ADVERTISEMENT

Blackshirts

Looks like things are getting a little closer to normal.

That is exactly what the blackshirt tradition was about. Pass them out to the starters and then let guys that don't have them work hard to earn them later on. When you hear Jason Peter talk about what it was like to see other players get blackshirts and the fact that it fueled him to work harder to earn one. It is about creating pride and competition. Not a reward or punishment for play on the field.

That is exactly what the blackshirt tradition was about. Pass them out to the starters and then let guys that don't have them work hard to earn them later on. When you hear Jason Peter talk about what it was like to see other players get blackshirts and the fact that it fueled him to work harder to earn one. It is about creating pride and competition. Not a reward or punishment for play on the field.

True although I believe Peter played both sides of that fence. I believe he was one of the voices talking about handing them in during the Pelini and cosgrove dark days

Let them wear black or white, I don't care. I just want the D to start playing the part again. McKewon's write up this morning about his interview with Chris Spielman pretty much hits the nail on the head. Our D can wear whatever color jersey it wants, but it needs to tackle better more than anything. Bo's issue wasn't handing out black jersey's or following tradition. His issue was coaching up the D on how to simply tackle or as Spielman put it “The object is to get in good position, wrap up and put his ass on the ground.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewo...cle_e1d47dc4-e78e-5d52-a1e0-5c34ed085a61.html

ADVERTISEMENT