ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Players of the Week (3/16)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Player of the Week
SS - Benjamin Cowles, Maryland (JR)

- Delivered a 1.500 slugging percentage to help the Terrapins split their series vs. Rutgers
- Went 6-for-14 at the plate, with six runs scored, eight RBIs and five home runs
- Leads the team in batting average (.375), runs scored (8), hits (9), home runs (6) and RBI (11)
- Wins his first career Big Ten Player of the Week award
- Last Maryland Player of the Week: AJ Lee (May 20, 2019)

Pitcher of the Week
P - McCade Brown, Indiana (SO)

- Tossed seven shutout innings in Saturday's 8-0 victory over Penn State
- Matched the Indiana school record with a career-high 16 strikeouts
- Struck out every Penn State starter at least once in the victory, sitting 15 straight Nittany Lions and posting 13 strikeouts and two groundouts in the stretch
- Wins his first career Pitcher of the Week award
- Last Indiana Pitcher of the Week: Tommy Sommer (March 10, 2021)

Freshman of the Week
OF - Josh Rodriguez, Rutgers (FR)

- Helped the Scarlet Knights to a series split vs. Maryland last weekend
- Registered a .389 batting average on the week as the leadoff hitter with seven hits, five runs, four RBI, two doubles, two home runs and a stolen base
- Recorded a .421 on-base percentage and a .833 slugging percentage
- Wins his first Freshman of the Week award
- Last Rutgers Freshman of the Week: Harry Rutkowski (March 26, 2018)

Laughing
Maryland SS and Rutgers OF both win honors while playing against each other. Neutral fan watching that series needed to keep his head on a swivel. Look left, see THIS, look right, see THAT.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
McCade Brown, Indiana (SO)
- Tossed seven shutout innings in Saturday's 8-0 victory over Penn State

Shutout? Try seven no hit innings. Reliever came on and promptly gave up a leadoff single ending the no-no. Brown threw 101 pitches, 2 BB, 16 Ks.

From D1Baseball.com's weekly chat

Q: What's your thought on how Nebraska has looked so far, they had a nice 5-game win streak before dropping two on Sunday?

Aaron Fitt:
I think I was the high man on Nebraska among our staff heading into the season -- I thought they'd be part of that big clump of teams jostling for position in the top 6 or so. Really like the Povich-Hroch-Schanaman group in the rotation, like the bullpen depth, and I like the top half of the lineup. Hukers have played well through two weeks, and I feel even more comfortable regarding them as a top-five team in the Big Ten. I suspect those teams will be jostling for position all year long.

Reactions: sklarbodds
From D1Baseball.com's weekly chat

Q: What's your thought on how Nebraska has looked so far, they had a nice 5-game win streak before dropping two on Sunday?

Aaron Fitt:
I think I was the high man on Nebraska among our staff heading into the season -- I thought they'd be part of that big clump of teams jostling for position in the top 6 or so. Really like the Povich-Hroch-Schanaman group in the rotation, like the bullpen depth, and I like the top half of the lineup. Hukers have played well through two weeks, and I feel even more comfortable regarding them as a top-five team in the Big Ten. I suspect those teams will be jostling for position all year long.
It’s super-lame D1’s chat is now premium content. Thanks for sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT