ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest NU recruit who flopped?

I’m willing to throw internet hands 😂 with anybody who mentions Marlon Lucky in this topic. No he wasn’t great but he was by no means a flop either. I just say that because his name usually pops up in topics like this. The dude rushed well for being in Callahan system and caught about a half billion screen passes that always seem to go for 5-10 yards minimum. Very good but not great player.

Aaron green didn’t stick around, but is up there. Harrison beck. Tyjon Lindsey. Jamal turner always seemed like the best athlete on the field that never did much. Deangelo evens might be the most talented player that never performed up to his talent level. Like lucky, he wasn’t bad, but could have been much more.

I'll start with Harrison Beck.

4451375.jpg

Reactions: dinglefritz
I’m willing to throw internet hands 😂 with anybody who mentions Marlon Lucky in this topic. No he wasn’t great but he was by no means a flop either. I just say that because his name usually pops up in topics like this. The dude rushed well for being in Callahan system and caught about a half billion screen passes that always seem to go for 5-10 yards minimum. Very good but not great player.
The same Marlon Lucky who has the single-season receptions record for NU at 75? The guy in the top 10 of several school records? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_statistical_leaders

Nobody should say he was a flop.

Aaron green didn’t stick around, but is up there. Harrison beck. Tyjon Lindsey. Jamal turner always seemed like the best athlete on the field that never did much. Deangelo evens might be the most talented player that never performed up to his talent level. Like lucky, he wasn’t bad, but could have been much more.

Deangelo, and some big creighton prep o linemen

This is from DeAngelo’s bio on Huskers.com

“As a true freshman in 1996, Evans made a huge impact for the Huskers. Evans was the Huskers' second-leading rusher, backing up sophomore starter Ahman Green and alternating with senior Damon Benning. Evans had one start--against Texas in the Big 12 Championship. Although he played the last nine games with a nagging groin/pelvic injury, Evans had the third-best freshman rushing season for the Huskers with 776 yards on 148 carries for a 5.2 yards per carry average.”

My recollection is they ruined him by continuing to play him through the injury, when we didn’t even need him because we had Green and Benning. He sat out the entire 1997 season and just never looked the same again. So the question is, is someone who was misused, a flop when he never recovers from the injury the coaches played him through?

Last edited:
This is from DeAngelo’s bio on Huskers.com

“As a true freshman in 1996, Evans made a huge impact for the Huskers. Evans was the Huskers' second-leading rusher, backing up sophomore starter Ahman Green and alternating with senior Damon Benning. Evans had one start--against Texas in the Big 12 Championship. Although he played the last nine games with a nagging groin/pelvic injury, Evans had the third-best freshman rushing season for the Huskers with 776 yards on 148 carries for a 5.2 yards per carry average.”

My recollection is they ruined him by continuing to play him through the injury, when we didn’t even need him because we had Green and Benning. He sat out the entire 1997 season and just never looked the same again. So the question is, is someone who was misused, a flop when he never recovers from the injury the coaches played him through?
I'm just saying for a 5 star he kinda fell off the map...thunder seemed to do more

I saw Jamal Turner with his girlfriend and daughter at the Runza in the student Union right before he left. He had so much potential.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
Septak kept getting hurt. I played baseball with him for a couple years. Was scary being on 3rd when he was batting.

D'Angelo Evans was unreal but battled injury.

Simi Kuli. Class of 2007. Commited to Osborne. 5* DE. Flipped to Oregon State, then never made it to campus

We took Rodgers over Barry Sanders, didn’t we? If only we could go back…
Well sure, Sanders was a huge miss. But my point is that NU didn’t just sign Rodgers because he was JR’s kid. He might have had a good career at NU if his knee didn’t explode. Von Shepherd was similar. He was a big-time wingback/KR out of the Twin Cities whose knees just wouldn’t hold up.

For me that’s a lot different than guys who just couldn’t cut it.

Not sure how highly rated he was, but Dante Wiley was touted as a huge LB recruit but never really got on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT