ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten coaches talking anonymously about other teams.

1. I agree with a lot of what is said about Nebraska.

2. I always feel like these are completely made-up and not really coaches’ quotes.

SEC Coaches accused CBS Sport Columnist Dennis Dodd of making up quotes for an article like this one a few years ago. It came to light when two coaches asked each other if either had actually spoken to Dodd. They then asked a few other coaches, and everyone agreed they had only talked about their own programs to Dodd.

So that could always be a possibility. However, if you go back and look at quotes from Kirk Ferentz over the years, he often uses the term, "On the hoof."

There is no doubt in my mind that Ferentz made those comments about Nebraska.

Reactions: headcard
Heh I read this thread first, figured the comments in the article were going to be brutal...then read the article, pretty well said honestly and 100% the truth. Our program is rudderless at the moment and what little faith I still have in Frost will be 100% gone if he can't get to a bowl game this year.

Frost got absolutely ****ing wrecked and there were zero lies. Their company line of "we need to start winning" is very accurate.

I think Frost tried UCF/Ore type football and discovered it wasn't goin g to work. He started the transformation last year and this is why Robinson bolted. This year will be more in line to what he run the remaining time he is at NU; more of a power football game and a lot less reliance on the QB.

Reactions: az dave
I think Frost tried UCF/Ore type football and discovered it wasn't goin g to work. He started the transformation last year and this is why Robinson bolted. This year will be more in line to what he run the remaining time he is at NU; more of a power football game and a lot less reliance on the QB.
There has not been one season since Frost has been the head coach at Nebraska that his offense resembled what they did at Oregon or UCF. Definitely not enough to say we tried it and it didn't work.

Martinez wouldn't have played at Oregon and wouldn't have beat out Milton at UCF. His reads in the passing game are slow and often poor. Both Mariota and Milton were much better throwers of the ball and ran only when needed. I could say that you will see more of the Oregon and UCF offense going forward with the types of QBs he has recruited in Haarberg and Torres. Receivers making plays and the RBs doing to the running of the ball.

There has not been one season since Frost has been the head coach at Nebraska that his offense resembled what they did at Oregon or UCF. Definitely not enough to say we tried it and it didn't work.

Martinez wouldn't have played at Oregon and wouldn't have beat out Milton at UCF. His reads in the passing game are slow and often poor. Both Mariota and Milton were much better throwers of the ball and ran only when needed. I could say that you will see more of the Oregon and UCF offense going forward with the types of QBs he has recruited in Haarberg and Torres. Receivers making plays and the RBs doing to the running of the ball.
I've been counting the days to Haarberg's first start since the first pass he uncorked in the spring game

the AM era cannot end soon enough for me, Frost and the rest of Husker Nation. at its absolute best, we're in purgatory, hoping against hope to just make a bowl and beat a few of the mediocre teams in our division. at its worst, we're several circles deep in hell.

I mean, look at this throw by Haarberg! from practice today (AM is in the background, suppose it could've been Smothers throwing but also LOL yea right):

Last edited:
I've been counting the days to Haarberg's first start since the first pass he uncorked in the spring game

the AM era cannot end soon enough for me, Frost and the rest of Husker Nation. at its absolute best, we're in purgatory, hoping against hope to just make a bowl and beat a few of the mediocre teams in our division. at its worst, we're several circles deep in hell.

I mean, look at this throw by Haarberg! from practice today (AM is in the background, suppose it could've been Smothers throwing but also LOL yea right):

Where are you seeing who's throwing the ball

Where are you seeing who's throwing the ball
AM is standing in the background, so it's not him

smothers can't throw, so odds are it's not him

I suppose it could've been maskar, but my money is on The Howitzer delivering that beauty

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC

Hopefully you’re wrong because last year was as ugly as it gets. He should reconsider going back to the Oregon/UCF style if last year is his long term plan. Lucky for us, Oregon/UCF vs whatever he calls an offense now…he still has a love affair for swing passes.

Also, if his plan is no longer to have high scoring shootouts he should have sent his buddy Chinander packing. Sure he’s been better than Frost(not saying much) but that’s not the guy you want running your defense if you want defensive battles.

SEC Coaches accused CBS Sport Columnist Dennis Dodd of making up quotes for an article like this one a few years ago. It came to light when two coaches asked each other if either had actually spoken to Dodd. They then asked a few other coaches, and everyone agreed they had only talked about their own programs to Dodd.

So that could always be a possibility. However, if you go back and look at quotes from Kirk Ferentz over the years, he often uses the term, "On the hoof."

There is no doubt in my mind that Ferentz made those comments about Nebraska.
I’m not saying the quotes are certainly made up, but if someone did take the time and effort to do so they’d likely research the coach’s speaking tendencies and implement them.

Reactions: Cornicator
Hopefully you’re wrong because last year was as ugly as it gets. He should reconsider going back to the Oregon/UCF style if last year is his long term plan. Lucky for us, Oregon/UCF vs whatever he calls an offense now…he still has a love affair for swing passes.

Also, if his plan is no longer to have high scoring shootouts he should have sent his buddy Chinander packing. Sure he’s been better than Frost(not saying much) but that’s not the guy you want running your defense if you want defensive battles.
He was remembering 2nd half Rutgers. We're back, baby! LOL

I’m not saying the quotes are certainly made up, but if someone did take the time and effort to do so they’d likely research the coach’s speaking tendencies and implement them.
I have always thought they chatted with other coaches on staff about this stuff and not the HC's. Just seems like an easier get.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
"Your most talented offensive players are jumping ship, and it’s because you put their film on and you can’t find an identity." Who does this refer to besides Wandale? He left to be closer to home, either that or because he wants the ball less. I don't know how an offensive identity could feature him more. Probably in better ways, for sure. As for Luke... talented at what? This all sounds like low-level staffers who got excited someone wanted to talk to them, but don't actually know any more than you or I. Just regurgitation of what we all know already.

Reactions: timnsun
@Tuco Salamanca I spy with my little eye yet another poster with zero clue how this offense, as billed by the head coach, should look.
How is that Oregon/UCF offense working for Frost in the B10 so far? Haarberg isn't Marcus Mariota and unlike the AAC, Big Ten teams actually play defense. How the offense should look is meaningless. What matters is W/L and that isn't looking so good. I remember when three consecutive losing seasons was considered a disaster.

How is that Oregon/UCF offense working for Frost in the B10 so far? Haarberg isn't Marcus Mariota and unlike the AAC, Big Ten teams actually plays defense. How the offense should look is meaningless. What matters is W/L and that isn't looking good.
as Tuco said, we're not running it.

I know reading is hard. perhaps take a few extra days to really digest the complex thoughts you're choosing to comment on prior to showing your ass to the board.

thanks in advance, and you're welcome.

P.S. the b1g doesn't play defense, they play abysmal offense (ohiost excluded, of course). there's a difference.

as Tuco said, we're not running it.

I know reading is hard. perhaps take a few extra days to really digest the complex thoughts you're choosing to comment on prior to showing your ass to the board.

thanks in advance, and you're welcome.

P.S. the b1g doesn't play defense, they play abysmal offense (ohiost excluded, of course). there's a difference.
LOL calm down bro. Eat a snickers bar.

How is that Oregon/UCF offense working for Frost in the B10 so far? Haarberg isn't Marcus Mariota and unlike the AAC, Big Ten teams actually play defense. How the offense should look is meaningless. What matters is W/L and that isn't looking so good. I remember when three consecutive losing seasons was considered a disaster.
3 yards and a cloud of dust, cause B1G. Yank, yank, Splooge.

I watched the first game vs Colorado in 2018 a year ago and it just leaves you completely bewildered with what has gone on here. Freshman QB taking it to the house on the zone read, dropping a long dime for another TD, tempo, 550 yards or whatever it was. If you had told me we'd be 12-19 in our next 31 games after that one, I'd want you admitted to a mental institute.

I watched the first game vs Colorado in 2018 a year ago and it just leaves you completely bewildered with what has gone on here. Freshman QB taking it to the house on the zone read, dropping a long dime for another TD, tempo, 550 yards or whatever it was. If you had told me we'd be 12-19 in our next 31 games after that one, I'd want you admitted to a mental institute.
Very true. I was at that game and seemed like just had a few things hold us back that game from it being a big time blowout. Never thought we would be where we are today after that

Reactions: huskerfan1414
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT