ADVERTISEMENT

Blaise is N

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/blaise-gunnerson-commit-what-does-it-mean-for-nebraska-
1. Nebraska won an important recruiting battle against its neighbors to the East with the addition of Iowa native Blaise Gunnerson. The talented pass rusher was wanted badly by both Iowa State and Iowa, which never makes it easy to pull a player of his caliber away from his home. You have to give defensive coordinator Erik Chinander a lot of credit for the work he put into recruiting Gunnerson to the Huskers.

2. The Big Red has been extremely active in its recruitment of Iowa prospects since Scott Frost arrived in Lincoln. They have now been able to land important commits from the state in back-to-back years by signing defensive lineman

Mosai Newsom
in 2019 and now Gunnerson in 2020. Having those two players on the roster should only help Nebraska's efforts in getting more from the state going forward, especially in the 2021 class where the Huskers have already extended early offers to seven Iowa prospects.

3. The addition of Gunnerson gives NU five commits in its 2020 class from inside the all-important 500-mile radius. Nebraska was able to fill out nearly half of its 2019 class with prospects inside the 500-mile radius and are now in a great position to do that yet again. The Huskers will always have to be a team that recruits nationally, but being able to routinely snag at least half of its class with some of the best players from the Midwest is certainly ideal.
4. I feel like the Huskers are getting a complete steal in Gunnerson. The talented prospect was forced to miss his entire junior season with a torn labrum in his right hip, which required surgery to fix. There's no doubt Gunnerson would have had a lot more attention surrounding his recruitment if it had not been for the unknowns surrounding his injury and simply not being able to put together any junior season highlights. In the end, the teams that believed in his abilities enough to show him a lot of attention, regardless of his injury, were rewarded with the best shot at landing him and Nebraska won out.

5. If there was any doubt about Gunnerson's ability to recover from his injury, they were squashed after his performance at Nebraska's Friday Night Lights camp in mid-June. First of all, at all of 6-foot-5, 250-pounds, he's in phenomenal physical shape. He doesn't have a shred of bad weight on him. Then, not only did he show off his ability to operate in space dropping into pass coverage and working the flats as an outside linebacker, but he also showed his great explosiveness off the edge as a defensive end.

6. Gunnerson is a natural pass rusher, whether it's with his hand in the dirt of coming off the edge from a two-point stance. He has a great first step off the line and has a number of different speed and power pass rush moves. He uses his hands extremely well already, which is something you don't always see from players at this level. His combination of size, strength and speed should allow him to see the field early on in his college career at Nebraska.

7. As I mentioned above, Gunnerson worked out at Nebraska's Friday Night Lights camp. That tells you an awful lot about how he's wired as a prospect. He didn't need to prove anything to the Husker coaching staff, but he wanted to compete and get some work in to become a better player. Another thing that was clear from watching him at the camp was just how coachable he is. In between reps, he would get tips, which either showed how to improve something he was doing or even something completely new, and he would go and execute it to perfection on his next rep. Those are all traits that every coach loves to see and it will serve him well at the next level.
mutpkcuw1y1fkilo1az2

I particularly like this recruit because Nebraska needs a good sized pass rusher on the outside so bad for the defense Chin wants to run.

Reactions: bshirt73
I agree! I mean, I'll pose this to anyone reading: Do we all think he would have probably been a 4 star recruit if he hadn't missed his entire junior year with a hip injury? Because his highlights from the Friday Night Lights camp were really, REALLY exciting.

Also, he's being recruited as a big-ass OLB; the kind that can walk up and act as a DE, or just rush the passer from the OLB spot. He's already 255 lbs, so my thought is you actually don't want him to get a whole lot bigger or he's just going to wind up being a DE in the end. The staff has told him they want him to basically be like Trev Alberts was.

Where do we all see him landing in terms of playing?

I see him as an elite 6'6 270lb OLB that runs a 4.60 40 yard dash with quick edge rushing ability coupled with Power!

This is going to be one of the more interesting classes to watch in recent memory because it really seems like some of these kids are just underated. Wandale is a great example of what I'm talking about: fairly highly regarded initially and then really highly regarded later on. Hutmatcher and Smothers, IMO, are in the same boat as this kid. Could end up being ranked much, much higher.

This is going to be one of the more interesting classes to watch in recent memory because it really seems like some of these kids are just underated. Wandale is a great example of what I'm talking about: fairly highly regarded initially and then really highly regarded later on. Hutmatcher and Smothers, IMO, are in the same boat as this kid. Could end up being ranked much, much higher.
Agreed. I think what this points to is that our coaching staff has a great eye for talent. They don’t just look at star ratings. They locate athletes that fit their system and analyze them with a sharp eye. Kudos to Frost and staff

Looking at the Rivals numbers, if NU had 14 commits of the same quality instead of 7, the Rivals score would be 1380 which would place NU inside the top 20.

Anyone seen film on Iowa’s commit Logan Jones? How does Blaise Gunnerson compare to Logan Jones? Both are 5.6 3 star SDEs, both from Iowa and both had Huskers, ISUcks and Iowa offers (actually pretty much identical offer lists) and all that. I’d have to say both teams got themselves good DEs for the future, I’m just curious how they compare. Thanks in advance.

Anyone seen film on Iowa’s commit Logan Jones? How does Blaise Gunnerson compare to Logan Jones? Both are 5.6 3 star SDEs, both from Iowa and both had Huskers, ISUcks and Iowa offers (actually pretty much identical offer lists) and all that. I’d have to say both teams got themselves good DEs for the future, I’m just curious how they compare. Thanks in advance.
Who cares? Blaise anyday, everyday. Not even close.

Logan Jones invited to the Army All American game I highly doubt Blaze was. Blaze was listed as the 6th best player in the State, Jones ranked #2 ranked player in the State. I think Iowa St is disappointed Iowa is pretty flush with recruits for 2020 not a big loss for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: sltldowney
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/blaise-gunnerson-commit-what-does-it-mean-for-nebraska-
7. As I mentioned above, Gunnerson worked out at Nebraska's Friday Night Lights camp. That tells you an awful lot about how he's wired as a prospect. He didn't need to prove anything to the Husker coaching staff, but he wanted to compete and get some work in to become a better player. Another thing that was clear from watching him at the camp was just how coachable he is. In between reps, he would get tips, which either showed how to improve something he was doing or even something completely new, and he would go and execute it to perfection on his next rep. Those are all traits that every coach loves to see and it will serve him well at the next level.

I cannot say enough about what a great point you made about this kid. When the trend today is for kids with scholarship offers to watch while others at camp work, this kid went out there and showed all of those other athletes what he was made of and left no doubt that "this is what a scholarship kid looks like". And then to go harder than most everyone as well? Fantastic stuff.

I'm fine with Blaise staying a 3 star, but to be honest, I would take Nash and Blaise over any four star and some of the five stars at their positions. I bet the staff would as well.

Reactions: SOHusker11

Blaise is the best football player in the state of Iowa this year and it should be reflected in the final rankings.

Jones is a slower, weaker, and shorter version of Blaise.

Logan Jones invited to the Army All American game I highly doubt Blaze was. Blaze was listed as the 6th best player in the State, Jones ranked #2 ranked player in the State. I think Iowa St is disappointed Iowa is pretty flush with recruits for 2020 not a big loss for them.

Lay off the wacky tobacky and you’ll see things a little more objectively. Blaise was injured all of last year, which is why he may not get an invite. That doesn’t make him worse than your guy... it simply means there isn’t any junior film on him.

But keep being an idiot. Flush with recruits isn’t always a good thing, especially when your highest rated recruit is just a 3 star recruit. And since your full, have fun watching Iowa drop in the recruiting rankings for the next 6 months. It’ll be a blast.

How's that? Everything I just said was completely accurate.

Blaise is faster. True.
Blaise is stronger. True.
Blaise is taller. True.

If Blaise wasn't hurt his JR year, there is a strong possibility he would be #1 in the state of Iowa right now.

Take a lap.

So much backpedaling in your response you should take up riding a unicycle. Fact is he isn’t rated in the Top 5 players in the state of Iowa. This woulda coulda shoulda stuff is typical of Nebraska fans.

Reactions: sltldowney
So much backpedaling in your response you should take up riding a unicycle. Fact is he isn’t rated in the Top 5 players in the state of Iowa. This woulda coulda shoulda stuff is typical of Nebraska fans.
Another fact for ya... they will all be re-rated at some point. At that point, you will realize how silly it is to come to a Nebraska board to defend your craptastic haul of 3 star players.

Wtf are you talking about? Fact is... you're a loser.

Iowa has had it's nice little run over Nebraska. Mike Riley ain't here no more! Frost damn near beat the Hawks in Iowa City during a tough transition year. Lol. Huskers will own this series moving forward. Smokin

How's that? Everything I just said was completely accurate.

Blaise is faster. True.
Blaise is stronger. True.
Blaise is taller. True.

If Blaise wasn't hurt his JR year, there is a strong possibility he would be #1 in the state of Iowa right now.

Take a lap.

Take a lap is a good close. Going to incorporate that.

I’ve been told by Iowa fans that recruiting rankings and offer list does not matter.

I’ve been told by Iowa fans that recruiting rankings and offer list does not matter.

Every Iowa board poster is given a post kit with a "stars don't mean anything" response inside it upon creating an account.

Of course horseshoes and hand grenades are a big hit in Iowa as well, heard those are going to be sports added at the U over there. They'll be nice bookends for their football program.

Every Iowa board poster is given a post kit with a "stars don't mean anything" response inside it upon creating an account.

Of course horseshoes and hand grenades are a big hit in Iowa as well, heard those are going to be sports added at the U over there. They'll be nice bookends for their football program.

Bolievers were notorious for screaming that stars didn't matter. Don't think we should crap on Iowa fans for that when we still have Bo-zos among us.

Bolievers were notorious for screaming that stars didn't matter. Don't think we should crap on Iowa fans for that when we still have Bo-zos among us.

imagine freaking out about landing an unranked CB lol

Gunnerson is a real good get. Iowa definitely would have liked to have him but he didn’t seem to have much interest. Iowa state was always thought to be the destination until about a month ago. Being from the area he’s from and I think he had some family ties to Iowa state as well he was thought to be there’s to lose.

As to the Logan Jones and Gunnerson comparison. Jones will be DT at Iowa not de. Jones is very very good. Those two will most likely be 1-2 in final rankings Gavin Williams rb could be up there as well. Gunnerson getting these offers while being out last year is a pretty good indicator on what people see in his potential.

Irony, look it up dipshit. Thanks for making me laugh my ass off.

Reactions: Sinomatic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT