Games for Friday, April 1
Minnesota at Rutgers
Iowa at Michigan
Northwestern at Indiana
Nebraska at Ohio State (5:00 PM - BTN+)
Michigan State at Evansville
Penn State at Maryland
Purdue at Illinois
This is why I think NU still has a chance at a Regional. Are we a good baseball team right now? No. However, if the Big Ten is a 3-4 bid league who gets in? I think it will be a two team race for the title (Michigan and Maryland) and then at some point we will find out if Purdue is any good. After that what do we have? Average Iowa and Rutgers teams?

The bottom of the league is so horrendous that if NU can figure out any semblance of consistency they will win some ball games. Will they go on a big enough run to climb in the standings and finish hot in the tourney? I can't answer that with confidence, but I know there is a boat load of young talent on this club and I really believe in the coaching staff.

The biggest obstacle to overcome will be our eye-poppingly bad RPI. With 30 games left NU can still turn this season around.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
From what we have seen, I don’t see how Nebraska plays 5 games over .500 for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately, I think the B1G is closer to a 1 bid league than a 3-4 bid league.
The best RPIs in the league at the moment are:

Maryland: 13
Michigan: 40
Rutgers: 62
Purdue: 74

Maryland and Michigan would clearly get in if today were selection Monday. Rutgers and Purdue will have the opportunity to improve by doing well in league play. I’d say it’s a 2-4 bid league as of this moment. The Huskers can still turn it around and finish high in the conference standings. But will they?

In any event, Nebraska’s best path to a regional will probably be to (finally) win that tournament in Omaha in late May.

Shit 10 will get 2 in this year if they are lucky. Only 3 teams currently with close to a good record. PURDUE, MARYLAND and RUTGERS. Everybody else is hot garbage.

Shit 10 will get 2 in this year if they are lucky. Only 3 teams currently with close to a good record. PURDUE, MARYLAND and RUTGERS. Everybody else is hot garbage.
Michigan might be the best team in the league. It's a little early to throw teams out due to non conference records and early season RPI. There is a zero percent chance the Big Ten is a 1 bid league.

RPI is not in our favor as we really haven’t played good competition outside of TCU (Quad 1) and Michigan (quad 1). Although Sam Houston (quad 2) is steadily creeping up. Being 2-8 against quad 1 and 2 level teams won’t help. Losing the Long Beach State series didn’t help the RPI either. Getting swept by them would of been better than splitting with Omaha.

Rutgers, BYU, Iowa, and a couple decent midweek RPI teams are all opportunities to get it turned around though, so not all is lost. Although I have zero confidence in this team to get there in it’s current state.

It is still early but the best way to rectify it and give ourselves a chance is to simply get hot and win most of our remaining games. Of course winning the Big Ten Tournament in Omaha is always an option as well.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT