ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Busch no longer with the program

We will see if this is the reason Rhule fails I guess.

But I doubt it is.
I agree with you. 1 assistant coach will likely never make or break the success of a college football team overall. But having a strong assistant coach like Bill Busch sure goes a long way towards a programs success

Reactions: bshirt73
HUGE mistake by Rhule in not retaining him. Bill Busch is an example of where indisputable improvement was shown in ST and overall defensive play when increased responsibility was given to him. Bill Busch is a winner and the type of coach a staff needs
Was there improvement in ST play? The stats seem to indicate that our ST play has been downright poor most years (near the bottom in kick returns every single year).

Stats

Would have been great if Busch was able to stay. Not in the cards. Sounds like he is going to take some time in Lincoln, so I'm sure he'll get to know these guys a bit.

Was there improvement in ST play? The stats seem to indicate that our ST play has been downright poor most years (near the bottom in kick returns every single year).

Stats
Big turnaround in the kicking game, but that was mostly two legs.

Stats
I'm strictly speaking of this yr. versus every yr. before that. Last season, almost every gm. had a different ST error that cost the team many games. I can't think of hardly any instances this year where that happened. Not saying the ST play was perfect this past season, but there was obvious improvement over last season where Busch didn't lead the unit.

Of all the assistant‘s I think he had the most difficult situation and did an outstanding job turning this defense from be horrible too being very respectable..
I would argue the quality of our opponents did much more to make us look respectable than any of our coaches (exactly as I said it would back in September)

all the games the "defense played well" were against bottom 30 offenses in the country

Stats
I am convinced refs were coached to throw flags and 80% of kickoff/punt returns. It didn’t matter who was playing, whenever a kick or punt was returned, I was blown away how often the play was called back due to an illegal block in the back. It happened ALL the time.

If that’s how the game is going to be called, you’re better off just fair catching it rather than running it out and starting at the 10 yard line.

Temple was a kick blocking machine when Ed Foley was there, finishing in the top 10 nationally in that category in 2015, 2016, and 2017 (btw we led the nation in 2015). And he's going to be more aligned with Rhule's vision. Busch will be missed but we're going to be more than fine on special teams.

Reactions: Truewooper
He did a solid job as DC. Wasn't really impressed with our ST play other than we found a competent kicker and punter. Did block one punt I guess and came pretty close a couple of other times. Return game was still utter garbage.

Stats
Yes. Big Time improvement! We had kickers and punters that were more reliable. Guys on kick and punt team that could actually tackle. And the Special Teams did not single-handedly lose games like last year (Michigan State, OU).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT