ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Only Season

I would speculate that OSU and/or UM has had a hand in guiding the conference in making this decision. Both probably figured had more to lose than to gain with early cross country travel for non-conference games.

I would speculate that OSU and/or UM has had a hand in guiding the conference in making this decision. Both probably figured had more to lose than to gain with early cross country travel for non-conference games.

the big ten task force that is advising on these matters is chaired by a representative of the univ of nebraksa

Reactions: Red I 73
The way things are trending. Nebraska, at least before school goes back in session, has been doing fairly well in all of this while most of the rest of the nation currently has not.

Is it possible that Nebraska would be able to play while much of the conference cannot? What happens then? Would NU have to cancel the season because the eastern states in the conference cannot play?

If your at risk stay home
everyone knows that virtually everyone and both political parties have admitted there needs to be a balance between optimizing safety and trying to live some sort of reasonable lifestyle. So that is what everyone is trying to do. it is not about solely one over the other. So this appears to be trying to strike a balance. to my knowledge the league only schedule is more about having lots of open dates so teams that have a lot of positives can take a week or 2 off before playing another game. it gives flexibility in a world that demands flexibility

The way things are trending. Nebraska, at least before school goes back in session, has been doing fairly well in all of this while most of the rest of the nation currently has not.

Is it possible that Nebraska would be able to play while much of the conference cannot? What happens then? Would NU have to cancel the season because the eastern states in the conference cannot play?
I would say yes. It'll be a conference decision made conference wide

Reactions: Dean Pope
so much for my predictions of an on-time start.

my april/may fervor that we'd play the season as scheduled did not take into account an explosive & unconscionable crime and the hundreds of thousands of COVID cases to follow. we were on track until then.

@jflores, @scarletred, I was wrong & gave both of you plenty of grief for your opposing stance. I'm owning it here.

ACC, PAC12 expected to announce conference-only schedules tomorrow.

My prediction is in two weeks it will be announced there will be no fall sports. To many hire up people that have the sky is falling attitude. Problem is most of these colleges sports programs will be broke. I’m neutral on a mask wear it if you want to but if you choose not to I’m fine. Again the virus will still be around, it’s not stopping if you social distancing or wear a mask.

After NU hoops lost to Indiana in the B1G Tournament, I said that NU hoops will be the next sports we see.

Explain the thought process behind having a season but only with teams that you have a conference affiliation with? Less likely to catch the rona from Rutgers as opposed to Cincinnati?

Just set a date of August 1 and have set parameters for whether we play the season in totality or cancel. Review after every 2 weeks. This whole approach is silly.
Driven by tv revenue. Times slots will be filled with conference action to make sure members participate. They can be rescheduled during bye weeks if necessary. No payout to non con teams.

My prediction is in two weeks it will be announced there will be no fall sports. To many hire up people that have the sky is falling attitude. Problem is most of these colleges sports programs will be broke. I’m neutral on a mask wear it if you want to but if you choose not to I’m fine. Again the virus will still be around, it’s not stopping if you social distancing or wear a mask.
Actually, you are protecting others by wearing the mask from anything you may expell while talking, coughing or breathing. It's for others protection unless you don't care.

Actually, you are protecting others by wearing the mask from anything you may expell while talking, coughing or breathing. It's for others protection unless you don't care.
If a person isn’t infected why should you wear one? I’ve been tested I’m negative I don’t think I need to wear a mask

I thought the ultimate goal was to save lives, not maximize profits. What happens if there's a huge outbreak in Columbus Ohio? Are they allowed to cancel? What makes big10 teams any different than any other team if the goal really is to limit the spread/death toll?

You stay home and clutch your pearls. The rest of us have football games to go to, tailgates to drink at, and coeds to ogle.

Explain the thought process behind having a season but only with teams that you have a conference affiliation with? Less likely to catch the rona from Rutgers as opposed to Cincinnati?

Just set a date of August 1 and have set parameters for whether we play the season in totality or cancel. Review after every 2 weeks. This whole approach is silly.
From what I read they did this not due to location but to be able to easily control and make adjustments on a moments notice to not have to try to work with other conferences.

If a person isn’t infected why should you wear one? I’ve been tested I’m negative I don’t think I need to wear a mask

yeah but do you really trust the person next to you, that may have it, that may cough on you and then you’ll get it for not wearing a mask to prevent you from inhaling it? I sure don’t.

I blame everyone not wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing for everything being canceled. If you can't do those two easy things then you're both selfish and an ahole.

Except "social distancing" is made up garbage and masks are likely counterproductive...

It'd be much more prudent on blaming the "flattening of the curve" and dragging all this nonsense out, but call people names, I'm sure that'll help convince them.

Well said. I don't have an answer to any of that, but my guess is that there may be built in bye weeks or even a week or two at the end of the season where a game could be moved by to. Or... since we're lucky to have any football at all at this point, just cancel the game and some teams may only play nine games, maybe eight games, whatever.

I hope they plan on starting the schedule as soon as possible. I don't see any logic in moving it back toward fall or even playing in November. COVID is expected to be worse by then anyway and it's not like the pandemic numbers will get better in early August anyway. Just wait until these schools get rolling with their plans for 100% attendance. Add schools to everything else that's already caused problems over the summer. Let's see how things go then.
Agree if we want any chance of football it is going to have to be played asap. Basically let "fall camps" start now and try to start the season by Mid Aug

Reactions: Dean Pope
I would suggest football should be played but anyone attending has to send back their stimulus check as they are not helping the situation.... I didn’t get one and am tired of subsidizing stupidity...

I can’t help but laugh at some of you still guessing there will be no games this fall. You can tell they are doing everything in their power to make sure games happen (even if it’s a couple games or all 10 games). I’m calling it now, we will get in at least a few games before anything gets shut down and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we squeezed in all 10 games, either. GBR

The conference and their members just painted themselves into a corner. No season and no on campus classes this year.

You can't publicly recognize that your actions and allowances may kill people and take half measures without opening yourself up to huge liability. This was really stupid.

The conference and their members just painted themselves into a corner. No season and no on campus classes this year.

You can't publicly recognize that your actions and allowances may kill people and take half measures without opening yourself up to huge liability. This was really stupid.

Were they liable when H1N1 was going around?

Were they liable when H1N1 was going around?
Did they take measures to ensure the safety of people because of h1N1?

This is all about liability and recognition of the fact that there is a threat to life and having taken measures against it, but not all encompassing measures. By their actions they have recognized that by watching athletes play football games, people could die. Its no longer an "at your own risk" type of thing. Its a "we knew you might die but come on over" type of thing.

yeah but do you really trust the person next to you, that may have it, that may cough on you and then you’ll get it for not wearing a mask to prevent you from inhaling it? I sure don’t.
Do you plan on wearing a mask for 1,2,5 years? This virus is hear to stay. Best thing we can hope for is a treatment that stops it, simply because they still don’t of the cure for the cold since it’s also a virus. I will add that today’s media isn’t helping the situation, so much scare tactics and not keeping us informed on different positive treatments.

lol, my lord. You have an absolute agenda dont you my man? Keep grinding that axe why don’t you? If you are that scared, then stay home. Wrap yourself up in the bubble wrap and stay inside that isolation bubble...lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT