ADVERTISEMENT

Blaise Gunnerson recovery time?

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
I know Blaise is out of the AA game because of the hip surgery.
He’s an early enrollee and I was wondering if anyone knew if he’s expected to be cleared in time for spring ball?

Reactions: baseball31ne
He's now had both hips operated on. I read overgrown hip bones which f up his labrums. Had one done, causing him to miss his jr year and now his other one now.

I will be surprised if he ever sees the field!

we didn’t need to hear what you hope. See that’s the biggest difference between Husker fans and you Iowa fans. We actually wish our home state players the best...even if they are playing at Iowa. We see your true colors...but hurt

hopefully he heals quick. He’s the Garrett Nelson of this class with a little more talent then Nelson.

Not sure about Nelson, but Blaise has the frame to play DE in a 3-4. Blaise can easily gain 30 lbs of muscle at 6'6 and not lose much athleticism. Reminds me of Loran Kaiser.

I had that surgery dun, 3 times, and if you Google it you'll find many people who had that surgery and it failed...Iowa fan has at least a 50/50 shot of being right predicting the kid will never see the field again....BTW, all 3 of mine failed and I eventually just got a new hip. Having said all that...going on another teams board to say the kid will never play again is a punk move.

I had that surgery dun, 3 times, and if you Google it you'll find many people who had that surgery and it failed...Iowa fan has at least a 50/50 shot of being right predicting the kid will never see the field again....BTW, all 3 of mine failed and I eventually just got a new hip.

Well thanks for inspiring news. Anyone else with an uplifting and positive prognostication??

Well thanks for inspiring news. Anyone else with an uplifting and positive prognostication??

Well, to be honest, and I didn't know it at the time, it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I won't bore you with the details, but it became very obvious to me as I was on that journey that that experience was being used in a way I didn't see at the time, and it ended up being one of the best things that ever happened to me and I would not be the guy I am today and a lot of things would have been different had I not experienced it....so while it might read as a downer, it was the exact opposite. Who knows what this kids journey is to be, but if it's meant to be that he's on the field creating havoc, he'll be there doing just that.

Reactions: Junior Hoogland
I will be surprised if he ever sees the field!
giphy.gif

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I had that surgery dun, 3 times, and if you Google it you'll find many people who had that surgery and it failed...Iowa fan has at least a 50/50 shot of being right predicting the kid will never see the field again....BTW, all 3 of mine failed and I eventually just got a new hip. Having said all that...going on another teams board to say the kid will never play again is a punk move.
The question is though when did you have yours done and how much damage was done to you joints before you had it done? The condition is called a congenital impingement and IF you have the surgery at a young age your odds of having it be completely successful are MUCH higher. I should have had my left hip done when I was his age but this wasn't commonly done back then as far as I know. My orthopedic surgeon said that IF I would have had mine fixed in my early 20s I would have probably never needed a hip replacement. I don't believe this surgery will hamper his prospects at all given his age. This is a preventative measure rather than a measure to try to reduce pain or restore function. Big difference.

Reactions: headcard
The question is though when did you have yours done and how much damage was done to you joints before you had it done? The condition is called a congenital impingement and IF you have the surgery at a young age your odds of having it be completely successful are MUCH higher. I should have had my left hip done when I was his age but this wasn't commonly done back then as far as I know. My orthopedic surgeon said that IF I would have had mine fixed in my early 20s I would have probably never needed a hip replacement. I don't believe this surgery will hamper his prospects at all given his age. This is a preventative measure rather than a measure to try to reduce pain or restore function. Big difference.

There are few things I can speak with authority on, and this is one of them. It's a mixed bag of results for most people. Doesn't mean you can't walk again or have to have your leg amputated or anything like that....but to play a high level of D-1 football afterwards seems like a long shot to me, but I am rooting for him, I'm even going to pray for him.

There are few things I can speak with authority on, and this is one of them. It's a mixed bag of results for most people. Doesn't mean you can't walk again or have to have your leg amputated or anything like that....but to play a high level of D-1 football afterwards seems like a long shot to me, but I am rooting for him, I'm even going to pray for him.
At what age did you have yours done? There can be a huge difference in the technical skill of any given surgeon as well. A friend's daughter just had both hips operated on was out of dance for only a few months. I'm not talking little girls tap. I'm talking big time competitive dance and ballet. She's got scholarship offers to some of the most prestigious dance academies in the country. I realize there's some difference, but a lot depends on the age when the surgery is done and whether or not there's damage already to the articular cartilage. Obviously no surgery on a hip or shoulder is a good thing, but I think your personal experience is skewing your view.

I'll view it as a positive sign that he had one hip done a couple years ago and played successfully last year. Assuming its the other hip now, anyway.

At what age did you have yours done? There can be a huge difference in the technical skill of any given surgeon as well. A friend's daughter just had both hips operated on was out of dance for only a few months. I'm not talking little girls tap. I'm talking big time competitive dance and ballet. She's got scholarship offers to some of the most prestigious dance academies in the country. I realize there's some difference, but a lot depends on the age when the surgery is done and whether or not there's damage already to the articular cartilage. Obviously no surgery on a hip or shoulder is a good thing, but I think your personal experience is skewing your view.

Awesome!!! Very glad to hear that. Not sure exactly what she had done, but I would be very very surprised if it's what we're talking about here...usually you're on crutches for 2+ months, hard to believe somebody would be doing that type of dance with this surgery so soon afterwards...but I'm glad to read her surgery was successful and she can continue to do that, nothing worse than having to give something up you have such a passion for that requires a healthy body. I'm also well aware of technical skill varies between surgeons...I was 43 or 44 when my journey started. I'm 51 now. FYI...just so we're clear, I root for everyone's surgery to be successful, especially somebody as young as the people we're talking about here, regardless of who they play football for, I'm just saying it isn't a given it always works. FAI surgery is tricky, and we humans sometimes ask for things we think we need, when somebody else has a different plan for us. Like I said, if it's meant to be, it will be.

How old were you, and isn't the procedures improving, besides his history of success with the prior procedure? Sorry posted too soon.
Sorry to hear about your situation post op

Awesome!!! Very glad to hear that. Not sure exactly what she had done, but I would be very very surprised if it's what we're talking about here...usually you're on crutches for 2+ months, hard to believe somebody would be doing that type of dance with this surgery so soon afterwards...but I'm glad to read her surgery was successful and she can continue to do that, nothing worse than having to give something up you have such a passion for that requires a healthy body. I'm also well aware of technical skill varies between surgeons...I was 43 or 44 when my journey started. I'm 51 now. FYI...just so we're clear, I root for everyone's surgery to be successful, especially somebody as young as the people we're talking about here, regardless of who they play football for, I'm just saying it isn't a given it always works. FAI surgery is tricky, and we humans sometimes ask for things we think we need, when somebody else has a different plan for us. Like I said, if it's meant to be, it will be.
You had yours done too late to expect much in the way of restorative results IMO. Usually by the time somebody reaches their 40s you're talking palliative (alleviation of pain) results versus the prevention of degenerative joint disease. I had irreversible degenerative changes in my hip at 40 and had a replacement at 50 because of my impingement. There's a HUGE difference in the prognosis for that surgery in an 18-20 year old versus a 40 year old.

ADVERTISEMENT