ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest game this season for NU is today

Nate004

Senior
Feb 13, 2007
Win, and perhaps gain a bit of confidence back and who knows what happens the rest of the season. Maybe they could somehow muster up 6 wins to get to a bowl. Long shot but maybe.

Lose, and it’s entirely possible that the team falls apart and we only end up with 1 win on the year.

I’m hoping Mickey got this team somewhat improved over the past 2 weeks. Guess we’ll see.

NU has won 4 of its last 16 games.
The idea of winning 4 in a row is not likely.
what would be your minimum for him to win to consider retaining him?

I don't really care about how many in a row, it's just that the next 4 are going to be much easier than the last 4.

I think the next 4 need to be wins for MJ to be considered retainable. The back half of the schedule is tougher, so the month of October is really important.
Agree, but it’s one game at a time mentality..

Practically, what does everyone think this staff can get accomplished with the same players in two weeks? I keep seeing the "MJ needs/will turn things around" posts like it is an easy fix. It isn't by any means.

IMO, if the O can get hot and make Indiana chase a but, it will free up our D. If their O just runs it down the field, we'll, another long day for this once storied program.

Reactions: ISUforNU
Sorry, you can’t improve this dumpster fire in two weeks, we will lose this game,unfortunately. I want badly for this team to be able to turn it around and start winning, because I believe they would take off from there. This team and this season, for better or worse, is over.

Three of those four wins were against Fordham, Buffalo and North Dakota, and the fourth was against a terrible Northwestern team.
Shows you how bad this team is. Hard to believe there is enough talent to compete with any big 10 team.

I really don’t want to hear about recruiting ratings , this team is made up mostly of transfers and 3 stars. Few high ranking recruits have stayed with the program.

what would be your minimum for him to win to consider retaining him?

I don't really care about how many in a row, it's just that the next 4 are going to be much easier than the last 4.
After NU named Mickey as the Interim Head Coach and he happened to be the first black head coach at NU in any sport, then giving him an 8 game rehearsal, then pass him over would make for conversation among some folks.

I can see the questions already:

Did NU give him a fair chance?
Was he set up for failure?
Why didn't they let him recruit his own players?
Why didn't NU let Mickey hire his own staff?

Last edited:
After NU named Mickey as the Interim Head Coach and he happened to be the first black head coach at NU in any sport, then giving him an 8 game rehersal, then pass him over would make for conversation among some folks.

Those questions are gonna be asked about any coach hired. Except Urban, and he's not a candidate.

Sorry, you can’t improve this dumpster fire in two weeks, we will lose this game,unfortunately. I want badly for this team to be able to turn it around and start winning, because I believe they would take off from there. This team and this season, for better or worse, is over.
They are playing Indiana...Indiana is always a dumpster fire.

Practically, what does everyone think this staff can get accomplished with the same players in two weeks? I keep seeing the "MJ needs/will turn things around" posts like it is an easy fix. It isn't by any means.

IMO, if the O can get hot and make Indiana chase a but, it will free up our D. If their O just runs it down the field, we'll, another long day for this once storied program.
I don’t know what the ceiling is, but we recruit better than all but a couple of teams in the B1G most years (yes I know Frost was horrible at retaining players) so I feel our talent level is adequate. So it basically depends on what Mickey can get done in 2 weeks time to make them better. The test is today. I’m not expecting world beaters, but I am hoping for a competent team. We will see.

A terrible team that started THIS years debacle🫤
That's why I would say NW was the most important game of the year, and we threw that away when our former coach went all in on a low % try for an onside kick, leading by 11. It's been downhill since that game.

Those questions are gonna be asked about any coach hired. Except Urban, and he's not a candidate.
I don't think its the same as with Frost.

Frost took over a presumed shit show, he brought in his own staff, promptly lost his first 6 games, spent 4+ years of losing football losing 8 of his last 9 before a change was made.

So maybe Mickey takes over, loses his first 9 and then is let go.

Just pointing out the differences.

Reactions: king_kong_
This team getting to 6 wins... lol. Maybe in the Missouri Valley Conference

After NU named Mickey as the Interim Head Coach and he happened to be the first black head coach at NU in any sport, then giving him an 8 game rehearsal, then pass him over would make for conversation among some folks.

Their conversations are a waste of time.

1. Interim head coaches are rarely retained and hired as the next HC.

2. No one set MJ up for failure the situation is what it is.

3. I don't think they are barring him from talking to recruits now anyway.

4. He's already fired a guy...I'm sure he got a say in Chinanders replacement

These would be horrible questions to try and drum up bad ethics practice accusations of Nebraska in the overwhelming likelihood an interim didn't get the gig. It's not common to begin with.

So no chance then. That’s a ridiculous Barton set
Considering Bo Pelini and Frank Solich were fired for winning 9 games per season, is it really that unreasonable to expect 8 wins from Mickey Joseph to consider him as a realistic candidate?

Their conversations are a waste of time.

1. Interim head coaches are rarely retained and hired as the next HC.

2. No one set MJ up for failure the situation is what it is.

3. I don't think they are barring him from talking to recruits now anyway.

4. He's already fired a guy...I'm sure he got a say in Chinanders replacement

These would be horrible questions to try and drum up bad ethics practice accusations of Nebraska in the overwhelming likelihood an interim didn't get the gig. It's not common to begin with.
It is what it is, always a strong argument.

By his own recruits, I mean a season of his own recruits, not Frost rejects.

Firing one guy is not akin to bringing in his own staff. He has all Frost hires and the firing on one person.

Swinney, Orgeron, Helton, Fulmer, O'Leary, Stewart, Galen Hall all were interim coaches that became the Head Coach. Most had pretty good success. 3 of them won National Titles.

It's not the conventional method, but there have been exceptions.

Last edited:
Yeah it is what it is. That's not a set up. The situation wasn't engineered by anybody with ulterior motives to keep a black guy from a job.

I understand that you meant a whole season of recruiting but he has to be hired in order to get that done. They probably are not going to hire a coordinator anyway. That's what Mickey is, a coordinator filling in...of course he won't recruit his own guys. That would not be evidence of prejudicial denial of a job base on race.

The whole test of an interim is how well he manages what he has compared to the previous guy. Frost set a low bar let's not forget.

Mickey started his HCing resume 2 weeks ago and I hope he kills it in coaching, and if not hired this time I hope he does in the future and becomes a legend at Nebraska.

Biggest game of the season was the one against Northwestern. That one showed you everything you needed to know about this team.

Yeah it is what it is. That's not a set up. The situation wasn't engineered by anybody with ulterior motives to keep a black guy from a job.

I understand that you meant a whole season of recruiting but he has to be hired in order to get that done. They probably are not going to hire a coordinator anyway. That's what Mickey is, a coordinator filling in...of course he won't recruit his own guys. That would not be evidence of prejudicial denial of a job base on race.

The whole test of an interim is how well he manages what he has compared to the previous guy. Frost set a low bar let's not forget.

Mickey started his HCing resume 2 weeks ago and I hope he kills it in coaching, and if not hired this time I hope he does in the future and becomes a legend at Nebraska.
I think Mickey is up against it bigtime. With the collection of players NU currently has, I don't think any coach could have taken over 2 weeks ago and would manage to win 6 games total. Urban Meyer included.

This is a team void of talent, especially on the OL and DL in a league built on running the ball and stopping the run. This team looks like its one bad game against Indiana from a total collapse.

I'll be interested in seeing if NU can slow down Indiana today, a team NU should be able to compete with and it would be nice to see a win by any margin.

This team desperately needs some confidence, and outside of Rutgers, today's game is the best chance to gain some confidence. I think a loss today completely eliminates Mickey from consideration.

defense will tell us all we need to know
crazy things have always happened in college football
a hold em under 20 defense would go along way in having some fun in the next 8 games

So no chance then. That’s a ridiculous Barton set
I think Mickey would need to win 5 on his own not including a bowl game (decision would be made before then), with at least one or those being vs a traditionally good or ranked opponent. If he does that, I think he is the Plan B guy. If we don’t get one of the top choices, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting a shot if he got those wins.

Reactions: BleedRed78
You are dreaming that we win. I’m watching NW and PSU and NW SUCKS…and they moved the ball at will against us.

ADVERTISEMENT