12. Michigan State (17-30, 5-12)
13. Penn State (20-22, 3-16)

Games for Friday, May 10
Northwestern at Rutgers
Penn State at Ohio State
Michigan State at #24 Iowa
Purdue at #25 Illinois
Maryland at Minnesota
Arizona State at Nebraska (6:30 p.m. - NET / BTN2Go)
Indiana at Michigan

Reactions: saluno22
Looks like this weekend we fall to at least #4 with Iowa hosting Michigan State. Then again, Sparty has won a few games lately.

If Iowa and Minnesota win 2+ and Illinois sweeps (not much of a stretch) we fall to the #6 seed with one weekend to go. Though we could very easily be in a four-way tie for third, losing on tiebreakers to the other three.

On the flip side, it’s possible we could be all alone in second place. That would be nice, but I’m not holding my breath.

I've been trying to figure out if there is any way we fall past 8th and fail to make the B1G tournament. It's kind of hard to tell since some teams still have 6 games left, but it looks like it may be possible, but very unlikely.

I've been trying to figure out if there is any way we fall past 8th and fail to make the B1G tournament. It's kind of hard to tell since some teams still have 6 games left, but it looks like it may be possible, but very unlikely.
I think there's a scenario where if we get swept by Michigan and northwestern wins 5 of 6 we don't make it but I could be wrong

I think there's a scenario where if we get swept by Michigan and northwestern wins 5 of 6 we don't make it but I could be wrong
If they sweep or win 2 of 3 against Rutgers though, then it's impossible for us to drop below Rutgers because they couldn't finish with a better record than us. This is why it's so hard to figure out right now-we'll know more after this weekend when everybody just has 3 games left.

We already have 13 wins, it's going to be real hard to slip to 9th in the standings. Five teams won't get in and Penn St plus MSU will definitely be two of them. Here's the five teams needing 13 wins to steal our spot
- Penn St (3-16) eliminated.
- MSU (5-12) eliminated.
- Purdue (7-10) at Illinois, vs OSU left. Scratch them.
- Rutgers (8-9) vs NW, at Indiana . Can't see it.
- Maryland (8-10) at MN, vs Iowa. Five wins? Nope.

We're a lock to finish above Purdue b/c they need two sweeps to tie us but we own that tiebreaker, right? Rutgers and Maryland could sweep and move ahead of us but their schedules... oof.

I actually think we finish 6th ahead of those five and also NW, OSU.

We haven’t clinched a spot yet. Only Michigan has. But we can clinch this weekend if all the following things happen:

Maryland loses 2+ at Minnesota
Northwestern loses 2+ at Rutgers
Purdue loses 1+ at Illinois
Ohio State loses 1+ vs. Penn State

There are probably scenarios where we can clinch on tiebreakers if Maryland wins twice and/or Ohio State sweeps Penn State but I don’t have time to do that math.

We already have 13 wins, it's going to be real hard to slip to 9th in the standings. Five teams won't get in and Penn St plus MSU will definitely be two of them. Here's the five teams needing 13 wins to steal our spot
- Penn St (3-16) eliminated.
- MSU (5-12) eliminated.
- Purdue (7-10) at Illinois, vs OSU left. Scratch them.
- Rutgers (8-9) vs NW, at Indiana . Can't see it.
- Maryland (8-10) at MN, vs Iowa. Five wins? Nope.

We're a lock to finish above Purdue b/c they need two sweeps to tie us but we own that tiebreaker, right? Rutgers and Maryland could sweep and move ahead of us but their schedules... oof.

I actually think we finish 6th ahead of those five and also NW, OSU.
I looked it over myself, and I tried to put all of the scenarios together. At first I thought it was impossible for it to happen, but it looks like it might be technically possible(i'm still not absolutely sure), but highly, highly unlikely. A lot of really unusual things would have to happen which are almost certainly not going to happen.

We're a lock to finish above Purdue b/c they need two sweeps to tie us but we own that tiebreaker, right?
Not quite a lock. Purdue had a game canceled so if they go 6-0 and we go 0-3, they edge us out, 13-10 to 13-11.

Good point. Not a lock. They not gonna sweep tho, right? Right?
Really can't see them sweeping Illinois in Champaign. If that happened, that would put Illinois on the brink, and they would have to sweep Michigan State in East Lansing to tie us(they would win the tiebreaker of course). This all assumes we get swept by Michigan, which is unfortunately not the wildest of the scenarios.

Side question wandering around in my head - Indiana, Illinois and Iowa all have a good chance to tie for 2nd place.
Iowa swept Illinois, was swept by Indiana
Indiana swept Iowa, lost the Illinois series
Illinois beat Indiana, was swept by Iowa.

How does that seeding get sorted out?

At one point we were looking at what it would take to win the conference. Now we are trying to figure out if there is a way we are left out of the conference tournament. The trajectory of this team in the wrong direction is frustrating.

Reactions: k9_r and sklarbodds
Side question wandering around in my head - Indiana, Illinois and Iowa all have a good chance to tie for 2nd place.
Iowa swept Illinois, was swept by Indiana
Indiana swept Iowa, lost the Illinois series
Illinois beat Indiana, was swept by Iowa.

How does that seeding get sorted out?
2. Indiana
3. Iowa
4. Illinois

Tie for #2 is broken by best record among all games played between the three. Indiana was 4-2, Iowa 3-3, Illinois 2-4.

Tie for #3 is broken by head-to-head. Iowa 3-0 vs. Illinois.

I think.

Reactions: saluno22 and k9_r
Penn State’s 10-6 win in game two of today’s doubleheader against Ohio State has clinched a spot in the Big Ten tournament for Nebraska.

Reactions: saluno22
Interestingly enough, if Ohio State had won that game (and Penn State tried to make it happen in the ninth) Nebraska would have entered the final weekend with the possibilities of being seeded as high as #1 and as low as out of the tournament altogether!

Reactions: k9_r and saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT