ADVERTISEMENT

Black Friday: The End & Iowa's view of why

Herkmeister

Dec 17, 2006
As a Hawkeye I really hate seeing this game end. Thought some of you might like to see what's on the Iowa board. We believe your AD and Mediocre Mike are to blame.

Beat me up all you'd like but I'm pulling for Nebraska to get it together like Penn State has done and climb the College Football Mountain again. You're not headed that way with your current admin and coaching staff. IMHO

SHOULD IOWA CONTINUE TO PLAY ON BLACK FRIDAY?

When we heard that the Big Ten would be releasing the conference football schedule for 2020 and 2021 on Tuesday afternoon, most thought it would be a pretty boring event from an Iowa perspective. Really the only drama would surround any early September conference games and if Michigan and Ohio State would be on the schedule.

Little did we know that the biggest news would be that Iowa vs. Wisconsin would now be the season ending game for the Hawkeyes, replacing the building rivalry between Iowa and Nebraska on Black Friday every year. I was skeptical of the Black Friday game early on, but like Kirk Ferentz, I’ve grown to enjoy the game being played the day after Thanksgiving. The Iowa/Nebraska game will end, at least for now, in 2019 and it’s on to Wisconsin, which is another trophy game.

On Tuesday, Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said that the schools could petition the Big Ten to move the game to Black Friday in 2020 and 2021 and I think that’s actually a pretty good idea. The TV window on that afternoon has drawn pretty strong ratings the past two seasons and that can only help recruiting. You have to think the Nebraska will be under a lot of pressure to also move their contest against Minnesota to Black Friday, but their head coach and athletic director seem to be willing to let that Nebraska tradition end. Barry Alverez has always been a pretty innovative AD when it comes to scheduling and my sense is he would be open to jumping into the Friday afternoon TV window and Iowa should be too.

The Black Friday games in the Big 10 should be; Iowa/Minnesota, Indiana/Purdue, Illinois/Northwestern, and Ohio State/Michigan. These are some of the longtime rivalry games in the Big 10. Nebraska and all the rest will finish up their season the week prior to Thanksgiving. This will create a week off before the conference title game which would serve as a nice break and a extra week to prepare for the title game IF the Huskers win the west.

Odd for this old timer to see mid-tier Iowa and lower-than-that Minnesota positioned as Nebraska's rival. Good lord.

As a Hawkeye I really hate seeing this game end. Thought some of you might like to see what's on the Iowa board. We believe your AD and Mediocre Mike are to blame.

Beat me up all you'd like but I'm pulling for Nebraska to get it together like Penn State has done and climb the College Football Mountain again. You're not headed that way with your current admin and coaching staff. IMHO

When we heard that the Big Ten would be releasing the conference football schedule for 2020 and 2021 on Tuesday afternoon, most thought it would be a pretty boring event from an Iowa perspective. Really the only drama would surround any early September conference games and if Michigan and Ohio State would be on the schedule.

Little did we know that the biggest news would be that Iowa vs. Wisconsin would now be the season ending game for the Hawkeyes, replacing the building rivalry between Iowa and Nebraska on Black Friday every year. I was skeptical of the Black Friday game early on, but like Kirk Ferentz, I’ve grown to enjoy the game being played the day after Thanksgiving. The Iowa/Nebraska game will end, at least for now, in 2019 and it’s on to Wisconsin, which is another trophy game.

On Tuesday, Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said that the schools could petition the Big Ten to move the game to Black Friday in 2020 and 2021 and I think that’s actually a pretty good idea. The TV window on that afternoon has drawn pretty strong ratings the past two seasons and that can only help recruiting. You have to think the Nebraska will be under a lot of pressure to also move their contest against Minnesota to Black Friday, but their head coach and athletic director seem to be willing to let that Nebraska tradition end. Barry Alverez has always been a pretty innovative AD when it comes to scheduling and my sense is he would be open to jumping into the Friday afternoon TV window and Iowa should be too.
Thanks for appointing yourself as the voice of Iowa.

Edit: and if you are citing a source, you should include the link. Then at least I will know you aren't the self-appointed voice of all Iowa fans.

Last edited:
I like the opinion that this move was done in preparation of Oklahoma coming to the B1G, and NU/OU renewing their rivalry

GBR

Reactions: MikeRileyGBR
Should play Oklahoma every year on black Friday. If it has to be a Big foe, it should be Penn St with Wisconsin as second choice. Iowa has no business being in this slot for Nebraska.

Should play Oklahoma every year on black Friday. If it has to be a Big foe, it should be Penn St with Wisconsin as second choice. Iowa has no business being in this slot for Nebraska.

Why does Iowa have no business being in this slot? Isn't this the same Iowa that has won the last two of these games and in the last one steamrolled the Huskers? Your comment makes no sense.

Reactions: terrehawk
The older I got the less I cared about Nebraska playing on that Friday. It appears the Big 10 has more faith in Wisconsin and Iowa being in the hunt for the west division championship, so that should tell us all something about our status in the conference.

Don't see this happening.

Agreed, OU will never...ever...be in the Big Ten.

In regards to the red print from the original post

I agree with the red print. Our AD and coach could have done more to keep the Black Friday game, and chose not to.

As for OU joining the Big Ten... It will NEVER happen. ever...

Why does Iowa have no business being in this slot? Isn't this the same Iowa that has won the last two of these games and in the last one steamrolled the Huskers? Your comment makes no sense.

Yea we've really dominated them since joining the conference.

Agreed, OU will never...ever...be in the Big Ten.

In regards to the red print from the original post

I agree with the red print. Our AD and coach could have done more to keep the Black Friday game, and chose not to.

As for OU joining the Big Ten... It will NEVER happen. ever...

And if Nebraska was what they used to be, their push might have mattered. If I were Delaney and Eichorst showed some displeasure, I could see him being like a judge and saying, "Objection noted, OVERRULED."
If you want to treated like an elite program you need to produce like an elite program. Nebraska hasn't been and isn't right now.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I like the opinion that this move was done in preparation of Oklahoma coming to the B1G, and NU/OU renewing their rivalry

GBR

I'd love that.

The Oklahoma Dance on your N would be fun to watch.

Come on Jay, fix your problem first, then get the big game back. I'm all for it. But you'd give up 70+ to Oklahoma this year and continue to reveal your problems with Mediocre Mike.

They are rotating the opponent every two years if I read the article correctly,
2020-2021 Nebraska vs Minnesota
2022-2023 Nebraska vs Wisconsin
2018-2019 Nebraska vs Iowa

When the game warrants, I could clearly see the game being moved to Friday.

I don't care about playing on Black Friday and I don't care about keeping Iowa as a manufactured rival. One good thing about it is that Iowa will slip to a midseason foe, which makes it a reasonable road trip for college kids. They are the closest opponent, and most kids are going to head home over the Thanksgiving break. Make it a 2:30 game, and it's a nice little day trip.

Reactions: Arbitr8

Edit: and if you are citing a source, you should include the link. Then at least I will know you aren't the self-appointed voice of all Iowa fans.

Here. This sums up any chance you & I will ever have of communicating. :(

Reactions: terrehawk
I don't care about playing on Black Friday and I don't care about keeping Iowa as a manufactured rival. One good thing about it is that Iowa will slip to a midseason foe, which makes it a reasonable road trip for college kids. They are the closest opponent, and most kids are going to head home over the Thanksgiving break. Make it a 2:30 game, and it's a nice little day trip.

I agree. But I will say this, of all manufactured rivals, you are my favorite of all time!! I just wish beating you meant what it did in the old days. :(

GBR = God Bless Riley

I agree. But I will say this, of all manufactured rivals, you are my favorite of all time!! I just wish beating you meant what it did in the old days. :(

GBR = God Bless Riley
Be careful what you wish for... if we get back to the old days, you won't beat us very much...

There are plenty of Iowa fans, even a few who frequent this board, that I get along with just fine. They come respectfully, and we are able to communicate easily.

The fault lies with you if we aren't able to ever communicate.

I'll try harder. It was this line in your post that seemed to indicate a lack of communication.

For you to have assumed I'd appointed myself as the voice of Iowa seemed more than a bit assumptive and lead me to think your communication skills lacked balance.

My bad.

Reactions: timnsun

Learn a little college football history and then you may get a clue.

Those must be some really old days, because I don't recall Iowa ever beating us when it mattered.

I'll try harder. It was this line in your post that seemed to indicate a lack of communication.

For you to have assumed I'd appointed myself as the voice of Iowa seemed more than a bit assumptive and lead me to think your communication skills lacked balance.

My bad.
Fair enough... I've seen enough of your posts on this board that I came across poorly. At the same time, I freely admit I didn't read the post very closely and assumed you were lecturing us again.

After reading it more thoroughly, I sensed that you didn't write it yourself, but pasted it from somewhere else, hence my edit.

I guess I liked the Friday game for NU because when they started doing this (about 1990 I believe) NU was relevant and got to play Oklahoma then CU.
The game hasn't had big time national significance for NU since the day the music died in 2001. Since NU joined the B1G they have no rival....a ship adrift.

B1G likely wants to put on Friday match ups that garner national interest/have division champion implications...be a team that matters and you get respect...If you don't matter you don't get respect...It really is that simple.

Reactions: saluno22

Two things came to my mind immediately when I read about the change in scheduling; A. The Big Ten thinks Iowa-Wisconsin will be a better game to showcase that last weekend B. Either the Big Ten or Eichorst and/or Riley don't care about another Nebraska tradition. How many years have the Huskers played either on Thanksgving or the day after?

Two things came to my mind immediately when I read about the change in scheduling; A. The Big Ten thinks Iowa-Wisconsin will be a better game to showcase that last weekend B. Either the Big Ten or Eichorst and/or Riley don't care about another Nebraska tradition. How many years have the Huskers played either on Thanksgving or the day after?

Looooong time... not sure really... and don't have the time to look it up.

As an Iowa fan I was really liking how the Iowa/Nebraska series was positioned on black Friday. But really, as a college football fan I agree with this poster. There's really no reason it couldn't happen with the conference moving conference games into the first few weeks. And Keeping with tradition, Iowa/Wisconsin or Iowa/Minnesota probably does make more sense in the last week than Iowa/Nebraska anyway.

Of course, the Big 12 may have a thing or two to say about that. I'm going to enjoy our last few Black Friday matchups though. Aside from Nebraska's first year in the league, I don't think a single one of them has been a foregone conclusion before kickoff.

Statement from Shawn Eichorst

From NU Media Relations:

“I want to clarify Nebraska’s position regarding the dates of our season-ending football games in 2020 and 2021 as announced earlier this week by the Big Ten Conference. At this time no final decision has been made on what dates these two games will actually be played. As in past years, the Big Ten releases opponent matchups and typically assigns these match-ups to Saturday. That has been the case in the past when we agreed to move our season ending games against Iowa from Saturday to Friday.

“Moving forward we will do everything possible to maintain our tradition of playing games on the Friday after Thanksgiving. We look forward to playing Iowa on the Friday after Thanksgiving through 2019.”

Learn a little college football history and then you may get a clue.

I know my college football history very well thank you. Nebraska is not the Nebraska of old and unfortunately that is all the Nebraska program is right now, a great history far removed and there is no likelihood to recapture success in the near future. Do you pay attention to other teams? Do you see a top 10 finish in the next 3 years? Not with MM at the helm, its not going to happen. Nebraska is on a downward spiral and will remian there with MM at the helm.

Please someone get us out of this shti conference.
I just don't understand posts like this. Like the Big 12 was sooooo much better... people are still waiting for the conference to explode.

I am glad we are here, even if we have lost rivalries. We will develop new ones.

Reactions: CDMXHusker
ADVERTISEMENT