ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Moos Gets $3 Million to Leave

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
So, it's come out that Moos got $3 million. Sure sounds to me like he was bought off to get him to go quietly and "retire" early. The open question still is WHY such an eagerness to get him to go now?

Last edited:

xX8eY4r.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: huntered
Good on Moos for getting as golden a parachute as he can. I would certainly do the same if I was in his position.

Funny though, that NU is paying the AD millions to go away, after he paid Mike Riley and Tim Miles millions to go away, then played Santa Claus at Scott Frost's house with a $10 million extension. But OMG, OMG, OMG - college athletics will go straight to Hell in a handbasket when players start making money from social media!

Good on Moos for getting as golden a parachute as he can. I would certainly do the same if I was in his position.

Funny though, that NU is paying the AD millions to go away, after he paid Mike Riley and Tim Miles millions to go away, then played Santa Claus at Scott Frost's house with a $10 million extension. But OMG, OMG, OMG - college athletics will go straight to Hell in a handbasket when players start making money from social media!

tenor.gif

It seems like alot of money to pay a guy to go away just because he liked the booze a little too much. Did he grope one of the Hawks' wives or what?

It seems like alot of money to pay a guy to go away just because he liked the booze a little too much. Did he grope one of the Hawks' wives or what?
It's Power 5 athletics, so of course it's an insane amount of money.

I'm sure the conversation went something like, "How on Earth will we ever attract a top-notch athletic director, unless we pay a fortune to the one we're shoving out the door?"

It's Power 5 athletics, so of course it's an insane amount of money.

I'm sure the conversation went something like, "How on Earth will we ever attract a top-notch athletic director, unless we pay a fortune to the one we're shoving out the door?"
If they're paying him that much to leave there is something going on that they don't want made public would be my bet. IF he's drunk all the time and isn't showing up for work, then they could can him with cause. Whatever. He was due a bonus anyway so some of the payout was going to get paid no matter what. With the new facilities being built and the state of the football program I'm sure they didn't want a lame duck AD hanging around.

It looked like a health issue or firing. So firing it is. NU surely wouldn’t pay him the $3 mil he would have received to finish the last 18 months of his contract otherwise. We can only hope they have the new AD in hand awaiting the university’s formal process.

Even though both sides surely knew the truth would come out, no one would have benefitted from hostile words. Moos is no Bo Pelini. He seems like a nice guy and this isn’t the worst outcome for him.

Reactions: jsachisler
Shit, we keep having to pay people off. I guess this is such an important time for husker sports they couldn't afford, pun intended, to not have someone fully engaged and all "N"???

So, it's come out that Moos got $3 million. Sure sounds to me like he was bought off to get him to go quietly and "retire" early. The open question still is WHY such an eagerness to get him to go now?
So a consulting firm helped find that guy. . Sigh

Sounds like the University wanted to move forward with someone that actually was doing the work going forward. Moos hired the coaches which is what he was brought in for. Seems like the department has some decent employees that got in front of NIL and a few other things and will progress the program. Wouldn't be surprised if the interim tag is removed and the next AD is already on campus.

Why would anyone care how much he got? Good for him, good for Riley, good for Bo.

We would all take that money to not work.

I doubt it was as bad as everyone says, otherwise they could have fired him for cause and not paid a penny. Who knows, and does it really matter? Whose next is all that matters.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Look at the major sports- they’re all in rebuild mode with coaches at the beginning or early middle of their careers.

Moos is 70 and stated outright that this is his last stop. Makes sense they’d want someone here for the long haul, not in his twilight.

Slanderous assumptions aside, this move makes perfect sense for actual business reasons.

Out with the old, in with the new! (Sorry if this offends)

I care because I pay a hefty donation every year for the privilege of buying season tickets. I would like to to think that the money is advancing the program in some way, not funding one buyout after another.
I believe those funds are requested specifically for that purpose, not taken the PSL revenue. Just what I have been told in the past

I mean both can be bad. I don't see how turning athletes into social media influencers helps them on the field or in the classroom, besides being a huge distraction in both areas. As far as coaches making ridiculous salaries, I'd rather see some of that go towards the school, or smaller TV deals and lower cable bills instead of milking paying customers for all they're worth.

It could just be because bitcoin is down...

Heard he was doing a lot from his ranch as not from lincoln
heard the same.
for 3 million - i mightve done the same.
itd be nice to find someone whos not just looking for a golden parachute.
or one ‘last rodeo’.
its aggravating how prevalent these are, regardless of performance.
will there ever be pushback?
i understand the answer is ‘no’.

Somewhere on campus, maybe Love Library they have paintings of the past chancellors from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. Those guys put the fear of God in you just looking at their pictures. We need to go back to the days when badass chancellors made sensible hires, negotiated reasonable contracts, had a sack to fire personnel who didn't cut the mustard without insane buyouts, and a court system that backed the process up.

People on here have obviously never "attempted" to fire someone for cause. Unless the "cause" is egregious and clearly obvious and spelled out in plain language, the battle is on and you will spend more on attorney fees than the payout. IF that is the case, pay the buyout, avoid the press and go on with life. The rub comes if the person is younger and intends to keep working and not retire out of the picture.

Reactions: Husker69
People on here have obviously never "attempted" to fire someone for cause. Unless the "cause" is egregious and clearly obvious and spelled out in plain language, the battle is on and you will spend more on attorney fees than the payout. IF that is the case, pay the buyout, avoid the press and go on with life. The rub comes if the person is younger and intends to keep working and not retire out of the picture.
Exactly. We hear the "with cause" phrase every time someone gets a big buyout, but it almost never happens in big time college athletics. I think Pruitt at Tennessee maybe was fired with cause for NCAA violations. But no program wants to get branded as the one that doesn't pay contracts when they want to move in a different direction. That would be terrible PR.

Somewhere on campus, maybe Love Library they have paintings of the past chancellors from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. Those guys put the fear of God in you just looking at their pictures. We need to go back to the days when badass chancellors made sensible hires, negotiated reasonable contracts, had a sack to fire personnel who didn't cut the mustard without insane buyouts, and a court system that backed the process up.
Like this guy?
double-secret-probation-deanwormer.png

Bill Moos is 70. It is safe to say in all three main men’s sports he made hires that were universally accepted well. In baseball, the stock is up. He inherited a pretty good situation and the home state talent pool is surprisingly strong consistently over the years. They’ve been to the CWS a few times with some wins since the turn of the century and been in the NCAA tournament with several appearances. Facilities are very good.

In basketball, the stock is a bit up and down lately but the experts predict growth and sustained into the future. The school is the only power five school to never win an NCAA tournament game with few appearances over the years. Recently, home state talent has been better than usual but hard to predict if sustainable. But the leadership has cache from his past which relates to the recruits he pursues. Facilities are newer and very, very good.

In football, the hire is the longest tenured, in a sport that has 5 national championships pre-2000 to the surprise of experts around the country. Numerous conference championships, bowl wins and top ten finishes in the last century From basically 1965-1999. Give or take. The sport has by far the most allowed scholarships in NCAA sports which makes the above accomplishments super impressive.

The reason being the home state population and surrounding region and states have minimal population. Except for two states each under 6.5 million. Close to the worst in the country, easily the worst situation for the former blue blood compared to current football powers. The head coach was a rising home grown star with a few powers pursuing his services in 2018.

Football stock has been trending down because of on-field results and the experts realize the fifth attempt since the Hall of Fame ex-head coach retired is grinding in a uphill battle for renewed success and some former glory. He inherited a bad situation of limited talent, bad habits and worse mental toughness. The biggest sport with the most needed resources is on a stationary bike needing to break off to move forward.

Time is showing some success on the field is needed to give confidence to fans, recruits and people across the country who enjoy underdogs reaching the pinnacle. Nebraska is always an underdog in the world of major college football excellence. So Bill Moos captained the three major men’s sports and some other sports during his tenure at Nebraska.

But his age, the pandemic, lack of presence, other possible reason(s) and qualities presently needed now and into the next fifteen years hurt his athletic director career at Nebraska. The powers to be at Nebraska sensed the bit of a vacuum and are searching for a younger, experienced athletic administrator, energetic, different and a person to change the landscape at the very top to meet the challenges in the future.

Bill Moos is a personable, easy to like man who is a very solid experienced athletic director In an era of change and fresh newer eyes, more modern trained background and foresight needed. So the new athletic director will oversee a athletic department with a yearning for more success overall and certainly in the biggest and most successful in its history

Well it could be that the Chancellor had his eye on a replacement candidate that he didn't want to get away before Moos' normally scheduled retirement date. OR Moos did something really bad that they didn't want to get out to the public so they pushed him out the door with a sweetened retirement pot. Either way, they could have just waited for normal retirement to happen at the end of 2022 (not that far off) but for some reason the powers that be thought it really necessary to spend extra money to push Moos out now.

Reactions: stan raymond

I am don't know if there is something on Moos or not, but he is 70. Seems like a good time to go. (Just hope the powers to be make the right choice in his replacement).

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT