by $10.8 mil is like me deciding to drop one of my streaming services. It's not like it's going to make a significant difference in anything at the end of the day other than for the people making <$60k that will be losing their jobs.
That would suck, glad she landed where she is valued.

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT