ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Ryan retires effective immediately

I seemed to remember he was going to retire after last season and Alvarez told him it is not good to make a decision right after the season. Maybe he just had one of those "why am I doing this?" days and decided to pack it in.

Mid season? Health or family issue related almost 100% of the time.

Jim, it doesn't seem like it was either of those things...he pulled a Knight/Smith move...he wanted his long time loyal assistant to get the job after this year but "rumor has it" that Alvarez was not in love with that idea...so Bo decided to make sure that it happened.

I think he just wanted to move into his cave full time, and be head bat-man

Did you know Prior to Bo Ryan taking over at Wisconsin, they had been to the NCAA tournament a grand total of 7 times. Under Bo Ryan's tenure at Wisconsin (14 years), they made the NCAA tournament EACH of those 14 years.

He also NEVER finished below 4th in the B1G conference. This guy is the absolute goods. Glad he's going out on his own terms. This blueprint also shows that a previously unimpressive basketball team can become relevant - something I believe is on the horizon for Nebraska if we stick with Miles and give him a long ride.

The word from up north is old Bo has a wife-mistress problem and wifey put her foot down. He is not sick which leaves the personal as the only one that makes sense. Barry is going to hire who ever he wants and giving the assistant time to audition isn't going to work especially with the butt kicking this team is in for.

I think you are witnessing the decline in the Wisky athletic department. Football is going down, basketball surely to go down, and Alverez retiring soon.

I have no clue what will happen with football but basketball will be a bit down this year...really solid next year with the entire team coming back...and then it will get "different" after next season.

I never liked Mr. Ryan and I like him even less today. I do not care for coaches who harass players and make their life difficult if they decide to part ways. This seems like a contrived move on Bo's part to see to it he gets his guy a chance, and that isn't his place IMO. While I am happy to admit he had the kind of success most college programs would give anything for, us included, I don't like the guy at all. So later, douchebag.

Reactions: schuele
I have no clue what will happen with football but basketball will be a bit down this year...really solid next year with the entire team coming back...and then it will get "different" after next season.
I think you're right. This happens almost everywhere when a HOF caliber coach steps down. You may have a couple years of solid performance with the carry-over effect, but typically you start to see a decline.

This certainly happened at Nebraska after Osborne. It happened at OU after Switzer. It happened at North Carolina hoops after Dean Smith. It will happen at Oregon after Kelly.

Barry will never retire his ego is way too big .He wants a state funeral when he dies at 101 and they will build a facility where the red clad masses can view him for the next several centuries.

Reactions: Bapa65
The word from up north is old Bo has a wife-mistress problem and wifey put her foot down. He is not sick which leaves the personal as the only one that makes sense. Barry is going to hire who ever he wants and giving the assistant time to audition isn't going to work especially with the butt kicking this team is in for.
That is what I am hearing.Bo got caught with his co#$ out.

Wow. Good luck to him in retirement.
Did this just hit print in NE? He has been gone for at least 3 weeks now. After the losses to UW MIL and Marquette, he was as good as gone, over two weeks ago.

Did this just hit print in NE? He has been gone for at least 3 weeks now. After the losses to UW MIL and Marquette, he was as good as gone, over two weeks ago.

Look at the date of the original post. Someone just updated it.

Yes. Just found out here. The pony express just got here this morning. God bless them for working on Christmas. We invited the rider in for some fresh off-the-cow milk after he helped us finish Christmas morning chores. It is just about time for the kids to open gifts. Got the oldest boy a 30-30 to help rustle up food, the oldest girl a stick and hoop, and the 3 year old a wooden rocking horse.

Reactions: timnsun
Yes. Just found out here. The pony express just got here this morning. God bless them for working on Christmas. We invited the rider in for some fresh off-the-cow milk after he helped us finish Christmas morning chores. It is just about time for the kids to open gifts. Got the oldest boy a 30-30 to help rustle up food, the oldest girl a stick and hoop, and the 3 year old a wooden rocking horse.
HAHAHA!

That cracked me up!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT