10. Iowa (4-8)
10. Penn State (4-8)
12. Minnesota (3-9)
13. Purdue (2-10)

Games for Saturday, March 27
Michigan at Penn State
Iowa at Ohio State
Indiana at Michigan State
Minnesota at Nebraska (7 inn - 12:00 PM - BTN+)
Minnesota at Nebraska (9 inn - 45 min after Game #1 - BTN+)

Northwestern at Illinois
Rutgers at Purdue
Iowa vs. Maryland (at Columbus, OH)

Reactions: saluno22 and Gate26
Huskers Beat Gophers in Home Opener, 6-1
Huskers.com

Lincoln – In front of a limited crowd of 1,647 fans on Friday afternoon at Hawks Field the Nebraska baseball team posted a 6-1 win over the Minnesota Golden Gophers in the 2021 home opener. Cade Povich struck out 10 over 7.0 shutout innings and the NU offense notched 11 hits, including two each from Jaxon Hallmark, Luke Roskam, Mojo Hagge and Griffin Everitt.

Povich set a career high with his 7.0 innings of work on Friday, topping his previous best of 6.2 innings against Columbia last season. The junior left hander has now recorded double-digit strikeouts in two of his last three starts, including a career-high 12 against Ohio State on March 12. Povich put the Gophers down in order three times on Friday and allowed just four hits and no walks.

Povich retired the Gophers in order to start the game and then received support from his offense. Hallmark stepped in with one out and blasted a 2-1 offering over the left field fence for his second home run of the season, giving the Huskers a 1-0 lead.

Povich struck out the side in the top of the third before NU's offense added another run. Joe Acker led off with a single and two batters later scored all the way from first on Spencer Schwellenbach's fifth double the season.

Trailing 2-0, the Gophers were able to bring the tying run to the plate in the fourth after Zack Rabbe opened the inning with a double, but Povich responded with three straight strikeouts. Povich notched his fourth straight strikeout to start the fifth and went on to retire the Gophers in order with a ground out and a fly out.

Nebraska added to its lead in the bottom of the sixth with three runs on three hits, with all three runs crossing the plate with two outs. Cam Chick led off with a single, Max Anderson walked and then Roskam executed a sacrifice bunt that put two runners in scoring position. Efry Cervantes hit into a fielder's choice, as Rabbe at second base was able to field the ground ball and cut down Chick at home. With runners on the corners and two out the Gophers went to reliever Tom Skoro, who promptly gave up back-to-back RBI singles to Hagge and Everitt. The Huskers then executed a double steal and on the play catcher Chase Stanke threw wide of second base and Hagge was able to score, increasing NU's lead to 5-0. Skoro was able to end the inning with a strikeout.

Working with a 5-0 lead Povich retired the Gophers in order in the seventh, including his 10th strikeout of the game to end the frame.

Minnesota was able to get on the board in the top of the eighth when it scored a run on three hits, but Braxton Bragg quickly ended the threat with an inning-ending double play. Nebraska got the run back in the bottom of the frame when Roskam led off with a single and later scored on a single from Everitt.

The Huskers and Gophers are set for a doubleheader tomorrow, with game one set for Noon. The second game of the day will start approximately 45 minutes after the end of game one.

Why only a 7 inning first game tomorrow?

They did the same thing on Saturday againt Purdue at the start of the season..

When playing a double hitter against the same team on Saturday the first game is only 7 innings unless it’s a tie..

They did the same thing on Saturday againt Purdue at the start of the season..

When playing a double hitter against the same team on Saturday the first game is only 7 innings unless it’s a tie..
What’s interesting is if the first game goes into “extra innings” then the 2nd game reverts to a 7 inning game.

Is that a Big Ten rule or is that common? I guess we havent really done double headers except for weather.

Is that a Big Ten rule or is that common? I guess we haven't really done double headers except for weather.
I remember just a few years ago we swept a mid week double header with Arkansas and in one of those games we pitched a combined no hitter. We've also played several double headers in the early non-con road trips. I seem to remember it was a regular thing in Erstad's scheduling.

This seven inning thing is new this year and it's a Big Ten deal said to be done to help the pitching staff get through their four game weekends. Sounds weak to me.

This seven inning thing is new this year and it's a Big Ten deal said to be done to help the pitching staff get through their four game weekends. Sounds weak to me.
Agreed but MLB played two 7-inning games on doubleheader days in 2020. I’m still surprised the Big Ten didn’t follow suit. The typical league weekend for a very long time was 9-inning games on Friday/Sunday and two 7-inning games on Saturday.

I thought I had read that the Big Ten was adopting the MLB 2020 extra inning rule of starting each half inning with a runner on second base but that wasn’t done in yesterday’s UM-PSU 10-inning affair. Maybe it’s only implemented in doubleheaders. Or I may have dreamed it.

The typical league weekend for a very long time was 9-inning games on Friday/Sunday and two 7-inning games on Saturday.
Which league did that? Never heard of it.
As far as the extra inning rule, I heard that too but have not seen an example of it.

Which league did that? Never heard of it.
As far as the extra inning rule, I heard that too but have not seen an example of it.
Big Ten. I can't remember the year they switched, but they had 4-game weekend series at least in the 90s, maybe into the 2000s.

If I can remember to find the file I started a few years ago trying to figure out the Big Ten scheduling "rotation", I'll see when this occurred.

Big Ten. I can't remember the year they switched, but they had 4-game weekend series at least in the 90s, maybe into the 2000s.

If I can remember to find the file I started a few years ago trying to figure out the Big Ten scheduling "rotation", I'll see when this occurred.
Big Ten, huh? Why am I not surprised. Baseball really is an orphan with these guys isn't it?

Reactions: donahues17
I think the Missouri Valley did 4-game weekends once upon a time, too. I seem to recall that windbag Gene Stephenson complaining about it.

Big Ten, huh? Why am I not surprised. Baseball really is an orphan with these guys isn't it?
I went back to look, the Big Ten had 4-game weekend series as recently as 2008.

Interesting find: Michigan and Michigan State would split the location of their regular season series... Friday and Sunday at the site which was supposed to be the host in the normal rotation, then Saturday at the other location. When these were 4-game series, it was a DH at the Saturday site and single games at the Friday/Sunday site.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT