ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Only Season

I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around this only conference games thing. How is it better for Nebraska to lose three home games, but still have trips to NJ and Ohio? How is it more logical for Iowa to cancel games with ISU and UNI, but still travel 700 miles to Happy Valley?

If I am not symptomatic, sneezing, coughing and not in someone's space, I am not wearing an oxygen-depriving petri dish. Hopefully, 20 years of volunteer teaching of fertility awareness methods to engaged and married couples, so the female is not on the Pill (Group 1 carcinogen that also causes blood clots and sudden death) means that I, too, care for people's well being and am not merely a heartless, murderous maniac without a mask. Don't honestly care what others think. I do know that the first person that confronts me about non mask wearing will be invited, in no uncertain terms, to practice social distancing.

You don't have to be symptomatic to transmit the virus.
https://www.healthline.com/health-n...om#What-we-now-know-about-asymptomatic-spread

I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around this only conference games thing. How is it better for Nebraska to lose three home games, but still have trips to NJ and Ohio? How is it more logical for Iowa to cancel games with ISU and UNI, but still travel 700 miles to Happy Valley?
According to the commissioner of the B1G, it will be easier to make changes during the season if all games are within the conference.

This is why this has gotta over blown, imo this country has gotten soft. This isn’t nuclear fallout it’s not even scarlet fever or polio. This country didn’t shut down in 1957 where 160,000 died from a virus
Is it really that hard for you to have a mask on for 5 minutes while you go pick up a 6 pack of beer? Or is it just your ego?

If I am not symptomatic, sneezing, coughing and not in someone's space, I am not wearing an oxygen-depriving petri dish. Hopefully, 20 years of volunteer teaching of fertility awareness methods to engaged and married couples, so the female is not on the Pill (Group 1 carcinogen that also causes blood clots and sudden death) means that I, too, care for people's well being and am not merely a heartless, murderous maniac without a mask. Don't honestly care what others think. I do know that the first person that confronts me about non mask wearing will be invited, in no uncertain terms, to practice social distancing.
LOL, it's been proven that masks have no effect on your ability to breathe. Perhaps better dental hygiene will make wearing a mask more tolerable. Laughing

Some people don’t like the government telling them what they can or can’t do. Maybe that’s his issue.
I understand that. Seems like common sense and decency to me, oh well. Of topic.

C ya Cincy. Sure would be nice to get 2 W's in 1 season from an Iowa home/home!

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Did they take measures to ensure the safety of people because of h1N1?

This is all about liability and recognition of the fact that there is a threat to life and having taken measures against it, but not all encompassing measures. By their actions they have recognized that by watching athletes play football games, people could die. Its no longer an "at your own risk" type of thing. Its a "we knew you might die but come on over" type of thing.

So I'll mark you down as "No" for that answer.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The conference and their members just painted themselves into a corner. No season and no on campus classes this year.

You can't publicly recognize that your actions and allowances may kill people and take half measures without opening yourself up to huge liability. This was really stupid.

The virus kills people, less and less every day, the university does not.

It's interesting how a certain portion of the population always tries to blame someone else.

Some people don’t like the government telling them what they can or can’t do. Maybe that’s his issue.

it’s odd that in other times in our history when our society and freedom were threatened the government took away many of our freedoms and our civil liberties were constrained.

the draft is the ultimate example - the government told young men that by law you were going to join the military, be trained, and in many cases go to a theatre where your risk of mortality is multiplied several fold above normal

masking and social distancing are recommended world wide with little variation by public health agencies

the anti-maskers and anti- social distancing crowd are modern day draft dodgers -

Last edited:
My family has always been socially responsible.

During WWII my grandpa never cheated on his gas ration card even though there was plenty of gasoline for the war effort. He worked to collect scrap metal and paper, which the government turned around and threw in the dump.

In the 60s my dad dug a bomb shelter and stocked it so if the balloon went up people would survive to perpetuate the American way of life. When we did the duck and cover drills I was the first one under my desk so if the reds decided to drop nine hydrogen bombs on Omaha I'd be safe.

In the 70s when science announced the next Ice Age was imminent we went out and bought warm clothes and kerosene heaters.

In the 80s when it was predicted AIDS, which no one knew how it was spread would end life on Earth I stayed indoors and ended all my social relationships.

In the 2000s when science changed their minds about the Ice Age and decided global warming would inundate coastal cities in 15 years I moved inland in SoCal, bought a Yugo and bought lots of sunscreen.

Last February when science told be it was OK to be out and about I booked a cruise. I bought some masks, but threw them away when NIH told me they were not required. Now that science changed their minds and said masks are essential, I went out and bought some more and wear mine dutifully, even alone at home.

Trouble is I have developed a sore elbow from patting myself on the back all these years.

Not saying I agree or disagree but the theory is that richer schools in the B1G have better anti-virus procedures in place with more testing of players/coaches than the much poorer schools which typically make up the majority of the non-conference games. Therefore eliminating non-conference games is supposed to reduce the risk to B1G players/coaches in this contact sport. You can agree or disagree but that's the logic.

Traveling distance was not the major consideration in the decision.

Reactions: headcard
Is it really that hard for you to have a mask on for 5 minutes while you go pick up a 6 pack of beer? Or is it just your ego?
We have one freaking case in my county, and several others pending. I don’t travel to Lincoln,Omaha,Or GI. I’m not scared or have some phobia about wearing a mask, just no need to.

Apparently if you protest for social justice in large crowds you actually decrease the spread of corona according to the media. Instead of football games we should have protests in stadiums with some organized protesters on the field. This way we get football and decrease the spread of corona at the same time.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Explain the thought process behind having a season but only with teams that you have a conference affiliation with? Less likely to catch the rona from Rutgers as opposed to Cincinnati?

Just set a date of August 1 and have set parameters for whether we play the season in totality or cancel. Review after every 2 weeks. This whole approach is silly.
my take is those non conference games won't have to be paid for, and not sure they would involve fans at the games yet anyway, so it helps stem additional losses by not having those games to begin with.

I bet they draw up new schedules

You play everyone in your division, and then a few from the other division.

In some ways, it would make for a more exciting season if you have to play everyone in your division and if they used those results to determine the division champion.

I have never liked that cross division w/l mattered in deciding the divisional champ.

it’s odd that in other times in our history when our society and freedom were threatened the government took away many of our freedoms and our civil liberties were constrained.

the draft is the ultimate example - the government told young men that by law you were going to join the military, be trained, and in many cases go to a theatre where your risk of mortality is multiplied several fold above normal

masking and social distancing are recommended world wide with little variation by public health agencies

the anti-maskers and anti- social distancing crowd are modern day draft dodgers -
When I saw pictures of the village idiots out protesting masks, I thought the same thing. We've had people drafted by the government to go to war, no choice- they had to go. And then lose their life in battle. We honor those veterans as we should. Meanwhile others can't have their personal lives inconvenienced enough to bother wearing a mask.

actually its been proven infections go way down with social distancing and masks. some countries have single digit infections because of their citizens acceptance of those 2 behaviors.

Then you make sure to wear your mask and social distance when flu season hits from here on out....

Apparently if you protest for social justice in large crowds you actually decrease the spread of corona according to the media. Instead of football games we should have protests in stadiums with some organized protesters on the field. This way we get football and decrease the spread of corona at the same time.
I think that the public protests have to also be part of the problem in spreading the virus, but there is a probable reason that it hasn't been as bad as feared. To get infected, experts believe you have to be close to someone for a sustained amount of time. It's called a viral load. A filled stadium would be like the protests in that people would be outside, but since you would be stuck in your seat as opposed to being able to stay on the move, in theory, being in a stadium carries more risk.

When I saw pictures of the village idiots out protesting masks, I thought the same thing. We've had people drafted by the government to go to war, no choice- they had to go. And then lose their life in battle. We honor those veterans as we should. Meanwhile others can't have their personal lives inconvenienced enough to bother wearing a mask.
Well, I for one wear my mask in public because I think it is the smart thing to do. Period.

Although I don't agree with the non-maskers, I do understand where some of them are coming from. It's not just the inconvenience factor for masks, it's a protest against big government/big brother always telling them what they must do and how they must behave. I feel that sentiment too but IMO not wearing masks is the wrong way (ie., not the smart way) to express that feeling. If you feel that way, vote the power hungry dictators in the government out at the ballot box. That's the way to express those sentiments.

JMO.

Apparently if you protest for social justice in large crowds you actually decrease the spread of corona according to the media. Instead of football games we should have protests in stadiums with some organized protesters on the field. This way we get football and decrease the spread of corona at the same time.[/QUOTE

bingo!!!!!

I would suggest football should be played but anyone attending has to send back their stimulus check as they are not helping the situation.... I didn’t get one and am tired of subsidizing stupidity...
Does that also go for anyone protesting and rioting?

Reactions: bshirt73
It has to get from my body into someone else's. If it can do that through osmosis, somehow, when I am not coughing, sneezing, or breathing moistly, in someone's safe space...it is truly a wonder virus, like no other. Just stay home if you're concerned about it, or vulnerable.
when you breath out you release the virus into the air. if you are inside a small space without good ventilation other people in the room can inhale it from the air. thus the recommendations of not being inside with many other people.

At first I guessed they would just add a team like Indiana (or MSU or Maryland or Michigan) to our schedule and work it that way. But now it’s sounding more like all schedules might be scrapped and they might make new ones up....?
I think creating a new schedule is the way it is going to go. How they organize that I have no idea. Going to assume they put priority on division games. I saw an idea on twitter from Chazsocal. Play 12 games with just divisional opponents. So would play every team with a home and home. Then the winner of each division plays for the conf title. Honestly I would be in favor of this format as the new normal.

we all know you are joking of course. a high percentage of protesters were wearing masks. they were all outdoors. i think the schools could allow fans with a mandatory mask mandate. some others have brought up an issue with lines in bathrooms and congregating in certain areas.
any organization will be concerned about their image if there would be a large outbreak due to an on campus event. comparing the two is ridiculous

we all know you are joking of course. a high percentage of protesters were wearing masks. they were all outdoors. i think the schools could allow fans with a mandatory mask mandate. some others have brought up an issue with lines in bathrooms and congregating in certain areas.
any organization will be concerned about their image if there would be a large outbreak due to an on campus event. comparing the two is ridiculous
I'm not joking, the media is reporting that if you protest for social justice your decreasing spread of corona but if you go to church or protest the lockdown you'll kill grandma and help spread grandma. Morality police is here.

I would suggest football should be played but anyone attending has to send back their stimulus check as they are not helping the situation.... I didn’t get one and am tired of subsidizing stupidity...

I'd be ecstatic if I only had to subsidize $1200 worth of stupidity. That's a drop in the bucket compared to what I pay.

It has to get from my body into someone else's. If it can do that through osmosis, somehow, when I am not coughing, sneezing, or breathing moistly, in someone's safe space...it is truly a wonder virus, like no other. Just stay home if you're concerned about it, or vulnerable.

You breath moistly?

Reactions: ZaneHickey
Draft dodging is the perfect analogy. Same chickenhawk mentality, make a bunch of noise but wouldn't actually do anything when your number is called and you have to put it on the line for something greater than yourself.

We got dudes in the desert right now in uniform in 120 degree heat but waaaaa it's hooooooot under a maaaaaaask!

They'll give you BS excuses to fill up a whole week of your time but the bottom line is you're a p***y and you know it, so you're grasping at straws to try to appear tough as a way to compensate. It's virtue signaling but for fake toughness.

A high percentage of stats are made up on the spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT