ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Moos

I certainly wouldn't have known as an NU student if I was standing next to the AD, the Chancellor, or any other University admin. We would have just been like, "Wow how sad is that old guy? Go home dude. LOL."

When I was a student at UNL Bob Devaney was the AD, and I did stand next to him once. Waiting in line for a student football ticket in the old South Stadium office. Bob came wandering out and chatted with me and a few others while we waited in line. Now if Graham Spanier had been standing next to me I wouldn't have had a clue.

I dont get some fans. People bitch and moan about Eichorst being a stick in the mud and staying locked up in his ivory tower so everyone clamors for a guy thats out with the people and is like Devaney and Alvarez. Well thats what we have now and everyone complains hows he an embarassment and should be more professional like SE.

Might be hard to hire a good bball coach with rumors that the AD may not be around much longer. Seems like every time someone in this athletic department gets the "statement of support", their days are numbered. I don't think the President and Chancellor would have issued a statement if there wasn't some truth to the rumors.
Either that or they are just that.... rumors. I have absolutely no clue as I didn't first hand witness any said begbehav and have not talked to anyone who has.

That’s usually for on the field/job performance. They are addressing a rumor that has spiraled out of control online, thanks partially to our local media members. I think that’s a big difference.
And/or online message boards....

Even at 21 I didn't have to have friends called to come drag me out of a booth somewhere and get me home, let alone on a routine basis. This man is middle-aged and being paid millions.

You think "the media" hasn't been told about this months ago and sat on it without making a peep? It's not Sip or McKewon's fault that ol Billy got in his cups and developed a case of the honky hands. It could have stayed quiet if his behavior had stayed quiet enough.

But sure, shoot the messenger.
Thanks for calling people in their 60's middle aged!!! I still have a few years to go then!! I thought I was past my prime!!

Reactions: CatColumbia
I dont get some fans. People bitch and moan about Eichorst being a stick in the mud and staying locked up in his ivory tower so everyone clamors for a guy thats out with the people and is like Devaney and Alvarez. Well thats what we have now and everyone complains hows he an embarassment and should be more professional like SE.

There is a very large space that falls in between "very likely to have a hair collection under his bed" and "passed out in public in his mid 60's" that most people live in.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect high profile public employees to be there as well.

Reactions: TheBeav815
There is a very large space that falls in between "very likely to have a hair collection under his bed" and "passed out in public in his mid 60's" that most people live in.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect high profile public employees to be there as well.
I agree but, I don't know if someone like that exists. We just went through a massive nationwide search with all of NU's most important movers and shakers. This is the guy they picked because that's what they believed was best for this place. There is no evidence of Moos passing out in public. It's 2019 everyone and their brother has a camera phone that would love to plaster that picture all over social media. So why isn't it out there? If it is out there we can have a conversation about it. But I don't think it's a good thing for NU for the AD to get blasted with salaciousness when he has a very important hire to make in mens basketball coming down the pike.

Have to believe that there are some truth to the rumors. Something this detailed doesnt just appear. There have been issues since October. Hopefully the names in his desk drawer are legit for a hoops coach. If our next hires are James Beam and Jack Daniels were have a problem.

yes, there is nowhere in between SE and getting drunk in public.

Have to believe that there are some truth to the rumors. Something this detailed doesnt just appear. There have been issues since October. Hopefully the names in his desk drawer are legit for a hoops coach. If our next hires are James Beam and Jack Daniels were have a problem.

He has better taste than that, He likes the Good Stuff (Templeton Rye )

Reactions: headcard
Moos denies the rumors (though he also denied the rumors that he met with Frost in Philly)

[looks under bed - shudders]

Reactions: TheNewNU
Maybe he was essentially brought in to fire Riley and sweet talk Frost into coming back. That's how I'm interpreting it.
Like he was always just a short term plan? Yeah I could see that. Gets Frost in here, and gives time to find a permanent replacement for AD

Reactions: CatColumbia
yes, there is nowhere in between SE and getting drunk in public.
Someone in the middle like Trev Alberts? Who has put UNO in a terrible hole financially with Baxter Arena and now cannot afford to hire a good coach in their one money making sport? Danny White? Who is a laughing stock among his profession with his crying about the CFP and claiming a National Title for beating a 10-3 Auburn team. Tom Osborne? Who hired a complete nutjob in BP and his former player Erstad who had never coached a baseball team a day in his life? There is no proof to Moos being drunk in public, libeling the man does the athletic department no favors.

Well...at 21 you and your buddies are all hammered at the same time :)

Also...wouldn't there be a picture of the AD totally hammered and passed out at a bar?

I don't buy all of this story.
Agree in this day and age with cameras everywhere and everyone having a cell phone. I would assume there would be at least 1 not so flattering pic up him somewhere.

Someone in the middle like Trev Alberts? Who has put UNO in a terrible hole financially with Baxter Arena and now cannot afford to hire a good coach in their one money making sport? Danny White? Who is a laughing stock among his profession with his crying about the CFP and claiming a National Title for beating a 10-3 Auburn team. Tom Osborne? Who hired a complete nutjob in BP and his former player Erstad who had never coached a baseball team a day in his life? There is no proof to Moos being drunk in public, libeling the man does the athletic department no favors.
Libel is when it's a very specific claim that is not true, not when you lack "public proof."

As for White, bashing the playoff and drawing publicity to UCF is exactly what he should be doing. He appears to have made two very good football HC hires and they have one loss the last two years. The only person who thinks that makes an AD a "laughingstock" is you.

and just because you walk around with a beer hat on, that doesnt mean youre an alcoholic, that just means your hands are busy...

Keep knocking down those strawmen.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I’ve met and known Bill Moos a long time and this stuff sounds outrageous to me.

If I would wager (and I haven’t spoken to Bill in some time) I would guess this is blown way way out of proportion.

What I think is happening is that the basketball team just went 2-5 the last 7 games and people are tired of a coach that has been around a while and all of a sudden....

People in his camp are hoping the AD is removed before Bill fires him hopefully stalling him for another season.

People who want Bill gone to get another AD to fire the basketball coach and hire one from their contacts.

Basically two camps one supporting the basketball coach trying to create a diversion, and one on the outside wanting to get someone in the AD position to fire the coach and hire from their network.

In the middle of both these camps is Bill Moos and all of a sudden “he has a drinking problem”. “He was passed out at 5 bars on front of all the boosters and Warren Buffet and tried to grab a hawkeye’s ass.”, “I heard he doesn’t even like BBQ and prefers Tofu” Etc. etc.

Basically anything to villainize Moos and get 1 of 2 outcomes. The basketball coach saves his job while the athletic department is in turmoil looking for a new AD who hopefully won’t fire him and at least give him 1 more year or the people trying to force him out to bring in someone to fire and hire a new basketball coach.

Bill is one of the friendliest, most successful, and intelligent builders of programs in all of the NCAA. It’s hard to do that if you are drunk all the time. He’s a regular approachable guy, he’s not some drunk alcoholic slob.

Just my two cents from someone who has known Bill a long time and understands how athletic department politics work.

It’s not a coincidence that this article was written 2 days ago

https://kckingdom.com/2019/01/27/nebraska-basketball-time-move-tim-miles/

And this one...

https://theathletic.com/204784/2018...und-at-nebraska-in-his-unique-fun-loving-way/

And all of a sudden the “AD has a drinking problem” blah blah starts up.

Like he was always just a short term plan? Yeah I could see that. Gets Frost in here, and gives time to find a permanent replacement for AD

I always thought Bill WAS a short term plan. The guy is damn near 70. BTW I dont hate the guy. I know a few guys around here his age and they make some great bar drinking friends. As long as he doesnt do anything that gives us some national attention of the wrong kind, I dont care if hes out every night drinking.

I’ve met and known Bill Moos a long time and this stuff sounds outrageous to me.

If I would wager (and I haven’t spoken to Bill in some time) I would guess this is blown way way out of proportion.

What I think is happening is that the basketball team just went 2-5 the last 7 games and people are tired of a coach that has been around a while and all of a sudden....

People in his camp are hoping the AD is removed before Bill fires him hopefully stalling him for another season.

People who want Bill gone to get another AD to fire the basketball coach and hire one from their contacts.

Basically two camps one supporting the basketball coach trying to create a diversion, and one on the outside wanting to get someone in the AD position to fire the coach and hire from their network.

In the middle of both these camps is Bill Moos and all of a sudden “he has a drinking problem”. “He was passed out at 5 bars on front of all the boosters and Warren Buffet and tried to grab a hawkeye’s ass.”, “I heard he doesn’t even like BBQ and prefers Tofu” Etc. etc.

Basically anything to villainize Moos and get 1 of 2 outcomes. The basketball coach saves his job while the athletic department is in turmoil looking for a new AD who hopefully won’t fire him and at least give him 1 more year or the people trying to force him out to bring in someone to fire and hire a new basketball coach.

Bill is one of the friendliest, most successful, and intelligent builders of programs in all of the NCAA. It’s hard to do that if you are drunk all the time. He’s a regular approachable guy, he’s not some drunk alcoholic slob.

Just my two cents from someone who has known Bill a long time and understands how athletic department politics work.

And this one...

https://theathletic.com/204784/2018...und-at-nebraska-in-his-unique-fun-loving-way/

I will admit, something similar went through my mind, kind of.

Thought maybe started by Riley, eickhorst, Miles fans.

Could be.

But I wouldn't call people on here that say it's credible to be in "that camp".

I ve met moos once and my take on him was exactly as you described. But that doesn't mean there is nothing there, there. Hope not.

I would like him to be here for as long as HE wants to

Reactions: grayhairedfreak

And this one...

You might be on to something. The tweet below is from Tim Miles' former director of operations. Seems pretty clear that Miles does not like Moos.

i don't really know how it works, but why would you give two shits if your AD comes to the games or not? Last thing I want when I'm working is a boss looking over my shoulder. Give me the resources I ask for and let me work. The results will speak for themselves.

Keep knocking down those strawmen.
3 Husker legends are hardly straw men. Lots of people on here wanted Trev, TO, and Erstad at the time. Like it was mentioned above it's important to consider who these rumors benefit. Tim Miles, Other ADs, Agents of basketball coaches. Moos may already be on the move for his next basketball coach.

And this one...

In Moos, I trust!

And this one...

Well I heard it in November when the football team was playing well and basketball season hadn't started yet.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Hank and Ronnie putting an end to the rumors:

I'm embarrassed for the university that they would even put out a statement. After years of poor Harvey Pearlman hires, NU finally gets a legit AD and before he makes it two years in there are rumors? Who is spreading these rumors? Is there that much dead weight within the athletic department that they have to spread rumors to protect their job?

I'm embarrassed for the university that they would even put out a statement. After years of poor Harvey Pearlman hires, NU finally gets a legit AD and before he makes it two years in there are rumors? Who is spreading these rumors? Is there that much dead weight within the athletic department that they have to spread rumors to protect their job?
Just listened to Sam McKewon's segment on the TBL with Severe. McKewon interviewed Moos and he outright denied all the rumors that he's had any inappropriate situations involving alcohol in his time here. In the same conversation Sam also alluded to the fact that Tim Miles doesn't feel he is getting the support he needs to win. McKewon and Severe weren't buying it because Miles has more support than NU basketball has ever had. The more digging I'm doing the more it points to the idea that Miles and Co. could be behind these rumors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT