ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Wilson

Just curious on Boe - A) Did Missouri want him? B) If they did, just curious why Nebraska continues to have success in Missouri with their D-1 level athletes. Missouri is arguably in a better conference and has actually competed in the SEC Championship game the last two years. Are they now "above" players like Boe, or does anyone know why we continue to poach guys like this from their home school?

Just curious on Boe - A) Did Missouri want him? B) If they did, just curious why Nebraska continues to have success in Missouri with their D-1 level athletes. Missouri is arguably in a better conference and has actually competed in the SEC Championship game the last two years. Are they now "above" players like Boe, or does anyone know why we continue to poach guys like this from their home school?

I am pretty sure Mizzou never offered. He is one of several kids our staff must see something in him that others don't. Boe's offers and rankings aren't that impressive. I am sure if he commits, the debate will continue on Riley's recruiting... High ranking vs MR opinion.

IMO - I think most schools think they are above offering Boe, not just Mizzou.

Also IMO- We have way too many 5.4 & 5.5 recruits right now. It's actually a bit scary... But maybe they are all underrated &/or will get bumps. We need to stick with the "it's not us, it's you" mentality way of thinking around here.

He's being strictly recruited to play center, from what I've read. Pure speculation on my part, but, maybe he is a better center recruit than guard recruit, as most schools see him.

We have a very good chance to get his commit, but I don't think it's a lock. Louisville could sign him too.

His offer list is only fair, which I suspect is partially due to his size. He's listed 6'2#, 277. We apparently like him at center, and he's big enough for center but if you look at his film you won't see him there for his HS team--he plays mostly tackle and some guard for them.

If you don't project him to have center skills, a lot of schools won't offer because he may not have the size to play anywhere else on the line.

Scout lists him as the #3 center prospect in the country, though. Riley specifically mentioned center as a place he was concerned about our depth, and if you believe Scout's ratings (they're average, IMO, not as good as 247) then getting the #3 center would be a coup.

I am pretty sure Mizzou never offered. He is one of several kids our staff must see something in him that others don't. Boe's offers and rankings aren't that impressive. I am sure if he commits, the debate will continue on Riley's recruiting... High ranking vs MR opinion.

Also IMO- We have way too many 5.4 & 5.5 recruits right now. It's actually a bit scary... But maybe they are all underrated &/or will get bumps. We need to stick with the "it's not us, it's you" mentality way of thinking around here.

Stille, Terry Wilson and Thomas are the only 5.5/5.4 guys. What would be an ok amount for you if 3 is way too many?

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Stille, Terry Wilson and Thomas are the only 5.5/5.4 guys. What would be an ok amount for you if 3 is way too many?

Dont know about Stille but the other two will be bumped up. With Rileys rep of finding diamonds and actually polishing them I am okay with the lower rated guys since they have all been seen at camps in person by our coaches who have reps for finding these types of players. But you also cant fill a class with these guys that might need a year or three to develop. In a class of 25+ you are going to have a few diamonds that hopefully get polished. Itll be good enough to compete in the Big West but until we fill half a class with immediate impact studs we wont compete with the playoff teams. IMO

I'm less concerned about star ratings for OL than for most positions.

Historically, other than the obvious Rivals100 type studs the services (all of them) are pretty terrible at projecting OL. I feel more comfortable when we offer players with significant offer lists, but beyond that for OL I just have to trust the coaches. If they're getting players high on their list that has to be a good thing.

Itll be good enough to compete in the Big West but until we fill half a class with immediate impact studs we wont compete with the playoff teams. IMO

Is this hyperbole?

Most recruitniks from informed guys on a board, to national analysts to coaches like Osborne say that in a given class, roughly half will be a waste. Don't cut it, don't contribute, don't live up to projection, transfer etc.

So half the class of a given school (again very roughly) is only a lock to really contribute in a major way over a the four years they are here, but that says nothing that all of them will eventually be superstars (hint: they won't be), let alone immediate impact.

Is this hyperbole?

Most recruitniks from informed guys on a board, to national analysts to coaches like Osborne say that in a given class, roughly half will be a waste. Don't cut it, don't contribute, don't live up to projection, transfer etc.

So half the class of a given school (again very roughly) is only a lock to really contribute in a major way over a the four years they are here, but that says nothing that all of them will eventually be superstars (hint: they won't be), let alone immediate impact.

But you'd still rather have a class full of immediate impact guys right?

I think there are a few factors at play here. Staff says they are going to recruit the 500 mile radius. Boe is in the radius. Saw a quote, condensed down to something like, this guy plays hard and doesn't quit on any play.

I think there are a few factors at play here. Staff says they are going to recruit the 500 mile radius. Boe is in the radius. Saw a quote, condensed down to something like, this guy plays hard and doesn't quit on any play.

Solid points! Locking in the 500 mile radius guys now, sets the tone for the future 500 mile radius guys. Also, you cannot teach heart. See Spencer Long.

Historically, other than the obvious Rivals100 type studs the services (all of them) are pretty terrible at projecting OL. I feel more comfortable when we offer players with significant offer lists, but beyond that for OL I just have to trust the coaches. If they're getting players high on their list that has to be a good thing.

Year after year, interior OL prospects are rated far lower than OT prospects -- all other factors being equal. We can teach technique but you really can't instill the fire to get after it in the weight room and the desire to eat healthy and take care of yourself. If the staff believes Wilson has the frame and the intangibles, I'd certainly give them the benefit of the doubt.

Very true.

You're an insufferable mess when it comes to recruiting.

Boe Wilson's family are KU fans. They made it clear to Mizzou they weren't interested. If that doesnt make sense to you, I suggest you learn about the childish Mizzou vs KU hatred in the KC area.

Boe Wilson is a true center. He's strong as fvck and Nebraska will be lucky to get him from Louisville.

But you'd still rather have a class full of immediate impact guys right?

Sure but my daughter would like a unicorn too.

If they dynamics of the situation according to the coaches etc are half won't ever contribute, and of the remaining half most of them won't be superstars at any point in 4 years, I'd say the odds of filling an entire class of *immediate* impact guys is darn near zero. Immediate as in, freshman year, impact as in a talent like DPE.

I don't know what the record is for true frosh's who played are, but I'm probably fairly certain that most any team in the running for it was probably not that great, which is why they were playing them en masse. I know Bama and OSU and stuff get their share of freshman on the field (whether they are impact or not I guess is an exercise for the viewer in any given year) but I think it was probably one of Tressel's defenses that had something like 9 underclassman starters one year that sticks in my mind.

Sure but my daughter would like a unicorn too.

If they dynamics of the situation according to the coaches etc are half won't ever contribute, and of the remaining half most of them won't be superstars at any point in 4 years, I'd say the odds of filling an entire class of *immediate* impact guys is darn near zero. Immediate as in, freshman year, impact as in a talent like DPE.

I don't know what the record is for true frosh's who played are, but I'm probably fairly certain that most any team in the running for it was probably not that great, which is why they were playing them en masse. I know Bama and OSU and stuff get their share of freshman on the field (whether they are impact or not I guess is an exercise for the viewer in any given year) but I think it was probably one of Tressel's defenses that had something like 9 underclassman starters one year that sticks in my mind.

Teams full of immediate impact guys exist, just not at Nebraska - right now, unicorns don't. Recruiting needs to be taken a step or two up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT