ADVERTISEMENT

Blaise Gunnerson...

cdriftt24

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 29, 2012
What has everyone heard? Us or Iowa State? Any idea when a decision is coming? Missing on Reed and Simon, sure would be nice to get him onboard.

What has everyone heard? Us or Iowa State? Any idea when a decision is coming? Missing on Reed and Simon, sure would be nice to get him onboard.

Wow this kid is a must! I just watched his film, he'll be playing on Sundays , gotta be our top recruit at this point.

Yeah, 5.6 3 star is ridiculous on him. It’s only because he’s an Iowa high schooler. Put him out west or down south and he’s an easy 4 star.

My opinion is we need a bunch of LBs still, and after missing on Reed/Simon, it’s time to start loading up elsewhere. If Blaise can stay at OLB, that’s one, but need plenty more.
It’s early, but I’d love to see a couple jump on board sooner than later.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Im hearing he is leaning towards Iowa st. Who really knows for sure. I think it is close. Although not sure why between Iowa St and Nebraska it would be close. Nebraska seems like the easy pick, granted Im bias.

My opinion is we need a bunch of LBs still, and after missing on Reed/Simon, it’s time to start loading up elsewhere. If Blaise can stay at OLB, that’s one, but need plenty more.
It’s early, but I’d love to see a couple jump on board sooner than later.
Linebacker recruiting has been disappointing, especially for a 3-4 defense.

Reactions: red scowl
Im hearing he is leaning towards Iowa st. Who really knows for sure. I think it is close. Although not sure why between Iowa St and Nebraska it would be close. Nebraska seems like the easy pick, granted Im bias.
Well he is from Iowa, the last cb had it 75% to Iowa st but things can change really fast

Linebacker recruiting has been disappointing, especially for a 3-4 defense.

Last year we nabbed two 4 stars and a 5.7 possibly underrated Nelson. 4*s Will Honas Caleb Tannor and Breon Dixon the year before (although Dixon sure didn’t work out).
As for 2020, I’ll wait til December/February to worry, but hope they start narrowing down some more legit targets considering opportunity is there at the position.

Also thinking Dewitt’s absence didn’t help with LB recruiting, so hoping he can get back on the trail and reel in some big fish.

I won't be surprised if he ends up at Iowa st. . In the same way I wouldn't be surprised if we won a recruiting battle against Alabama for a wide receiver. The defense hasn't been good or even sound, for a long time.

I think Nash helps us. I can see it. Nash at nose. Ty and Blaise at ends. Good lord.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Say what you want but the linebacker group, in my opinion, is the most important and the most difficult position to secure. You can have average DL who occupy blocks but may not get the greatest penetration but good LB's can clean up a lot of messes. The position, inside or out, requires great eyes, instincts, quickness and above average speed.

I think if you ask any coach at any level and finding really good LB's is a challenge.

Simply, we have got to somehow step up our game in getting some good to great LB's on this team.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Say what you want but the linebacker group, in my opinion, is the most important and the most difficult position to secure. You can have average DL who occupy blocks but may not get the greatest penetration but good LB's can clean up a lot of messes. The position, inside or out, requires great eyes, instincts, quickness and above average speed.

I think if you ask any coach at any level and finding really good LB's is a challenge.

Simply, we have got to somehow step up our game in getting some good to great LB's on this team.
Lol, you're not completely wrong, but I'm all ears about recruiting linebackers. I imagine you have a formula.

I am of the notion: a great line will make good linebackers look great.

Reactions: timnsun
Lol, you're not completely wrong, but I'm all ears about recruiting linebackers. I imagine you have a formula.

I am of the notion: a great line will make good linebackers look great.
True, but great linebackers can save your bacon. Get any combination of good/great or great/great and you're in business. We really haven't had either recently. Things are changing

Reactions: timnsun
I wish I were as confident as some others about Blaise being N but I think that is going to a hard draw. Iowa State is 40 minutes or so from his home and his older brother is a walk-on for the Cyclones this year. I truly believe he likes it here but that has to be tough!

True, but great linebackers can save your bacon. Get any combination of good/great or great/great and you're in business. We really haven't had either recently. Things are changing

Which one is harder? Recruiting lineman or linebackers?

Getting guys that get after the qb is the most important piece to winning aside from qb. Whether that’s interior pressure from the dline or olbs getting around the edge, you have to have those guys to win. They cover up so many other warts.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I seem to remember we always had a hard time getting D ends for our 4-3, where we had Nebraska native walkons locking down the spots.
Arguably, our yesterday D ends are some of our OLBs today.
The size and athleticism combination is a hot ticket.
We have players, we have coaches, they can develope some of them, but we need to heavy bangers.

I seem to remember we always had a hard time getting D ends for our 4-3, where we had Nebraska native walkons locking down the spots.
Arguably, our yesterday D ends are some of our OLBs today.
The size and athleticism combination is a hot ticket.
We have players, we have coaches, they can develope some of them, but we need to heavy bangers.

Really? I seem to recall the opposite. We have had some tremendous DE's go through the system in old days of the 4-3.

Last edited:
I won't be surprised if he ends up at Iowa st. . In the same way I wouldn't be surprised if we won a recruiting battle against Alabama for a wide receiver. The defense hasn't been good or even sound, for a long time...
I think you make a good point about our defensive performance, of which there were only a few quarters/halves that we looked ok on that side of the ball last year.

Defensively we should make a big step up this year, and that was much of the talk during spring ball too, but I think the results on the field do affect recruiting, both positively and negatively.

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
Personally I think the longer this draws out, the more it benefits us. Not saying he won’t commit to Iowa state, just feel like he would have announced already if the “home is where the heart is” concept was holding strong here

I think you make a good point about our defensive performance, of which there were only a few quarters/halves that we looked ok on that side of the ball last year.

Defensively we should make a big step up this year, and that was much of the talk during spring ball too, but I think the results on the field do affect recruiting, both positively and negatively.

I do not want to be a negative nellie but I will need to see it to believe it. We pretty much have the same guys this year as last with a few exceptions. Perhaps overall a bit more athletic. From my perspective last year we were taking chances and getting caught with poor angles, missed tackles and just plain being out of position. I was really frustrated when we would line up and nearly the entire middle of the field was wide open, QB's lick their chops when they see that. I don't know if it was a D that just was taking lots of chances to make the big play and cover up for lack of overall ability or just what but we are not very good and the stats bear that out.

Here's hoping this next year sees some positive changes, we certainly need them on that side of the ball. If we don't see improvement, it is going to be a long year, I don't care how good your O is. JMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: SC_'sker
I do not want to be a negative nellie but I will need to see it to believe it. We pretty much have the same guys this year as last with a few exceptions. Perhaps overall a bit more athletic. From my perspective last year we were taking chances and getting caught with poor angles, missed tackles and just plain being out of position. I was really frustrated when we would like up and nearly the entire middle of the field was wide open, QB's lick their chops when they see that. I don't know if it was a D that just was taking lots of chances to make the big play and cover up for lack of overall ability of just what but we are not very good and the stats bear that out.

Here's hoping this next year sees some positive changes, we certainly need them on that side of the ball. If we don't see improvement, it is going to be a long year, I don't care how good your O is. JMHO
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the attacking defensive scheme personally, but it can be played well. I think Michigan State plays a similar style.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the attacking defensive scheme personally, but it can be played well. I think Michigan State plays a similar style.

Well, there is a big difference between different D's that all attack. Just sending everyone in an uncontrolled way seems like attacking but it is more like guessing and hoping you guess right. When you don't, you get severely burned.

I do not want to be a negative nellie but I will need to see it to believe it. We pretty much have the same guys this year as last with a few exceptions. Perhaps overall a bit more athletic. From my perspective last year we were taking chances and getting caught with poor angles, missed tackles and just plain being out of position. I was really frustrated when we would like up and nearly the entire middle of the field was wide open, QB's lick their chops when they see that. I don't know if it was a D that just was taking lots of chances to make the big play and cover up for lack of overall ability of just what but we are not very good and the stats bear that out.

I agree we’ve been so pitiful on defense, that seeing is believing.
But optimism for me (beyond blind kool aid chugging) stems from:
1. losing no one from last year who is not easily replaced
2. second year in the scheme is huge -I saw a lot of the poor play from bad positioning/knowledge.
3. the extra year of S&C is a recipe for playing more stout
4. Culture: Frost is building a proper mentality after inheriting a broken team. It’s Nebraska and Frost is bringing back the blackshirts.

Why is it that when we return a huge number of offensive players, that those player are going to be automatically better? Then when we return a huge number of defensive players, the comments are more like, well they sucked last year they are probably going to suck again this year.

Do only offensive players get better? Is it because Frost is an offensive coach?

We have a redshirt freshman, often injured, former TE turned center, that is going to be a freshman All-American at Center, but there is absolutely no chance any defensive players get better. They sucked last year, they suck again this year.

Just an observation.

Really? I seem to recall the opposite. We have had some tremendous DE's go through the system in old days of the 4-3.
So, since RG, name all of our DEs.
Jack went what, two years as a starter? Then there was Dzuris.
In no way am I knocking those guys, but they played with Freedom, a converted tight end.
Now, do you see what I'm saying?

Reactions: GretnaShawn

When Mick went down,or played injured, our D line was undermanned.
The twins as tackles work, a tad small for length, but theyre fine.
Damion was not in top shape frosh spelling Mick, but tired quickly, and Carlos played out of position.
We should be much better at nose this year, provided no injuries happen.
It wasnt a coincidence wiscy struggled when their monster nose went down, and the frosh had to play.
Each and every starter or backup starter will be in better shape, slightly stronger and a little bigger this year, add experience, plus Darrian Daniels at nose, our line will be improved.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Why is it that when we return a huge number of offensive players, that those player are going to be automatically better? Then when we return a huge number of defensive players, the comments are more like, well they sucked last year they are probably going to suck again this year.

Do only offensive players get better? Is it because Frost is an offensive coach?

We have a redshirt freshman, often injured, former TE turned center, that is going to be a freshman All-American at Center, but there is absolutely no chance any defensive players get better. They sucked last year, they suck again this year.

Just an observation.

Probably because folks don't have much faith in Chins but have an abundance of faith in Frost.

Probably because folks don't have much faith in Chins but have an abundance of faith in Frost.

this is Scott Frost's defense - he is the head coach and ultimately responsible for the defense

Scott Frost, as of 2018, is paying his defensive coordinator the 3rd highest salary amongst def coordinators in the conference and the highest salary of any assistant coach in the BIG other than Michigan or Ohio State (Penn State doesn't report)

not having faith in the defensive coordinator is essentially saying we do not have confidence in Frost operating in the capacity of a head coach as opposed to an over paid offensive coordinator

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Last edited:

Just an observation.
Right, I think Frost and his offense has a history of success, so people just assume if we are getting returning guys it can only get better. So far the D side of the ball has been nothing special. Not just last year but under Chin in general even at UCF. So I think people are a bit more hesitant to get excited about the defense no matter who is returning. D needs to step up.

I think that the D wins.
At ucf, were they great run stoppers? Not really, were they killers in the back end? They intercepted a ton of passes, but gave up big plays.
But, they put the pressure on when needed, created fumbles, and got interceptions when needed.
On the other side, the offense responded in kind by scoring.
Its a different style no doubt, but, if we get enough playmakers, I could see it much like bamas D a few years back where getting interceptions were almost a guarantee, but you need steady pressure on every play, and tfls to ruin a run heavy attack.
We get that, it could resemble that bama defense, I think SF sees this, has gotten some of it at ucf, we just havnt seen much of it here yet.

Folks, this is going to be only the coaches 2nd year at Nebraska and they only had two years at Central Florida (obviously their 2nd year went well) so that's not a very long track record for any of them. They never got their own recruits to fully staff any team so we need to be patient and see how it plays out. Hopefully good on both sides of the ball but very early for sure. Winking

Just an observation.

Which side got way better last year compared to 17?

I understand the wait and see approach, and have no problem with it.

I don’t understand the wait and see how bad our defense will be again because of Chinander. I don’t understand why some can’t give the guy a chance to field a defense with his own recruited guys on the field.

Right, I think Frost and his offense has a history of success, so people just assume if we are getting returning guys it can only get better. So far the D side of the ball has been nothing special. Not just last year but under Chin in general even at UCF. So I think people are a bit more hesitant to get excited about the defense no matter who is returning. D needs to step up.

There is a huge difference between "not getting excited" and "this player sucked last year so he will always suck".

The center isn't a returning center. He is a recruited TE that is being compared to a player that has a freaking trophy named after him.

I just find it funny is all.

Why would anyone be excited about the Hutmacher commitment, he is just going to come here and suck anyway. Right??? ha ha ha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT