ADVERTISEMENT

Bill to allow NCAA athletes to form unions

Each conference would be a bargaining unit.

Can't see how this could go wrong 🤣

First time I heard of this but not surprised.

This is not good
Considering the B1G Ten Makes the most money, it isn't all bad.

Unions are the current "thing" being emphasized by the dems. It puts everyone in the drivers seat right?

Unions were what allowed common hardworking people to be treated fairly by their employers. It is nothing about Republican, or Democrat, it is simply getting a fair wage for competent work.

Unions are why we have a weekend. Unions are why hourly workers get overtime pay after 40 hours per week.

You can believe what you want about Unions, but every worker in America can thank organized labor for many of the benefits they now expect, including paid holidays.

That said, seems silly to organize when you are given a quarter million dollar education, plus training table, top health care, etc.

College athletics are heading straight out of Colleges.

I could argue that Unions distort the free market. My Dad was in a union, made really good money doing a blue collar job that any chimp with minimal training could do. It's like the ppl 20 years ago that made 60k on a car manufacturers assembly line.. ridiculously over priced for that labor back then.

You could argue that we don't live in a free open market, and I would agree with you, but on principle, Unions distort labor prices, just as illegal immigration distorts labor prices to the downside.

Do you think politicians letting in all these illegals are for altruistic purposes? Heck no, businesses are paying politicians on both sides big money to get this illegal 'slave' labor. So your own govt is working against the best interests of it's people. This is called corruption, and the people in the middle are going to get squeezed and abused again. They always do.

As to benefits, the rest of the world has more vacation days and works less hours per week than the US does. But I chalk that up to culture more than anything else. There is no doubt the US is a big meat grinder of human labor, but so many people don't see it because it's been embedded in the history and culture.

In regards to college football, I think the long term prospects are going to be in decline. There very well could be a separation between athletics and universities. The NFL needs some kind of feeder league, so something will exist to that end, but who knows what it will look like.

I also think soccer is going to become the new football in this country, as the country continues to absorb new foreign cultures, (not the other way around). All these new foreign cultures will collectively marginalize our own. But isn't that already happening?

I would love to see a true open free market, and let those solutions to problems naturally resolve themselves, but in order to have this, you need really small government. Currently, I see that trending the other way.

I could argue that Unions distort the free market. My Dad was in a union, made really good money doing a blue collar job that any chimp with minimal training could do. It's like the ppl 20 years ago that made 60k on a car manufacturers assembly line.. ridiculously over priced for that labor back then.

You could argue that we don't live in a free open market, and I would agree with you, but on principle, Unions distort labor prices, just as illegal immigration distorts labor prices to the downside.

Do you think politicians letting in all these illegals are for altruistic purposes? Heck no, businesses are paying politicians on both sides big money to get this illegal 'slave' labor. So your own govt is working against the best interests of it's people. This is called corruption, and the people in the middle are going to get squeezed and abused again. They always do.

As to benefits, the rest of the world has more vacation days and works less hours per week than the US does. But I chalk that up to culture more than anything else. There is no doubt the US is a big meat grinder of human labor, but so many people don't see it because it's been embedded in the history and culture.

In regards to college football, I think the long term prospects are going to be in decline. There very well could be a separation between athletics and universities. The NFL needs some kind of feeder league, so something will exist to that end, but who knows what it will look like.

I also think soccer is going to become the new football in this country, as the country continues to absorb new foreign cultures, (not the other way around). All these new foreign cultures will collectively marginalize our own. But isn't that already happening?

I would love to see a true open free market, and let those solutions to problems naturally resolve themselves, but in order to have this, you need really small government. Currently, I see that trending the other way.
People aren't fundamentally ideologically tied. They prefer outcomes to ideology. If I can can get to a desired outcome using my preferred ideology great. If I can't my chosen representative is going to make some pretzel logic move on the campaign trail or house floor to justify getting me there via some other means and attempt to portray it as consistent.

Unions were what allowed common hardworking people to be treated fairly by their employers. It is nothing about Republican, or Democrat, it is simply getting a fair wage for competent work.

Unions are why we have a weekend. Unions are why hourly workers get overtime pay after 40 hours per week.

You can believe what you want about Unions, but every worker in America can thank organized labor for many of the benefits they now expect, including paid holidays.

That said, seems silly to organize when you are given a quarter million dollar education, plus training table, top health care, etc.

Amen!

If people actually look at history, they will see that unions have accomplished a lot. Period. Are there examples where unions have not been productive? Sure. Corporations have paid politicians lots of money to distort our views on the matter as have unions. So much so that the common man typically sees unions as awesome or a sh*t stain on humanity when in reality unions are neither.

I thought the beginning of the end was when we got a 4 team playoff. It made getting one loss in the regular season more "acceptable". Sure, in certain years you wouldn't have two undefeated teams, but it was nice that if you saw a top 5 teams on the ropes in September, you wanted to watch and see if they lost and shot their season in the foot. Now, not as big of a deal. And it ruined the non-CFP bowl games to where draft players now sit out and the passion for football all day on Jan 1 isn't the same. This is just another step in that direction....

Reactions: GILL T
Each conference would be a bargaining unit.

Can't see how this could go wrong 🤣

First time I heard of this but not surprised.

This is not good

Unions are not viable in bargaining a solution. They come into any situation already corrupted. The idea is great and has improved the life of a blue collar worker, but they hold little strength in the current economy of service workers.

If people actually look at history, they will see that unions have accomplished a lot. Period. Are there examples where unions have not been productive? Sure. Corporations have paid politicians lots of money to distort our views on the matter as have unions. So much so that the common man typically sees unions as awesome or a sh*t stain on humanity when in reality unions are neither.
Unions gave labor a voice when they needed it in the 30’s thru the 60’s. They abused the power they had gained and helped to drive the cost of labor beyond what it was worth in the 70’s thru 90’s.

This drove US manufacturing off shore in order to stay competitive and get out from under the labor contracts they could not afford.

I have worked in companies that have non union workers and union workers. The non-union workers were treated better than the union workers, and that was required by the union. Unions require that companies treat their union employees like irresponsible children. We literally could not treat them like responsible adults, union contracts required that we treat them horribly. My wife is a member of the teachers union, and by law they are not allowed to strike. So the union has absolutely no power to negotiate. They all spend $700 per year for dues, and the teachers union does absolutely NOTHING for them. The sole purpose of the teachers union is to launder money for the democratic party. Democrats give money to teachers, who then turn around and send it back to democrats as political donations. Rather than reward good teachers, they reward teachers for longevity, so there are tons of bad teachers in the system. They never weed out the dead wood, like most private companies do.

I have worked in companies that have non union workers and union workers. The non-union workers were treated better than the union workers, and that was required by the union. Unions require that companies treat their union employees like irresponsible children. We literally could not treat them like responsible adults, union contracts required that we treat them horribly. My wife is a member of the teachers union, and by law they are not allowed to strike. So the union has absolutely no power to negotiate. They all spend $700 per year for dues, and the teachers union does absolutely NOTHING for them. The sole purpose of the teachers union is to launder money for the democratic party. Democrats give money to teachers, who then turn around and send it back to democrats as political donations. Rather than reward good teachers, they reward teachers for longevity, so there are tons of bad teachers in the system. They never weed out the dead wood, like most private companies do.

Oh bullshit!
That you believe this is why you are a clone fan. Silly propaganda.

Alaska Piledrivers 2520.

Go back to wherever you slithered out from.
Iowa State sucks too.

Over-priced union labor huh? What are corporations and shareholders not making enough money as it is? Unions pushing for better wages, benefits, and working conditions is a good thing. Holding back technological or company progress is a bad thing and something I'm against.

Your statement that unions distort the free market is non sequitur. Where does a free market exist in the US? They're all regulated. The best example of a free market is the street markets in some third world countries and I don't think any of those people are wealthy.

Last edited:
So why is your wife part of the union then?

Unions now do more harm than good
A friend of mine worked for Goodyear. He said because of union contracts guaranteeing health insurance for retirees that Goodyear paid the health insurance of more people that didn’t work for Goodyear than those that did.
Public unions are starting to hurt cities. See Detroit. Fire and police pensions are rediculous. See Omaha. When fire and policeman can retire on half pay at 40-45 we have a problem. Many work tons of overtime for a few years to inflate their pension payments.

Unions now do more harm than good
A friend of mine worked for Goodyear. He said because of union contracts guaranteeing health insurance for retirees that Goodyear paid the health insurance of more people that didn’t work for Goodyear than those that did.
Public unions are starting to hurt cities. See Detroit. Fire and police pensions are rediculous. See Omaha. When fire and policeman can retire on half pay at 40-45 we have a problem. Many work tons of overtime for a few years to inflate their pension payments.
Yeah it’s a good idea in theory, but how do you pay people full salary to retire at 40? It’s not like cities are having trouble finding firefighters. Pensions for public employees are bankrupting California.

Reactions: TheNewNU

Yes in theory unions are good. But like anything they are run by humans and we are imperfect so the institutions are imperfect. I honestly have no idea what should be done about paying players. Ideally, they would get some compensation but what these kids don't realize is it's not going to be NFL money and it's going to dry up very very fast. Most colleges will most likely have to shut down all athletic programs because they simply won't be able to afford to pay the athletes due to issues with Title IX. Once these football players are getting their fair share it destroys the whole business model. Football and Mens Basketball to a smaller degree finance the olympic and women's sports. Without that financing most schools will not be able to afford to have athletic programs. I think the Power 5 and a few others probably stick around but the Group of 5 schools and other programs like UNO will have no choice but to close up shop. These kids should be careful what they wish for because they just may get it.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
It will ruin college athletics. Period

I was a union carpenter for 15 years in 2 different states. There were some good but mostly negatives. The union never did anything for us when it came down to it but most union workers are too brainwashed to see that. I could go on but I am much happier and financially secure being self employed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT