ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Tournament Qualification Scenarios - Nebraska has been eliminated

saluno22

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2006
With Minnesota defeating Michigan State and Maryland defeating Rutgers, Michigan State and Maryland both sit at 9-11.

That means the following scenarios get us into the conference tournament:

Scenario #1
- Nebraska sweeps Illinois
- Maryland goes no better than 1-2 at Indiana
- Michigan State goes no better than 1-2 vs. Ohio State
Resulting order:
1. Nebraska (10-12) .455
T2. Maryland (10-13) .435
T2. Michigan State (10-13) .435

Scenario #2
- Nebraska goes 2-1 at Illinois
- Maryland gets swept at Indiana
- Michigan State gets swept vs. Ohio State
Resulting order:
1. Nebraska (9-13) .409
T2. Maryland (9-14) .391
T2. Michigan State (9-14) .391

========

There is a case where Nebraska and Iowa could tie for the 8th spot in the tournament, but Iowa would win on the third tiebreaker:

- Nebraska sweeps Illinois
- One of Maryland and Michigan State goes better than 1-2
- Iowa gets swept vs. Penn State

This would tie Nebraska with Iowa, and these teams split their season series in a Friday DH and cancelled third game.

The next tiebreaker is record vs. common opponents.
IOWA
1-1 vs. Indiana
2-1 at Illinois
2-1 vs. Ohio State
1-2 at Minnesota
TOTAL: 6-5

NEBRASKA
1-2 vs. Minnesota
1-2 at Ohio State
1-2 vs. Indiana
3-0 vs. Illinois in this scenario
TOTAL: 6-5

The third tiebreaker is higher RPI. Iowa is currently #63, Nebraska #111. Three wins for Nebraska and three losses for Iowa won't close that gap.

My assumption is the tiebreakers have not changed since 2015 as I couldn't find any newer information.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Well, it is only his 7th year... What does everybody else think about the direction of the program? Were we spoiled under DVH and it will take a special coach to recapture that magic. Are my expectations too high? Man, I miss the days of hosting Regionals and talk of Super Regionals instead of scenarios that get us into the last spot of the conference tournament.

Well, it is only his 7th year... What does everybody else think about the direction of the program? Were we spoiled under DVH and it will take a special coach to recapture that magic. Are my expectations too high? Man, I miss the days of hosting Regionals and talk of Super Regionals instead of scenarios that get us into the last spot of the conference tournament.

The day our expectations are lowered is the day we should cancel the program.

Direction of the program will get no better under Erstad. He dont have the balls to make changes to make the program better.

The day our expectations are lowered is the day we should cancel the program.
Unfortunately it seems many fans have accepted the Big Ten won't allow us to be good and winning a conference title every 6 years is good enough. I'm fully confident we can be good again if the fans ever demand it. I just don't know if and when that will happen.

It may not be reasonable to expect DVH like results but surely we can do better than what Erstad has produced. The fact that he has only won one Big Ten title and zero tournament titles in 7 years says it all. And to top it off, his teams vanish in regional play. Our only chance is to hope like hell he has the itch to manage in the majors.

Reactions: HuskersNC
Unfortunately it seems many fans have accepted the Big Ten won't allow us to be good and winning a conference title every 6 years is good enough. I'm fully confident we can be good again if the fans ever demand it. I just don't know if and when that will happen.
I don't think it's just being in the Big Ten-I think having Erstad has allowed fans to lower their expectations. Too many fans I think care more about being comfortable with having a former Husker in charge than demanding excellence. And the longer we wallow in the mediocrity we've been in, the harder it is to convince people that we can do better than this.

Nebraska, Michigan State, and Maryland all lost today.

Nebraska is not yet eliminated and qualifies if they win the next two AND Maryland and Michigan State both lose their next two.

Nebraska, Michigan State, and Maryland all lost today.

Nebraska is not yet eliminated and qualifies if they win the next two AND Maryland and Michigan State both lose their next two.
disbelief-gif-2.gif

Reactions: saluno22
Michigan State has defeated Ohio State 6-2.

Nebraska has been officially eliminated from Big Ten tournament contention.

I don't think it's just being in the Big Ten-I think having Erstad has allowed fans to lower their expectations. Too many fans I think care more about being comfortable with having a former Husker in charge than demanding excellence. And the longer we wallow in the mediocrity we've been in, the harder it is to convince people that we can do better than this.
All they have to do is look at the results when Bolt was here. The team actually won games in the Big 10 tournament! Now if DE removes himself from "command" of the offense, lets Mike Kirby go back to the west coast and finds another assistant who can do all his heavy lifting for him, fine.

Michigan State has defeated Ohio State 6-2.

Nebraska has been officially eliminated from Big Ten tournament contention.

What an embarrassment this program has become. Not even making it to the tournament, when the tournament is being held in Omaha. WTF?!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT