ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten West Position Rankings - 2021

If Nebraska had that same 2019 defense going into the 2021 season, they would've been bottom of the rankings in every defensive category above.

Nebraska didn't really get outcoached in that game as much as their shitty defensive talent got exploited late by a QB making his 42nd career start with two NFL receivers.
Don’t forget your #2 QB going full on turtle mode in the 2nd half.

Laugh out loud funny thread, OP! You really understand the game!

Peyton Ramsey came into that game as the Big Ten's all time leader in completion percentage and had played 30 career games in the Big Ten.

Northwestern also brought back 4 receivers with more than 80 combined starts, and had 5 NFL players on defense.

Hilsinki isn't inheriting any of that stuff.

The luxury Northwestern has though is their early season schedule is the easiest in the Big Ten. They could be 4-0 coming into Lincoln without having beaten any team with a single win. Seriously, its completely possible that their 4 opponents are winless by week 5.

Fitz said the Cats will compete for the division a few weeks ago.

Good on the OP for putting this out there.

That being said, some of you are acting like this is PFF or Phil Steele or something.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
If think Illinois ran a Power Offense they Brian Denney was right to try and run you out of town.
Of course I don’t think Ill ran a power offense, which is why I would never say that.

You, on the other hand, say ‘we should match up well with power offenses’, despite our record against them (1-8 vs iowa/wisc/minn last 3 years).

🤡

Of course I don’t think Ill ran a power offense, which is why I would never say that.

You, on the other hand, say ‘we should match up well with power offenses’, despite our record against them (1-8 vs iowa/wisc/minn last 3 years).

🤡

Lol.

Nebraska prior to 2020 couldn't match up at all with those teams. That's not the case anymore.

And Minnesota doesn't run a power O.

And I like Nebraska's defense vs Wisconsin in 2021. But can the Huskers score? That's the real question.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Lol.

Nebraska prior to 2020 couldn't match up at all with those teams. That's not the case anymore.

And Minnesota doesn't run a power O.

And I like Nebraska's defense vs Wisconsin in 2021. But can the Huskers score? That's the real question.
We couldn’t match up with them in 2020, either (0-2).

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, 🤡.

We absolutely shut down iowa and minn offenses?

Whatever you’re smoking, it’s time to pass it around.

The moral victories some have been reduced to accepting are beyond pathetic.

1. Minnesota doesn't run Power
2. Nebraska did shut down Iowa. Yes.

I wish I could argue as a fool like you. Message boarding would be easier.

1. Minnesota doesn't run Power
2. Nebraska did shut down Iowa. Yes.

I wish I could argue as a fool like you. Message boarding would be easier.
And I wish I could apply nonsensical generalities (MN runs most RPO, total offense and completion percentage matter) to specific instances (MN vs NU in 2020, a game in which they ran exclusively power/Adrian Martinez is a good qb) like you.

Then I’d understand what it is you’re trying to convey despite the obvious practical evidence mounted against you.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
Has there ever been a bigger gap between completion percentage and winning percentage than OP’s #2 ranked QB?

Please help - I don’t understand football, but that seems bad.

Haven't you ever seen the 3rd tallest midget?
You seem to be combining some things in your evaluations though. You are calling this thread position rankings, but in reality you downgraded the Northwestern QB because of his supporting cast, from a talent standpoint he isn't the worst QB in the west. IF RBs make the QB and WR make the QB why even have a QB rating.

P O I N T L E S S

You seem to be combining some things in your evaluations though. You are calling this thread position rankings, but in reality you downgraded the Northwestern QB because of his supporting cast, from a talent standpoint he isn't the worst QB in the west. IF RBs make the QB and WR make the QB why even have a QB rating.

P O I N T L E S S
It should be called ‘ranking positions from most games played with current B1G team to least’, which is exactly what it is.

And, yes, it should be, as all OP’s posts should be, prefaced with P O I N T L E S S.

C’mon Top Gun Minnesota is power heavy but not it’s completely different offense comparing it to Ioway.. Open eyes..

It should be called ‘ranking positions from most games played with current B1G team to least’, which is exactly what it is.

And, yes, it should be, as all OP’s posts should be, prefaced with P O I N T L E S S.
Sometimes he makes points but like you inferred earlier so much of his stuff is just long paragraphs of emptiness. If Martinez is the 2nd best QB in the west, then we should have no trouble winning the league of "midgets". This. dude has Illinois in the top 3 of every category, even the QB category where he basically said the guy sucks. But hey, at least he put it out there.

Reactions: TANK 64
Missed typed.. Ioway never shows the threat of the QB running the ball like Minnesota scheme..
On 4th and 1, with the game in the balance, Minn lined up in the I-formation and handed the ball off to the running back straight up the gut for a 40yd touchdown.

To drive the nail in the coffin in the 4th quarter, they did the exact same thing.

Those plays decided the game. It was pure power football; hat on hat, man vs man. We couldn’t come close to stopping it if we had the play call 2 weeks prior.

If nebraska has one of the worst offensive lines in the DIVISION....I look forward to Martinez running for his life again....throwing picks and fumbling all over the place.
You people must have awful personal lives. Please stop all the dark side stuff. .

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Always a kind word from you. The freshman version will be back and you can eat crow.
The freshman version is all of a sudden going to double (or better) his win output?

The crow stays on the fence for now. Don’t go heating up any coals, either.

On 4th and 1, with the game in the balance, Minn lined up in the I-formation and handed the ball off to the running back straight up the gut for a 40yd touchdown.

To drive the nail in the coffin in the 4th quarter, they did the exact same thing.

Those plays decided the game. It was pure power football; hat on hat, man vs man. We couldn’t come close to stopping it if we had the play call 2 weeks prior.

Again Minnesota offense has QB giving to the running back or keeping it reading the tackles and Ioway doesn’t have that scheme in it’s offense.. Gophers are a down hill power team the difference is how the QB used that all I’m getting at and that is what cornicator was insinuating too..

Reactions: nu2u
You have Nebraska as 5th on the O Line. Curious for your thoughts here. Is that because the 4 teams above us have good o lines or because you expect our O line to be below average?
Our offensive line is going to struggle this year. I dont get the confidence on here about them. Even the "they look like a BIG line" is wrong. Just look at pictures of other BIG offensive lines lol.

Our offensive line returns three starters, plus a 6.0 4* kid in Corcoran who was the 7th ranked OT per Rivals. I think NU's Oline will do just fine.

Reactions: bshirt73
I think pundits give disproportionate value to experienced QBs. And in fairness to AM he is a high reward guy, unfortunately he's also high risk.
I would make the opposite case for Martinez that he's a low reward low risk guy. His fumbling issues are bad but as far as INTs he's pretty solid. He threw only 3 INTs all last year, that's pretty surprising. He averages less than 1 INT per game for his career.

The fumbles are absolutely brutal HOWEVER fumbles are not what I'd call a "decision making stat." Most picks are a bad throw. Fumbles they just got you and got the ball out, and we certainly know he's been hit more than he should.

What his "high reward" stats are supposed to be I don't know. Don't say completion %. It's certainly not touchdown passes. He had 4 TDs last year on 151 attempts which is just awful. That's a TD on 2.6% of passing attempts. For his career he throws a TD pass on roughly 4% of passing attempts. For context, Justin Fields threw a TD on almost 11% of his pass attempts. Tommy Armstrong threw a TD on 5.7% of attempts.

Adrian generally doesn't do flat-out stupid stuff or force the ball, he's just tentative too often when you need somebody to go be a killer and make plays. He slips into those modes where he holds the ball too long, runs like he's scared to be hit, doesn't lock the ball up going into contact.

But he's not like McCaffrey was where he was going to make a bunch of horrendously stupid choices because he just was always trying to turn every situation into an explosive play.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
Our offensive line returns three starters, plus a 6.0 4* kid in Corcoran who was the 7th ranked OT per Rivals. I think NU's Oline will do just fine.
The OL may be fine, time will tell, but 3 returning starters is nothing to brag about when none of those players sniffed all-conference recognition, not even honorable mention. "Fine" sounds more like a giant wish at this point. These returners (as well as the newcomers) may take a step forward this season but its still a question mark. Corcoran at LT is a big talent and shows great promise but has very little game experience. It will take some time for this unit to gel.

Nothing wrong with expectations.

But reality suggests other wise.
They've been in the CCG 2 of the last 3 years. At some point we're going to have to accept that they're not old doormat Northwestern any more. It's a better bet they win the division than Nebraska does if we're being honest. Only one of those teams has a reputation for playing above its recruiting rankings.

They'll be one of Fitz's NW teams, just going out there looking like they should be wildly overmatched and doing their jobs, dragging people into obnoxiously close and boring games and then finding a way to win a bunch of them.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
The OL may be fine, time will tell, but 3 returning starters is nothing to brag about when none of those players sniffed all-conference recognition, not even honorable mention. "Fine" sounds more like a giant wish at this point. These returners (as well as the newcomers) may take a step forward this season but its still a question mark. Corcoran at LT is a big talent and shows great promise but has very little game experience. It will take some time for this unit to gel.
The OL needs to be better than fine this year. They have size and stars across the line now, it's time to get impressive play out of that group. Too many quality recruits in that group to have any excuses any more.

See, therein lies the problem. You and others want to predict the quality and efficiency of the O line based on star rankings, size and other data.

If you want to talk potential, call it that. What accolades did our three returning starters receive? Bottom line for me is they haven't proven a thing in three years.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Again Minnesota offense has QB giving to the running back or keeping it reading the tackles and Ioway doesn’t have that scheme in it’s offense.. Gophers are a down hill power team the difference is how the QB used that all I’m getting at and that is what cornicator was insinuating too..
You and clownicator keep using generalities, I’m talking about specifics.

On the plays that won mn that game, there was no threat of the qb keeping or throwing. They handed off from the I and were successful 100% of the time.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
I...... actually agree with this, by and large.

Exception being Wisconsin WR. Pryor and Davis, despite being injured last year, have way more potential than what we’re looking at in Lincoln. Without looking I bet each of Pryor and Davis individually have more receptions and yards than all our starting WRs combined.

Iowa has two NFL corners.
Northwestern has a legit future 1st round CB.

Its really more about respecting those units just a bit more.
Iowa most likely has three NFL corners as they got Xavier Williams, who was a two time first team all conference DB in the MVC through the transfer portal. I think there is to much love for Minnesota here, as this is showing the Gophers with a ton of talent, but I don't think they will finish any higher then 4th in the west. I would wager to say that Wisconsin has more talent then they are being given credit for, they won't be as bad as they were last year. Of course, I can hope they are. LOL

I...... actually agree with this, by and large.

Exception being Wisconsin WR. Pryor and Davis, despite being injured last year, have way more potential than what we’re looking at in Lincoln. Without looking I bet each of Pryor and Davis individually have more receptions and yards than all our starting WRs combined.

Pryor and Davis have been around. They have experience. But they are just guys. No opposing DC in the Big Ten stays up at night worrying about Davis and Pryor.

Iowa most likely has three NFL corners as they got Xavier Williams, who was a two time first team all conference DB in the MVC through the transfer portal. I think there is to much love for Minnesota here, as this is showing the Gophers with a ton of talent, but I don't think they will finish any higher then 4th in the west. I would wager to say that Wisconsin has more talent then they are being given credit for, they won't be as bad as they were last year. Of course, I can hope they are. LOL
It's flawed. They have Purdue DL as last. It's not the worst. Purdue WR's probably better than Minny as well. Have the 3rd team all big ten RB returning, but doesn't mean much either.

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT