ADVERTISEMENT

Blackshirts

How many blackshirts are handed out before playing the buckeyes?

Votes: 3 3.5%

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • 12-14

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • 15 +

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • No blackshirts until they prove themselves against an opponent

Votes: 29 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here is where you've gotta trust Frost. These are his guys, he knows how to motivate them while also keeping traditions alive. He could have them wear pinkskirts for all I care. Just restore the order.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It looks like the early depth chart still has 7 of the 11 defensive starters as Riley recruits

For the person that says only hand out 11.The team could come out in a base 3-4. Then spend most of the game out of b/c of what the opponent is showing. That player or 2 that wasn't on the field the first snap "starter" but played a large chunk of the game and maybe more then a starter. Friendly observation

I have seen the coaches have been considering playing Nick Henrichs at OLB to give them more options there. Personally I love the idea....
Doesn't sound too good to me. We're fairly thin at ILB so the only reason you move Henrich to OLB is if nobody is developing there.

Doesn't sound too good to me. We're fairly thin at ILB so the only reason you move Henrich to OLB is if nobody is developing there.

How could that not sound good. If that gets our best LBs all on the field, then so be it but that’s assuming Honas and Miller are holding Henrichs off as a ILB starter.

I’d honestly rather have Nick Henrichs playing instead of Tannor and Nelson to be honest. But nothing has happened yet, it was something they were thinking about apparently via Ruud.

Tradition would be to give 11 starters their blackshirts Monday of game week..
That's not how things work anymore. There's nickle formation and rotation guys who might play just as much as the starters. I think they're just as deserving of earning a blackshirt.

How could that not sound good. If that gets our best LBs all on the field, then so be it but that’s assuming Honas and Miller are holding Henrichs off as a ILB starter.

I’d honestly rather have Nick Henrichs playing instead of Tannor and Nelson to be honest. But nothing has happened yet, it was something they were thinking about apparently via Ruud.
I doubt Henrich could hold up as well on the line compared to Nelson, and I don't think Henrich is that good in pass coverage. Maybe he could do well in the pass rush but I think he's better suited for ILB.

I doubt Henrich could hold up as well on the line compared to Nelson, and I don't think Henrich is that good in pass coverage. Maybe he could do well in the pass rush but I think he's better suited for ILB.

He may not be as strong but I’d be willing to bet Henrichs is better overall then Nelson from top to bottom as a LB. My honest opinion, I think Nelson needs to add 25-35 pounds and play DE. Pass coverage and speed isn’t his thing. But he’d be a killer 270-280 pound DE.

But I will not deny Nick Henrichs is perfect for ILB, 100% agreed. BUT if they can get Nick Henrichs on the field along with Domann, Miller and Honas (assuming Miller and Honas can hold him off as the starting ILBs), then I say go for it. Get our best possible LBs out there on the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
He may not be as strong but I’d be willing to bet Henrichs is better overall then Nelson from top to bottom as a LB. My honest opinion, I think Nelson needs to add 25-35 pounds and play DE. Pass coverage and speed isn’t his thing. But he’d be a killer 270-280 pound DE.

But I will not deny Nick Henrichs is perfect for ILB, 100% agreed. BUT if they can get Nick Henrichs on the field along with Domann, Miller and Honas (assuming Miller and Honas can hold him off as the starting ILBs), then I say go for it. Get our best possible LBs out there on the field.
What makes you think Henrich is better than Nelson?

What makes you think Henrich is better than Nelson?

Lol that ones easy. There’s a reason why one was a 3 star and the other was a Top 100 player (ranked 92 via 24/7) with offers from the big boys. My Man, I get it. Your a fan of Nelson and so am I. He’s got a great motor and I love drive he has. He’s got a motor that wont quite and he’s got a drive to be the best and never give up.

But there is a reason why the coaches are looking into and thinking about playing Henrichs at OLB to give them more talent there. So it’s not just my opinion my man. Nelson, like Caleb Tannor, made mistakes and he is limited when it comes to pass coverage and helping out in that area. This isn’t my opinion, this is something Dawson, Ruud and Chin are looking into and thinking about doing.

Edited: oh and I doubt it’s a permanent move. My guess, it’s just for this season if they indeed do it and then move Henrichs back next year to ILB. But then again, nothing is official yet, it’s just something they are talking about and thinking about doing. Remember, Nick Henrichs coming out of High School was an OLB.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Lol that ones easy. There’s a reason why one was a 3 star and the other was a Top 100 player (ranked 92 via 24/7) with offers from the big boys. My Man, I get it. Your a fan of Nelson and so am I. He’s got a great motor and I love drive he has. He’s got a motor that wont quite and he’s got a drive to be the best and never give up.

But there is a reason why the coaches are looking into and thinking about playing Henrichs at OLB to give them more talent there. So it’s not just my opinion my man. Nelson, like Caleb Tannor, made mistakes and he is limited when it comes to pass coverage and helping out in that area. This isn’t my opinion, this is something Dawson, Ruud and Chin are looking into and thinking about doing.

Edited: oh and I doubt it’s a permanent move. My guess, it’s just for this season if they indeed do it and then move Henrichs back next year to ILB. But then again, nothing is official yet, it’s just something they are talking about and thinking about doing. Remember, Nick Henrichs coming out of High School was an OLB.

How has Henrich looked in Big Ten games?

Reactions: oldjar07
That's not how things work anymore. There's nickle formation and rotation guys who might play just as much as the starters. I think they're just as deserving of earning a blackshirt.

If the staff wants to give them out for certain down and distance situations I have no problem with handing out the proper amount which is needed..

Nothing is written in stone that only 11 can have Blackshirts, sure McBride has more than 11 in the 90’s..

He’s got a motor that wont quite and he’s got a drive to be the best and never give up.

Nelson is only a freshman - lots of time to develop - however, if I recall, he saw some time in the Iowa game last year and it became quickly apparent he was out of his element

Last edited:
so did Rudy Ruettiger

Nelson is only a freshman - lots of time to develop - however, if I recall, he saw some time in the Iowa game last year and it became quickly apparent he was out of his element
Joe Montana said the players carrying Rudy off the field did it as a joke.

his recollection of Rudy is hilarious (they played together at ND, though Rudy is 8 years older).

an actual comparison between Nelson and Rudy, while on brand for someone who loves the smell of their own farts as much as you, is quite a stretch.

Joe Montana said the players carrying Rudy off the field did it as a joke.

his recollection of Rudy is hilarious (they played together at ND, though Rudy is 8 years older).

an actual comparison between Nelson and Rudy, while on brand for someone who loves the smell of their own farts as much as you, is quite a stretch.

gonna take an L on that for me

my comment about Rudy applied only to the generic statement about motor/drive etc and not equating Rudy with Nelson - although I can see where it could easily be interpreted that way - thank you for calling it out - my bad

will edit the post

gonna take an L on that for me

my comment about Rudy applied only to the statement about motor/drive etc and not equating Rudy with Nelson - although I can see where it could easily be interpreted that way - my bad

will edit the post
having a motor is good, as long as Nelson can set the edge and it doesn't drag him out of position, which it did many times in games last year.

hopefully another year of technique and S&C helps. plus Dawson.

Iowa has made our whole front 7 look like trash the last few years. Again Nelson was a true freshman, but he held up very well on the line most games and played sound assignment football on almost every snap which is more than you can say for a lot of the other guys on defense, including many starters.

having a motor is good, as long as Nelson can set the edge and it doesn't drag him out of position, which it did many times in games last year.

hopefully another year of technique and S&C helps. plus Dawson.
I don't know if you saw the same thing I was seeing. Nelson has great technique already as an underclassman. He did a good job setting the edge last season, much better than any other guy we had at that position. The biggest thing I could critique him on is that he needs to know when he can go make a play, because he had excellent position and leverage on his guy most of the time. He just needs to learn how to use that leverage to go make a play on the ball carrier. That will come with time and experience and I think we'll see that this year Nelson starts to emerge as a playmaker.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I don't know if you saw the same thing I was seeing. Nelson has great technique already as an underclassman. He did a good job setting the edge last season, much better than any other guy we had at that position. The biggest thing I could critique him on is that he needs to know when he can go make a play, because he had excellent position and leverage on his guy most of the time. He just needs to learn how to use that leverage to go make a play on the ball carrier. That will come with time and experience and I think we'll see that this year Nelson starts to emerge as a playmaker.
I think we're largely in agreement. couple times he lost leverage and ball carriers got to the edge (purdue game comes to mind), but I think that's mostly awareness.

effort is A+ every down. can't coach that. just needs to channel it a little more.

Reactions: oldjar07

I'd like to at least see Henrich take a snap in a college football game before I can pass judgment on how good he is. Nelson got on the field as a true freshman and played well as a true freshman, so in my eyes he's the better player right now.

I think we're largely in agreement. couple times he lost leverage and ball carriers got to the edge (purdue game comes to mind), but I think that's mostly awareness.

effort is A+ every down. can't coach that. just needs to channel it a little more.
Yeah a few time he seemed to try to be making a play when he should have been just maintaining his assignment, and he got beat as a result. He needs to learn the difference between when he can leave his assignment and go make the play, and when he just needs to stay on his assignment. That'll come with experience, so I'm not too worried about it.

I will say however that our whole team is pretty bad at knowing the difference between when to go make a play and when to stay on your assignment. At least Nelson is a player that does play sound assignment football. A lot of players are not even capable of executing their assignment properly, so they spend the majority of the play just attempting to do that. And you can forget about making a play on the ball if you can't even execute your basic assignments correctly. This has been the biggest problem on our defense the last couple years. Nelson already has that first step down. I think it's only a matter of time before he turns from sound assignment football into a playmaker.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I'd like to at least see Henrich take a snap in a college football game before I can pass judgment on how good he is. Nelson got on the field as a true freshman and played well as a true freshman, so in my eyes he's the better player right now.
Yeah on Huskersonline radio today Sean Callahan and Robin said they are trying Nich Henrichs, Garrett Snodgrass, and P Payne all at OLB. They are definitely trying to find away to get the most out of our OLBs this year.

Like Sean said on the podcast radio, our Dline has been solid, teams haven’t been running at our Dline (outside OSU that ran at anyone and everyone) but they’d attack our OLBs that had trouble setting the edges and stopping the run.

Now I won’t go out and guarantee Nick Henrichs is better then Nelson but dude has everything you need for an elite lvl LB. not so much with Nelson. He’s a big, strong dude and that has none stop motor. But lacks in speed and makes wrong reads, quite a bit. Put it this way, if he was as good as you think and all that....then why are the coaches looking at moving Jackson Hannah, G. Snodgrass P Payne and N Henrichs to OLB (some probably temporarily)...Just making a point, there’s a reason for it...

So no offense to anyone but Nelson and Tannor both made ton of mistakes last year and so far they must not being getting the job done because Dawson is looking else where. I like Nelson to but he wasn’t exactly killing it last year and the coaches looking at other players for this season only proves it.

Last edited:

just please remember, I’m not hating on Nelson or Tannor. I’m just passing along what the coaches are doing and what’s being said. Dawson is desperately trying to elevate our OLB play and now he’s looking at Jackson Hannah, G Snodgrass, P Payne and Nick Henrichs for help. It’s nothing personal to Nelson from my stand point, I like the dude. But it’s not looking good for Tannor or Nelson....

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea. But u have to guess if they are thinking about it then they are contest ILB while NOT being comfortable at OLB. Maybe they think he gets on the field faster there.

While I agree he probably won't stop the run like Nelson but imo there is no way in hell he will be worse than Nelson in coverage... Absolutely no way.

Holla

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT