ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten kicks off in 2 weeks: What will see in 2020?

The SEC and Big 12 are showing a lot of offense and less defense in 2020.

Will the Big Ten see more offense and less defense than traditionally seen?

Ohio State averaged over 48 points per game in 2019.

Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State all scored over 30 points last year.
  • Ohio State put 56 points up over Michigan
  • Penn State put 34 points up over IU
  • Michigan put 45 points up over Notre Dame
  • Indiana put 38 points up on Nebraska
  • Wisconsin put 37 points up on Nebraska
  • Iowa put 49 points up on USC
  • Northwestern put 29 points up on Illinois
  • Minnesota put 40 points on Illinois
  • Nebraska put 42 points up on Illinois
  • Purdue put 31 points up on Nebraska
  • Illinois put 37 points up on Michigan State
  • Michigan State put 40 points on Indiana
  • Rutgers scored 21 points in 38-21 loss to Ohio State
  • Maryland put 48 points on Rutgers
Is it just me or is it going to be a wide open Big Ten in 2020, though Ohio State appears clear favorite.

Plenty of questions around the league.

Week 1 -
  • Is Penn State at IU a trap game for PSU in Week 1?
  • Purdue is trying to determine which 3 guys will start at QB, heading inside 2 weeks?
  • 2018 was a breakout year for Northwestern .... will QB Patrick Ramsey boost the Wildcats?
  • Wisconsin #2 QB will have to lead, after Jack Coan is injured in practice, but rinse and repeat worked in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019 for Badgers.
  • Minnesota returns most of their offense, but only 4 starters return on defense, so how goes Golden Gophers in 2020?
Clemson, Alabama and Georgia win again, but Florida, LSU and Texas both fall today.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskernation1973
No one has yet commented on what we will see from NU. Frost will surely get a pass given the COVID situation, but I think 5-4 would be a stretch with a tough schedule and mostly carryover players from last year’s hot mess.

It is Ohio State all the way. They are head and shoulders above everyone else. The only thing that will stop them is a Covid outbreak

Agree, unless there is an early loss?

Ohio State at Penn State is tall order in Week 2. Penn State got them 24-21 in 2016.

Urban Meyer fell at home Week 2 at home against OU in 2017. Same year they got rolled by Iowa.

In 2018, it was at Purdue. But, Ryan Day was 13-0, until Clemson beat them 29-23 in 2019.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Only team that might knock them off is Penn St..Stranger things have happened but with some breaks and Nebraska playing a flawless game you never know what might happen on Oct 24..

Scott Frost's first year was 36-31 there. Ohio State is coming off a 29-23 loss. They were coming off a 49-20 loss in 2018.

Only 4 starters are back on defense. New offense players for QB Justin Fields to work with.

Empty stadium.

Ole Miss gave Alabama some grief.

No one has yet commented on what we will see from NU. Frost will surely get a pass given the COVID situation, but I think 5-4 would be a stretch with a tough schedule and mostly carryover players from last year’s hot mess.

Frost is 6-12 in the Big Ten. A 4-4 record would clearly be a nice step for the program.

A healthy team, after Week 1 would be a good start with with Week 2 in an empty stadium in Lincoln.

It will be interesting to see how Big Ten football plays out in 2020.

B1G West is wide open!

The SEC and Big 12 are showing a lot of offense and less defense in 2020.

Will the Big Ten see more offense and less defense than traditionally seen?

Ohio State averaged over 48 points per game in 2019.

Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State all scored over 30 points last year.
  • Ohio State put 56 points up over Michigan
  • Penn State put 34 points up over IU
  • Michigan put 45 points up over Notre Dame
  • Indiana put 38 points up on Nebraska
  • Wisconsin put 37 points up on Nebraska
  • Iowa put 49 points up on USC
  • Northwestern put 29 points up on Illinois
  • Minnesota put 40 points on Illinois
  • Nebraska put 42 points up on Illinois
  • Purdue put 31 points up on Nebraska
  • Illinois put 37 points up on Michigan State
  • Michigan State put 40 points on Indiana
  • Rutgers scored 21 points in 38-21 loss to Ohio State
  • Maryland put 48 points on Rutgers
Is it just me or is it going to be a wide open Big Ten in 2020, though Ohio State appears clear favorite.

Plenty of questions around the league.

Week 1 -
  • Is Penn State at IU a trap game for PSU in Week 1?
  • Purdue is trying to determine which 3 guys will start at QB, heading inside 2 weeks?
  • 2018 was a breakout year for Northwestern .... will QB Patrick Ramsey boost the Wildcats?
  • Wisconsin #2 QB will have to lead, after Jack Coan is injured in practice, but rinse and repeat worked in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019 for Badgers.
  • Minnesota returns most of their offense, but only 4 starters return on defense, so how goes Golden Gophers in 2020?
Clemson, Alabama and Georgia win again, but Florida, LSU and Texas both fall today.
Don't think there are any trap games in Week 1. Everyone will be so anxious to play. Indiana is the "sleeper" team in the East. Indiana can beat PSU but it won't be because PSU was looking ahead. FYI, OSU beat Rutgers 56-21 in 2019. We (OSU) definitely have questions on D ( DT and secondary). We have good depth at DE and linebacker. Offensively, I think we can be as good as last year.

Reactions: cidsports
Nebraska to .500 in 2020?
  • 2018, Ohio State won 34-31, but you have to wonder what the 3rd season will bring to the Huskers in this unprecedented year?
  • 2017, at Penn State 56-44, this game will be challenging, but never say never, with it in Lincoln!
  • Wisconsin, 41-24 and 37-21 ... should be a good game, though UW is good, solid program that grinds out most victories, but only 2nd start for redshirt freshman QB.
  • At Iowa, back to back 3 point losses should make this game a Must Watch on hopefully, Black Friday
  • At Northwestern, 34-31 loss and 13-10 win; this game will be a dog fight, as it seems each game in this series has become? Mike Riley's team won there in 2016, so Evanston on the turf.
  • Minnesota ... mid December game in Lincoln in this unprecedented season. In 2018, score was 53-28 win.
  • Purdue - lost two games to Jeff Brohm, who is 2-1 vs. Nebraska, Iowa, but only 12-15 overall in B1G. Who plays at QB, walk-on lead them to win last year there?
  • Illinois - 54-35 was score last time in Lincoln, 42-38 there last year.
Any Given Sunday was a good movie. Win or lose, eight B1G games.

Don't think there are any trap games in Week 1. Everyone will be so anxious to play. Indiana is the "sleeper" team in the East. Indiana can beat PSU but it won't be because PSU was looking ahead. FYI, OSU beat Rutgers 56-21 in 2019. We (OSU) definitely have questions on D ( DT and secondary). We have good depth at DE and linebacker. Offensively, I think we can be as good as last year.

Indiana has lost back to back one possession games against James Franklin's Nittany Lions.

IU doesn't open well in Big Ten typically. Like Purdue, 0-3 in B1G openers. Purdue is 0-3 in season openers under Jeff Brohm. IU only loss in season opener was a Big Ten game.

This would seem to be a tough one. No fans may test PSU out of the blocks.

This is the season to play as your practice, with empty stands.

I hope we see 2 or 3 games this season but with the Covid protocols in place I’m not optimistic

Still upsets me that we’re waiting another 2 weeks to play..
Yesterday would have been a great day to start the season.

Look at the nice weather we’re missing out on now, wait till the last 2 weeks in December with worse weather and higher chances of potentially getting Covid...

Still upsets me that we’re waiting another 2 weeks to play..
Yesterday would have been a great day to start the season.

Look at the nice weather we’re missing out on now, wait till the last 2 weeks in December with worse weather and higher chances of potentially getting Covid...

How many days (practices) are needed to get into condition?

Players have been off more than any season in their playing careers, due to the pandemic and rules in the Big Ten.

Purdue Jeff Brohm was asked about getting ready and practicing.

Teams were locked down in August. Didn't get back into real practice mode, until September 30th.

The product around college football has been unprecedented.

This isn't high school football.

How many days (practices) are needed to get into condition?

Players have been off more than any season in their playing careers, due to the pandemic and rules in the Big Ten.

Purdue Jeff Brohm was asked about getting ready and practicing.

Teams were locked down in August. Didn't get back into real practice mode, until September 30th.

The product around college football has been unprecedented.

This isn't high school football.

The SEC did it by the end of September....Don’t give me this the B1G couldn’t do it they chose not too,Majority of school presidents dragged their feet and didn’t want to play it seemed like that to the whole country..

The SEC did it by the end of September....Don’t give me this the B1G couldn’t do it they chose not too,Majority of school presidents dragged their feet and didn’t want to play it seemed like that to the whole country..

The SEC had the best plan of all of college football. The ACC and Big 12 plan was simply to start play.

The Big Ten was absent a plan, and deeply screwed it up.

The SEC plan has worked. The Big Ten can save face, if they can get 56 games played.

The +1 if played, could really give Big Ten a boost, but only the SEC has a solid plan out of the blocks.

Reactions: IowaHuskerFan3
The SEC had the best plan of all of college football. The ACC and Big 12 plan was simply to start play.

The Big Ten was absent a plan, and deeply screwed it up.

The SEC plan has worked. The Big Ten can save face, if they can get 56 games played.

The +1 if played, could really give Big Ten a boost, but only the SEC has a solid plan out of the blocks.

Lol..Like I said we’re wasting good weather just so we can play 2 regular season games in December..:rolleyes:

Lol..Like I said we’re wasting good weather just so we can play 2 regular season games in December..:rolleyes:

The SEC had a plan. They pushed back to end of Sept, while Big Ten planned a revised 10 game B1G schedule that was poorly designed. Pulled back without any plan.

Ultimately, testing brought the B1G and Pac 12 back into the discussion. Because the programs were halted, Big Ten lost the calendar on training, when the halted the season.

The Big Ten said, January. Well, that wasn't going to work, as Urban Meyer shared this year.

The Big Ten didn't have the vision and plan, like the SEC.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Nebraska with a 4-4 season is a total bust to me. I'm not giving anyone a free pass this season, we're all playing by same rules. If anything this extended fall workout/camp has been a big plus for us. I think 6-2 is possible and I would be thrilled. 5-3 more likely and I'm ok with it. 4-4 is a sinking ship. I did not include the 9th game because I'm not sure where we will end up in the standings.

Yep.....the B1G made a gigantic mistake. Lazy and uninformed....I’ve never been a conference honk and I’ve always hated the B1G and this hasn’t helped to change my mind....Starting later was never going to work and was a huge mistake and now Nebraska has to live with the consequences....oh well....

The B1G showed major lack of leadership. The goal should have been to find a way to play as safely as possible, not avoiding playing at all costs.

Totally agree that B1G can save face by not losing a single game to COVID and show that its protocols worked.

I have doubts that unless an SEC player dropped dead that they would be honest and halt any games they need.

Good luck this season Huskers. Hope you will 'em all but one.

Go Bucks!!!

I think Martinez might have a good year. With no fans present, he's not going to feel as much pressure, and he plays much better with less pressure, so things line up for him to possibly have a good year. I still think he is a liability to the team overall and hate that talent transferred out of the program so their careers could not be infected by his issues.

I expect our defense will have trouble stopping the run.

If we get our running game going, we got a chance, but coach should slow down the scheme, because then it will look more like a ball control type of game on both sides of the ball, which is the opposite of Frosts scheme.

I think Martinez might have a good year. With no fans present, he's not going to feel as much pressure, and he plays much better with less pressure, so things line up for him to possibly have a good year. I still think he is a liability to the team overall and hate that talent transferred out of the program so their careers could not be infected by his issues.

I expect our defense will have trouble stopping the run.

If we get our running game going, we got a chance, but coach should slow down the scheme, because then it will look more like a ball control type of game on both sides of the ball, which is the opposite of Frosts scheme.

I don't love Martinez either and would rather see Luke, but I guess I missed where the talent transferred out because of him. Did I miss something there?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT