ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Only Season

Brilliant. You have to plan to have a season. You don't cancel it two months in advance and then realize later you could have played one.
Explain the thought process behind having a season but only with teams that you have a conference affiliation with? Less likely to catch the rona from Rutgers as opposed to Cincinnati?

Just set a date of August 1 and have set parameters for whether we play the season in totality or cancel. Review after every 2 weeks. This whole approach is silly.

Explain the thought process behind having a season but only with teams that you have a conference affiliation with? Less likely to catch the rona from Rutgers as opposed to Cincinnati?

Just set a date of August 1 and have set parameters for whether we play the season in totality or cancel. Review after every 2 weeks. This whole approach is silly.

I just think you have to plan to have a season, vs. no season at all. Too many rumors about other schools canceling their season. Do you wait until the last minute and have someone bail on you? At least here you have a lot more control over things. My opinion anyway.

I don't disagree with you. But the thought process is apparently saving as many TV dollars from the network deals as possible. It's more likely that the players would get infected off the field rather than on it so opponent wouldn't matter unless we are talking about the team traveling to locations that are hot spots.

Not sure how to react to the announcement by the Big 10. Just hoping we have some sort of a season but confidence is shaken.

maxresdefault.jpg

I just think you have to plan to have a season, vs. no season at all. Too many rumors about other schools canceling their season. Do you wait until the last minute and have someone bail on you? At least here you have a lot more control over things. My opinion anyway.
I wonder how much it will cost to get out of the contracts with the non-conference schools?

I don't disagree with you. But the thought process is apparently saving as many TV dollars from the network deals as possible. It's more likely that the players would get infected off the field rather than on it so opponent wouldn't matter unless we are talking about the team traveling to locations that are hot spots.

I thought the ultimate goal was to save lives, not maximize profits. What happens if there's a huge outbreak in Columbus Ohio? Are they allowed to cancel? What makes big10 teams any different than any other team if the goal really is to limit the spread/death toll?

I thought the ultimate goal was to save lives, not maximize profits. What happens if there's a huge outbreak in Columbus Ohio? Are they allowed to cancel? What makes big10 teams any different than any other team if the goal really is to limit the spread/death toll?

If your at risk stay home

Reactions: huntered
Well said. I don't have an answer to any of that, but my guess is that there may be built in bye weeks or even a week or two at the end of the season where a game could be moved by to. Or... since we're lucky to have any football at all at this point, just cancel the game and some teams may only play nine games, maybe eight games, whatever.

I hope they plan on starting the schedule as soon as possible. I don't see any logic in moving it back toward fall or even playing in November. COVID is expected to be worse by then anyway and it's not like the pandemic numbers will get better in early August anyway. Just wait until these schools get rolling with their plans for 100% attendance. Add schools to everything else that's already caused problems over the summer. Let's see how things go then.

Personally I love the idea of home and away games with all divisional opponents. We get 2 shots to beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.

Because within a conference you can come up with terms to amend the contracts across the board to make sure everyone is abiding by the same guidelines (testing, etc.)

with non conference games, the contracts are done and can’t necessarily be amended easily.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Not sure how to react to the announcement by the Big 10. Just hoping we have some sort of a season but confidence is shaken.

maxresdefault.jpg
If you stopped pouring the water in at that point its half full. If it started full and ended up at that point its half empty, right?

What would happen to the independent teams like Norte Dame, etc? They play a mix of teams from the BIG, PAC, SEC and ACC

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Is there still talk that some B1G teams will cancel all fall sports before the season even starts? That will create an entirely different set of problems. I am guessing they will be pressed to announce this soon so a schedule can be made.

It's just the next step IMO before the football season gets switched to Spring.

I have to wonder what financial penalties may be associated with cancelling the non-conference games. We initiated the cancellation so will we have to pay a cancellation fee or still pay the full payment we contracted with those schools to play us? If it's the full contracted payment that would be a big windfall for those schools.

And the other open question is what does this do to both the Fall practice schedule and the actual schedule of the conference games? Will we still begin Fall practices as previously scheduled? That will have to be clarified quickly because official workouts would have begun very soon per the last practice schedule.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT