ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest NU recruit who flopped?

Well sure, Sanders was a huge miss. But my point is that NU didn’t just sign Rodgers because he was JR’s kid. He might have had a good career at NU if his knee didn’t explode. Von Shepherd was similar. He was a big-time wingback/KR out of the Twin Cities whose knees just wouldn’t hold up.

For me that’s a lot different than guys who just couldn’t cut it.
No, I totally agree. I remember when he committed how excited I was. I had no clue who Barry Sanders was. Fast forward to today, and everybody knows Barry Sanders, while only husker fans knows Terry Rodgers. It’s too bad thinks happened the way they did for him.

Epley had a strength training machine that caused an unusually high number of osteitis pubis type injuries. Epley was marketing his invention and promoting it. Evans never fully recovered from his pubitis.

Do you remember what the name of that machine was? It wasn't a "free-spot" was it??

I’m willing to throw internet hands 😂 with anybody who mentions Marlon Lucky in this topic. No he wasn’t great but he was by no means a flop either. I just say that because his name usually pops up in topics like this. The dude rushed well for being in Callahan system and caught about a half billion screen passes that always seem to go for 5-10 yards minimum. Very good but not great player.
Tyshon Lindsay. Miniature pinball.

Reactions: blackbones
Aaron green didn’t stick around, but is up there. Harrison beck. Tyjon Lindsey. Jamal turner always seemed like the best athlete on the field that never did much. Deangelo evens might be the most talented player that never performed up to his talent level. Like lucky, he wasn’t bad, but could have been much more.
I’ve shared before that I taught DeAngelo and loved him like a son… while he certainly shares responsibility for his own actions, his run in Lincoln was marred by injury( huge) and bad timing of being the SECOND player to make Frank mad… after going after Buckhalter, Frank could not appear to be weak… De paid the price…. Again, read the line after the comma… he could have handled himself better, but this Frank’s loss

Going way back into the 70's. Nebraska got a guy that was considered the best rb in the country by the name of Greg Whetsel, out of Ohio. I believe he packed his bags very quickly. 'Homesickness' they used to call it.

[/QUOTE]
Harrberg was never a big time recruit and was only given a scholarship because Verduzzco and SF failed to convince anyone better to come..
Haarburg is one of those 'diamond in the rough' guys. I say there are reasons for everything. If he didn't dominate in the Nebraska high school circuit there is a reason for that. I am not against the rough diamonds but they should be at a minimum and certain attributes involved. Number one, a coach who has a keen eye for these types of things and the ability to develop (think Bill Snyder).
Second, the player has to be a Kurt Warner type. Motivated beyond the pale and truly have excess talent. There must have been some quirky situation that prevented stardom

That being said these are gut feeling chances taken.
You can't populate your squad with maybe someday types.

Reactions: gomerxx
I'll start with Harrison Beck.
Yup it’s gotta be beck. Kid also flopped at his next school. Kid went to NC State and got bumped to third string. Sort of factoring in what the guy is now. He’s a fat little turd now 😒

I’ve shared before that I taught DeAngelo and loved him like a son… while he certainly shares responsibility for his own actions, his run in Lincoln was marred by injury( huge) and bad timing of being the SECOND player to make Frank mad… after going after Buckhalter, Frank could not appear to be weak… De paid the price…. Again, read the line after the comma… he could have handled himself better, but this Frank’s loss
Frank mishandled a number of players, Bobby Newcombe Tracy wistrom who had injuries but came back to soon and were never the same

The same Marlon Lucky who has the single-season receptions record for NU at 75? The guy in the top 10 of several school records? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_statistical_leaders

Nobody should say he was a flop.
Lucky certainly wasn't a flop but he wasn't what he was billed as. He was a slightly above average back. His recieving record is somewhat contrived. He was lightly used as a frosh, special teams mostly. Was the man as a junior but fizzled out his senior year. Undrafted, his NFL career was no more than as an off season practice squad member. After that he made the mostly local arena type football teams.
Maybe more telling. Can you remember one play that really stands out? Did he come up big in big games?
His one banner year was during a season known mostly for being notorious. It led to the unpleasant firing of the AD and head coach. NU ran up good garbage point numbers but otherwise was a disaster. That's probably why Lucky wasn't known for anything in particular.

I think it pretty unfair to claim guys that had serious injuries as flops. Guys like Terry Rodgers and DeAngelo weren’t flops they were unfortunate. I’d call guys that didn’t realize their potential because of stupidity, laziness or just plain being over rated.
Agree, which points the finger squarely on Harrison Beck as the king of Husker flops.

Aaron green didn’t stick around, but is up there. Harrison beck. Tyjon Lindsey. Jamal turner always seemed like the best athlete on the field that never did much. Deangelo evens might be the most talented player that never performed up to his talent level. Like lucky, he wasn’t bad, but could have been much more.
I think D Evans had an injury problem. As a frosh, he showed really well, IIRC.

Details are a little fuzzy for me, but if I recall correctly, David Horne was very highly rated out of high school, had a decent first year, then fell off the map before Callahan dismissed him from the team. I guess my question is if one decent year makes you a "flop" or not.

There's been a bunch. Curt Dukes and Cody Green come to mind. There were several folks in Cally's number one class who never saw the field for a variety of reasons.
The 2nd coming of Eric Crouch Curt Dukes suffered a knee injury and transferred. He was also a primadonna and rubbed the players the wrong way.

Last edited:
I think D Evans had an injury problem. As a frosh, he showed really well, IIRC.
His TB injury came at the hands of Mackovica after he kicked the shit outta him in the lockeroom after the A&M game in 98. Spurred on by DeAngelo storming into the LR after the game stating, how come you white boys ain't blocking for us black boys and Jeff kicked the livin fk out of him also throwing him in to a number of lockers which caused his TB injury. From that point we never heard from him again as he was kicked off the team an then he transferred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laner2
I remember this subject came up in the past and Larry Townsend was thrown around by a bunch. Dude was a west coast phenom who was going to dominate in Lincoln. He finished with two national championships which coincidentally was how many tackles for loss he had in his career. One tfl and one sack. Never amounted to much at all in football it turns out.

His TB injury came at the hands of Mackovica after he kicked the shit outta him in the lockeroom after the A&M game in 98. Spurred on by DeAngelo storming into the LR after the game stating, how come you white boys ain't blocking for us black boys and Jeff kicked the livin fk out of him also throwing him in to a number of lockers which caused his TB injury. From that point we never heard from him again as he was kicked off the team an then he transferred.
Interesting...

Reactions: baseball31ne
Not really a flop because he did produce for a year or two, but Doug Dubose. Electric player when he was clean.
Dubose was clean while he was here. It wasn't till he got with the Niners did he start blowin'. What's sad is, he went down with a season ending knee injury (Torn ACL) the week of the season opener and he was tabbed the front runner for the Heisman that year in 85.

Last edited:
Dubose was clean while he was here. It wasn't till he got with the Niners did he start blowin'. What's sad is, he went down with a season ending knee injury (Torn ACL) the week of the season opener and he was tabbed the front runner for the Heisman that year in 85.
Did not know that. I thought he was using when he was here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT