Big Ten Only Season

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by JohnRossEwing, Jul 9, 2020.

1. John_J_Rambo

John_J_Rambo Junior
    Expand Collapse

NikkiSixx likes this.
  2. Blackshirt316

Blackshirt316 All-American
    Expand Collapse

It's so they have everything under one roof so to speak in order to make adjustments and decisions on the fly as quickly as possible.

Travel isn't really an issue, these teams all have team buses and team planes and team hotels/facilities so these guys are more isolated and sterilized flying halfway across the country than most people are just going to the grocery store.

husker2612, headcard and NikkiSixx like this.
  3. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

So basically the hope is that someone is a clear-cut division champion. Thats rational and a reasonable position because at least you're playing for something beyond w-l record. I still think the approach overall is silly and probably makes it more likely there is no season, but Moos is taking the best approach possible.

NikkiSixx and John_J_Rambo like this.
  4. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

I’m all for playing everyone in the West division makes the most sense...
    Playing 12 conference games is pushing the envelope and don’t see this happening when the commissioner said “ we will be playing 10 conference games”

5. TheBeav815

TheBeav815 Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

12 conference games is even worse for NU's record prospects than 10. Pretty much guarantee we pick up Michigan and MSU with 12 games. Michigan is a loss, MSU I would give the edge to the home team.

I assume he wants 12 games for the money. I don't see how you can possibly hold normal home games with very many fans this year, is the TV money on a per game basis?

NikkiSixx likes this.
  6. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

exactly.. you want to fulfill the tv contract with the same number of games. otherwise, they are going to ding you on what you earn

7. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

They would be better off just waiting until spring and playing the whole season then. As soon as one team or college campus has a major outbreak, they are going to shut down sports again anyway.

After the election in November, nobody will care about Covid anymore. So just wait and play in the spring.

Husker.Wed. and headcard like this.
  8. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Then what? Follow it up with a fall season a few weeks later? Would kids that are early enrollees be eligible to play in the spring? What does that do to their time clock? How do we handle transfer players?

9. leodisflowers

leodisflowers Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Who cares about the schedule. Give me football so at least I have something to talk and bitch about.

10. GBRforLife1

GBRforLife1 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

TennesseeHusker75 likes this.
  11. Red I 73

Red I 73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

This all ties back to tv revenue. Isu and UNI are not conference members. BIG needs to fulfill it's tv obligations and having 10 games over 13 weeks amoung conference members allows BIG to move games around in case a game may be affected by covid. Just because your ticket says a certain game will be played on a certain date doesn't mean it can't be moved in season. Be ready to be flexible.

171 Red I 73, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    headcard likes this.
  12. skull N crossbones

Expand Collapse

My initial reaction was it's stupid to play conference only games but now I see it's a last resort. The flexibility is the key because there absolutely will be hiccups. Everyone is desperate for the tv money. Moos is just trying to squeeze some extra money out of the deal knowing we stand to gain financially more than most by adding 2 more games. Very glad to have Moos as AD right now.

13. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

That flexibility should include the possibility of having non-conference games. Let's say Iowa St and Nebraska both have their opponents cancel, they should be able to schedule each other.

huskerfan1414 likes this.
  14. skull N crossbones

Expand Collapse

Agree that would be best but I suppose it might be too hard get everyone to agree to testing procedures for that ooc game and get an opponent to agree as well. Some schools might be able to afford big ten testing procedures. That's why the conference only schedule makes it easier, one set of guidelines.

15. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

If thats what the dictating measure is, just cancel the season altogether. The conference really painted themselves into a corner. This whole thing should have been predicated on national death rate and not positive tests amongst the team. How do you set a protocol for testing that doesn’t basically equate to a few hours before the game and have it mean anything? By that time, everybody has traveled and prepped for the game. TV is lined up just to be canceled shortly before the game. This just can't work. Even if they say that testing occurs immediately after the prior game, there's still 6 1/2 days for players to test positive and then transmit it to the next guys. Its just a totally unworkable model.

16. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if teams would consider having a few non-conference "scrimmages" in the spring, to make up the lost revenue from non-conference games in the fall? We could scrimmage Iowa State, Kansas State, Missouri?

17. Red I 73

Red I 73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

The problems with going with death rate is initially doctors didn't know exactly how to treat it. Experimentation and research brought solutions which have lowered the death rate. If you don't believe this is real and serious, I'm here to tell you it is. I'm a covid-19 survivor. Happy to say I didn't suffer the extremes but believe me the level I was at was no picnic

18. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's real and dangerous. I'm just looking at how to navigate a football season and just see no way possible of doing it with a moving target.

19. Red I 73

Red I 73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

I'm watching high school summers sports here in Iowa discontinue their seasons because of players testing positive. I think it will be possible to start a college season, but am not optimistic that it can be finished. As the old Stones song goes "you don't always get what you want."

scarletred likes this.
  20. SkerInCo

SkerInCo Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Meh, you act like none of the other teams' schedules will get more difficult. If anything, the standings at the end of the season will be more accurate than one with a handful of teams that banked off 3 easy non conf wins.

21. jlb321

jlb321 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

22. Baxter48

Baxter48 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Time to call off fall and winter sports

23. indy1203

indy1203 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Are the masks in Chicago bulletproof?

nwualum likes this.
  24. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

25. leodisflowers

leodisflowers Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

26. scarletred

Expand Collapse

Could be a possibility that when changing these schedules that Kevin Warren might decide having everyone play games in their own division and the possibility of playing home and home with the exception of one team..

27. 9and4

9and4 Junior
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that's mathematically possible with a seven-team division.
    If Nebraska doesn't play Illinois, and Iowa doesn't play Northwestern, and Minnesota doesn't play Purdue, then Wisconsin doesn't play .... ????

You'd have to play four teams twice (8 games) and two teams once (2) for 10.

28. scarletred

Expand Collapse

I should have brought up that is going by a 12 game schedule and providing the season gets started on Labor Day weekend..

9and4 likes this.
  29. John_J_Rambo

John_J_Rambo Junior
    Expand Collapse