ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Only Season

I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around this only conference games thing. How is it better for Nebraska to lose three home games, but still have trips to NJ and Ohio? How is it more logical for Iowa to cancel games with ISU and UNI, but still travel 700 miles to Happy Valley?

It's so they have everything under one roof so to speak in order to make adjustments and decisions on the fly as quickly as possible.

Travel isn't really an issue, these teams all have team buses and team planes and team hotels/facilities so these guys are more isolated and sterilized flying halfway across the country than most people are just going to the grocery store.

12 conference games is even worse for NU's record prospects than 10. Pretty much guarantee we pick up Michigan and MSU with 12 games. Michigan is a loss, MSU I would give the edge to the home team.

I assume he wants 12 games for the money. I don't see how you can possibly hold normal home games with very many fans this year, is the TV money on a per game basis?

Reactions: NikkiSixx
12 conference games is even worse for NU's record prospects than 10. Pretty much guarantee we pick up Michigan and MSU with 12 games. Michigan is a loss, MSU I would give the edge to the home team.

I assume he wants 12 games for the money. I don't see how you can possibly hold normal home games with very many fans this year, is the TV money on a per game basis?
exactly.. you want to fulfill the tv contract with the same number of games. otherwise, they are going to ding you on what you earn

They would be better off just waiting until spring and playing the whole season then. As soon as one team or college campus has a major outbreak, they are going to shut down sports again anyway.

After the election in November, nobody will care about Covid anymore. So just wait and play in the spring.

They would be better off just waiting until spring and playing the whole season then. As soon as one team or college campus has a major outbreak, they are going to shut down sports again anyway.

After the election in November, nobody will care about Covid anymore. So just wait and play in the spring.

Then what? Follow it up with a fall season a few weeks later? Would kids that are early enrollees be eligible to play in the spring? What does that do to their time clock? How do we handle transfer players?

Ah, nothing like telling a guy to relax who is already relaxed and then calling him "bud" when you're not buds. (sips lightly) That's some good 2020 internet.
cheers-beer-gif.gif

Reactions: TennesseeHusker75
I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around this only conference games thing. How is it better for Nebraska to lose three home games, but still have trips to NJ and Ohio? How is it more logical for Iowa to cancel games with ISU and UNI, but still travel 700 miles to Happy Valley?
This all ties back to tv revenue. Isu and UNI are not conference members. BIG needs to fulfill it's tv obligations and having 10 games over 13 weeks amoung conference members allows BIG to move games around in case a game may be affected by covid. Just because your ticket says a certain game will be played on a certain date doesn't mean it can't be moved in season. Be ready to be flexible.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
My initial reaction was it's stupid to play conference only games but now I see it's a last resort. The flexibility is the key because there absolutely will be hiccups. Everyone is desperate for the tv money. Moos is just trying to squeeze some extra money out of the deal knowing we stand to gain financially more than most by adding 2 more games. Very glad to have Moos as AD right now.

My initial reaction was it's stupid to play conference only games but now I see it's a last resort. The flexibility is the key because there absolutely will be hiccups. Everyone is desperate for the tv money. Moos is just trying to squeeze some extra money out of the deal knowing we stand to gain financially more than most by adding 2 more games. Very glad to have Moos as AD right now.

That flexibility should include the possibility of having non-conference games. Let's say Iowa St and Nebraska both have their opponents cancel, they should be able to schedule each other.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
That flexibility should include the possibility of having non-conference games. Let's say Iowa St and Nebraska both have their opponents cancel, they should be able to schedule each other.
Agree that would be best but I suppose it might be too hard get everyone to agree to testing procedures for that ooc game and get an opponent to agree as well. Some schools might be able to afford big ten testing procedures. That's why the conference only schedule makes it easier, one set of guidelines.

Agree that would be best but I suppose it might be too hard get everyone to agree to testing procedures for that ooc game and get an opponent to agree as well. Some schools might be able to afford big ten testing procedures. That's why the conference only schedule makes it easier, one set of guidelines.

If thats what the dictating measure is, just cancel the season altogether. The conference really painted themselves into a corner. This whole thing should have been predicated on national death rate and not positive tests amongst the team. How do you set a protocol for testing that doesn’t basically equate to a few hours before the game and have it mean anything? By that time, everybody has traveled and prepped for the game. TV is lined up just to be canceled shortly before the game. This just can't work. Even if they say that testing occurs immediately after the prior game, there's still 6 1/2 days for players to test positive and then transmit it to the next guys. Its just a totally unworkable model.

I wonder if teams would consider having a few non-conference "scrimmages" in the spring, to make up the lost revenue from non-conference games in the fall? We could scrimmage Iowa State, Kansas State, Missouri?

If thats what the dictating measure is, just cancel the season altogether. The conference really painted themselves into a corner. This whole thing should have been predicated on national death rate and not positive tests amongst the team. How do you set a protocol for testing that doesn’t basically equate to a few hours before the game and have it mean anything? By that time, everybody has traveled and prepped for the game. TV is lined up just to be canceled shortly before the game. This just can't work. Even if they say that testing occurs immediately after the prior game, there's still 6 1/2 days for players to test positive and then transmit it to the next guys. Its just a totally unworkable model.
The problems with going with death rate is initially doctors didn't know exactly how to treat it. Experimentation and research brought solutions which have lowered the death rate. If you don't believe this is real and serious, I'm here to tell you it is. I'm a covid-19 survivor. Happy to say I didn't suffer the extremes but believe me the level I was at was no picnic

The problems with going with death rate is initially doctors didn't know exactly how to treat it. Experimentation and research brought solutions which have lowered the death rate. If you don't believe this is real and serious, I'm here to tell you it is. I'm a covid-19 survivor. Happy to say I didn't suffer the extremes but believe me the level I was at was no picnic
Don't get me wrong, I do think it's real and dangerous. I'm just looking at how to navigate a football season and just see no way possible of doing it with a moving target.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's real and dangerous. I'm just looking at how to navigate a football season and just see no way possible of doing it with a moving target.
I'm watching high school summers sports here in Iowa discontinue their seasons because of players testing positive. I think it will be possible to start a college season, but am not optimistic that it can be finished. As the old Stones song goes "you don't always get what you want."

Reactions: scarletred

Meh, you act like none of the other teams' schedules will get more difficult. If anything, the standings at the end of the season will be more accurate than one with a handful of teams that banked off 3 easy non conf wins.

Could be a possibility that when changing these schedules that Kevin Warren might decide having everyone play games in their own division and the possibility of playing home and home with the exception of one team..

Could be a possibility that when changing these schedules that Kevin Warren might decide having everyone play games in their own division and the possibility of playing home and home with the exception of one team..
I don't think that's mathematically possible with a seven-team division.
If Nebraska doesn't play Illinois, and Iowa doesn't play Northwestern, and Minnesota doesn't play Purdue, then Wisconsin doesn't play .... ????

You'd have to play four teams twice (8 games) and two teams once (2) for 10.

I don't think that's mathematically possible with a seven-team division.
If Nebraska doesn't play Illinois, and Iowa doesn't play Northwestern, and Minnesota doesn't play Purdue, then Wisconsin doesn't play .... ????

You'd have to play four teams twice (8 games) and two teams once (2) for 10.

I should have brought up that is going by a 12 game schedule and providing the season gets started on Labor Day weekend..

Reactions: 9and4
This is why this has gotta over blown, imo this country has gotten soft. This isn’t nuclear fallout it’s not even scarlet fever or polio. This country didn’t shut down in 1957 where 160,000 died from a virus

162,000 dead and counting from covid-19 in less than 6 months.

162,000 dead and counting from covid-19 in less than 6 months.

3 Million Americans die every year. The median age of death for Covid is 80 years old. Almost half of these deaths have been people in nursing homes and long-care facilities (i.e. people who are old and sick). If you’re a mostly healthy person under age 40, you are more likely to die of influenza. Almost all younger deaths have had multiple other co-morbidities and/or obesity.

I’m not saying the virus is a hoax, but the media sensationalism has made it much worse. And the medical “experts” blew it. From the beginning, they should have focused on protecting the elderly and nursing homes, and told everyone else to wear masks and get on with their lives. Shutting down the economy for a virus that is mostly mild for working-age people will go down as one of the dumbest ideas ever and will have negative consequences for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT