ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Devaney

Gotta keep someone talking to current commits and to keep other recruits up to speed. I know at first many people where happy with the hire but many have soon cooled off. I don't expect him to retain the role as "special assistant" to Frost but I do believe keeping him on at least thru recruiting season is important.

If Frost plans on bringing in most of his UCF staff or even some, Frost will need as much aid as he can get in recruiting these next few weeks since it appears some coaches won't be coming to NU until after UCF's bowl game. It's one thing for the HC to leave the team before the bowl game, but position coaches need to stay for the Bowl Game. And if all Devaney does is make calls, then that something. Gotta pay the man so why not put him to work?

Reactions: saluno22
Devaney not part of coaches contract including assistants.
He is on a different employee grade at UNL and stays with athletic dept from coach to coach unless current coach sees no need in his contribution to overall operation or AD removes

He is on a different employee grade at UNL and stays with athletic dept from coach to coach unless current coach sees no need in his contribution to overall operation or AD removes

Each program can do what they want, but if I'm the coach I don't want an overseer of the program who isn't the AD and who isn't someone I'm familiar with.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
This is what AD Moo's said at presser. Separate contract and have to see how that plays out. Got the impression that it's going to be up to Frost,excuse me...next head coach, as to thoughts for input on his future.

If it's true he was the one who initiated the firing of Banker to make room for Diaco then I would think his days are numbered. Frost isn't going to put up with someone whispering in the ear of the AD and I don't think Moos is going to let it happen.
WOW! Well stated. Riley made a big mistake to allow Devaney on board. IMO.

Gotta keep someone talking to current commits and to keep other recruits up to speed. I know at first many people where happy with the hire but many have soon cooled off. I don't expect him to retain the role as "special assistant" to Frost but I do believe keeping him on at least thru recruiting season is important.

If Frost plans on bringing in most of his UCF staff or even some, Frost will need as much aid as he can get in recruiting these next few weeks since it appears some coaches won't be coming to NU until after UCF's bowl game. It's one thing for the HC to leave the team before the bowl game, but position coaches need to stay for the Bowl Game. And if all Devaney does is make calls, then that something. Gotta pay the man so why not put him to work?
Likely to help the new staff transition more quickly to understand the current players talent so they can then figure out what immediate holes they need to recruit. His job was supposedly to evaluate talent. But he isn't a recruiter himself.

I'd go with William. Bill wouldn't be an option, I would change to my middle name.

Billy?

Lol

The great Scott Frost doesn't need that kind of advice.

Grima_and_Th%C3%A9oden.jpg

Not sure he had a choice...there are several poor decisions that Riley will get blamed for but weren't really his IMO.
Allowing Devaney to push who should be hired and fired is on Riley. Devaney was the Special Assistant to the Head Coach. Riley was a veteran and had no business allowing Devaney or Eichorst to push this nonsense on him.

Allowing Devaney to push who should be hired and fired is on Riley. Devaney was the Special Assistant to the Head Coach. Riley was a veteran and had no business allowing Devaney or Eichorst to push this nonsense on him.
And IMO this is why Riley’s teams don’t win. Time after time he was pushed around. Danny pushed him around the with stupid play calling that Mike was too much of a push over to Veto. Eichorst pushes him around in the office with moves like the D-cord. Gotta be a leader to lead & gotta be strong, otherwise your subordinates won’t react well. And I hate to say it, but if you don’t, you come across as a loser. And losing rubs off

Reactions: Wasker77
But I don't think Riley had a choice. I believe that was administrative.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
But I don't think Riley had a choice. I believe that was administrative.
That's not how the world works. He's the head coach and Eichorst was tied to Riley. Riley could have easily said, "Shawn, Billy, I'm picking who coaches for me period." This was after his own nine win season. Do you really think Eichorst and Devaney had ANY pull at that point.

Can you imagine what would have transpired if Bill Byrne tried to tell Osborne who to hire and fire?

Reactions: Wasker77
If it's true he was the one who initiated the firing of Banker to make room for Diaco then I would think his days are numbered. Frost isn't going to put up with someone whispering in the ear of the AD and I don't think Moos is going to let it happen.
On the other hand, he probably made the dreams come true for the Tradition Coalition. IF Riley had kept Banker I think he would have won the 7-8, gotten to a bowl game and maybe kept his job. Then Frost would be at Florida or Tennessee in a week. Maybe he keeps his job for that reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT